• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Here's a question (and probably not the one you're expecting) for the hardcore lore nerds in regards to a character from Argonia:

Is it ever explained in the game why Prince Charmles is named "Damon" in battle? Is the Royal Family of Argonia one of those where you have a dozen names just for being born? I read all the books and talked to everybody in the town and castle when I arrived and I don't remember it being mentioned.

I just got done with the Arcadia leg. On to a land of ice and snow when I wake.

Here's a question (and probably not the one you're expecting) for the hardcore lore nerds in regards to a character from Argonia:

Is it ever explained in the game why Prince Charmles is named "Damon" in battle? Is the Royal Family of Argonia one of those where you have a dozen names just for being born? I read all the books and talked to everybody in the town and castle when I arrived and I don't remember it being mentioned.

I just got done with the Arcadia leg. On to a land of ice and snow when I wake.

So I don't know the answer, I just wanted to say that yikes, you're fast with this game. I have a ways to go to catch up with you. I guess I shouldn't have spent hours farming Liquid Metal Slimes for fun.

Just got on the new continent and got the alchemy pot. Back to the point I reached in the PS2 version. The improvements in the 3DS version are really appreciated. Being able to hold onto skill point and thinking about where I want them instead of being forced to use them at level up is great. the Photo side quest is fun so far, and gets you to look around more. The second screen map makes exploring easier as well.

So Far I have Yangus with some points in Axe and Humanity, with a large pool of unused points to spend. The Hero has points in Fisticuffs, Courage and a bit in Sword. Having Defending Champion makes using the Hero as a healer much easier. For the khalamari boss, I was able to use the skill to negate the damage from his flame breath attacks on the Hero. It also helped me fight some tougher roaming enemies early, like that Creme Slime.

Honestly, I absolutely love DQ8, but maybe my opinion doesn't line up with more die-hard DQ fans.

I think DQ8 is amazing in any form. Unless you're so hung up on performance, graphical prowess, etc... DQ8 in any form is worth playing. Heck, I'd be crazy enough to even recommend the mobile version on the iPhone if someone did not have access to DQ8 in any other platform. And yes, I own that game on every platform that it's come out on so far. I am aware of the poorer performance and lack of symphonic soundtrack and voice acting, but I also recognize the useful mobile controls and other quality of life improvements in that version as well.

If playing on a portable handheld 3DS is the only way you'll get through this game, then do it. It's amazing even on the 3DS. The improvements and added features only make this version even more accessible compared to a once slower game. The only compromises are less lighting and clarity when it comes to the graphics and also the symphonic soundtrack is out and replaced with a midi version. But with that said, the downsized screen of the 3DS makes up for some of the loss in graphical power and the midi version is surprisingly good with or without headphones.

The art style makes this game timeless even with a graphical loss. The world, translation, whimsy, and charm of the game carries this game forward and made it age well. Give it a shot. I rank DQ8 up there among Persona 4, Final Fantasy 9, and Skies of Arcadia as my all time favorite JRPG's. So take that as you will.

I suppose the good thing is I'm not going to compare the experience to the Ps2 version, having not played that one. I can just take the 3ds version for what it is. Thanks again for the advice :)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
To me, this feels like shitty game design when you're manipulating the field of enemies to this degree just by turning the camera. This is never intended functionality and I haven't seen it rear its head since PS1 days and emulator save scumming.

Only rendering on-screen enemies is likely performance related.

I suppose the good thing is I'm not going to compare the experience to the Ps2 version, having not played that one. I can just take the 3ds version for what it is. Thanks again for the advice :)

No problem. Any other DQ fans on this board will probably give you the same advice. All of them are amazing, but DQ8 is my personal favorite, so I think it should be experienced regardless of platform.

It's one of those rare games that make you actually feel like you're on a real adventure in a giant charming and whimsical world. The atmosphere in DQ games, especially DQ8 is more akin to Star Trek (more optimistic, bright, vision of the future) than Star Wars (darker, more bleak, vision of the future).

You should play it and tell us what you think in this thread! I'm always curious to see what people think of this game.

