• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Picked it up on amazon when it was $20 digitally, enjoying it a bit so far but holy shit accepting/reporting quests is the most tedious shit ever.

Picked it up on amazon when it was $20 digitally, enjoying it a bit so far but holy shit accepting/reporting quests is the most tedious shit ever.

I know! They just couldn't make a way to report multiple or accept multiple quests at once. Every time you have to wait and hear the music. Although the King Slimey stamp is cool. ;p

Wait until you get into using medals to buy ingredients. I know DQ is about tradition in almost all aspects but there is nothing nostalgic about having to button through multiple conversation boxes and jingles to get anything done.

One other complaint I have is that the characters walk just a bit too slowly. Also is it just me or does this game pretty much kick the PS4 into overdrive? The fan gets way louder when I'm playing this than anything else.

ZeMMiK

One other complaint I have is that the characters walk just a bit too slowly. Also is it just me or does this game pretty much kick the PS4 into overdrive? The fan gets way louder when I'm playing this than anything else.

but it still runs smooth with a lot of enemies on screen.

There is an accessory to help with the movement speed: Meteorite Bracer.

MLH

Guess we should take the conversation of the newly released PC/Steam version into this thread.
Game is downloading now, can't wait to play!

MLH

Hope you like it. I think it's great. One of my favorite games of the year.

Yep, forgot to update, been playing too much!

Game is great fun, all the familiar Dragon Quest music and sound effects are here. Fighting the Green dragon and hearing DQ1 boss music is a nice touch, same for other enemies. The new characters are great; Luceus sounded a bit stiff at first (listening to English VAs) but I soon realised he was meant to sound like a tool, lol. Aurora is great though, sticks to the point. Hearing Alena for the first time is good, she sounds exactly as I would expect, she's also amazing to play - combo queen!
Terry is still a douchebag, his VA reminds me of a Sonic character - 2edgy4me - but he makes a good party member so I'm keeping him around.
Also Healix is adorable!

I have some minor criticisms of the game, mostly its slow character movement and small simplistic levels, Also I'm not a huge fan of the tower defence gameplay, feels more like plants vs zombies and less like a Musou, hopefully DQH2 will improve on that and offer some traditional musou level design or vary the stage structure a bit. Also PC specific complaints include lack of higher res than 1080p, higher framerate than 60fps, scaling UI (that map is pointlessly huge!) and variable FOV as well as the other recommended options (AA, toggle Vsync etc).

Overall there are a lot of nice little touches to the game that DQ fans can appreciate, things like monster summoning works sort of like the DQ monster games (monsters take up slots and vary in size, so your party has limitations). Also each monster has attacks from the mainline games such as bag o'laughs casting Dazzle or the Imp trying to cast Kaboom but failing; it's much better than them just being brain-dead physical attackers.

Mr.Fresh

Just picked this up and it's really refreshing playing this up beat game with super bright colors after playing Bloodborne, MGSV, Cod, GTA, Destiny, Witcher, And Fallout. Just beat the Green Dragon. This game makes me wanna pick up Tales of Zesteria and relive my childhood with JRPGs in the winter time.

khaaan

Most of the trophy screenshots in this game have ended up being in the middle of fade to black or all black which is a little unfortunate, sometimes things work out though.

YoIvXka.jpg

It's interesting to go back in this thread to when the game had just come out, and people were saying "I've played for 2 hours, and the game is awesome." I thought the same thing.

I finished this game last night and by the end, I could not wait for it to be over. Everything about this game is insultingly slow and repetitive. And by the end, "A new mawkeeper has appeared" (and actually, eight new mawkeepers appear) were words that made me want to cry. I just didn't want to do it anymore. Late game, when 5-6 large enemies would spawn at a time, I could barely keep going. At that point, there's no difficulty. It's just inevitable time spent continuously beating on monsters who will eventually die, but you just know you're in for very boring 5-10 minutes doing it each time.

Consolidating your time by completing more than one quest before returning to your ship? No, one mission at a time only. Then load screen. And the more quests you do, the more you level and the easier the game gets.

Slow text. Repeated text. Repetitive music. Lame, one-dimensional characters. Awful story. The "power of friendship"? I mean maybe it's for kids and maybe I'm a cynic but the power of friendship is not a good plot device unless you're four years old.

There are some positives. The game looks good and I encountered no bugs, which you don't see too often these days.

I had some fun with this game. I mean I played it for 35 hours so that must say something. But by the end I could not wait to get it out of my PS4 and back into its case, forever.

