• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

m@cross

So, psn is down for maintenance, and DQH took forever to load, and then took around 3 minutes to start a level as it kept trying to connect. The timeout need to seriously be changed on this.

So, psn is down for maintenance, and DQH took forever to load, and then took around 3 minutes to start a level as it kept trying to connect. The timeout need to seriously be changed on this.

Is DQH one of those mandatory online games? I never noticed. I always say NO to that option at the beginning that asks if you want news and shit. It was downright obnoxious in Dragonball Xenoverse.

m@cross

Is DQH one of those mandatory online games? I never noticed. I always say NO to that option at the beginning that asks if you want news and shit. It was downright obnoxious in Dragonball Xenoverse.

No, it eventually loads, just takes several minutes. They do things like bonus xp, better loot drops etc. This past weekend had some of those.

Problem is them programming the game to have an absurdly long time out when it fails to reach the server.

Chuy

Finally found the OT for this. Answered some questions I had for this game. Got this during the amazon price glitch and been playing this steadily off and on since then. Got to say greatly enjoying this game and glad to hear about the post game being good as well.
No one has a solution for the headphones thing? :(
Hold the Playstation button then hit adjust sound and devices when it pops up

Footos22

Got this through the post today and not really a massive dragon quest fan apart from 8 but for 18 quid couldn't pass it up.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hold the Playstation button then hit adjust sound and devices when it pops up
That doesn't help at all. Please re-read my post, I think you misunderstood the issue.

I should point out that lowering the volume on the controller also has zero impact; when I switch to headphones, the voice volume is still too loud (music and sound effects are fine) even when set to 1 in-game.

Cassovia

Received the Platinum trophy (PS4), what a beautiful game with charming graphics.
..and I'm recommending this game to any JRPG and Musou fan.

Looking forward to DQH 2 :)

m@cross

So I got this for Christmas. Pretty decent so far, I just got to the Dwarfs' place, but not nearly as good as Hyrule Warriors, I think (the singleplayer + lack of varied objectives make this less interesting so far).

I have a weird question; what is with the voice volume when using headphones? When I started playing it, I had the sound on the TV normally, and heard the voices in my controller, which was weird but I didn't mind it. But after my boyfriend went to bed, I needed to put on the headphones (I use the Sony headset) and holy shit.... the voice volume nearly destroyed my eardrums. WTF??

I went in the game's settings and had to completely mute the characters; even at 1 volume it was still way, way too loud. Music and sound effects were at normal volume so it wasn't my headphones that were the problem.

Any better way to fix this? I don't want to mute all voices (I honestly don't miss them when talking to NPCs or in battle, but it mutes them in cut scenes too) if I can help it.

Hasn't tried it with headphones myself, but...

I assume you are running your headphones with all audio being sent to them (best imo). What if you change that so the voices continue to come out of the controller, and then turn the controller volume to 0 in the system settings. This has no effect with all audio going to the headset, but maybe helps when it isn't?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hasn't tried it with headphones myself, but...

I assume you are running your headphones with all audio being sent to them (best imo). What if you change that so the voices continue to come out of the controller, and then turn the controller volume to 0 in the system settings. This has no effect with all audio going to the headset, but maybe helps when it isn't?
Two posts above you, I said I tried that and it didn't work.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What is the point of no return in this game?

I'm pretty far and they are talking about a "final battle" (
I'm at the Fault, just cleared the mission with the platforms and it seems I'm about to face whatshisname Spaniard and his dragon? The Challenge name on the map is "Velasco's Last Stand"
), but I have some side-quests I wanna do before, so I'd like to be sure. Googling hasn't been helpful lol.

That one side-quest with the swordsman totally wrecks me, holy shit.

Labadal

The fault is not the last area. And even if you beat the game, you can just go on and do side quests as it lets you play on your file after you beat the final boss.

Labadal

Anyone have tips on
The Serpent of the Scales?
I had the shield that regenerates health every now and then equipped. Other than that? Dodge, dodge, dodge. I had also invested points in skills that regenerated Mp, ie: regenerate mp on critical hits. Extend dodge distance and the amount of time you are invincible after a dodge. Make sure to maximize the amount of time you can be in high tension mode. This is when you go all out attack.

Footos22

Started playing a couple days ago. Sunk about 7 hours In so far. Easy as hell for the moment and really simple mechanics but I'm enjoying it loads.

Is my first musou type game as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Started playing a couple days ago. Sunk about 7 hours In so far. Easy as hell for the moment and really simple mechanics but I'm enjoying it loads.
Yeah it starts out easy for a while, but some of the later missions are quite tough. Rarely because you'll die and more because the objective you need to protect will die because you'll get overwhelmed. Gotta balance taking out the Mawkeepers ASAP and collecting enough medals to not leave the objective too vulnerable and all.

