• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Anoxida

Can spears match end game and post game content? That'd my only hold back is just haven't ever done spears, but I'm intrigued. I just don't wanna be gimpy for later stuff.

I mean you can grind some metal king slimes (best with spear) to gain higher levels and pick up all sword points as well. You'll need the levels anyhow. It's what im doing. Sword is better for post game content but spear is better for main game and farming.

clem84

Gold Member
The creme de la creme photo assignement thing. You're supposed to kill 30 slimes and this monster is suposed to come out. Is it difficult to get? I've defeated the slimes and I'm just going around farebury over and over, day and night. I did this for 30 minutes and I didn't see it. Is it normal for it to take this long?

Fauve

The creme de la creme photo assignement thing. You're supposed to kill 30 slimes and this monster is suposed to come out. Is it difficult to get? I've defeated the slimes and I'm just going around farebury over and over, day and night. I did this for 30 minutes and I didn't see it. Is it normal for it to take this long?

Have you tried going into town and then coming back out to spawn it?

Linkura

Should be at the intersection directly south of Farebury. Make sure you enter and exit a town before going after it after being the 30 enemies.

clem84

Gold Member
Should be at the intersection directly south of Farebury. Make sure you enter and exit a town before going after it after being the 30 enemies.
Admitedly, I never went as far as that intersection. I was literally circling the town. Maybe that was the problem. I went back into town and exited and went at the intersection and it was right next to it on a hill.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man getting the orchestral soundtrack set up was a pain in the ass, but it's worth it. It's so much better. I couldn't go back to the MIDI soundtrack...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I haven't gotten to play this as much as I'd like so far (at Ascantha), but really enjoying it so far. Been surprised at how much I've been laughing, the characters have a ton of personality.

LeonSPBR

Out of curiosity, can anymore who has more than 4 party members tell me how experience is distributed to members that didn't actively participate in battle?

They get the exp normally, as if they fought.

One interesting thing is that you can only bring 4 chars to a cave, the other char becomes unable to participate in battles. He stays behind to protect the carriage.

LeonSPBR

Yeah, you need
flying to get to the areas with some of the strong monsters
. Why must you be so difficult to recruit, awesome guy? Are you going for the
Golem trio
or another team?

Got Red and thanks to keeping up my Cameron's Codex, I've also got her very va-va-va-voom alternate outfit. Not sure if she has more than one, but it is the most obvious choice so you'll know it when you see it.

Golem trio as a safety net, but I'll try others as well.

Linkura

One interesting thing is that you can only bring 4 chars to a cave, the other char becomes unable to participate in battles. He stays behind to protect the carriage.

This is standard for DQs, no surprise. Keeping up with dat tradition.

Should be getting Morrie soon. Will be fun to see how he plays.

This is standard for DQs, no surprise. Keeping up with dat tradition.

Should be getting Morrie soon. Will be fun to see how he plays.

Its interesting how much effort Dragon Quest puts into some of that feeling old school vibe (like hiding XP unless you go to a church).

Won't void your warranty, they have no way of telling a hacked 3DS as long as you remove the files.

Keep in mind that link was specific to 11.2 firmware on an old 3DS. Go back to http://3ds.guide if you're interested.

Well it might void your warranty, many things that require warranty invocation would make it hard or impossible to remove a9lh from NAND like not booting or broken screens.

It's normal for Jessica to lag behind around this point in the game. It takes a good while before she starts catching up to the others. At least that's how it's always been for me.

I think reviews criminally undersold the photo feature and sidequests. I'm about to mass image dump my second full set of photos into imgur, and I've taken a bunch more on Miiverse. I'd say I've easily taken between 225-250 photos, and I'm still hours away from finishing the game.

It's normal for Jessica to lag behind around this point in the game. It takes a good while before she starts catching up to the others. At least that's how it's always been for me.

I found something similar with Ruff in 7, it was well into the 30s by the time he caught up. The Dragon Quest XP curve is weird.

I am loving this game, but I have one question:

Is there a way to gain skill points other than leveling up? When I reach level cap will I stop gaining skill points?

With Hero I started with sword, then moved to boomerangs and now I kind of want to use spears, but I wanted to use swords as well.

Is there a way to gain skill points other than leveling up? When I reach level cap will I stop gaining skill points?

With Hero I started with sword, then moved to boomerangs and now I kind of want to use spears, but I wanted to use swords as well.

You can also get skill seeds which grant skill points.

I think reviews criminally undersold the photo feature and sidequests. I'm about to mass image dump my second full set of photos into imgur, and I've taken a bunch more on Miiverse. I'd say I've easily taken between 225-250 photos, and I'm still hours away from finishing the game.
Yeah, I know I said before that the photo quest is not what I look for in DQ, but I have become addicted to it. The quests are well made, and help with further characterizing the game's world and its inhabitants. I enjoy the little write-ups for each one as well. Definitely a worthwhile addition that adds to the world of DQVIII by making you take note of the details more, and explore further in a different way.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Yeah the photo hunt is probably my favorite thing about the game right now, that and the OST. The graphics are pretty "ehhhh" compared to another fully 3D JRPG like Xenoblade 3DS.