So for Jessica, do whips still trump knives even with the TDL nerf? I'm assuming I'll go staves, whips, and her unique

Looking at this set up:

Hero: Swords, Spear, unique
Yangus: Axes, Scythes, unique
Angelo: Bows, Staff, unique
Jess: ?, staff, unique

If I'm going this route with everyone, any suggestions on what to focus on first for each person? So far I've gone Swords for hero and Axes for Yangus

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So what's the consensus on this port? Is it considered the definitive version? I bought the Ps2 version cheap a few years ago but never got to it.

I'm a little late but I'll say my piece anyways.

It's the definitive version. It adds Director's Cut-esque additional stuff like new characters and scenarios. Lots of quality of life improvements too. Only real issue is us not getting the orchestral OST, though the arranged soundtrack is quite nice at least.

If visual fidelity is an issue, well all I can say is that Japan loves the 3DS, and this was obviously made with Japan in mind. If you like 3DS, then that shouldn't be a problem, as it's one of the best games visually on the platform, and battles actually operate in 60 FPS. The game is not compromised.

Anoxida

So for Jessica, do whips still trump knives even with the TDL nerf? I'm assuming I'll go staves, whips, and her unique

Looking at this set up:

If I'm going this route with everyone, any suggestions on what to focus on first for each person? So far I've gone Swords for hero and Axes for Yangus

It does seem like whip nerf along with knife buff makes knives preferable.
I would chose fisticuff for yangus instead of scythe if youve started with axes. Thin air is great for clearing. I wouls actually get thin air before anything else. It got nerfed a little but I hear its still good.

Looking at this set up:

I think it depends on what you want to get out of this game. Just clearing the game, then experiment and have fun. If you want to go up against the post-game content then maybe a little more focus will do by looking at skill guides.

I'm going to assume you want to stand a good chance in the post-game content. So I'd recommend getting abilities that will help with Metal Slime hunting, too, for quicker level gain and therefore quicker skill point gain.

For Hero, I think your'e fine with your set up. If you want Gigagash then put all points into Swords to 100 and Courage to 100 to get the ultimate ability. However, if you don't care, then I'd say focus more on Spears first since it's a powerful weapon throughout the game. It's only at the post-game where you realize that Swords really shines.

For Yangus, I say just put all points into Axes until Executioner since it's a powerful attack that also doubles as a Metal Slime killing technique. I personally don't find any of his other weapons and abilities that useful, so I put them all into Humanity afterwards. Maybe some other skills here and there for fun. But basically Axes then Humanity.

For Jessica, I'm doing Staff until like 57 first to get Caduceus for free healing, then more into Staff for more MP and MP Recharge since she's my main offensive magic user. Then I put some points into Sex Appeal since the later abilities are great. For weapons...I don't know how bad Whips are now and I'm still going through the game, however, I think Whips is still pretty good. Knives I never liked as much, but if the changes from a few pages back are true, then perhaps knives are the way to go this time for maximum offense. I still magic is the way to go for her though.

For Angelo, if you want quicker offense from him, I'd recommend Swords instead of Bows. But Staff is great for him as well since he's my main healer for most of the game. Charm, I only put into like 13 points just to get that Snicker/Grin thing, which helps in some battles randomly at times. Otherwise, I put it all into my main weapon of choice. I usually go Swords or Bow for him. If I'm more serious about post-game stuff, I go Swords. If I want to mess around, I go Bows. With that said his ultimate bow, when used in battle as an item gives free healing, so regardless of whether I make him go swords or bows, I always put that bow in his inventory to use in battle.

The final knife skill is her best physical skill but there's still a pretty wide gap between Great Argon and near the end of the game where there's no real good function for knives. All the other knife skills aren't particularly powerful and her strength stat is low to begin with.

As usual she's most effective by focusing on staves

kenta

Has no PEINS
Is there any way to re-spec? via a Namingway-type character or item or anything? I've been dumping points into boomerangs and whips because I like hitting multiple targets but you guys are worrying me

Is there any way to re-spec? via a Namingway-type character or item or anything? I've been dumping points into boomerangs and whips because I like hitting multiple targets but you guys are worrying me

I don't think there's a way to re-spec in this game.

