• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

NSESN

Today I stopped playing before entering Old abbey dungeon. Does someone knows the best way to spend skill points? For now i am spending it in Courage/Humanity /Sexyness since i don't know what weapon is the best for each character.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The trick on early bosses is to alternate healing with herbs so you can build tension and beat the boss in two-four massive hits.

Linkura

Today I stopped playing before entering Old abbey dungeon. Does someone knows the best way to spend skill points? For now i am spending it in Courage/Humanity /Sexyness since i don't know what weapon is the best for each character.

Red Scarlet's guide on Gamefaqs for the original has a great listing for all characters. It's a mix for just about everyone.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The trick on early bosses is to alternate healing with herbs so you can build tension and beat the boss in two-four massive hits.

Yup, that's how I did it. Built up tension and then dealt out big damage. I still really don't fully understand the tension system. I'm guessing... it's like "Braving" in Bravely Default, where you are simply storing power. I assume its better to build tension for three turns than it is to attack for three turns? Or else, why do it?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair you can't go wrong with putting points into any of the characters unique skill lines. It's super helpful on the Hero and Jessica especially.

Yup, that's how I did it. Built up tension and then dealt out big damage. I still really don't fully understand the tension system. I'm guessing... it's like "Braving" in Bravely Default, where you are simply storing power. I assume its better to build tension for three turns than it is to attack for three turns? Or else, why do it?

It's not worth it for 5 or 20 tension most of the time but the math is solid on 50 and 100 especially if you can get other characters to buff and heal the ones who are gaining tension. Eventually there's a method to really break the curve in your favor.

It's very similar to the Default system in Bravely Default. I think you should just experiment. It's a fun system that definitely takes judgment and gambling to see if you should keep psyching up or unleashing your attack.

There's an incredibly indepth stickied thread in the gamefaqs board for the PS2 version

Jay RaR

Put some hours into the game and just got passed the dreadful Khalamari fight (did one reset though). Random encounters here are wayyy better here than DQ7R lol. Menuing is super quick to, but having the Analog stick used only for movement will take some getting used to.

And I'm definitely sure Jessica has a new VA and this VA redubbed all of her lines. Her voice sounds softer than the original, but I don't mind.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's very similar to the Default system in Bravely Default. I think you should just experiment. It's a fun system that definitely takes judgment and gambling to see if you should keep psyching up or unleashing your attack.

Yeah, I meant Default, not Brave.

Cool, I'll experiment around with it.

Put some hours into the game and just got passed the dreadful Khalamari fight (did one reset though). Random encounters here are wayyy better here than DQ7R lol. Menuing is super quick to, but having the Analog stick used only for movement will take some getting used to.

And I'm definitely sure Jessica has a new VA and this VA redubbed all of her lines. Her voice sounds softer than the original, but I don't mind.

Yeah, she's the same voice actress for Jessica in the DQ Heroes game, I believe. She makes Jessica seem softer, but I think it's good. I loved the old voice for Jessica though, so if I had to choose, I prefer the original more stronger voice for Jessica. But that's ok. Still a great character.

Yeah, I meant Default, not Brave.

Cool, I'll experiment around with it.

Wait until you can alchemize a Timbrel of Tension for your party. It's awesome:

http://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Timbrel_of_tension

Branson

Are DQ7 and 8 on 3ds pretty good at pulling you in the right direction or do you need guides for these games open just in case you're not sure where to go or anything?

Meffer

Are DQ7 and 8 on 3ds pretty good at pulling you in the right direction or do you need guides for these games open just in case you're not sure where to go or anything?
I say so yeah, they added features, 7 being a great example, that help guide you on the right track.

Knurek

Just talk with your party whenever you're lost, they will give you hints on what to do.

Anoxida

11 hours in and im just about to get the 4th party member. It's funny how no RE makes me fight more than games with RE. I know the fear is that you dont fight enough mobs if you can avoid them which leads you underleveled later. However I end up battling more and finding it more fun to battle when it's on my terms. Love this new feature.

