• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

Oregano

Like I said it's possible for Nintendo to merge the two console lines, but for now nothing points towards it. There are literally zero games that indicated 3DS developers transferring to Switch development so far.

I'd definitely agree that Nintendo has not tipped their first party hand but when you consider that Square Enix's Asano team, who have only ever made handheld games and have worked directly with Nintendo are making a Switch game.

I think Nintendo will reposition as a handheld when they can cost reduce to get it to a competitive price.

cripterion

I wonder why sony hasn't made a PS4 Pro portable with 6-10 hours battery and a slim and light profile for 299.99.

Can play this while in the toilet on the Vita remote streaming from the Pro while retaining all that graphical fidelity. Good enough no?

sn00zer

Will buy games for Switch same way I did for Vita. Exclusives, indies, old games and nothing else.

Cannot think of a single reason I would choose a switch version over the ps4 version except for something like a 2D JRPG.

Like I said it's possible for Nintendo to merge the two console lines, but for now nothing points towards it. There are literally zero games that indicated 3DS developers transferring to Switch development so far.
What about Atlus developing a Shin Megami Tensei game for it?

Or Bravely Default devs working on a game for it?

Or the - admittedly - rumoured third version to Pokémon Sun/Moon being exclusively made for it?

Even if you don't want to accept the Switch as a handheld, What's so hard about recognising it as the merging of Nintendo's two hardware lines and the successor to both systems?

Because PR and marketing says it's a "home console you can take on the go"? What does that change?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member

Except they have almost nothing in development for the 3DS.

the more I looked at the image in the OP:

so

• Half the framerate
  • polycount reduction
  • Particle reduction
  • lower resolution(?)

Curious to see the digital foundry analysis on these.

So you are telling me that the company that launched its previous handheld at $250 and was discounted so fast now comes again with a $300 handheld.

Makes sense.

You can bet things like next main Pokemon will be launched on 3DS as well.

I don't think you can bet that at all.

Did you see how hard OG 3DS hardware was strained by Sun/Moon?

They've even cut 3D, across all models - which could also be a sign of a future Switch port. They cannot get the performance they need from 3DS anymore.

jblank83

A better indication is that there are fewer and fewer games coming out for 3DS. I can't recall the last really major announcement.

Whether games are announced for Switch or not, it's safe to assume internal production is ramping up for the system. Given Nintendo's explicitly stated goal of unifying production, it's also a safe guess that just about every team is working on Switch software with just a project or two for 3DS.

I mean, what are the alternatives? A ton of unannounced 3DS games? A new handheld in the works? I can't think of a scenario that makes more sense than just "the games aren't announced yet."

duckroll

Bravely Default -> Octopath Traveler?

That's at least 1!

Guymelef

People can't really believe Nintendo is putting all its console future in a $300 machine.

Or 3DS is here to stay or it will have a successor.

People can't really believe Nintendo is putting all its console future in a $300 machine.

Or 3DS is here to stay or it will have a successor.
Why is it unrealistic?

So much of their recent 3DS output has been Wii U -> 3DS ports or versions. They themselves acknowledged that they were spread very thin between developing for Wii U AND 3DS. And anyone who's played a lot of their recent 3DS stuff can see how much of a strain it puts on that system.

It won't be $300 forever, just as the 3DS wasn't $250 forever.

Guymelef

Why is it unrealistic?

So much of their recent 3DS output has been Wii U -> 3DS ports or versions. They themselves acknowledged that they were spread very thin between developing for Wii U AND 3DS. And anyone who's played a lot of their recent 3DS stuff can see how much of a strain it puts on that system.

It won't be $300 forever, just as the 3DS wasn't $250 forever.

I don't know about your country but here the 3DS hardware success for this holidays was thanks to 99€ 2DS consoles, not thanks to the expensive hardware.

Looks like these few 3rd parties are just going to dump their undocked shit on the tv. At least nintendo seems to put some effort in delivering a better experience.

Guymelef

Looks like these few 3rd parties are just going to dump their undocked shit on the tv. At least nintendo seems to put some effort in delivering a better experience.

Well Splatoon 2 and Mario are 720p docked for now (who knows at launch) you can't blame 3rd parties only...

