• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Forgive my laziness to go through the whole thread but is there some simple summary here or in any website that you would recommend for skill points distribution for all characters?
I just started the game, 2 hours in and I wouldn't mind going with a pretty good plan for this.

Also, literally nine posts above yours:

You can't really mess up your build for the main game. Try to focus on one main weapon for each character (rather than spreading yourself too thin), remember that you can un/equip weapons in battle through the Item menu, and when it doubt, grind for levels. You'll be fine.

This is the skill FAQ that I like to use: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583527-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/33338154

I'm near the end of the main story and have staves and sex appeal maxed out with Jessica. Now I'm not sure what to do with the remaining points. Normally I would've put them in Whips (at least the 23 points for Twin Dragon Slash), but as this has been nerfed considerably I'm not sure if it's still worth it. So what would people suggest? Is Twin Dragon Slash still feasible for the post-game bosses, or should I rather invest 52 points in Fisticuffs for Evasion up?

I've got a similar problem with Angelo. He has 76 points in Bows (probably too much, I know), 52 in Charisma (for Chilling Chuckle) and 80 in Staves (don't know if I really need MP regen).
Should I also put 21 points in Fisticuffs for his Evasion up? (as people always tell you that in the post-game, it's better to avoid getting hit rather than having a high defense).

Any suggestions from the veterans here? ;)
Thanks in advance.

Zesh

I'm near the end of the main story and have staves and sex appeal maxed out with Jessica. Now I'm not sure what to do with the remaining points. Normally I would've put them in Whips (at least the 23 points for Twin Dragon Slash), but as this has been nerfed considerably I'm not sure if it's still worth it. So what would people suggest? Is Twin Dragon Slash still feasible for the post-game bosses, or should I rather invest 52 points in Fisticuffs for Evasion up?

I've got a similar problem with Angelo. He has 76 points in Bows (probably too much, I know), 52 in Charisma (for Chilling Chuckle) and 80 in Staves (don't know if I really need MP regen).
Should I also put 21 points in Fisticuffs for his Evasion up? (as people always tell you that in the post-game, it's better to avoid getting hit rather than having a high defense).

Any suggestions from the veterans here? ;)
Thanks in advance.

If you're planning on doing the post-game content, get 100 Fisticuffs for Jessica for Magic Burst, as it's very useful for some of the bosses. Twin Dragon Lash isn't very good now; Sudden Death is her best option for single-target damage.

For Angelo, get 68 Fisicuffs for Defending Champion, which is also useful. The evasion bonuses are also useful, as you pointed out.

itschris

There are reports on GameFAQs that the Download Bonus Items feature has finally started - the first item is apparently a Candy Cane. Though for whatever reason it's inconsistent and some people are still seeing "No bonus items are currently on offer" - me included. Perhaps it's still in the process of being fully rolled out. Still, everyone should check for themselves to see if they get anything (it's under the "Misc." section of the menu).

There are reports on GameFAQs that the Download Bonus Items feature has finally started - the first item is apparently a Candy Cane. Though for whatever reason it's inconsistent and some people are still seeing "No bonus items are currently on offer" - me included. Perhaps it's still in the process of being fully rolled out. Still, everyone should check for themselves to see if they get anything (it's under the "Misc." section of the menu).

Can confirm, just got the item (Candy Cane).

Its a sickle that seems primarily useful for Metal hunting since it always does exactly 1 damage by its description.

I'm in PAL timezone / country but using a US 3DS with a US DQ8 copy.

Raw64life

Snowed in so I played this all day. Did the Altor of Wroth, grinded to level 55 and beat every Dragovian Trial except for the very last one. Not sure if I'll bother since I probably need to kill another 50 metal slimes to get to the recommended level for it and I don't care about getting every single monster/every single alchemy/every single photo challenge, etc. So, there's really nothing else for me to do in this game. Will probably just do the true ending and pick Jessica just for kicks and call it a game. At 47 hours currently. Boy is this game fantastic though. A top 10 all time favorite of mine.

Just tried it. No luck.

Oh my god,
dhoulmagus 2nd form
is such a massive difficulty spike.

Previous bosses were really easy because after a couple of buffs you were nearly invincible. But this guy takes away all defensive buffs, all offensive buffs, and all tension and then hits you with a powerful magic spell in a single turn.

I'm pretty stuck. Any tips? I prefer not to grind, but I'm willing to go out and get better equipment. Currently levels 26 - 24.