With that said, I wouldn't worry if I were you. The game is balanced enough that if you just focus on 2-3 skill paths, you'll be more than fine even until post-game dungeons and bosses.

Boomerangs are awesome. The final ability, when tension/psyched up is awesome. It's a thing of beauty to throw the boomerang at a group of like 5-8 enemies and see half or all of them go down.

Whips are still pretty good, but I normally stop at 23 skill points for Twin Dragon Lash and focus on Staves for Jessica. With that said, the one time I went to full Whips with Jessica, I thought she was still really useful.

Another point to think about, let's say you aren't happy with Jessica, well...you can always switch her out with one of the two new party members. This wasn't possible in the old game because there were only 4 possible party members.

Overall, you'll be fine. Just enjoy the game the way you want to. Don't worry so much.

There is no way I'm afraid. But I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The game can be completed without obsessing over where to allocate skill points. The builds are viable, some just more effective than others.

In the PS2 version you couldn't even see the skills ahead of time. You had no choice but to just go with whatever you felt if you didn't use a guide.

You should play it and tell us what you think in this thread! I'm always curious to see what people think of this game.

I likely won't have it for another month, but I'll be sure to follow with some impressions soon after.

I'm a little late but I'll say my piece anyways.

It's the definitive version. It adds Director's Cut-esque additional stuff like new characters and scenarios. Lots of quality of life improvements too. Only real issue is us not getting the orchestral OST, though the arranged soundtrack is quite nice at least.

If visual fidelity is an issue, well all I can say is that Japan loves the 3DS, and this was obviously made with Japan in mind. If you like 3DS, then that shouldn't be a problem, as it's one of the best games visually on the platform, and battles actually operate in 60 FPS. The game is not compromised.

Cool, that sounds great. I'll be tracking this thread over the next few weeks until I jump in.

I likely won't have it for another month, but I'll be sure to follow with some impressions soon after.

Cool, that sounds great. I'll be tracking this thread over the next few weeks until I jump in.

There's so many games coming out early this year that look great. It's insane. With that said, I knew the moment DQ8 came out that I'd be playing that game over the newer games like Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0 and so many other worthwhile games.

Anoxida

Where the heck is this golden monster after killing 30 cats outside trodain castle? Is there a photo sidequest guide somewhere?

Judging by how much faster the game seems to be, I wonder if it's possible to finish this in 30-40 hours. I've just finished the Maella Abbey scenario and
Angelo joined my party.

Aeana

The final knife skill is her best physical skill but there's still a pretty wide gap between Great Argon and near the end of the game where there's no real good function for knives. All the other knife skills aren't particularly powerful and her strength stat is low to begin with.

As usual she's most effective by focusing on staves
Jessica can equip swords by putting points in the knives line.

With the buffs, an oomphed sudden death is extremely powerful. Even more than twin dragon lash used to be.

That doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. I was talking about knives as a skillset, not knives as weapons.

Also it's only more powerful than the old Twin Dragon Lash when paired with swords with special effects like the Blizzard Blade. Though the overall drop in attack power between the Blizzard Blade and the Gringham Whip means it's going to be pretty close unless you boost her strength with seeds(or level up a ton) to help minimalize the effect of enemy defense. Of course if it's a boss that's not immune to sap you can just remove its defense but things aren't always that convenient.

Jessica can equip swords by putting points in the knives line.

With the buffs, an oomphed sudden death is extremely powerful. Even more than twin dragon lash used to be.

Yikes, I forgot she can wield swords, too. Hm...I should probably try your suggestion in this run.

Early-game Jessica is pathetic, her defense is pitiful (especially when she's prone to getting ganged up on by enemies, which I seem to experience more often), and there aren't really many places where I can buy better equips. In comparison, Yangus and MC are much better at taking damage.

Readability. I didn't want people looking at it and mistaking it for the OT for VII.
That's fair!

