• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

EloquentM

aka Mannny
In the interest of opening this to more interesting conversation there were a few "insiders" saying the switch cards could go up to 64GBs but that they were expensive.

xch1n

Man doing that on a big scale is probably very time consuming and difficult for devs.

This is like a demaster.

Devs nowadays are required to make games ranging from Switch all the way to Scorpio,Pro and PC.

What a nightmare.

Possibly not - in fact the work may have already been done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

Or can be automated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplygon

Moral of the story is even on high-end platforms games will often have multiple versions of a model to swap in and out based on distance from camera and other factors. It could be as simple as just setting the max-LOD mesh to be a level or two below the PS4 version.

Cynar

My major issue with the Switch is that it'll miss out on the graphic heavy, size heavy AAA games that the PS4/Xbox One/PC are getting and will get if they're aiming to pull in the PS4/Xbox One/PC crowd.

Take for example FFXV. If Square Enix wants to put in FFXV in Switch, how the hell can they compress 50+ GB worth of content to say... 16GB?
This will never happen due to the hardware Nintendo has chosen to use. If it a franchise like this were to be multiplatform it would have to be severely hamstrung due to the weak switch hardware and would hold the other systems back.

Take for example FFXV. If Square Enix wants to put in FFXV in Switch, how the hell can they compress 50+ GB worth of content to say... 16GB?

It's not going to. I'm reasonably sure you've seen the extent of Square Enix' support. Games you would've seen on 3DS and Vita with upgraded technology. Which is good as long as you temper your expectations.

At best you'll get an FFXV-adjacent title, perhaps a spin-off, made with the knowledge of the Switch's specific technology and limitations.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It'd be interesting to compare Switch vs PS3 versions. I fear the Switch might not even stack up to that one either.
These PS3 comments make no sense. Wii U was on par with 360/PS3 despite lower flops because of its more modern architecture and higher ram. If switch is running zelda at 900p, MK8 DX st 1080@60 it's better than ps3/360.

This seems like a case of people overhyping themselves up. There were discussions of modern games like FFXV, Witcher 3, MvC Infinite, even Red Dead 2 coming to Switch and people bought into the "insider" "It's as powerful as an Xbox One!" hype. At the end of the day this is a $300 handheld device, people should have tempered their expectations accordingly.

Not even as powerful as ps3 really.

Uhh.. The Switch's GPU blows the PS3's away, even undocked. That GPU was roughly half as good as the one in the 360's, so it had to use Cell to help keep up with certain tasks.

This will never happen due to the hardware Nintendo has chosen to use. If it a franchise like this were to be multiplatform it would have to be severely hamstrung due to the weak switch hardware and would hold the other systems back.

Nah. Most moderns game engines can be scaled up/down without too many problems to a certain extent. In the case of FF15, though, there may be a big issue due to how troublesome that game engine is to begin with. I'm glad that they are going with UE4 now.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This seems like a case of people overhyping themselves up. There were discussions of modern games like FFXV, Witcher 3, MvC Infinite, even Red Dead 2 coming to Switch and people bought into the "insider" "It's as powerful as an Xbox One!" hype. At the end of the day this is a $300 handheld device, people should have tempered their expectations accordingly.
What insider hype? Since the switch was revealed "insiders" told people to temper their expectations and no one listened nintendo fan or not which is ridiculous considering the past 2 gens with Nintendo consoles.

lenovox1

Possiblysome 3DS Releases. I'm not certain.

The two biggest games on 3DS, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Resident Evil Revelations, both launched at $40. They're both below 4GB, though, which is below the 8GB "big daddy" size.

But I can see a game like Call of Duty getting ported and needing at least the 32GB size, if not the 64GB.

VariantX

These PS3 comments make no sense. Wii U was on par with 360/PS3 despite lower flops because of its more modern architecture and higher ram. If switch is running zelda at 900p, MK8 DX st 1080@60 it's better than ps3/360.

People thought the same of regular 3DS vs PSP for some reason early on.

StereoVsn

It's not going to. I'm reasonably sure you've seen the extent of Square Enix' support. Games you would've seen on 3DS and Vita with upgraded technology. Which is good as long as you temper your expectations.

At best you'll get an FFXV-adjacent title, perhaps a spin-off, made with the knowledge of the Switch's specific technology and limitations.
I can see SE bringing all their mobile ports of FF games to Switch. That should be extremely easy to port. DQ is all vertical on mobile so not sure about that one.

opricnik

Banned
Unless you're trying to play multiplat games on the go your decision should've always been Xb1, ps4, or PC
Does it worth to play games in much lower quality and stripped versions just for playing on Go. Not liky for me rather get vita and remote play it

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Does it worth to play games in much lower quality and stripped versions just for playing on Go. Not liky for me rather get vita and remote play it
For you? Not sure, but you seem to have a solution already. Me, I'll be playing any multiplat games on ps4. I'm part of the problem for Nintendo but that's heir problem not mine.

To me, it would be one thing if the PS4 version were 1080p/60fps and the Switch were 30fps and 900p or even 720p, but this is lower resolution (I think?) and lower fps while having significantly worse visuals.

If the Switch is really that much weaker than the PS4, I'm really worried.