Yeah it starts out easy for a while, but some of the later missions are quite tough. Rarely because you'll die and more because the objective you need to protect will die because you'll get overwhelmed. Gotta balance taking out the Mawkeepers ASAP and collecting enough medals to not leave the objective too vulnerable and all.

Yep quite true.

The difficulty gets much, much tougher after you actually finish the game and head to the new challenges and showdowns. Really tough!

I'm trying to finish off the last few things and have 60 hours clocked, really addictive (if flawed) game. Great value for money from the $20 Amazon deal/glitch.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any way to train a character without making my other characters (particularly Aurora) overlevelled? I just want
Psaro
to catch up to my main party 'cause I'd like to use him, he seems cool, but he's level 36, and Aurora (my main) is 46 and my other main party members are around 42 or so. I just want
Psaro
to catch up to like level 40-42 or so but not if Aurora becomes level 50 in the meantime... Hell, she turned from 45 to 46 before
Psaro
turned from 35 to 36, WTF? Shouldn't he gain levels quicker, being so much lower?

I saw a recipe for an accessory that boosts XP gain, but it's only 5%, and it costs 15 mini medals. -_-

Also XP gains and levelling up seems really unbalanced in this game. I used Terry a lot, but for some reason he seems to never really level up that fast and lags behind several other characters that were out of rotation more often. I just don't get it...

Labadal

Terry lags behind in levels, yes. I used him, Jessica and Yangus for most of the game. The thing is that he still is strong enough to hold his own. His moveset is crazy good.

I don't really know how the exp earned per character is calculated, but it made zero sense to me.

I finally got around playing this. Surprisingly less Musou-ish than I thought. The controls and types of characters still are, but the whole thing feels a lot closer to a Tower Defence game than a Musou. Maps are relatively small, but they do the job for the type of game they set out to do. The medals are a cute idea, and work reasonable well.

I have a few questions though. Is there a way for me and my party to split up? Unless there is a large monster in my way, my party seems to be lagging behind me in a rather pointless fashion. Considering the game is pretty much about defending different corridors from waves, I would have hoped they would do their own thing like in Musou games, holding the fort until I can deal with it.

I'm having a decent time with it so far, but Dragon Quest's interface sensibilities are already slowly driving me insane here. After a weekend of playing, I had a bunch of achievements already, which I could convert into mini-medals. The process of collecting these medals is so painstakingly slow with the fanfare however, that I don't even bother collecting them any more. This is normally fine in DQ games because the fanfares are used sparingly, but here it lost its charm quite fast. Unless there's a "collect all rewards button" the interface didn't tell me about, I don't want to bother. Saving and shop management is a pain in the butt, but that was expected. Dragon Quest has a long history of slow, tedious saving with cursors defaulting to 'no' and tricksy shenanigans to try and boot you to the title screen. I don't even know why save screens even want to bring you to the title screen, when the menu screen has the same option?

Ultimately I think I preferred Hyrule Warriors, but I guess it's not fair of me to judge it against something it isn't trying to be. I just probably need more time to let go of my expectations.

Most of the ones in town that say like Blah blah - Recruit or Blah blah - Captain are just endless areas meant for practice or farming and you have to leave manually.
They probably should have used a different word than "recruit". When I saw that word, I thought they meant I could recruit a party member if I endured enough waves. After an hour I Evac'd out of it, and learned that it was just a simple grinding mission.

Pilgrimzero

This has been a fairly average game so far for me. I was thinking more Hyryke Warriors but it's like an easy version of that.

I dont think I'm getting the craft stuff though. I rarely can make anything. I suppose I'm supposed to spend time harvesting for rare drops? But I'm not going to do that. This isn't an mmo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah the slow interface with the unskippable fanfares/chimes/etc. when you do anything (accept a quest, turn in a quest, refill a Healstone, etc.) is insufferable. What were they thinking??

Any way to train a character without making my other characters (particularly Aurora) overlevelled? I just want
Psaro
to catch up to my main party 'cause I'd like to use him, he seems cool, but he's level 36, and Aurora (my main) is 46 and my other main party members are around 42 or so. I just want
Psaro
to catch up to like level 40-42 or so but not if Aurora becomes level 50 in the meantime... Hell, she turned from 45 to 46 before
Psaro
turned from 35 to 36, WTF? Shouldn't he gain levels quicker, being so much lower?