For those that got the platinum, I salute you. At one time, when I still liked the game, I had aspirations to do that too. Now when I really think about how much grinding I'd have to do...ugh. Hats off to anyone who did it.

JCG

I suppose different people will always have their own individual tolerance levels for what is or isn't acceptable in terms of ultimately formulaic mechanics. Personally, I think the core gameplay is still entertaining even when high level characters start making most fights easy to get through. Admittedly, playing too much of DQH in a row might feel overly repetitive after a while, but that's why I'm also playing other games at the same time.

Even so...I don't see myself getting forever tired of the music and presentation, because I really like the way the game looks and all the DQ tunes, though I'll probably leave the game alone for a few months or maybe even a couple of years after finishing it. That's been my attitude towards Musou games and I still enjoy picking up the newer entries (plus occasionally going back to old ones).

That said, I do think they should improve the UI in the menu screens and speed up the text for the next DQH title. I get that they're pushing some nostalgia buttons for Dragon Quest fans, but this is the one area where I believe they shouldn't be too faithful. Mind you, I feel fine with the battle controls and so forth, thus this is a lesser annoyance in my case.

As for the story, that's arguably not a big deal for me. It certainly could be better. I guess they just wanted an excuse to set up a crossover, so in a way this narrative was simply a proof of concept. Regular JRPG setups don't necessarily bother me though (which, all things considered, several Dragon Quest games don't stray too far away from). There's little in terms of character development, to be sure, although I do find the mix of personalities to be enjoyable enough. I do expect them to make improvements in this area for the next title, but even then I am certain that writing a more sophisticated plot won't be the main focus.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing this the other day and reached the part where you can travel the world map and saw that there's exclamation points in Arba and Caliburgh. I went to Arba and was fighting waves of enemies re-spawning.

Question is do these fights end on their own after a set amount of enemies killed or whatever OR is it infinite and only ends when I choose "evac"?

Also, are all the exclamation points the same or do they include side quests with other objectives besides just killing waves and waves of enemies?

Thanks.

Corpekata

Banned
Started playing this the other day and reached the part where you can travel the world map and saw that there's exclamation points in Arba and Caliburgh. I went to Arba and was fighting waves of enemies re-spawning.

Question is do these fights end on their own after a set amount of enemies killed or whatever OR is it infinite and only ends when I choose "evac"?

Also, are all the exclamation points the same or do they include side quests with other objectives besides just killing waves and waves of enemies?

Thanks.

Most of the ones in town that say like Blah blah - Recruit or Blah blah - Captain are just endless areas meant for practice or farming and you have to leave manually.

Camjo-Z

Thanks.

Those fights never end, they're just there for you to complete quests like killing X amount of monsters or collecting certain item drops.

Exclamation points can indicate sidequests or new areas you've unlocked to kill more endless waves of enemies.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the ones in town that say like Blah blah - Recruit or Blah blah - Captain are just endless areas meant for practice or farming and you have to leave manually.

No other way to know what they are without selecting them and seeing that they say what you posted? I was hoping they would end on their own. Thanks for the help.

EDIT:...went to Caliburgh and see the menu with the two different fighting areas and it having - "recruit" next to them.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Those fights never end, they're just there for you to complete quests like killing X amount of monsters or collecting certain item drops.

Exclamation points can indicate sidequests or new areas you've unlocked to kill more endless waves of enemies.

Okay. Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For those who have finished the story, how many missions are there? Thanks.

mfaex

Only thing standing between me and all achievements is Nera giving me her puff puff dammit.

Fun game other than the hellishly slow menus. My god, even with b spam it's still unforgivable.

edit: Finally. This was probably pure coincidence, but since it took literally hours, I made a party with just the one person left I needed puff puff from, went to a skirmish, killed a few things, evacuated, and got it immediately after loading back in and talking to them. Hopefully that works for anyone else with trouble.

Lanrutcon

Got around to giving this a shot on the PC.

It's pretty bad. Very much regretting my purchase. I thought this was a game about battling loads of enemies, not babysitting roots.

Camjo-Z

Got around to giving this a shot on the PC.

It's pretty bad. Very much regretting my purchase. I thought this was a game about battling loads of enemies, not babysitting roots.

Uh... you "babysit" the roots by battling the loads of enemies coming after it. It's just like defending bases/enemy officers in any other Warriors game. If you want to do nothing but kill enemies then just play a skirmish, they last forever.