Precisely, but there were and still are people convinced they're somehow going to shrink the FFVII Remake down enough to work on the system. It's not happening.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Precisely, but there were and still are people convinced they're somehow going to shrink the FFVII Remake down enough to work on the system. It's not happening.

Instead of 3 separate games on the PS4, it will now be 9 separate games on the Switch lol.

duckroll

Considering we know nothing about FFVII Remake, that's still very possible? It's episodic, it's on UE4, it's being made ground up now with the knowledge of available hardware in the future, it's developed by CC2. Anything is possible.

What about DQXI?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What about DQXI?

There's the 3DS version if the PS4 version will have problems being downported.

Also it's developed in UE4 so the PS4 version is still pretty much possible unless the game is incredibly bloated.

ecosse_011172

Sadly everything we've seen from the console suggests that once again, it's even weaker than even the most conservative estimates.
3rd part multi platform releases will be shit, sell 0 then dry up.
Thank god the Nintendo games look as fantastic as ever.

KrawlMan

There's the 3DS version if the PS4 version will have problems being downported.

Also it's developed in UE4 so the PS4 version is still pretty much possible unless the game is incredibly bloated.

I already wasn't that impressed with DQXI on the PS4. Seeinf what they've done to DQHI/2 doesn't give me much hope for a decent looking game.

Nobody should be expecting cutting edge AAA games on the Switch in the first place, especially from western 3rd parties. Nintendo hasn't made hardware to facilitate those games in more than a decade.
I'd argue that Nintendo wouldn't even get the games if the hardware could handle them. The GameCube could have handily dealt with GTA for instance.

ty_hot

I liked the results, expected a bigger difference in image quality.

Unless you're trying to play multiplat games on the go your decision should've always been Xb1, ps4, or PC

by multiplat you mean the half assed FIFA running on the PS3 engine (just like the PC lol) while PS4 and XOne have their own real current gen engine?

Here's what you're saying. You're saying console utilizing a mobile chipset that's several mobile generations powerful than a Vita is actually less or about as powerful as a Vita.

Even you know that's not true.

Are you implying that the Vita is as powerful as a PS3?

That is huge speculation. If you recall correctly the Wii U did not perform as well as the older gen in face-off's for many multiplatform titles, it doesn't seem as binary as you would make it seem. Out of many variables that may produce a more desirable output on the switch, the PS3 really did have a powerful processer and had very high bandwidth. It would be very impressive if the Switch could compete on those fronts.

KHlover

Banned
For you? Not sure, but you seem to have a solution already. Me, I'll be playing any multiplat games on ps4. I'm part of the problem for Nintendo but that's heir problem not mine.

Same with PC. I'll gladly buy exclusive games on the Switch, but if I have to choose between PC and Switch I'd likely choose PC 99% of the time.

I liked the results, expected a bigger difference in image quality.

by multiplat you mean the half assed FIFA running on the PS3 engine (just like the PC lol) while PS4 and XOne have their own real current gen engine?

We don't have any firm details on which engine it'll use.

And your info is very outdated. The PC version is the same as the console versions.

Conan-san

Well good, they can give us the not arsed up version of FF7 and call it a day instead of whatever gobledegook FF7 Remake will turn into.

v1oz

Those screen shots in the OP look like either a bad rushed port or it's still an extremely early version. The level of detail and geometry is below Xbox 360 level. Even Wii U games never had such low poly models.

duckroll

Problem with GTA was the mini-dvd format, IIRC.

GTA3 could fit on a 80min CD iirc.

Edit: Yeah I just checked. Both GTA3 and GTA VC should have no problems at all fitting on a 1.5gig GC disc. They were tiny ass games. SA might need some trimming, but obvious Rockstar didn't even consider the series for the GC. :p

ty_hot

We don't have any firm details on which engine it'll use.

And your info is very outdated. The PC version is the same as the console versions.

Ops, I thought about PES and wrote about FIFA for a moment.

anyway, if it would use the same engine it would be called Fifa 18, not Fifa (temporary name, I know). I hope I am wrong, but that's what it seems.

DJwest

lol, Nintendo gonna Nintendo. 3 straight console generations with the worse hardware on the market. Wii was a success, Wii U was a disaster and I'm not expecting the Switch to set the world on fire.
Nobody should be expecting cutting edge AAA games on the Switch in the first place, especially from western 3rd parties. Nintendo hasn't made hardware to facilitate those games in more than a decade.
Still amazes me how people have still not accepted that simple fact. You want to play major AAA multiplats? It's not happening on the Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lol, Nintendo gonna Nintendo. 3 straight console generations with the worse hardware on the market. Wii was a success, Wii U was a disaster and I'm not expecting the Switch to set the world on fire.

KOEI Tecmo launch ports are now the standard for showing off what a system is capable off ?

If Fire Emblem Warrios looks and performs bad, that would be an issue though.

Oregano

KOEI Tecmo launch ports are now the standard for showing off what a system is capable off ?

If Fire Emblem Warrios looks and performs bad, that would be an issue though.

Nevermind the fact that if you watch the trailer the port of DQH I looks better than II.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Summary of the thread is that Switch hw is worst than PS2 one, right?
And that UE4 games aren't a prominent reality for Japanese developers too.
And that MK8Deluxe runs on PS4.

Am I forgetting something?

Top Bottom