NotLiquid

So basically not so much a "downgrade" so much as it's just the Vita version upscaled?

Seems like a quick and dirty port job. Not sure why the Switch shouldn't be able to handle the PS4 version which doesn't even look that demanding.

duckroll

I don't know about your country but here the 3DS hardware success for this holidays was thanks to 99€ 2DS consoles, not thanks to the expensive hardware.

Nintendo management only really cares about two countries though - Japan and the United States. Everything else is ~whatever~ judging from their attitude towards marketing, licensing, and the running of the eShop.

We should be seeing what a musou game built ground up for the system looks like in a matter of hours (assuming it didn't start development on Wii U, and isn't also in its very early stages... Remember how rough Hyrule Warriors looked at first? Ew..)

Bulbasaur

Banned

Monster Hunter Stories will have a Switch port, I'm certain of it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo management only really cares about two countries though - Japan and the United States. Everything else is ~whatever~ judging from their attitude towards marketing, licensing, and the running of the eShop.

NoE is run just fine for the most part. Based Shibata.

Charamiwa

Banned

That's simply not true. A new SMT game + the Bravely Default devs is not "literally zero games"

opricnik

Banned
I liked the results, expected a bigger difference in image quality.

by multiplat you mean the half assed FIFA running on the PS3 engine (just like the PC lol) while PS4 and XOne have their own real current gen engine?
Stop spreading bs. FIFA runs same engine on all next gen platforms

opricnik

Banned
Are you implying that the Vita is as powerful as a PS3?

That is huge speculation. If you recall correctly the Wii U did not perform as well as the older gen in face-off's for many multiplatform titles, it doesn't seem as binary as you would make it seem. Out of many variables that may produce a more desirable output on the switch, the PS3 really did have a powerful processer and had very high bandwidth. It would be very impressive if the Switch could compete on those fronts.

So you saying Switch may not be powerful as PS3 even?

Yeah, I'd disagree with Duckroll's claim. NoE is much more similar to NCL in how they follow policy, I think they have less autonomy than NoA in that regard. The NoE eShop is very similar to the NCL's approach (in other words, doesn't have an appalling front page on 3DS), as is their approach to hardware like N3DS SKUs, and even 3DS limited editions.

NoE definitely stumbles with marketing, though. NCL makes a proactive effort to highlight third party content, whereas NoE, well, don't.

Steep may well be an interesting port to Switch, similar to Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Vita.

Most Wanted on Vita saw its resolution cut to 1/4 (640 x 360 from 1280 x 720), the deferred rendering replaced by a simpler forward renderer, the polycount of objects reduced, the poly-count of rival racers/traffic/parked cars severely reduced, and effects like lighting and reflections removed. Framerate also took a hit. It was still a good looking game on the 5" screen, but it was definitely a huge reduction in visual quality.

So you saying Switch may not be powerful as PS3 even?

I think he's hinting that there might be some bottlenecks in terms of memory bandwidth. I don't think this quick and dirty port is a good example to use of that though, given Zelda runs better in handheld mode @720p than it does on Wii U, and gets a resolution bump to 900p in docked mode. Likewise, Mario Kart 8 gets a bump to 1080p while running as well as it did in handheld mode as on Wii U. Mario Kart 8 uses deferred rendering.

Branduil

The entire reason Nintendo is repeatedly calling the Switch a home console is because the Wii U is dead while the 3DS isn't. If the situation was reversed, you can bet they'd be advertising it as a portable.

As long as 3DS keeps selling, Nintendo will keep marketing the Switch as home console. When the 3DS finally dies in a couple years, they'll probably release a portable-only, smaller version of the Switch to take its place.

duckroll

NoE is run fine for what they are, but can you really say that their hands are not tied when it comes to a lot of things? Especially in terms of pricing, I really feel that all Nintendo is really concerned about is US and Japan, and getting the price there just right. For everyone else it's ~too bad so sad~ depending on currency strengths and rates.

I guess it's true that NoE does pull their weight when it comes to localization when NoA drops the ball, they earn respect for that.