But that photo hunt... so much fun! Ive never played Pokémon snap, but I imagine that this is what the fuss is about. I love doing poses and adding stickers are crap. We need to be sharing more here in this thread! I'll have to upload some of mine. I love seeing other people funny stuff.

Golem trio as a safety net, but I'll try others as well.

My Three Golems destroyed the S-Rank Arena for me on the very first try. Morrie was the only potential problem, luckily they did a round without transforming and took his LMS out with a single crit. I've been trying here and there with other team combos and it seems worthless to me. Especially since Morrie starts at a slightly higher level than Red does. Dimples all the way.

I did the photo transfer so I can play again. Now time to take more photos! I'm out of money though and want a bunch of shopping for the Alchemy. Because being able
to fly
is expensive. Also
there's an undead shopkeeper I need to feed a ton Gold to

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Good to know. I got her to my party yesterday and I was like, "Wow she sucks in every category and has no useful skills."

Raw64life

I've spent the past couple of sessions farming them. The enemy load in when you turn the camera is so effective for farming them it feels like cheating!

I got to Trodain yesterday and gained a few levels hunting metal babbles on the 3rd floor. There are certain spots where you can stand and pan the camera back and forth and it will constantly respawn enemies all over the place. Usually takes no more than 20-30 seconds to get one to show up.

Linkura

I overleveled myself pretty badly on the LMS island (SW corner of map). I was low 30s when I ended up fighting Dhoulmagus and he was a joke.

bronk

Banned
I found my ps2 strategy guide. Its such a nice guide and has a nice fold out map of all the arena monsters. This game is so much fun just like I remember. I got a lil scared after playing 7 that I may not enjoy 8 again because its been so long. Man I really didnt like 7 especially the laggy feeling ui (granted I did come from smt apocalypse which had a very snappy ui)

Arkeband

Banned
People need to start tweeting the DragonQuest twitter handle until they explain the item download feature - we're going to be finished with the game and it's still going to be inactive.

redcrayon

I like the way not every vignette ends in a boss fight. It's nice the way sometimes it's just a heartwarming or sad moment and then you hit the road again.

Crumbtiny

I'm in a similar situation. I started with swords and courage (9 in swords, 8 in courage) and have a single point in boomerang. But spears sound pretty legit too. Is it redundant to have swords and spears on the main character? I'm guessing trying to max out 4 skill categories is a no go. It sounds like I wouldn't need to max out boomerangs though...thoughts?

Also, i still just have two characters so I'm sure I'll have a later one do up spears.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Did the PS2 version have the camera codex mission stuff?

It's really one of my favorite things about this game. And the orchestral OST. Seriously, every owner of this game needs to take the time to install custom firmware. It's the least barrier to entry that there's ever been. You don't need any special specific game or software or anything like that. The guide that's been posted a million times in this thread, is so detailed and easy to follow. All it takes is time.

Highly recommend it yall. That soundtrack is so good, it's worth your time to get it done.

epmode

The entire soundtrack isn't orchestrated, right? The town music that plays at night is mostly synth for me. (I just want to make sure I didn't screw up when I converted the files)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The entire soundtrack isn't orchestrated, right? The town music that plays at night is mostly synth for me. (I just want to make sure I didn't screw up when I converted the files)

You know... I'm not sure. I'll pay attention when I play tonight

itschris

I noticed that too - it seems like that specific song just isn't orchestrated. You can hear it in the actual Japanese version here (jump to 31:37 if the link doesn't start there for you):

https://youtu.be/Ss8B82NSCS4?t=31m37s

Sorry for the guy talking over it, it was hard to find gameplay of the Japanese 3DS version.

GeekyDad

I've spent the past couple of sessions farming them. The enemy load in when you turn the camera is so effective for farming them it feels like cheating!

Yeah. they pretty much do that in every DQ game it seems. It's less like cheating in DQ, though, than merely making grinding a little less of a chore and bit more fun.

I randomly fought the monster before getting to Port Prospect.

It was kind of hard at the time, but probably something easily beaten new. I think it was by Farebury if I remember right

Anoxida

Did the PS2 version have the camera codex mission stuff?

It's really one of my favorite things about this game. And the orchestral OST. Seriously, every owner of this game needs to take the time to install custom firmware. It's the least barrier to entry that there's ever been. You don't need any special specific game or software or anything like that. The guide that's been posted a million times in this thread, is so detailed and easy to follow. All it takes is time.

Highly recommend it yall. That soundtrack is so good, it's worth your time to get it done.

It did not have the camera sidequest, no. I was not planning to use the camera function at all but it ended up being the greatest addition to this port.

epmode

I noticed that too - it seems like that specific song just isn't orchestrated. You can hear it in the actual Japanese version here (jump to 31:37 if the link doesn't start there for you):

https://youtu.be/Ss8B82NSCS4?t=31m37s

Sorry for the guy talking over it, it was hard to find gameplay of the Japanese 3DS version.

Yeah, that's definitely synth. Another synthy song plays in the town with Jessica's manor, but only at night.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
People need to start tweeting the DragonQuest twitter handle until they explain the item download feature - we're going to be finished with the game and it's still going to be inactive.

I'm starting to think they don't plan on distributing anything with that feature in the West.

Top Bottom