• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

jackal27

Banned
And if we start comparing it to the Vita, the Vita is a 5 year old portable system.
Ok guys. Let's chill. The Switch is not a Vita. I'm playing mine right now and there is no way it could run something like Zelda. The Vita version of Dragon Quest Heroes looks exceptional though and the Switch version is a downgrade.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ok guys. Let's chill. The Switch is not a Vita. I'm playing mine right now and there is no way it could run something like Zelda. The Vita version of Dragon Quest Heroes looks exceptional though and the Switch version is a downgrade.

Vita did have Gravity Rush though and it looks great for an open world game!

Papacheeks

Banned
Kind of wishing they went with a bigger battery, and a beefier chip or higher clocks when docked, or could have added and extra processing unit in the dock itself and offered two sku's one for people who want a console and one who want a hand held.

Then have bundle that comes with both.

That would alleviate a lot of the issues the device has right now.
Its a handheld (the formfactor), not a 2 teraflops console with 200watt. It's stronger than PS3 or Wii U though. So if the game looks worse (don't want to judge it yet), blame it on Square Enix for a fast launch port to make money.

Actually knowing what we know about dev kits not going out to alot of developers, wouldn't this be Nintendo's fault? Especially not being as open in getting updates out to these skd's so a decent port would be possible.

jackal27

Banned
Vita did have Gravity Rush though and it looks great for an open world game!
No joke. I love Gravity Rush. Still, I don't think it's comparable to Zelda in terms of scope. Dragon Quest Heroes is a game made up of much smaller environments. Hell, they were able to downgrade Hyrule Warriors to the 3DS and have it still play essentially like the Wii U version. Very different games.

Slaythe

How do you think DQ11 works ?

Ps4 -downgrade mode docked ?

3ds enhanced mode portable ?

That'd be sick.

But they also kill the value of both the 3ds and ps4 version. Not sure Square would be ready to sacrifice any user base for a console that has everything to prove...

udivision

How do you think DQ11 works ?

Ps4 -downgrade mode docked ?

3ds enhanced mode portable ?

That'd be sick.

But they also kill the value of both the 3ds and ps4 version. Not sure Square would be ready to sacrifice any user base for a console that has everything to prove...

It'll the PS4 version downgraded. The PS4 needs all the help it can get if it wants to sell some copies of console Dragon Quest in Japan.

The 3DS version of this game exists because Square Enix realized that it was the only way to get the franchise-normal sales.

Kind of wishing they went with a bigger battery, and a beefier chip or higher clocks when docked, or could have added and extra processing unit in the dock itself and offered two sku's one for people who want a console and one who want a hand held.

Then have bundle that comes with both.

That would alleviate a lot of the issues the device has right now.

Actually knowing what we know about dev kits not going out to alot of developers, wouldn't this be Nintendo's fault? Especially not being as open in getting updates out to these skd's so a decent port would be possible.

They went with the biggest battery a gaming device ever had and the system shits on the vita specs. I would wait to see good footage of the finished game before i judge it. If they really ported the vitaversion (not saying that they did) it would be SE fault. That said i think the Switch version looks better.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You're saying its the successor to the 3DS. Nintendo is saying its the replacement to their wiiU which is a home console.

It is literally both. You can't say it is one thing without the other. There won't be a Nintendo handheld releasing alongside the Switch. It is the next handheld. I expect the system's graphics to not be on par with PS4/Pro level stuff. This is what you should expect as well. That isn't what I'm wanting from this console. What I'm wanting is game quantity. Those tons and tons of 3ds developers won't disappear overnight. I understand console owners are worrying about performance and graphics but in terms of game quantity, I give it about a year to year and a half to see all of those handheld devs start coming out of the woodwork with games.

Vena

You'd need a bigger case for a bigger battery, it'd get thicker and wider. The larger chip would also require larger cooling so the system just grows rather obscenely with these demands. For its form factor, the Switch has the biggest battery that can fit, along with probably the highest clocked chip that won't cause the system to catch fire and/or have <30m of battery.

SE had kits, lol. This is just a quick and dirty port.

You'd need a bigger case for a bigger battery, it'd get thicker and wider. The larger chip would also require larger cooling so the system just grows rather obscenely with these demands.

SE had kits, lol. This is just a quick and dirty port.

And you would pay for that monster battery. Switch already has a 4130mAh battery.

EDarkness

Wow I thought these kind of version differences were a thing of the past

Heh, they will never go away. Especially since people love to see things fail. Why SE would port the Vita version is beyond me. Still, probably better to wait for the game to be released to get a better comparison.

gtj1092

Seems like only yesterday the NX was going to be Polaris packing beast because there was no way Nintendo could release a console weaker than the ps4 even if they tried.