What? People seriously believe Nintendo's gonna come forward with ANOTHER platform? The whole point of the Switch is that Nintendo absolutely cannot sustain 2 platforms themselves anymore. Making something else would be utterly stupid, they'll be spread way too thin and collapse even further as just Wii U *AND* 3DS did. A 4DS would only be Nintendo creating competition for Nintendo while devaluing both.

*a portable-only version of the Switch is possible absolutely, but if that case arises the Switch would be able to play all of its games.

duckroll

SMTIV > SMTV too

That's not really a good example when we don't know what the Switch game is, and who is making it. Especially when right now they are teasing another 3DS SMT game which will likely be released long before the Switch game is unveiled properly. So far now, it's more like 3DS -> 3DS.

I picked BD -> OT because it is specifically stated that it is the same team, and this is their next project after BS, and there is no other game announced by the team on the 3DS coming in the future.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, I'd disagree with Duckroll's claim. NoE is much more similar to NCL in how they follow policy, I think they have less autonomy than NoA in that regard. The NoE eShop is very similar to the NCL's approach (in other words, doesn't have an appalling front page on 3DS), as is their approach to hardware like N3DS SKUs, and even 3DS limited editions.

NoE definitely stumbles with marketing, though. NCL makes a proactive effort to highlight third party content, whereas NoE, well, don't.

Well games for the most part sell better in Japan - especially if pushed by Nintendo. Dont know how much market ressources NoE has for those 3rdParty titles either...pretty much every somehow relevant japanese 3rdParty title is published by NoE these days. Between those games and their own first party games marketing can be difficult. They try their best with Nintendo Directs and demos...but its difficult to reach people outside of the hardcore bubble that way.
NoE is run fine for what they are, but can you really say that their hands are not tied when it comes to a lot of things? Especially in terms of pricing, I really feel that all Nintendo is really concerned about is US and Japan, and getting the price there just right. For everyone else it's ~too bad so sad~ depending on currency strengths and rates.

I guess it's true that NoE does pull their weight when it comes to localization when NoA drops the ball, they earn respect for that.

Pricing of the hardware ? Nintendo hardware actually sells pretty well in europe (except the UK and some other smaller countries). Pricing wise most newer first party WiiU games were sold for around 40€ soon after its launch, while US member on GAF always kept complaining that almost every game ist 60$ - so it seems like NoE is much more price competitive when it comes to software. We also had a bunch of Club Nintendo related retail promotions that provided new digital first party download for people who purchased WiiU or 3DS this generation.

Same for Limited Editions, Amiibo, NES Classic and co. were preorders and demand were managed way better than in the US with NoA. Being able to demand NNiD transfer to a new system after a repurchase or lost of the old system was also something that started first w. NoE - took NoA a while longer to offer that service without a Police Report. So yeah NoE is managed quite fine, even if they follow the Japanese Blueprint on a lot of stuff.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Depends on what you call an enhanced port. Content? There are several examples of this happening or happen in the past. Like Monster Hunter (PS2) > Monster Hunter Portable (PSP)
Graphics? Yeah, this hasn't happened on the handheld space yet. But the Wii U was so weak, mobile caught up.

You know what I meant, but are trying to avoid the truth. Mobile hasn't caught up either. Unless your phone can run Mariokart 8, Splatoon, and Zelda BotW.

Charamiwa

Banned
But the new SMT isn't thanks to 3DS-Switch transition, in fact there is an unanounced SMT for 3DS

Still, the Wii and Wii U didn't get any SMT games as far as I know. And Octopath Traveler is the prime example of 3ds devs going to the Switch, so I don't even know if we're still arguing the same point anymore.

bomblord1

Banned

I have a very strong feeling you will see your first today.

Papacheeks

Banned
You'd need a bigger case for a bigger battery, it'd get thicker and wider. The larger chip would also require larger cooling so the system just grows rather obscenely with these demands. For its form factor, the Switch has the biggest battery that can fit, along with probably the highest clocked chip that won't cause the system to catch fire and/or have <30m of battery.

SE had kits, lol. This is just a quick and dirty port.

Could they have included somehow a extra type of tegra processor in the dock to help facilitate better rendering and off load other task's?

elrohir

Neo Member
I don't know if anyone already thought about the possibility that the Switch version looks this way to make the PS4 version look better to justify the hardware difference? Maybe I'm totally wrong.

Top Bottom