• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - review thread

takoyaki

Comprehensive summary from RPG Site about the differences between the PS2 and 3DS version.

You can also compare the IGN 3DS review to the IGN PS2 review from 2005.

The reviewer makes it sound like the 3DS version is fundamentally still the same great experience as the PS2 version, streamlined just enough to make it a better fit for a handheld with some additional content as a cherry on top.

IGN 3DS review said:
Some re-releases feel like the return of a welcome old friend, others like an unwanted school reunion with old acquaintances who peaked long ago. Thankfully, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is a roleplaying game that remains as worthwhile and wonderful as it was in 2005. the core premise and structure still hold strong, and are further improved by some well-implemented new features.

[...]What sets this adventure apart from the majority of its peers, including those that have come since its initial PlayStation 2 debut, is the skill with which everything is produced and sewn together. Not a single element feels out of place, and not a feature is wasted in the quest to deliver a game that demonstrates just how gratifying the traditional structure of a JRPG can be.

[...]An option to play through battles at fast-forward speeds has been added, and it's a great feature that takes into consideration the portable nature of the 3DS. Those relatively brief moments on bus and train journeys can be taken up with progressing through dungeons quickly rather than waiting for animations to play out. This comes in particularly handy if you're spending time grinding to level up in anticipation of a tough boss fight.

[...]Other than that time-saving option, the biggest alteration to the way battles work is that encounters are no longer random.

[...]This has a marked change on the overall pacing in that, in effect, you're given governance over how often you draw your sword. If you come to the conclusion that you'd rather not engage in combat, perhaps because you're low on health and out of medical supplies, then you can take a route towards a town or other safe haven that avoids conflict.

[...]These new features represent a sweetener to the package, but they're not the real reason to invest your time into Dragon Quest VIII. Just as it was over a decade ago, it's a grand example of how you can add value to a genre without necessarily breaking any of its rules.

[...]If you've played the PlayStation 2 original then it's worth stepping back in not only as a remembrance of just why it was so good the first time around, but because it's still great today.. If you're new to this goofy adventure then it's an excellent example of how much traditional JRPGs still have to give. No matter your level of familiarity, the bottom line is that Dragon Quest VIII is still as entertaining today as it was in 2005.

Megatron

What makes it better?

For me:
1) the voiced dialouge is terrific. It really makes the playable characters resonate as well as the story as a whole.
2) the monster hunting/capturing aspect. Completely optional but rewarding if you pursue it.
3) since its not a series of vignettes the story flows much better. Not as stilted.
4) not nearly as much backtracking since you arent jumping through different time periods.

Dq7 is a game for hardcore dq fans and old school jrpg fans. Dq8 will appeal to those people too but also a wider range of players, imo.

kswiston

No, but I played IX, and I remember loving it.

... I also remember never finishing it :x If only RPGs would be shorter, lol.

You should try DQIV or V. Both are in the 25-35 hour range depending on how much grinding/meandering you do.

Kremzeek

Having played and LOVED the PS2 version, my heart breaks to know the orchestrated soundtrack is not with this version- just like the disappointing iPad version.

Is there any chance at all we may still get a PS4 remaster some time ?......

Having played and LOVED the PS2 version, my heart breaks to know the orchestrated soundtrack is not with this version- just like the disappointing iPad version.

Is there any chance at all we may still get a PS4 remaster some time ?......
Even on the off chance it was remade for PS4 it probably still wouldn't have the orchestral score.

ethomaz

Banned
Masterpiece like JRPGs needs to be.

And just shows how some guys like to say that if the old JRPG get released today it won't get good scores is a myth.

Great games get great scores no matter when it is reviewed.

StereoVsn

I love DQ VIII but January is such a busy month what with GR2 and Yakuza 0 and the other games next couple of month, this will go into backlog for sure.

cwistofu

Check out this comprehensive summary from RPG Site. Couple of minor changes and lack of orchestral score as the one big change.

You can also compare the IGN 3DS review to the IGN PS2 review from 2005.

The reviewer makes it sound like the 3DS version is fundamentally still the same great experience as the PS2 version, streamlined just enough to make it a better fit for a handheld with some additional content as a cherry on top.
We were asking about the comment as to DQ6's DS/mobile port problems!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
From the Nintendo Life review, part of what makes DQVIII fantastic:

It sounds like a simple setup, but Journey of the Cursed King's story isn't exactly as it initially appears, and a constant succession of intrigue, complications and fresh faces continues to delight and surprise across the entire adventure. It hits on plenty of familiar fairy-tale beats, but always in a new light — European lore filtered through a Japanese perspective — and it certainly helps that the characters are well-drawn and likable. Jessica in particular is one of the more memorable heroines of recent RPGs, and we loved learning more about the whole cast's lives and motivations as the narrative unfolded.

The next quote is about DQVII, not VIII.

I can handle 70 if that's for the main story!

Just to be clear, DQVII does not have a fantastic overarching story. It's very much broken into smaller stories as its primary narrative and that wore thin on some (including me). DQVIII, the game being reviewed here, is more cohesive and tighter, if you will.

