• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - review thread

Loved 4-6 on the DS but 7 felt sluggish in many ways. I hope 8 will run more fluid on the 3DS especially when I'm used to the PS2 version.

Owensboro

Is there any menu lag like there was in the VII remake? It ended up being a bigger deal that I thought it would be.

It's midi. I think that was confirmed months ago.

...man. I mean, we've known this for a while, but this might actually be a deal breaker for me. In all the preview videos I keep hearing the midi music and immediately having a negative reaction. Maybe I'd get used to it? (probably not).

Aeana

What about the ability to reallocate skill points down different weapon trees?
I don't remember seeing anything like that personally.

Also forgot to mention that exp/gold rate is just slightly higher, but the visible enemies make it kind of even out unless you're really aggressive.

Knurek

Such a pity they added new characters without upping the in-battle count. There's no way I'll use them over any of the old crew. :\

Also, I have to wonder whether the US version still uses uncompressed PCM files for music.

Scrawnton

I don't remember seeing anything like that personally.

Also forgot to mention that exp/gold rate is just slightly higher, but the visible enemies make it kind of even out unless you're really aggressive.

Ehh. Gold rates don't really matter much to me. It's easy as heck to make loads of money scamming vendors with alchemizing medicines and selling them.

Almost forgot this was releasing this month. I'll probably finish up DQVII this weekend (about 60hrs into it). Never played DQVIII so I'm expecting a fantastic experience.

Scrawnton

Such a pity they added new characters without upping the in-battle count. There's no way I'll use them over any of the old crew. :

Also, I have to wonder whether the US version still uses uncompressed PCM files for music.

Really? I'm kicking Angelo to the curb the moment I can...

Also, the music is midi in this version so you can't compare it to any previous versions; (maybe the mobile version, which I still hummed along to while playing).

Ridley327

1.5 years of localization, damn.

I wouldn't look at it that way. This is using the same script that they did for the PS2 version, albeit with some additions and needing to recast Jessica. This is really more on Squenix being a butt about DQ in general than any localization issues that could have possibly have arisen at any point.

SuperSah

Banned
How text heavy is this? I swear at least 5 hours of my 35 logged in VII is just reading character dialogue, story dialogue and the 'story so far' dialogue.

Aeana

7 hate doesn't surprise me, but it makes me sad. I love DQ8, but DQ7 is extremely special too. The stories in that game are among the best in the entire series.

Honestly, the series is so consistent though that any opinion that says one game is dramatically better than the others is strange to me, unless spectacle (audio/visual) quality is really the most important thing.

Scrawnton

How text heavy is this? I swear at least 5 hours of my 35 logged in VII is just reading character dialogue, story dialogue and the 'story so far' dialogue.

This game is nowhere near as chatty as DQVII and this game opens up very very quickly. This game just starts the moment you make a new game. It takes about 20 minutes until they let the leash off for you to do whatever.

Aeana

Really? I'm kicking Angelo to the curb the moment I can...

Also, the music is midi in this version so you can't compare it to any previous versions; (maybe the mobile version, which I still hummed along to while playing).
The original Japanese PS2 release used sequenced music.

Tohsaka

Best game in the series. Unfortunately, it's coming out very close to 5 other brand new games I've never played, so if I do pick it up at all it'll be months later during a gaming drought.

sensui-tomo

if people care badly enough about the music, dont forget there is soundhax/all that stuff to fix it to be the orchestral version (not sure how that exactly works on the 3ds but i've heard hacking it isnt a chore like it used to be)

Scrawnton

7 hate doesn't surprise me, but it makes me sad. I love DQ8, but DQ7 is extremely special too. The stories in that game are among the best in the entire series.

Honestly, the series is so consistent though that any opinion that says one game is dramatically better than the others is strange to me, unless spectacle (audio/visual) quality is really the most important thing.

DQVIII is by far my favorite in the series but my second is DQVI. I think I am the only person who rates VI that highly. The game was fantastic.