Lanrutcon

Uh... you "babysit" the roots by battling the loads of enemies coming after it. It's just like defending bases/enemy officers in any other Warriors game. If you want to do nothing but kill enemies then just play a skirmish, they last forever.

No, this is really not Dynasty Warriors.

I guess I should go grind if I want to get anywhere.

Dynasty Warriors is one of my favorite series of all time and this might be my favorite Musou game so far. Hyrule Warriors really advanced the series in a great direction but this tops it. Absolutely love the game and I'm trying to platinum it despite the lack of any solid end-game walkthroughs.

I hope the sequel expands the gameplay, offers co-op, and gives us bigger battlefields instead of the current defend-the-hallway objectives. It's fun, but I still want the vast roaming levels of Dynasty Warriors. It'd be cool if they even offered Chrono Trigger DLC or costume packs, anything similar to Toriyama's gorgeous art style.

Anyone else still playing this?

Labadal

I'm still playing because I play it in short bursts and then play other games. I think it's a solid game but one might get burnt out if it is the only thing you play.

I know the sequel offers co-op but I don't know if they will even bother to localize the sequel. DQH didn't set the sales charts on fire.

My complaints has to do with my typical Dragon Quest beefs: slow menus, or slow everything that isn't actually running and killing stuff. I hope they can change this for upcoming DQ games.

I'm still playing because I play it in short bursts and then play other games. I think it's a solid game but one might get burnt out if it is the only thing you play.

I know the sequel offers co-op but I don't know if they will even bother to localize the sequel. DQH didn't set the sales charts on fire.

My complaints has to do with my typical Dragon Quest beefs: slow menus, or slow everything that isn't actually running and killing stuff. I hope they can change this for upcoming DQ games.

I'm like you I've been playing it on and off since launch and it gets a bit repetitive. It's a great game but the slow pacing with it from menus etc holds its back and the dull story. Also the item creation is it just me or is it pretty useless? You can't make any good items and I'm near the end of the game I think. I mean you can make items that shorten debuffs like freeze, silence etc but in reality these are pretty useless.

Not a bad game though has lots of charm and a fair bit of depth. I wish the music was better sounding and they didn't cheapen out with midi like implementation.

Vex_

Banned

I feel like even the combat feels slow because there are no movement modifiers like most modern action games. No run, dash, sprint, vehicles (horses/mounts).

No real air combos or any vertical combat either means you feel like you are going nowhere... Slowly.

But yes, I also try not to burn myself out which is new for me in a warriors game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Terry is mad OP

Nerf this man

Does the game ever get any harder? I got to the Dwarven city, Garnett I think it's called. I haven't died once, and I can get through levels only using the basic square combo. I mix it up with combos and spells, but it feels like I'm just forcing myself to use spells to mix it up, not cause there is any need for them.

Does the game ever get any harder? I got to the Dwarven city, Garnett I think it's called. I haven't died once, and I can get through levels only using the basic square combo. I mix it up with combos and spells, but it feels like I'm just forcing myself to use spells to mix it up, not cause there is any need for them.
Yea there's a difficulty spike later on

Evantist

I bought this game on its PS4 launch day but only started playing it more than a week ago and since then I've put ~30 hours into it. I should be at the last chapters of the story campaign ( if I were to trust the story log), but have decided to take a break from this game for a few days or maybe weeks. Perhaps I got burnt out but it's come to the point where I just sigh at every notification message of new mawkeeper or large monster on the battlefield. I will complete the game though! Looking forward to using
Psaro
against the final boss when I'm ready to play again.

It's a charming game, and I had tons of fun for the first 20 hours, which for me is a first among the musou-styled games. The TD/monster minions, environmental assist, large monsters, status effects/weakness system and the different control style of characters did enough to give Dragon Quest Heroes its unique identity. Facing a Hell Gladiator for the first time was a thrilling moment, and the entire fight against
Psaro
got my heart racing. The story is... well I hope nobody plays it for its storyline but I felt that the leads are likable enough.

The stuff I didn't like are pretty the same as everyone else's, namely the flow of the menu UI. I didn't like the camera too initially, but adapted to it as time goes on. I also wished that there are more alternative costumes. Another wish is that the MC could be swapped out too (I like the MCs but there are better characters for combat).

Overall, I had fun and felt that it's a game worth buying and supporting. Currently, I'm wondering what short game/s to play before resume Dragon Quest Heroes later on. Perhaps Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China or inFAMOUS: First Light?