DQVIII really is the best DQ.

Weebos

Banned
Tempted to pick up this one, it sounds more up my alley than 7.

I enjoyed what I played of 7, but it didn't hook me.

JimPanzer

just recently played through the japanese version. absolutetly stellar game. it's also the funniest game I've ever played, wonderful light-hearted, warm humor.

My only complaint were the inverted camera controls. Did they "fix" that for the western version?

just recently played through the japanese version. absolutetly stellar game. it's also the funniest game I've ever played, wonderful light-hearted, warm humor.

My only complaint were the inverted camera controls. Did they "fix" that for the western version?

Yes. That issue seems to have been addressed based on a video I saw of the localised version.

brinstar

Here's the new midi arrangement of the overworld theme

I started playing the PS2 verison yesterday in order to compare the two games and while the original soundtrack is certainly grand I quite like how much clearer the 3DS version sounds.

Yeah the soundtrack sounds fine to me. The only song I'm worried will suffer is the battle theme, the orchestra version gives it a kick I really like. Is there a link to the new version of it?

SuperSah

Banned
For me:
1) the voiced dialouge is terrific. It really makes the playable characters resonate as well as the story as a whole.
2) the monster hunting/capturing aspect. Completely optional but rewarding if you pursue it.
3) since its not a series of vignettes the story flows much better. Not as stilted.
4) not nearly as much backtracking since you arent jumping through different time periods.

Dq7 is a game for hardcore dq fans and old school jrpg fans. Dq8 will appeal to those people too but also a wider range of players, imo.

Thanks for your input - guess I'm buying this then!

Sojiro

Wow, I didn't realize this game was so close to being released. Shit I still haven't finished VII (about 65 hours in), so I need to pick up the pace! I will get this, and probably sit on it for a while, I still haven't even opened Pokemon Moon from Xmas lol. Also, sad face for all the DQ VII hate, its probably my favorite of the series!

B00TE

I'm so excited to finally have this on my 3DS. This and GR2 on the same day is rough, even having played through DQ8 twice-ish.

JoeM86

Another review

Nintendo Insider - 9/10
This is the Dragon Quest experience that you have been waiting for, woven around a captivating tale and a wondrous world in which to tell it. This becomes another unmissable addition to the impressive RPG library that the Nintendo 3DS has built, kicking the year off with a jubilant fanfare.

What was wrong with them?
Camera controls were inverted only in the Japanese version.

Yeah the soundtrack sounds fine to me. The only song I'm worried will suffer is the battle theme, the orchestra version gives it a kick I really like. Is there a link to the new version of it?
The "new" version, which is really just the one used in games like Theatrhythm Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest Heroes, is better than the one that appeared in the Japanese PS2/mobile versions IMO. It has more of the punch I expect and clearer sounding instruments, especially the trumpets. It's nowhere near the orchestra versions though, because this sort of composition just works better with real instruments, but it's acceptable enough for me.

kromeo

I know not everyone loved it but it's a shame to lose the level 5 looking menus from the ps2 version, not that there's anything wrong with the traditional DQ black boxes

dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-20051116001241339-000.jpg

ghibli99

Nice reviews! I don't think I could play through this again, but will certainly buy it to show my support and play enough to get a feel for the differences. Looking forward to it!

7 hate doesn't surprise me, but it makes me sad. I love DQ8, but DQ7 is extremely special too. The stories in that game are among the best in the entire series.

Honestly, the series is so consistent though that any opinion that says one game is dramatically better than the others is strange to me, unless spectacle (audio/visual) quality is really the most important thing.

I'm going to echo this sentiment. Each and every mainline DQ game is special in its own way. This is coming from a gamer that never got into the DQ series until DQ8 and subsequently went back to play the rest. Admittedly I didn't like DQ7 as much as DQ8 but it's still a really great game with some of the best vignettes or small stories encountered on a RPG journey.

For anyone who hasn't played a DQ game, I highly recommend DQ8. It basically perfects the JRPG and does everything well. It might not have a mind blowing story but it has a great world, charming and simple characters, and serviceable gameplay.

For anyone who disliked DQ7, it's more than worth trying DQ8 as well since they're so different. DQ7 tried something new and may not be for every one. It's more boring for many people. But DQ8 is what you expect out of a journey in a JRPG.

For anyone who likes DQ7, give this game a shot as well. It doesn't try anything new like DQ3,5,7, or 9 but it's basically the JRPG perfected.

Arkeband

Banned
I know not everyone loved it but it's a shame to lose the level 5 looking menus from the ps2 version, not that there's anything wrong with the traditional DQ black boxes

dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-20051116001241339-000.jpg

Black boxes are only a problem if there's severe menu lag introduced via localization.

Lothar

Banned
You should try DQIV or V. Both are in the 25-35 hour range depending on how much grinding/meandering you do.

I agree with this for anyone wanting a short DQ. Not only is DQ V short, it's one of the best. It's the only one that doesn't cause a lot of disagreements. Almost everyone puts it near the top. It's the FF6 of DQ.