I saw a recipe for an accessory that boosts XP gain, but it's only 5%, and it costs 15 mini medals. -_-

Also XP gains and levelling up seems really unbalanced in this game. I used Terry a lot, but for some reason he seems to never really level up that fast and lags behind several other characters that were out of rotation more often. I just don't get it...

If you intend to do all the missions and bosses (not just the main story) don't worry about overlevelling. You'll want everyone at max anyway... the game gets real tough in a few sections. I'd go as far as saying, unless you've grinded and grinded xp during the main story quests, the real game begins after the ending.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you intend to do all the missions and bosses (not just the main story) don't worry about overlevelling. You'll want everyone at max anyway... the game gets real tough in a few sections. I'd go as far as saying, unless you've grinded and grinded xp during the main story quests, the real game begins after the ending.
Yeah so I saw... the last few missions were a bit easy so I figured I was overlevelled but then post-game started and.... huh. I could deal with the first boss grudge match, but everything else just annihilates me. Fuuuuu

Don't think I'll have the patience to grind, sadly. Lame that it's so unbalanced though.

The game was in the middle of quitting after I went to save>quit, and the Seasoned Soldier trophy (get 30 hours of playtime) trophy popped. When I load the game, the reward for this hasn't shown up to be redeemed from the woman at the accolades counter. Is there no way to get the reward now?

OmegaFax

The game was in the middle of quitting after I went to save>quit, and the Seasoned Soldier trophy (get 30 hours of playtime) trophy popped. When I load the game, the reward for this hasn't shown up to be redeemed from the woman at the accolades counter. Is there no way to get the reward now?

If you have PS+, download the backed up game save, meet the condition again, and the game might give you the reward once it's clocked over 30h again. Not sure if it'll work, just a suggestion.

Anyone got the platinum? How do I get to level 99 quickly? Gilthunder (main) is level 55 so I have 44 more levels to go. I beat the main quest last night and it was pretty underwhelming. Shadroth was supposed to be this tough adversary and I wiped the floor with him. Psaro gave me a good beating though.

FDBK

I got the plat for this game.

Great place to get your people to lvl 99 is a place which opens up later where Metal King Slimes appear. Keep spamming multi-hit attacks with Alena or Terry on them, and equip accessory that increases crit hit rate (Raging Ruby). Good luck!

Anyone got the platinum? How do I get to level 99 quickly? Gilthunder (main) is level 55 so I have 44 more levels to go. I beat the main quest last night and it was pretty underwhelming. Shadroth was supposed to be this tough adversary and I wiped the floor with him. Psaro gave me a good beating though.

I'm haven't got the plat myself, but there is a mission that spawns metal slimes like crazy and you cna easily level everyone to 99 in a couple of hours if you have good luck.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Psaro
is probably the hardest mission until post-game. Everything else is quite manageable. Some of the "defend the root/gate/etc." missions are a bit annoying but usually manageable, until you reach post-game and fuuuuuuuuuuu.

I tried the post-game one in Colissea. I handle all the mawkeepers just fine, even managed to clear each one out before the next one spawns, but when like 4 of them spawn at once at the end and they all come rushing the central area, even all the minions I deployed (some of which I even left near those gates to distract the mobs that will spawn there) and spamming all my Tension moves on everything isn't enough. With all the undead zombie gladiators, Type G0s and even a Belial, the Yggdrasil root goes from bright green to red in like a minute, it's insane. I have no idea how I'm supposed to win this.

Same thing with the root in Isla's hometown, I can't imagine even winning this one. Sigh.

Oh, unrelated, but something I noticed... is the bandit outfit in Dark Souls II inspired by Yangus (who is also a bandit)?

Yangus
j0iVyFV.png

Dark Souls II bandit outfit

Especially the particular design helmet that I haven't really seen anywhere else... that can't be a coincidence, can it?

I got the plat for this game.

Great place to get your people to lvl 99 is a place which opens up later where Metal King Slimes appear. Keep spamming multi-hit attacks with Alena or Terry on them, and equip accessory that increases crit hit rate (Raging Ruby). Good luck!

I'm haven't got the plat myself, but there is a mission that spawns metal slimes like crazy and you cna easily level everyone to 99 in a couple of hours if you have good luck.
Thanks. When should this Quest show up?
Psaro
is probably the hardest mission until post-game. Everything else is quite manageable. Some of the "defend the root/gate/etc." missions are a bit annoying but usually manageable, until you reach post-game and fuuuuuuuuuuu.