Multithrust is a beast. Really glad Im spending some points into spears this time around.

ST2K

This is my first Dragon Quest that I've spent more than a half hour in. Just got my 4th party member and I'm enjoying myself, though if this game is supposed to be 60+ hours, I can't help but think it's going to run out of momentum... We'll see.

Anoxida

This is my first Dragon Quest that I've spent more than a half hour in. Just got my 4th party member and I'm enjoying myself, though if this game is supposed to be 60+ hours, I can't help but think it's going to run out of momentum... We'll see.

Game just gets better in my opinion. There's a small stretch before the final act that drags on a bit but the pacing is actually pretty good all the way through.

After spending about 15 hours on the 3ds version I might call this game the goat of jrpgs. Yes, suikoden 2 and final fantasy 7-10 will always have a bigger impact on me but none of those games have aged very well. None of them would be such a joy to play today as DQ8 3ds with it's amazing QoL improvements. It's actually baffling that they havent remade FF games the same as they've done to their DQ games. Most ff games gets smaller facelifts while DQ gets graphic overhaul, QoL improvements and added content. Wish they did that for ff9.

Reknoc

pheeew got a holy lance from the photo challenge. Of all the new features in this version I think this one might be my favourite.

pheeew got a holy lance from the photo challenge. Of all the new features in this version I think this one might be my favourite.
Mine too. My photo album is almost full. Need to backtrack and catch a few photos still, and then I need to empty the photo folders into computer and cloud so I can take more. Addictive.

I'm just starting the Argonia leg of the journey. What a fantastic experience this is, even the second time around. I was really worried VIII wouldn't hold up well, but it has exceeded expectations.

Man. I just went through the port, and I came close to killing the squid in one hit.

Decided not to bother with power throw this time, so I just pilled everything into spears. And one 50 psyched multithrust did over 320 damage, then Yangus's thin air finished him off.

Didn't really miss power throw, and now I have thin air I guess I never will.

Man. I just went through the port, and I came close to killing the squid in one hit.

Decided not to bother with power throw this time, so I just pilled everything into spears. And one 50 psyched multithrust did over 320 damage, then Yangus's thin air finished him off.

Didn't really miss power throw, and now I have thin air I guess I never will.

Wow, that's beastly. I never specialize in any weapons until after that boss so I never see the benefits on that boss.

Dakhil

That's the first boss right? I got wiped out my first try too. Leveled up one level and got him on the second try.

... I doubt I will get wiped again! Boomerang POWAR!

Currently installing CFW, hopefully get the Orchestra soundtrack installed tonight and play it tomorrow!

No, I believe the Kraken is the second boss.

Just starting playing and I think this looks great for the 3DS. Lots of nostalgia flooding back, I can't wait to dive back in to this game. Literally the exact opposite feeling I had when I started 7 which felt like a slog from the get-go.

Spoiler warning, but if anyone needs help with the Cameron's Codex extra monster locations, I found this. Click on "記事を読む" to see map locations.

Be careful that you're killing the right monsters. I was trying to get #24 and I had been killing the more powerful palette swap rather than the weaker monster the rare spawn requires.

Kraken one of the toughest bosses in the game? I thought it was very easy with using tension.

I think it's all relative. I remember when I first played the game at release that the second boss was difficult, even the first boss was difficult for me, too. I hadn't figured out how to play DQ correctly yet. I was in my Final Fantasy mindset. Having only two party members made it more tricky as well. As I got other party members, the game became easier until the midpoint in the game's boss fight. Then it got manageable again.

Now, this game is easy and I play against most bosses very under leveled, as I assume most of the DQ veterans can. So again, it's all relative.

Anyway to share photos taken via Instagram or Facebook? I read prior to release that this was an option, I have little interest in StreetPass as nobody else I know owns this game.

Kraken one of the toughest bosses in the game? I thought it was very easy with using tension.