Linkura

Oh my god,
dhoulmagus 2nd form

Previous bosses were really easy because after a couple of buffs you were nearly invincible. But this guy takes away all defensive buffs, all offensive buffs, and all tension and then hits you with a powerful magic spell in a single turn.

I'm pretty stuck. Any tips? I prefer not to grind, but I'm willing to go out and get better equipment. Currently levels 26 - 24.

You're underleveled. Go to the island in the southwest corner of the map and grind LMS for a few minutes.

MoonFrog

(about last boss) Pop-up and awkward camera angles....I just did the
seven orbs
and then I'm like okay
back to Empyrea, but she doesn't look to be there. So I go up to the arch, the Mothra girls say nothing new, so I think I must be remembering it. Wander around for a while. Look it up and I was remembering it right. Go back and pan the camera entirely when I'm right under the stone and she's there.

IDK I found that amusing.

I like the game a lot.

They got rid of so much of the Level 5-grindiness (idk if it is actually them, but after Dark Cloud I really can't think otherwise), sometimes in a broken sort of way, like telling you what can go with what in alchemy, getting rid of puzzle language in alchemy recipes, getting rid of timer, etc. Nice features when you half remember all the recipes from the first time around but I think they could have relaxed the fixing a bit. It's a bit of a tricky issue imo. The systems are designed around a certain level of time consumption, thought requirement, and money cost. All that really remains is the money cost. I'd have left some of the thought. I guess there still is the crafting efficiency game with respect to money and rare resources.

Also, fast mode looked like lightning when I first turned it on, now it looks quite tame, even slow. It is sort of painful now thinking of slow battles and random battles, and I played the game twice + that way. Metal Slimes are also easier to grind now, with them running around on the screen. I never even saw a Metal Slime the first time I played, and never a Liquid Metal Slime the second, back in the day. I had a little trouble finding a liquid metal slime in Trodain this time, but it showed up just as I was leaving instead of having to ever hunt for it.

One thing I always really liked about the game was the stages you could feel your characters going through. Well, not so good for Yangus, but like when the main character circa 30 pulls ahead of everyone in levels and starts growing more wisdom, or when Angelo/Jessica finally start building on some health. It was better this time as I was more tunneled in my skill points. I was young and foolish back in the day and liked trying all the weapons and skillsets. Going in knowing to focus this time got me a better experience growing my characters. Especially going courage on the main character and maxing that out at 38. I don't think I've ever really used zap too much in a DQ, before now :p.

Didn't do any fisticuffs yet as I was bored of thin air, scorch, etc. Did a very magic heavy run, with Yangus being a bit uninteresting. Just got him kerplunk, mastered scythes and did past hatchet man. Guess the slow march in EG is going to be fisticuffs for a lot of people.

I do like the less cluttered ability menus and personalized movesets the ability system brings, but I wish it were more flexible and forgiving like the class system. Telling people when you learn stuff is a godsend.

The xp slow down, starting in the 30s is still immense, and money is still fairly scarce when you start spending it, which you don't need to do too much. I never got more than 2-3 pieces of the
Dragovian stuff
. I hope I can ride out the grind easier this time. Always wanted to do that as a kid.

Coming off seven, I'm disappointed in the non-core cast vignettes, but glad there are core-cast vignettes, with each character having a basic narrative arc. That was one of the things seven had left me wanting. IDK. I hope 11 is a mix of 8 and 7 in this regard. And I hope it has an interesting central narrative conceit like 4, 5, and 7. I like think about story structure in DQ; think it is underrated as a story series.

EDIT: I guess what a lot of this is saying is they really noticeably cut down on the slowness of the game and it still looks like that slowness is going to catch up with the game in the EG. I guess I'll see just how much more efficiently I can level up/get money as an adult and with the new amenities.

itschris

Thanks to Starwind0420 on GameFAQs, there's a fix for anyone who, like me, was unable to get anything from the Download Bonus Items feature! Just go into your 3DS system settings and delete the extra data for DQ8 (it's in the Extra Data section of Data Management). After I did that, I got the Candy Cane on my first try.

tnZMTdQ.jpg

You'll lose your photo album/received StreetPass pictures, but nothing else - just go to Cameron first if there are any Cameron's Codex pictures you took but didn't turn in.

Managed to beat that boss I was stuck on (the one I just posted about).

