• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

patientx

Well, good for people who buys it for PS4. For others like me who wants to play all types of games on a handheld this kind of graphical quality sacrifice won't mean a thing as long as game has the same fun

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So now it's a handheld?

Righht. This is not unexpected, downgrades will happen and you can only imagine what this will look like on a large screen HDtv.

It is. This is the successor to the 3ds. People looking at the Switch from a console-only perspective are the main ones confused about it.

So now it's a handheld?

Righht. This is not unexpected, downgrades will happen and you can only imagine what this will look like on a large screen HDtv.

Logically, the difference in size would be the reason for the vita port.

3gb and change is a huge difference from the nearly 20gb on ps3. It has more to do with that it's a compilation than the system capability.

OmegaFax

Judging by the trailer DQ Heroes I looks better than II?

Is it really a case of them porting the PS3 version of I and Vita version of II?

Weird as hell if so...

People keep saying it's a Vita port, but are forgetting that Dragon Quest Heroes I didn't even release on Vita.... It is possible they ported DQH from PS3 and DQH2 from Vita... but that'd be pretty weird lol (b/c why wouldn't they just port both PS3 versions?)

I thought about that. My theory is that there was a Vita version in development that was scrapped and revived as a Switch release.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is this game going to be in one cartridge only?

DQH is pretty big already since it's ~22GB on the PS4 (guessing same also for DQH2).

Kacho

Well, good for people who buys it for PS4. For others like me who wants to play all types of games on a handheld this kind of graphical quality sacrifice won't mean a thing as long as game has the same fun

Pretty much. The portability of the Switch is just too good to pass up for me. A game like this will be perfect for business trips.

Effect

So now it's a handheld?

In this case it is because people are looking at and comparing the handheld/portable mode version of this game (in the official stream you see people using the Switch undocked. looking down at the screen while holding the controller as the system is designed in groups sessions) and comparing stills from a bad rip of the stream to the console version on the PS4. Now if the game looks like this or still runs at 30fps while the Switch is in docked mode we can have a different discussion. That's the not the case here though.

The Switch is both a home console and a portable. Yes in either regard it's less powerful then the PS4 for obvious reasons but it's also more powerful then the Wii U which in turn was more powerful then the PS3. So people need just stop with the stupid Vita talk in general. Games will run and likely look different depending on the mode. Of course those differences will vary from game to game and developer to developer. People need to be start making sure when they are comparing something on the Switch that they know what mode said video or or screen shot is from. Especially on a unreleased game.

Eusis

Guessing it's a port of ps3 heroes 1 and vita heroes 2 since those are the smallest filesize versions.

I don't know what does nintendo is allowing switch cards in but using vita heroes 2 would allow it to get under 32gb while using ps3 heroes 2 would put it just over 32gb. That may have been a cost saving decision.
Look at the Vita TV and Switch pictures again, the LIGHTING is similar but the portal textures looks more like the PS3 ones and the floor textures are way higher quality than the Vita.

Kacho

I'm more worried about performance than graphics

Yeah, this is a legitimate concern. The stream I saw was super rough. Couldn't tell if the issues were all game related or stream related. Would love to see some direct feed gameplay for both modes.

The (lack of) lighting is pretty bad, but the fuzzy marble and wood textures on the right side are perhaps the worst part. It's good to see these comparisons, as we've had little information about Switch performance outside of 1st party games. It's possible this is a quick port, but the textures downgrade might point to a RAM deficiency as compared to the PS4.

It is. This is the successor to the 3ds. People looking at the Switch from a console-only perspective are the main ones confused about it.

So, Nintendo is confused about its own console then? They're the ones that state the Switch is a home console that happens to have portable capability. And if it was a 3DS successor, I doubt the Switch would have the performance that it does.

hongcha

Considering a vita version of this exists, it's likely that they are using the vita assets as a base to build on switch, rather than ps4.

Best guess about heroes 2 being vita ported rather than ps3 ported is to trim down the card size. The game must be rather large between both games.

Heroes 1 is 23.7gb on ps4
Heroes 2 is ?? (Probably at least as big as the first, couldn't find any info on Google)

Total ~47gb

Heroes 1 is 18.57gb on ps3
Heroes 2 is 3.18gb on vita

Total ~22gb.

Japanese PS4 DQH2 is over 29GB, according to my install file.

The Vita version of DQH2 runs quite nicely, actually, and looks great on the 540p screen. The Switch framerate seems choppier in comparison (often sub 30fps), but I'm hopeful they will smooth that out to a consistent 30fps prior to release.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I must be using the 32 GB card... otherwise... mother of compression...

The issue is the game being rushed (well it could be depending on the framerate), but what gets compressed. From the looks of it, the PS3 version of DQH1 will be used whereas the PSVita version of DQH2 will be used, and if they're putting two games into one cart, expect more compression from both games.

hongcha

FLAC audio compression would cut all those numbers roughly in half, and you'd be looking at a 32GB card.