The octopus boss can definitely be daunting since he opens with a fire breath move that can do nearly 40 damage to both characters at the same time and you may not even have over 60 HP. Seeing that would be enough to break anyone's spirit.

It's a lot more manageable when you realize that he has a set pattern and the fire breath only comes on set turns. Every 6 turns to be exact.

The octopus boss can definitely be daunting since he opens with a fire breath move that can do nearly 40 damage to both characters at the same time and you may not even have over 60 HP. Seeing that would be enough to break anyone's spirit.

It's a lot more manageable when you realize that he has a set pattern and the fire breath only comes on set turns. Every 6 turns to be exact.

It's because of that very move that it became one of those WTH moments for me the first time I played this game. Looking back at it, other DQ games were probably harder, but DQ8 was my first DQ game I played to completion and I still consider it the hardest experience I've had with DQ.

Anyway to share photos taken via Instagram or Facebook? I read prior to release that this was an option, I have little interest in StreetPass as nobody else I know owns this game.
Not that I've seen. There is an option to get StreetPass credits through the internet if you're interested in unlocking more photo editing goodies. 8 tags every 3 hours, 3 times a day.

Here's the method I use to put them on my computer from the New 3DS. From PC to any image sharing or social media site is way easier than dealing with the Miiverse methods.

Speaking of photos, so much for the "censoring".
T1melb6.jpg

Well, sure. Playing JRPGs for many years taught me alot so I always go with a similar pattern into a boss fight (Damage Dealer, Healer). And by default I always check first what the boss has to offer in terms of attacks so I go safe and block attacks first. It may be my experience but somehow I think it's about a common sense. You don't go into a fight like this and choose your best attacks at the first round.

But I guess it's all relative as someone mentioned before.

I've always wondered how Red Slime became She-slime. From what I can tell, the Japanese name (Slime Besu) doesn't really mean anything, unless somebody can clarify on that. I've seen it translated as Slime Beth, which I guess is a girl's name.. so.. um.. She-slime? That's a stretch, though. I also seem to remember reasing somewhere way back when that blue slimes were herbivores and red slimes were carnivores and their coloring came from the insects they ate.

Nice.

stn

This is one of my first JRPG's ever. What level should I be for the first major encounter in the cave? I'm about one hour in.

This is one of my first JRPG's ever. What level should I be for the first major encounter in the cave? I'm about one hour in.
Like, level 5? It's not a huge deal.
If you can handle the Pain in the Neck and One Knight Stand (monsters with crossed swords above their head that spawn nearby) you'll be fine.

Aeana

Does this version have 100% tension? Or is 50 the highest you can go?
Just like in the original, you can't reach 100 right away. You just need to keep using it and eventually you'll break the limit. You'll know you can psyche up beyond 50 when upon reaching 50, the game no longer mentions reaching a state of high tension.

entremet

The speed increase is enormous!

I can finally replay this game over the years. Hard to that on PS2 due to its glacial battle speed.

Plus handheld.

Hazmat

In Dragon Quest if you die you go back to the last point you saved and keep all the experience and items you got, but lose half your gold. The time you spent isn't wasted. You'll die sometimes, it's how the game flows. Go for it!

rybrad

Like, level 5? It's not a huge deal.
If you can handle the Pain in the Neck and One Knight Stand (monsters with crossed swords above their head that spawn nearby) you'll be fine.
Do you get anything special for killing those enemies with the swords icon or are they just stronger versions of normal mobs?

Do you get anything special for killing those enemies with the swords icon or are they just stronger versions of normal mobs?

Those are special monsters. Beating them will give you a monster coin which can be sold for a good amount of gold. And spoilers:
They are monsters that can be put into your team for the Monster Arena.

Gloam

Just like in the original, you can't reach 100 right away. You just need to keep using it and eventually you'll break the limit. You'll know you can psyche up beyond 50 when upon reaching 50, the game no longer mentions reaching a state of high tension.

Aha, it's been a while.

Top Bottom