Zee-Row

Banned
Is there a way to make the AI party members more aggressive? Sometimes when I'm fighting things they just run around doing nothing.

Is there any way to switch the voice acting to Japanese after you started a file? Can't seem to find the option.

Love the English VA but I wanna hear the JPN voices just out of curiosity.

Edit: Oops nvm, found the option tucked in the settings. My mistake.

Tizoc

Is there a way to make the AI party members more aggressive? Sometimes when I'm fighting things they just run around doing nothing.

Yeah there should be, just fiddle around with the pre-battle menu when not in a stage and you should alter how they perform.

Evantist

Got this today for Christmas! Anything I should know before starting?

Active/Passive skills are more important than stats for character progression in the story campaign. I also found out the hard way that I should not spend mini medals recklessly.

Nothing we can do about it I believe. Sometimes they are aggressive, other times they aren't.

Was gonna wait to get a copy without that horrid Day One banner but here it is two months later at bomba prices.

RIP chances at Heroes 2 getting localised.

Active/Passive skills are more important than stats for character progression in the story campaign. I also found out the hard way that I should not spend mini medals recklessly.

Nothing we can do about it I believe. Sometimes they are aggressive, other times they aren't.

Which is why the game is so frustrating. I'm sitting back charging my special attack and have a bunch of enemies right beside my cpu teammates and they aren't even attacking.

Then you get the same when you throw a handful of minions around the thing you are meant to protect. 50 mobs can walk up and attack it while your minions just stand there scratching their balls.

Overall a fun game (I finished it and am going back to do some of the harder challenges now) but the camera and AI are really bad and would certainly be enough to turn many gamers away.

Evantist

Which is why the game is so frustrating. I'm sitting back charging my special attack and have a bunch of enemies right beside my cpu teammates and they aren't even attacking.

Then you get the same when you throw a handful of minions around the thing you are meant to protect. 50 mobs can walk up and attack it while your minions just stand there scratching their balls.

Overall a fun game (I finished it and am going back to do some of the harder challenges now) but the camera and AI are really bad and would certainly be enough to turn many gamers away.

Probably why Terry, Bianca, Alena, Yangus and that last unlockable are the more popular characters around. We could use any of these to lay waste to any battlefield without significant help from AI allies, with the exception of Jessica.

I found the large minions to be more helpful than I imagined so I will not say they are useless :D

I do agree with you that its quirks could turn players away.

After finishing what I call an easy game, I'm pretty happy to see there are much harder quests after and cool grudge matche challenges. It's like the main game on steroids, I'm really enjoying the challenge finally.

Another +1 for Terry as well, got a 611 hit combo with him, he is awesome.

Gotta hand it to the devs as well, hundreds of enemies, big, small, lots of effects and not even a hint of slowdown.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I got this for Christmas. Pretty decent so far, I just got to the Dwarfs' place, but not nearly as good as Hyrule Warriors, I think (the singleplayer + lack of varied objectives make this less interesting so far).

I have a weird question; what is with the voice volume when using headphones? When I started playing it, I had the sound on the TV normally, and heard the voices in my controller, which was weird but I didn't mind it. But after my boyfriend went to bed, I needed to put on the headphones (I use the Sony headset) and holy shit.... the voice volume nearly destroyed my eardrums. WTF??

I went in the game's settings and had to completely mute the characters; even at 1 volume it was still way, way too loud. Music and sound effects were at normal volume so it wasn't my headphones that were the problem.

Any better way to fix this? I don't want to mute all voices (I honestly don't miss them when talking to NPCs or in battle, but it mutes them in cut scenes too) if I can help it.

KtSlime

Been playing for a few hours on my pc. Runs pretty well and I'm enjoying it, it still very much feels like every other musou game. Can't say I really like that the hero talks, nor do I like the airship. It would have been nice to just go with giant fields.

Camjo-Z

I finally beat this a few days ago and I gotta say, even though I felt like it started to drag a bit in the middle, it's definitely the best Musou I've played. My favorite character is Terry, I haven't played DQVI yet but his stupid Shadow the Hedgehog-esque schtick is hilarious and Falcon Slash utterly decimates anything that stands in his way.

Haven't done all the post-game quests yet but they are certainly a step above anything seen in the main game, not sure how I'm going to beat that Veteran Marquis De Leon + Hydra fight. I don't know yet if I'll bother with the Flying Start stuff after I've gotten the platinum but I like that they give you the option.

Top Bottom