While I love both 7 and 8, I think they have big flaws that 5 doesn't have. 7 has the enormous length, and 8 has a really lackluster uncreative story compared to 4, 5, and 7.

Hazmat

Not getting burned again, VII was not fun

There are some hardcore DQ fans that will burn me at the stake for this, but DQ7 is terrible. I was eager for the rerelease after not liking the original version years ago on the PSX, but it's still bad.

Anyway, don't sleep on DQ8 (or 3, 4, and 5), it's excellent.

I'll record it in an hour or so, just putting my review together at the moment.

cwistofu

Hmmm that sounds pretty good, actually. I wonder if the midi soundtrack would really be all that bad for a newcomer like me after all.

I was turned off at first that they would actively go and remove the orchestrated OST but everything I've heard of the MIDI version sounds perfectly fine. This is from someone who played the US PS2 release and basically lived on the DQ8 orchestrated OST for studying through grad school.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ugh I really want to get this and the same reason I didnt get it on PS2 is holding me back, my backlog is too big. Got a dozen 3DS games to beat and half of them are lengthy RPGs.

Yeah, there's something about DQ7 that never sat quite right with me.

The earlier games managed to tell epic overarching stories filled with memorable characters in 25-40 hours apiece. DQ7 takes a ridiculously long time just to reach the first battle.

DQ8 strikes a good middle ground. I wish I finished it though, got kinda side-tracked at the 30(?) hour mark (reached the snow country, forget what it's called).

KyleCross

Can't wait to play the game in its definitive version.
You can't be serious. This is a downgrade in so many ways. The fact S-E is destroying the game to fit it on a handheld instead of remastering it to consoles and PC is a travesty. The added features do not begin to counter-balance the graphical and audio downgrades as well as the censorship. One of the greatest games of all time deserves better treatment.

Arkeband

Banned
I was turned off at first that they would actively go and remove the orchestrated OST but everything I've heard of the MIDI version sounds perfectly fine. This is from someone who played the US PS2 release and basically lived on the DQ8 orchestrated OST for studying through grad school.

It's missing notes all over the place, so while it might be fine it's pretty obviously inferior.

You can't be serious. This is a downgrade in so many ways. The fact S-E is destroying the game to fit it on a handheld instead of remastering it to consoles and PC is a travesty. One of the greatest games of all time deserves better treatment.
Destroying?
It has worse graphics cause it's on a 3DS and the music had to be changed to MIDI likely due to legal stuff (and this can be hacked back in!).
Every other change is a major boon to the game so yeah this is the definitive version.

You can't be serious. This is a downgrade in so many ways. The fact S-E is destroying the game to fit it on a handheld instead of remastering it to consoles and PC is a travesty. The added features do not begin to counter-balance the graphical and audio downgrades as well as the censorship. One of the greatest games of all time deserves better treatment.
Hyperbole much?

KyleCross

Destroying?
It has worse graphics cause it's on a 3DS and the music had to be changed to MIDI likely due to legal stuff (and this can be hacked back in!).
Every other change is a major boon to the game so yeah this is the definitive version.
Giving an explanation for the downgrade doesn't stop it from being a downgrade. What is this logic? How can you honestly say a version of a game that looks worse, sounds worse, and is censored is the definitive experience?
Hyperbole much?
Most definitely not. I realize some may not care for my strong opinion, but I mean every word.

It only really comes down to superior presentation vs superior gameplay, I played the 3DS version before trying it on PS2 and vastly prefer the handheld experience. PS2 sure is beautiful though.

KyleCross

It only really comes down to superior presentation vs superior gameplay, I played the 3DS version before trying it on PS2 and vastly prefer the handheld experience. PS2 sure is beautiful though.
It's still DQVIII even on 3DS, therefore it's great. But it is still an inferior version in many ways and I take much issue with that being disagreed with and especially with someone calling it the "definitive version."

brinstar

The "new" version, which is really just the one used in games like Theatrhythm Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest Heroes, is better than the one that appeared in the Japanese PS2/mobile versions IMO. It has more of the punch I expect and clearer sounding instruments, especially the trumpets. It's nowhere near the orchestra versions though, because this sort of composition just works better with real instruments, but it's acceptable enough for me.

Oh this sounds pretty great actually.

Giving an explanation for the downgrade doesn't stop it from being a downgrade. What is this logic? How can you honestly say a version of a game that looks worse, sounds worse, and is censored is the definitive experience?

Maybe some people think more story, features, party members, bosses and dungeons are more important than the audio/visual quality? Not that graphics aren't important or that DQVIII didn't excel at that but reading DQVIII threads sometimes gives me the impression that the only thing people did with the game is look at it.

The problem with this is that aside from the visuals, there's no guarantee that these compromises won't be in a hypothetical PS4 remaster, for example. The Japanese version of the 3DS version for example sounds so vastly superior to the PS2 version that it's truly a shame it never crossed over, but that's because of reasons outside of platform constraints. Same with censoring. DQ is a series primarily for everyone and the censorships were likely done to fit the stricter rating guidelines by CERO. Again outside of platform considerations.

You're also dismissing a ton of the extras and improvements that simply make this version a better playing experience.

Top Bottom