The lower resolution textures, simplified geometry, lack of effects, etc in the Switch version cuts it down much further. I think they'll put both of these games on a 16GB card (possibly even 8GB, if they really cut corners) -- there is no need for any more than that, judging by what they look like. Vita version of 2 is 3.1GB after all.

You're saying its the successor to the 3DS. Nintendo is saying its the replacement to their wiiU which is a home console.

Logically, the difference in size would be the reason for the vita port.

3gb and change is a huge difference from the nearly 20gb on ps3. It has more to do with that it's a compilation than the system capability.

Why make it 3gb? Because they were hardware constrained (mem card). The console has plenty of capacity and room for expansion with the mem cards you can get.

It's not confirmed for the West because it's not coming. This is Dragon Quest we're talking about here.

Just a thought, but maybe they're gearing up for another big push that we'll see at E3 or another Direct.

Imagine:

DQ Heroes I+II for the US
DQ XI for the US
DQ Character in Smash Switch port.

All announced in one video.

jackal27

Banned
Say it with me folks: It's a handheld.

I don't care what Nintendo's marketing told you, I don't care that you wish it was a console, I don't care that it has some home console features, this thing is handheld. It's a handheld in power, it's a handheld in function, it's a handheld in release, structure, and style. If Nintendo's marketing tells you otherwise, it's because they want to save face for the price, (kinda) poor battery life, and subpar portability.

Expecting anything more than handheld performance is going to get you burned.

Nintendo: Temper your expectations™

All that said, having Dragon Quest Warriors portable is worth the downgrade in my mind, but I'll stick with my PS4 versions personally.

Say it with me folks: It's a handheld.

I don't care what Nintendo's marketing told you, I don't care that you wish it was a console, I don't care that it has some home console features, this thing is handheld. It's a handheld in power, it's a handheld in function, it's a handheld in release, structure, and style. If Nintendo's marketing tells you otherwise, it's because they want to save face for the price, (kinda) poor battery life, and subpar portability.

Expecting anything more than handheld performance is going to get you burned.

Nintendo: Temper your expectations™

All that said, having Dragon Quest Warriors portable is worth the downgrade in my mind, but I'll stick with my PS4 versions personally.

All true, but it'll more likely than not put the kibosh in whatever chance Red Dead Redemption 2, etc. have in appearing on the Switch.

In other words, companion system to PS4/PC once again.

jackal27

Banned
All true, but it'll more likely than not put the kibosh in whatever chance Red Dead Redemption 2, etc. have in appearing on the Switch.

In other words, companion system to PS4/PC once again.
Oh absolutely! But how on earth did anybody not expect this already? There was no way Nintendo was cramming a PS4 into a handheld and even if they did, it's not like that's guarenteed to be a successful strategy. Think about if they had decided to go that route and suddenly the console is $500. Disaster. Then again, if they launch the exact same type of console as their competitors? Disaster. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

maxcriden

In this case it is because people are looking at and comparing the handheld/portable mode version of this game (in the official stream you see people using the Switch undocked. looking down at the screen while holding the controller as the system is designed in groups sessions) and comparing stills from a bad rip of the stream to the console version on the PS4. Now if the game looks like this or still runs at 30fps while the Switch is in docked mode we can have a different discussion. That's the not the case here though.

The Switch is both a home console and a portable. Yes in either regard it's less powerful then the PS4 for obvious reasons but it's also more powerful then the Wii U which in turn was more powerful then the PS3. So people need just stop with the stupid Vita talk in general. Games will run and likely look different depending on the mode. Of course those differences will vary from game to game and developer to developer. People need to be start making sure when they are comparing something on the Switch that they know what mode said video or or screen shot is from. Especially on a unreleased game.

Great post. Thank you for writing it all out like this. It gives me a much better understanding of the context.

jackal27

Banned
The Switch is whatever it needs to be to support my current argument.
So convenient right? Jk. I've always said and always will say that it's a handheld. Still stinks that it can't seem to have the perks of either a handheld or console, but it is what it is.

Youre a squid now, youre a kid now

Youre a console now, youre a handheld now
Man, but how much better you want to bet this is the exact marketing campaign for Splatoon 2?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing through DQ Heroes 1 on PS4 right now and the game isn't exactly a looker in the first place, it is afterall an up-port of a PS3 game, though a solid 60 FPS makes it fun to play.

The fact that the Switch version is reportedly 30 FPS is a far bigger downgrade than these visuals IMO.

ULTROS!

More fair? Switch is two console generations ahead of PS3.

And if we start comparing the Switch to the Vita, the Vita is a 5 year old portable system.

Top Bottom