• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

Lux R7

I don't know if anyone already thought about the possibility that the Switch version looks this way to make the PS4 version look better to justify the hardware difference? Maybe I'm totally wrong.

giphy.gif

Duxxy3

Of course it's downgraded. It's a much weaker system.

On the other hand, Switch owners can take them game with them whenever they want.

JB2448

I've skimmed through the thread, but couldn't find it. How do the games on the Switch compare to their PS3 equivalents, specifically citing both TV and and handheld mode?

When we get direct feed screenshots of like-for-like scenes I will be interested in seeing what all the differences are.

Chances are KT didn't bother creating a bespoke version of the game for Switch that might sit in between PS3 and PS4, or be better than PS3 in some areas but worse in others, but they really did instead just take the Vita versions - whose file sizes are already adequate for a game card and models already scaled down - and did a quick and dirty port on it.

But it'll be hard to know for sure before we know about things like image quality, poly-count on characters and shadow map resolution as well as draw distance, LOD pop-in and so on. With heroes 1 at least we know that it looks like-for-like for PS3, but it's missing self-shadowing. Were the compromises on the Vita version that low?

The whole situation seems strange for sure.

Spy

Between things like this and a lack of an achievement system, I see no reason to get non-exclusives on the Switch.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Like I said it's possible for Nintendo to merge the two console lines, but for now nothing points towards it. There are literally zero games that indicated 3DS developers transferring to Switch development so far.

Everything points towards it, they unified their R&D departments and created a tablet-based console specifically to merge their software library into one. The only reason we aren't getting portable-style game announcements at this stage is because they still want to sell through as many 3DSes as possible. Pokemon only just came out. For as long as possible they will pretend that the 3DS has a future same way they did when the GBA was being phased out.

Like I said it's possible for Nintendo to merge the two console lines, but for now nothing points towards it. There are literally zero games that indicated 3DS developers transferring to Switch development so far.

Are we completely ignoring the new game from Bravely Default devs (project octopath) and the new SMT from Altus then? Ok.

Between things like this and a lack of an achievement system, I see no reason to get non-exclusives on the Switch.
Are you Reggie? We don't know that there's no Achievement system. In fact, given My Nintendo missions, I'd argue it's likely there is.

Are we completely ignoring the new game from Bravely Default devs (project octopath) and the new SMT from Altus then? Ok.

I believe the post you replied to is referring to Nintendo's internal teams, which I'm inclined to agree with at this point. I'll give it until E3, but right now Switch's game lineup does feel mostly made by teams who finished work on Wii U software, with the exception of Arms, which is by the Mario Kart team. But I'm surprised at the lack of handheld-style games, and I'm surprised that Nintendo isn't even considering cross-gen for the late ones on 3DS like BoxBoy 3.

muteki

Has 2 for the west on PS4 been announced? I don't think I've heard so, but would be a shame to make it Switch exclusive here.

Spy

Are you Reggie? We don't know that there's no Achievement system. In fact, given My Nintendo missions, I'd argue it's likely there is.
I mean something built into the OS and being able to compare with friends via the system, not having to browse a website or an app to see accomplishments. I'm still buying a Switch but 3rd party is staying on my PS4 Pro.

The only exception is Puyo Puyo Tetris since the PS4 version is physical only.

flohen95

Has 2 for the west on PS4 been announced? I don't think I've heard so, but would be a shame to make it Switch exclusive here.

It has, and it's slated for release in April. Which is why this compilation will either be split for a western release, release a lot later than the Japanese version despite there being little work to do, or not release at all. Everything else would surprise me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Man doing that on a big scale is probably very time consuming and difficult for devs.

This is like a demaster.

Devs nowadays are required to make games ranging from Switch all the way to Scorpio,Pro and PC.

What a nightmare.

I imagine at some point they will just stop supporting it. If the install base is not there and the first few games out ot the gate don't sell, not worth spending time and resources on it.

Well, good for people who buys it for PS4. For others like me who wants to play all types of games on a handheld this kind of graphical quality sacrifice won't mean a thing as long as game has the same fun

Fair enough.
As someone who will buy the switch mainly for playing on the tv, the gulf in power between it and ps4 will mean I will always buy multis on ps4 unless it's a undemanding (graphically) jrpg.

I mean something built into the OS and being able to compare with friends via the system, not having to browse a website or an app to see accomplishments. I'm still buying a Switch but 3rd party is staying on my PS4 Pro.

The only exception is Puyo Puyo Tetris since the PS4 version is physical only.
I understand, but all I'm saying is, we really don't know yet.

Duxxy3

This is not the game we can use as an example of what the Switch can run and support verses the PS4.

How many examples will people need? Games released on the Switch and PS4 are always going to look and run better on the PS4. Across the board. No exceptions.

Seik

Banned
How many examples will people need? Games released on the Switch and PS4 are always going to look and run better on the PS4. Across the board. No exceptions.

I think he says this because the port isn't from a PS4 version but more PS3/PSV and is looking more for a game that is only on PS4/X1/NS.

Gestault

This is not the game we can use as an example of what the Switch can run and support verses the PS4.

I think people tend to get hung up on individual examples early in a platform's life to solidify their opinions. Similar to how people assumed all PS2 games would be jaggy forever when they saw the heavy aliasing in launch titles. I think Switch ports from 360/PS3/Vita versions (2 gens ago now?) won't be showcase software, even if it's the support it's getting for whatever reason.

That being said, I'm not aware of an area the Switch has a technical advantage over its previous-gen counterparts. Meaning it will always be at a disadvantage. But that means harping on it will get tiresome quickly unless it's an egregious case. It's using mobile hardware, which isn't as capable as set-top hardware. Full stop.

flohen95

Switch less powerful than PS4?

Yes. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there has been anyone in any way credible ever suggesting otherwise. The real question is how much less powerful. And as some other people have pointed out, I don't think a quick launch day port by Square-Enix is a good indication of that.

Astral Dog

Yes. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there has been anyone in any way credible ever suggesting otherwise. The real question is how much less powerful. And as some other people have pointed out, I don't think a quick launch day port by Square-Enix is a good indication of that.
Whó knows though,seems like the difference is much bigger than expected despite the newest saying Nintendo used the (reasonable) best tech available

zoukka

Everything points towards it, they unified their R&D departments and created a tablet-based console specifically to merge their software library into one. The only reason we aren't getting portable-style game announcements at this stage is because they still want to sell through as many 3DSes as possible. Pokemon only just came out. For as long as possible they will pretend that the 3DS has a future same way they did when the GBA was being phased out.

And as a consumer I would love if this happened. That would up the value proposition of Switch through the roof.

Vena

Whó knows though,seems like the difference is much bigger than expected despite the newest saying Nintendo used the (reasonable) best tech available

They are using the best tech available.

I don't understand why its hard to conceptually grasp the difference between an up-port and a bespoke new version for a specific hardware.

dan2026

I don't see anyone buying this mess unless you really didn't have access to any other platform.

And even then I dunno.

zoukka

I don't see anyone buying this mess unless you really didn't have access to any other platform.

And even then I dunno.

And this is why Switch will fail just like the Wii U did. Nobody wants multiplatform games on it when they see how they look.

Sendou

And this is why Switch will fail just like the Wii U did. Nobody wants multiplatform games on it when they see how they look.

High-end PC's play multiplats with bigger difference in terms of look to consoles than Switch-PS4. Yet consoles sell well. Why? Different devices for different uses.

I wouldn't underestimate the appeal of portability.

Top Bottom