I wasn't complaining or anything I just thought it was like a running joke or something and I LIKE TO BE A PART OF THINGS

anyway this game is still incredibly good while at the same time not being like what i remembered At All

redcrayon

Just had my first party wipe, on the second boss! Good to see it's not pulling its punches, DQVII felt much easier to me. I suspect because Thin Air was so easy to get on everyone and a bit broken in terms of power/cost. Now I'm looking at how many skill points I'm getting and realising that even if I don't max them out, it's only really worth pursuing two or three skill chains. Loving the fast start as well- it's good the way it fills in the backstory in small doses rather than taking 6 hours to get going.

I think it depends on what you want to get out of this game. Just clearing the game, then experiment and have fun. If you want to go up against the post-game content then maybe a little more focus will do by looking at skill guides.

I'm going to assume you want to stand a good chance in the post-game content. So I'd recommend getting abilities that will help with Metal Slime hunting, too, for quicker level gain and therefore quicker skill point gain.

For Hero, I think your'e fine with your set up. If you want Gigagash then put all points into Swords to 100 and Courage to 100 to get the ultimate ability. However, if you don't care, then I'd say focus more on Spears first since it's a powerful weapon throughout the game. It's only at the post-game where you realize that Swords really shines.

For Yangus, I say just put all points into Axes until Executioner since it's a powerful attack that also doubles as a Metal Slime killing technique. I personally don't find any of his other weapons and abilities that useful, so I put them all into Humanity afterwards. Maybe some other skills here and there for fun. But basically Axes then Humanity.

For Jessica, I'm doing Staff until like 57 first to get Caduceus for free healing, then more into Staff for more MP and MP Recharge since she's my main offensive magic user. Then I put some points into Sex Appeal since the later abilities are great. For weapons...I don't know how bad Whips are now and I'm still going through the game, however, I think Whips is still pretty good. Knives I never liked as much, but if the changes from a few pages back are true, then perhaps knives are the way to go this time for maximum offense. I still magic is the way to go for her though.

For Angelo, if you want quicker offense from him, I'd recommend Swords instead of Bows. But Staff is great for him as well since he's my main healer for most of the game. Charm, I only put into like 13 points just to get that Snicker/Grin thing, which helps in some battles randomly at times. Otherwise, I put it all into my main weapon of choice. I usually go Swords or Bow for him. If I'm more serious about post-game stuff, I go Swords. If I want to mess around, I go Bows. With that said his ultimate bow, when used in battle as an item gives free healing, so regardless of whether I make him go swords or bows, I always put that bow in his inventory to use in battle.

I don't think there's a way to re-spec in this game.

With that said, I wouldn't worry if I were you. The game is balanced enough that if you just focus on 2-3 skill paths, you'll be more than fine even until post-game dungeons and bosses.

Boomerangs are awesome. The final ability, when tension/psyched up is awesome. It's a thing of beauty to throw the boomerang at a group of like 5-8 enemies and see half or all of them go down.

Whips are still pretty good, but I normally stop at 23 skill points for Twin Dragon Lash and focus on Staves for Jessica. With that said, the one time I went to full Whips with Jessica, I thought she was still really useful.

Another point to think about, let's say you aren't happy with Jessica, well...you can always switch her out with one of the two new party members. This wasn't possible in the old game because there were only 4 possible party members.

Overall, you'll be fine. Just enjoy the game the way you want to. Don't worry so much.

Thanks for the posts

Thanks for the posts

No problem. I hope it helps.

I remember using this guide a lot when I first started playing DQ8 a decade ago:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583527-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/33338154

I find that it helps a lot pre-planning what you want your party to be like. For instance, you really only need one or two characters to be Liquid Metal Slime killing machines, the other two can be more fun. If you go healing, then it may surprise most people that the Hero is the best healer by the end of the game, so you may want to focus him on more magic via Courage skill tree than 3 weapon skill trees. I've even made a party of all Fisticuff specialists just for fun. So it's totally possible to mess around with the skill trees as long as you max out 2-3 of them. If you spread your skills out too thin, then you will run into some trouble. Aside from that, you're golden.

Hyoukokun

I have another Argonia question for someone familiar with the original Japanese version.

I noticed three distinct pronunciations of Prince Charmles' name. His dad says "char-mulls", the Prince himself says "charm-lay", and one of the peasants says what we're all thinking and lets "charm-less" slip. What were the original puns here - are they at all comprehensible to someone non-Japanese?