I tried the post-game one in Colissea. I handle all the mawkeepers just fine, even managed to clear each one out before the next one spawns, but when like 4 of them spawn at once at the end and they all come rushing the central area, even all the minions I deployed (some of which I even left near those gates to distract the mobs that will spawn there) and spamming all my Tension moves on everything isn't enough. With all the undead zombie gladiators, Unit-9s and even a Belial, the Yggdrasil root goes from bright green to red in like a minute, it's insane. I have no idea how I'm supposed to win this.

Same thing with the root in Isla's hometown, I can't imagine even winning this one. Sigh.
I feel like you're supposed to win through brute force, so level 99. I know what you're talking about with minions. It's like they do little damage compared to when you fought them so massive waves of enemies swarm in they're practically useless.

Hex

Banned
Just picked it up yesterday and am am allocating points for the first time.
Any real priority or pretty much go with the basics and eventually it will all even out?

Any real priority or pretty much go with the basics and eventually it will all even out?
Just go with whatever you feel is necessary for each character.

Morrigan, now I see what you meant about the tower defense post-game. The one in the coliseum is so dumb because of how many enemies you have to face and how easily the Yggdrasil foot goes down. Sigh

johnsmith

remember me

I would prioritize maxing out all your main spells/special attacks first.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Morrigan, now I see what you meant about the tower defense post-game. The one in the coliseum is so dumb because of how many enemies you have to face and how easily the Yggdrasil foot goes down. Sigh
Yeah, I can't beat that one and some others like it. Level 66 with Aurora too. Sigh.

I also tried the giant beast (
Bjorn the Behemoose I think
?) but my projectiles did 1 per hit and of course the
Stonecloud
gets destroyed. No idea how to win this either. Feel like I'm missing something.

I haven't tried Nokturnus or whatshisname (forgot, the other demon boss thing post-game) yet, the way people talk seems like it's gonna be impossible. I'll try them at least once some time, but right now I've hit a wall. I cleared all the notice board quests, and did some grudge match fights, but everything else (the remaining grudge match fights which include defending someone/something, and of course those post-game tower defense challenges) is way out of my league. Don't know if I'll have the patience to grind to 99 just for that. -_- Plus it seems the diminishing returns hit pretty hard, at least for skill points. Do stats gains from levels have diminishing returns too?

Yeah, I can't beat that one and some others like it. Level 66 with Aurora too. Sigh.

I also tried the giant beast (
Bjorn the Behemoose I think
?) but my projectiles did 1 per hit and of course the
Stonecloud
gets destroyed. No idea how to win this either. Feel like I'm missing something.

I haven't tried Nokturnus or whatshisname (forgot, the other demon boss thing post-game) yet, the way people talk seems like it's gonna be impossible. I'll try them at least once some time, but right now I've hit a wall. I cleared all the notice board quests, and did some grudge match fights, but everything else (the remaining grudge match fights which include defending someone/something, and of course those post-game tower defense challenges) is way out of my league. Don't know if I'll have the patience to grind to 99 just for that. -_- Plus it seems the diminishing returns hit pretty hard, at least for skill points. Do stats gains from levels have diminishing returns too?
I have no idea about stats. But it seems like we are meant to start new game+ considering they give 50 skill points for doing so. That would about cover everything for me.

mfaex

Leveling makes a significant difference. It's tedious but metal king slime farming is pretty fast. Just have to deal with the slow menus/loads. If you plan to farm for slime-medals you'll get good exp doing that too, so do it before metal slime kings. Make sure you have your deftness, tension extending, crit->mp restore, and dodge roll invincibility skills. If you mashed your way through the normal story (like me), using your shield will make a lot of post game stuff easier.

Y'all gonna' love
Zoma
(boss name). I know I did.

So I beat Bjorn and Nokturnus today. Nokturnus isn't tough at all if you have 2 gold rosaries equipped so that you don't get OHKO. You just have to to dodge and build up your tension to go crazy since he doesn't have as much health as other post game bosses. Bjorn is piss easy as well.

What level were you?
67 for Bjorn and 71 for Nokturnus. If you still need help with Bjorn,
what I did was I went to the left ballista with Isla( Make sure she has the ability that raises her damage with a ballista) and kept firing at his head. Ignore everything else that may happen. Once you get to the head just use Terry and Falcon slash/gust slash to build tension and release coup de Grace as soon as possible. Repeat steps and he is down.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm I figured I'd need Isla 'cause all my ballista damage did 1 dmg per hit. I never used her in my party 'cause she sucks, so she's underlevelled, but I did see she had that ability (which I of course never spent points on 'cause it was never an issue... heh).

Just finished the mission where I have to defend people around Arba while waiting for the Dragon to appear, how many more do I have left? I'm close enough to the end that I might as well beat it but I'd like it to be over as soon as possible...

Top Bottom