Cheiron's bow was a life saver (it has free small healing for everyone in the party). That made a huge difference. Angelo basically spammed that the entire time, which allowed me not to rely on defensive buffs so much. So instead Jessica spent her time offensive buffing Yangus and hero, and they were able to get more serious damage in that way.

I also remembered to use my monster team. That was a lot of free damage.

Well, I just got really lucky this morning. Found my first Twinkle picture by complete accident. I only went in and out of the world map twice. Once from the church I saved at and once to go to Arcadia to pick up a daily purchasable skill seed.

Also, no luck for the bonus item for me. Guess I have to delete the extra data. Good thing it is just the photos and I already turned them all in.

I'm going to see if I can get the bonus items right now. it's really strange this feature was disabled for whatever reason. Did the Japanese version ever had a problem with the bonus items?

Dakhil

Does this game support multiple languages (EU) and can you change it halfway through your playthrough?

Yes to the first question and no to the second question.

In order to change the language in-game, you have to change the system language of your Nintendo 3DS.

GeekyDad

Kept reading about all the wonders that are Red, but honestly, even with her knife skill maxed out, I wasn't seeing the great benefits of her supposed damage. Sure, I'm guessing I could pump seeds into her, but I've already invested in my other characters. Just not seeing how continuing to invest in Angelo could be any worse. He's got some good bow skills, and honestly, I was quickly missing his healer/buffer/reviver role in my party. I guess if you're into the whole min/max thing, Red might be the best damage dealer, but eh...maybe I've just grown attached to everyone.

epmode

Deleting my extra data finally made the downloadable weapon appear. Thanks for the idea (even though I was sad to lose some of my pictures).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I Still can't get that first slime needed for monster arena. I just did the "venus Tear" quest.. Am I supposed to be able to capture it soon?

10 hours in and what a great game. I really love how this is the DQ with the more interactions between characters, and so nicely done (just the right amount imo), to me it is one of the biggest difference between this game and the rest of the series...hope XI will do the same.
The voices are stellar, one of the best dub in a videogame I can think of.
It makes me sad to think the core series is doing so bad in the west saleswise, it is really unfair.

Dakhil

If I delete my extra data, will it also delete the picture I'm currently sending out? I don't think I can re-create it. :(

Unfortunately, yes.

But I believe the picture you're sending out is saved on your SD card, so you could back up the picture in your SD card before deleting the extra data.

GeekyDad

Finally, they are all here.

About the game: I started just to get a feeling of how it is and I liked it more than DQ7. Voice acting is a nice touch but the font gave me a headache after a few hours playing.

No DQM Joker games or Rocket Slime (one of my all-time favorite games)? :p

Read some similar comments about the font. Not sure what the issue is. Looks perfectly fine to me.

MoonFrog

(Post-game) Up to
darksteel dragon. Still have the metal king slime monster and the helmet to get. I haven't really explored the boss rush dungeon
. I'm currently training my MC to 52 or so, as I think then he'll be less likely to wipe a large swath of my team on one turn.

I'm still running the original four, it doesn't feel right any other way tbh. I don't even have
Morrie yet. Only A rank at the the Monster Arena.
Kind of want another Thanatos Shield, so Jessica can have a goddess shield too, but the lure of filling out the alchemy book made me give the second to Yangus' Big Bad Boss Shield. Still need to gather the funds for Yangus' best Scythe and at some point set about getting Jessica a better staff, mostly for vanity purposes.

I'm working towards Lightning Storm on the hero now, have 100 courage, 66 sword, 80 some spear. Not sure it is worth it; don't know what exactly the ability is.

I'm getting Yangus thin air, before returning to get the axe damage buff. He has 34 Axe, 100 scythe, 30 or so fisticuffs, 82 humanity.

Jessica is working on fisticuffs towards magic burst; she's a far way off. Have 100 staff and sex appeal.

Angelo has 82 sword, 65 staff, and 90 some charisma. Working on charisma 100, as I'm not sure what Pearly Gates does.

Metal King Slime hunting is so much less time consuming/stressful now. Still haven't killed more than one in a battle though. I don't know how I did that when I was younger without using lightning thrust or hatchet man :p. I just used metal slash, which takes considerably longer to kill them. Do they run faster now, or did I just get lucky doing that as a kid?

I felt back in the day that
Red
should have been a character, and I still think that, but the implementation was pretty flat-footed compared to what went into setting up the other characters, which of course makes sense, given the nature of the added content.