Pancake Mix

I'm not going to speak for the creator of this OT, but as the creator of the majority of the DQ OTs on this site, I don't use Roman numerals period. My primary goal in any form of communication is clarity, and I've seen so many people confuse and/or misread Roman numerals that it became apparent to me that there is no advantage to using them when Arabic numerals are much clearer and easier to read for a larger number of people.

Damn, I mean, I guess that's fair if that's how you feel. I usually use them because they're what makes sense to me for a title of a work. I consider them pretty clear and I think most people have no problems.

Roman numerals IV life

Damn, I mean, I guess that's fair if that's how you feel. I usually use them because they're what makes sense to me for a title of a work. I consider them pretty clear and I think most people have no problems.

Roman numerals IV life

I could barely read that. What the heck is IV? Are you in the hospital or something?

I'm kidding. But like a previous poster said, I noticed some online review sites listing Dragon Quest 7's cover art under 8's. Brilliant.

Pancake Mix

I could barely read that. What the heck is IV? Are you in the hospital or something?

I'm kidding. But like a previous poster said, I noticed some online review sites listing Dragon Quest 7's cover art under 8's. Brilliant.

Well I mean, Fahrenheit and US customary measurements are a lot more confusing than using I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X in my view. There's a very clear pattern to those numbers and you can make them with any keyboard.

Sorry I went off-topic.

Well I mean, Fahrenheit and US customary measurements are a lot more confusing than using I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X in my view. There's a very clear pattern to those numbers and you can make them with any keyboard.

Sorry I went off-topic.

No, I totally agree with you. I like using Roman numerals, but I know there are definitely people who have trouble with them. It reminds me of that episode in Simpsons where Bart didn't pay attention in school for Roman numerals and was in a situation later where he has to decide which door to open and get to safety, otherwise he'd get mauled by a tiger behind other doors. Apparently Rocky V and Rocky II adds up to Rocky VII was his solution.

I have another Argonia question for someone familiar with the original Japanese version.

I noticed three distinct pronunciations of Prince Charmles' name. His dad says "char-mulls", the Prince himself says "charm-lay", and one of the peasants says what we're all thinking and lets "charm-less" slip. What were the original puns here - are they at all comprehensible to someone non-Japanese?

Most likely there just weren't puns there. The majority of that stuff is added in localization

Hyoukokun

For those complaining about the game being too easy: wait until you get to (spoiler from when my characters are around level 26)
what I assume is the first of multiple Dhoulmagus fights. He whupped my butt good, even with a bunch of healing items laid down. I figured it was an unwinnable fight, based on the damage he was dealing; nope, got sent right back to the church in Baccarat.

Guess it's time for me to do some grinding...

ed: looked up an old PS2 FAQ; I appear to be super under-leveled for this fight. Sigh.

Aeana

For those complaining about the game being too easy: wait until you get to (spoiler from when my characters are around level 26)
what I assume is the first of multiple Dhoulmagus fights. He whupped my butt good, even with a bunch of healing items laid down. I figured it was an unwinnable fight, based on the damage he was dealing; nope, got sent right back to the church in Baccarat.

ed: looked up an old PS2 FAQ; I appear to be super under-leveled for this fight. Sigh.

You're not. I never reach that fight higher than level 25. You should be able to beat it fine at 26.
As soon as one of the clones goes down, the fight becomes dramatically easier, so focus one of them down ASAP.
Make sure you're using some buffs, although don't overbuff since they can be canceled. Boosting defense once or twice will go a long way.

What Aeana said above is totally accurate. I've been in that fight both under level 25 and also at level 30 (where Angelo gets Multiheal). Obviously, the fight is a cakewalk at level 30 because of that. However, if you under level 25, you can still beat that boss by following Aeana's advice. It's basically what I do. Also, ice attacks suck, so don't buff yourself up too much or try going high tension to 50 or 100 all the time. Also, if you aren't in the habit of using them already, some items can be used to cast free buffs or healing. If you have any such items or can alchemize some, then do it. It's helpful during that boss fight as well as future bosses, since it saves you MP as well.