See this is why I'm skeptical when people say VIII is still worth picking up.

kromeo

I thought that was true up until IX, that game was really lacking something for me

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Can't wait. I actually saved my VII play for after VIII, as I knew I'd be nowhere done before VIII's release.

LordKano

The world design, story, pacing, character development, and amount of secrets and hidden adventures. DQVII is an extremely linear game compared to this.

I strongly disagree, I think DQVIII is one of the weakest game in the series, while DQVII is amongst the best. The story is way less interesting than in the other games, because there's no real novelty in the way it's told, and the characters (besides the party) aren't as well developed and unique as in others DQ games, including DQVII.

I think people like more DQVIII because it was more beginners-friendly than the others games.

Aeana

DQVIII is by far my favorite in the series but my second is DQVI. I think I am the only person who rates VI that highly. The game was fantastic.
6 is well-liked by many who played the original version. It's really the remake that gives kind of a poor impression.

It's one of my favorites.

Chesskid1

Banned
lol i had to quit 7 as well, lasted about 20 hours before i threw in the towel.

8 is way more fun and engaging, excited to play it again (and complete it!)

Maxim726X

So, what are the major changes between the PS2 version and this one?

And would I be better served running my copy on the PS2 emulator with some graphical changes?

SuperSah

Banned
Oh man, forgot this was coming out! Enjoyed VII on 3DS despite the sluggish menus.

I wonder why they were so slow. Open more than 3 and it becomes so damned janky.

One more Q for VIII- how important is C-Stick camera control? My nub kinda sucks. Can you use L/R as in VII?

Scrawnton

I strongly disagree, I think DQVIII is one of the weakest game in the series, while DQVII is amongst the best. The story is way less interesting than in the other games, because there's no real novelty in the way it's told, and the characters (besides the party) aren't as well developed and unique as in others DQ games, including DQVII.

I think people like more DQVIII because it was more beginners-friendly than the others games.

I guess Dragon Quest is just one of those series. I put 120 hours into the 3DS version and I loved the game, but I place it near the bottom half of my list.

LordKano

I guess Dragon Quest is just one of those series. I put 120 hours into the 3DS version and I loved the game, but I place it near the bottom half of my list.

Well yeah, there's not a mainline DQ that isn't at least a good game (besides DQX, even though I've heard it was quite good).

Knurek

I'm not talking about instrumentation, just wondering what kind of file format Square Enix will use in the US version.
Most 3DS games use ADPCM compression for music, where you can have a 3 minute looping song take about 3 MBs.
Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII uses 16bit PCM for some reason, where the same 3 minute looping song takes ~12 MB.
I'm not sure if the game is getting eShop release in the States, if so, people might get pissed off at having to download and secure SD space for ~500 MB of unneeded data.

Scrawnton

Well yeah, there's not a mainline DQ that isn't at least a good game (besides DQX, even though I've heard it was quite good).
I think to me VIII stands out the most because of its immersion. The world is designed so well that it really feels like you're on an adventure in this massive world. DQVII did a lot of things better but the overworld travel felt very secondary to me. World design and immersion is really important to me and I think that's why I'm excited for BotW on a level I never was for certain other games in that series.

Ridley327

I'm not talking about instrumentation, just wondering what kind of file format Square Enix will use in the US version.
Most 3DS games use ADPCM compression for music, where you can have a 3 minute looping song take about 3 MBs.
Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII uses 16bit PCM for some reason, where the same 3 minute looping song takes ~12 MB.
I'm not sure if the game is getting eShop release in the States, if so, people might get pissed off at having to download and secure SD space for ~500 MB of unneeded data.

It's available for pre-load now on the eShop.

Audioboxer

Dragon quest 8 is an amazing game. Not the kind of game I'd get through on a 3DS but I'm glad to hear the port is really well done. Please buy this 3DS owners who haven't played it before.

Top Bottom