I get that the EG structure prevents it, but I think if it worked differently they could have given you
Medea and/or Trode
to use in EG content and that would have felt less out-of-the-blue.

As I said, I don't have
Morrie
yet, but his implementation sounds fine for a secret character.

I'm kind of hyped to actually finish the
Dragovian armour/weapon set
this time. Always wanted to do that as a kid, but I think I just got the sword, ultimate alchemy pot, and maybe one more item.

In any case, it has been quite fun playing the game that gave me my avatar and my screen name (in other places, MetalKingSlime) again.

EDIT: There it is, killed two together :).

Also got Lightning storm, which seems to be kazap plus at first glance, and pearly gates. Haven't tried the latter, but looks like I'll go finish Angelo's sword skill before dipping into bow or fisticuffs.

Just finished DQ8 for the first time and thought it was really, really good. I have a copy of Builders coming in the mail today too so I'm looking forward to that. I've never played a mainline Dragon Quest game to completion besides 8 though. I was thinking about giving the SNES remake of 3 a try. Is that a good place to start?

Phoenixus

So where are the new Dungeons? Post-game now and just grinding Metal King Slimes so I can go through the Dragovian trials. Wouldn't mind some places to explore (or tips on leveling up quicker if there is a faster way).

MoonFrog

Just finished DQ8 for the first time and thought it was really, really good. I have a copy of Builders coming in the mail today too so I'm looking forward to that. I've never played a mainline Dragon Quest game to completion besides 8 though. I was thinking about giving the SNES remake of 3 a try. Is that a good place to start?

Yeah. Just be aware a) it is originally an NES RPG and b) it uses character created characters, so if what you mostly liked about DQVIII was the character stories, you might be disappointed.

But it is also a) a fantastic game, b) not a serious time commitment, and c) quite charming in its own right.

If you want heavier character focus again, I'd suggest trying V, in particular, or IV. Again both are short, accessible games and quite amazing.

You can get good versions of these games (III too) on a phone if you don't have a DS or want to import something for SNES.

In general, the core of the series story-telling is a presenting a series of vignettes, often about characters other than those in your party. It allows a refreshing scope and perspective to stories that you don't usually get in a JRPG more focused on the player character and main cast/story, but I think it turns some people off.

DQ VIII and V have a more main character/party oriented approach to the vignettes, with V being the life story of the main character and VIII having its best vignettes tied to character arcs for the main cast. IV presents the story of each of the party members before they meet the hero.

Something like VII, on the other hand, which has so many vignettes and possibly the best in the series, does not tie them to the main cast, for the most part, and I think this gives some people some trouble getting into the game.

IDK. I'm just saying this because there seem to be people who start with DQVIII and the rest of the series doesn't take, when it is really a great series that is just a bit different from other games with respect to story and I think DQVIII sort of masks that a bit when coming from outside the series, when it really shares a DQ core.

I started with DQVIII too, btw.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Thank goodness that Metal Slimes and Metal King Slimes are a thing, Liquid Metal Slimes inbtetween them I guess too although I seem to have skipped them somehow. These slimes really make the grinding a breeze.

image.php

Excellent timing.

IDK. I'm just saying this because there seem to be people who start with DQVIII and the rest of the series doesn't take, when it is really a great series that is just a bit different from other games with respect to story and I think DQVIII sort of masks that a bit when coming from outside the series, when it really shares a DQ core.

I started with DQVIII too, btw.

I know what you mean, and I did know that 8 was a bit of a departure. In my head I picture most of the games being a series of small arcs like the one in 8 with the sad king. That sounds pretty great to me.

NolbertoS

Oh my god,
dhoulmagus 2nd form

I got my ass handed too. I spent grinding 3-4 levels on purpose for experience and money. Then went back and beat him. I was initially ploughing through all the bosses and glad the difficulty is better there.

Zesh

So where are the new Dungeons? Post-game now and just grinding Metal King Slimes so I can go through the Dragovian trials. Wouldn't mind some places to explore (or tips on leveling up quicker if there is a faster way).

Go to
Neos and then the desert where you found the magic ship
. The other is unlocked via
a Dragovian trial reward
. Hunting Metal King Slimes in Heavenly Dais is the fastest way to level, but you shouldn't really need to grind for the trials, unless you're very low level (below 40).

Top Bottom