Speaking of alchemy, if you're interested in crafting helpful armor and such, try using this guide to see what's "optimal" or better armor than the ones you have at this point in the game:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583527-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/40808249

I remember the first time I played DQ, I had to get my mindset out of the "Final Fantasy/JRPG" style gameplay where I had to grind to overpower the bosses. DQ is one of the most balanced JRPG's out there where buffs/de-buffs actually help so much. Lowering an enemy's defense and increasing your own defense helps a lot. Increasing attack power helps tremendously as well. You can totally beat bigger, badder bosses even when you're under leveled according to those Gamefaqs.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
At the Abbey now. I've played through twice on PS2 - stopped at Pickham the first time and Baccarat the second. Third time's the charm, eh?
I thought that sentence in Yangus' voice.

I remember riding a tiger around or something when I quit last time.

Yeah I assume that having multi-heal would make that battle far easier, but I don't think the game expects you to have it by then. I just usually power through with sheer attrition because it's the only fight in the game I don't have a set strategy for -- too much can go wrong too quickly.

EDIT: Just got to Argonia region. The monsters are indeed more vicious in how they approach you. I actually kind of like it a bit after all the casual strolling around the overworld I've been doing heh.

Here's some photos...

So, number one, I'm never making story progress again because I did something in a desert. And then I got crazy lucky.

40mvP3H.jpg
I can't figure out Roulette so I'll stick to Bingo.

Number two is one of Jessica's many alternate costumes. I have three right now and this one is the most annoying because it requires all four armor slots.

3EpwlUX.jpg
Bunny Girl Jessica!

Number three is a magical talking wall, because it might be the only non-spoilery picture I've taken. You can't tell me that isn't hilarious.

5jXK0lx.jpg

Cameron's Codex is one of the best sidequests/side activities ever implemented in a JRPG. I find myself slowing down and looking at the scenery a lot more, and it doesn't stop just because I found all the Gold Slimes.

I'm wondering when I should use a fire spell from Jessica instead of an ice one. For example: Jessica learns Crackle at Lvl 16 (ice) and Sizzle at Lvl 20 (fire). By default Crackle is stronger so what's the point with Sizzle costing more MP and being weaker? I did not saw an enemy yet where I should use Sizzle instead of Crackle.

I also spend my points towards staffs after whips (23 points for Twin Dragon Lash), but actually using a staff as a weapon seems rather pointless, atleast until the first 20 hours. Do not need the additional MP right now.

Linkura

EDIT: Just got to Argonia region. The monsters are indeed more vicious in how they approach you. I actually kind of like it a bit after all the casual strolling around the overworld I've been doing heh.

Interestingly I went to Argonia right after I got the ship to get the items there and shop, and the overworld monsters in that region didn't go after me at all. Maybe because I was so underleveled? Hah.

Here's some photos...

So, number one, I'm never making story progress again because I did something in a desert. And then I got crazy lucky.

40mvP3H.jpg
I can't figure out Roulette so I'll stick to Bingo.

Number two is one of Jessica's many alternate costumes. I have three right now and this one is the most annoying because it requires all four armor slots.

1. There should be guides on Gamefaqs for Roulette that make it so much easier to win.

2. That costume only requires 3 items, not 4. Bunny suit, Bunny headband, Fishnet Stockings.

Anoxida

I'm wondering when I should use a fire spell from Jessica instead of an ice one. For example: Jessica learns Crackle at Lvl 16 (ice) and Sizzle at Lvl 20 (fire). By default Crackle is stronger so what's the point with Sizzle costing more MP and being weaker? I did not saw an enemy yet where I should use Sizzle instead of Crackle.

I also spend my points towards staffs after whips (23 points for Twin Dragon Lash), but actually using a staff as a weapon seems rather pointless, atleast until the first 20 hours. Do not need the additional MP right now.

Although I can't give you and example I'm pretty sure there's mobs who are immune to different elements.

Interestingly I went to Argonia right after I got the ship to get the items there and shop, and the overworld monsters in that region didn't go after me at all. Maybe because I was so underleveled? Hah.

Ahh I just got the ship. And now I kind of want to do that too. But I'm already OP enough.. hmm.

Top Bottom