EDarkness

Seems like only yesterday the NX was going to be Polaris packing beast because there was no way Nintendo could release a console weaker than the ps4 even if they tried.

Being a hybrid killed any chance of that. It was always going to be limited by the handheld side.

Mario007

Heh, they will never go away. Especially since people love to see things fail. Why SE would port the Vita version is beyond me. Still, probably better to wait for the game to be released to get a better comparison.
Easier to upport than to downport. Same reason why Vita was getting 3ds lego upports and not console downports even when ps3 was on the market.

If the Switch sells gangbusters, it might very well turn into the PS2. Millions of players were playing inferior versions of some titles, and they didn't care. Case in point: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory didn't have loading screens within its levels and I think the levels are much bigger than the PS2 version. Didn't stop PS2 from outselling the big box.

If the Switch sells gangbusters, it might very well turn into the PS2. Millions of players were playing inferior versions of some titles, and they didn't care. Case in point: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory didn't have loading screens within its levels and I think the levels are much bigger than the PS2 version. Didn't stop PS2 from outselling the big box.

The difference between Switch and Xbone/PS4, is considerably more bigger than PS2 and Xbox.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Switch is still going to dominate the PS4 in Japan in terms of sales though.

Here's a legit question: What makes Switch look more attractive and sellable against what the PS4 has to offer now? I'm going by WW though.

Eusis

Here's a legit question: What makes Switch look more attractive and sellable against what the PS4 has to offer now? I'm going by WW though.
Both together in one package, can take it wherever, the same line of platforms as other DQ games (kind of irrelevant without BC and ends up with a slight disadvantage to PS4 if anything thanks to DQB not being announced for Switch currently.) And if you wanted a handheld version it's gotta be a damn sight preferable to the Vita version of II (nevermind one not existing at all for I.)

Halabane

Exactly my thoughts. Wonder how the ps4 graphics are while playing it on the train in battery mode? :) Its a compromise with size, battery time, cost and performance. I didn't expect my vita to be a better version than any of the ps4 games I cross bought. It was just more convenient which meant I played it more. WoFF is a example of that. There is no magic.

Schnozberry

That's not even a lower poly count. That is an unfinished version missing particle effects.

I would expect switch versions to have fewer post processing effects, simply due to memory bandwidth concerns. Specifically on older engines that do forward rendering that doesn't play nice with tiled rasterization.

XandBosch

I'd say you need to wait for a better example before making this type of comparison. There's a lot more that could be going on here to give a proper 1-1 comparison (dev-time, if it's complete, if this is somehow being streamed in "undocked" mode, etc.)

Look at something like Zelda and then look at this. This looks awful compared to Zelda, because they've probably spent a couple hours porting it to the system and/or it's incomplete.

I'd rather see a comparison on a game like Yooka Laylee, or Dark Souls (if and when that comes out). Hell, the small amounts we've seen of Skyrim on Switch (if that is what we've seen) looks lightyears better than this - there's no way DQ Heroes II is pushing what the Switch is capable of - no way.

ULTROS!

Both together in one package, can take it wherever, the same line of platforms as other DQ games (kind of irrelevant without BC and ends up with a slight disadvantage to PS4 if anything thanks to DQB not being announced for Switch currently.) And if you wanted a handheld version it's gotta be a damn sight preferable to the Vita version of II (nevermind one not existing at all for I.)

Talking about the overall consoles though lol.

DQ will never sell well WW besides Japan, and only the mainline games actually sell decently.

Eusis

Talking about the overall consoles though lol.

DQ will never sell well WW besides Japan, and only the mainline games actually sell decently.
Oh, whoop.

This clearly doesn't have the pull it once did but for me at least I do like the idea of a powerful portable device, and regardless Nintendo games always have their draw. But they alone aren't enough to be a mega hit globally (though it might still keep it relevant with stuff like Pokemon.)

FStubbs

Switch's main values compared to PS4 are portability, and that we're definitely in the "law of diminishing returns" when it comes to graphics. All of these machines are beasts.

L Thammy

This just blew my mind for one reason everyone is skipping over: The Nintendo Switch has the potential to revive the PS Vita. Imagine the easy port jobs between the two.

I did it, GAF! It's a 2012 Vita thread all over again! My time machine worked!

NMFried

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but I'm more interested in how the process of downgrading affected development.

Is it time and cost effective for devs to downgrade current-gen ports to run on the Switch?

Top Bottom