• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI on track to hit Square Enix's unit expectations

120v

Most likely PS4 was planned first, then 3DS after because after thinking about it they realized there was no way to sell 4+ million copies on PS4 alone. .

footage of the PS4 version was looking rough for awhile while the 3DS game looked virtually finished. i don't know if one version was planned before the other but they were at least sitting on the 3DS one for awhile it seems

I wonder what their higher end expectations are. It's tracking better than DQVIII sales wise but worse than DQIX.

It seems they expected stronger sales off the blocks with the 3DS version. But honestly didn't they position the PS4 version as the 'main' one? That means initial sales which largely comprise enthusiasts will probably want a DQ in higher fidelity (if given the choice as they were here) while the casual buyers will favour the 3DS version over time.

The expectations seems pretty sane actually, the ps4 and 3ds sales are very close to each other while the 3ds install base is multiple times higher AND ps4 games has a history of underselling in japan. PS4 version is selling over expectations and 3DS under. Maybe a case of cannibalization.

Both versions are probably at the lower and of expectations. Square is not dumb, they now that 3DS light is going out, but they surely not expected that Switch would take over Japan so fast.

PS4 version had probably much higher production costs and sales seem low too, but if the Switch version use the same assets the costs are more negligible.

Square should release the Switch version as soon as possible, its obvious that many people are waiting for this (or the interest in DQ is not that strong anymore).

It all just feels weird. I mean I guess you have to put out a number range for your home territory.

In terms of success for the title though how can you even really know for any media these days until it's gone world wide?

Because relative to Japan, no one else on earth buys Dragon Quest.

The success and failure of a DQ mainline game depends on Japan. WW sales are just a footnote.

Both versions are probably at the lower and of expectations. Square is not dumb, they now that 3DS light is going out, but they surely not expected that Switch would take over Japan so fast.

PS4 version had probably much higher production costs and sales seem low too, but if the Switch version use the same assets the costs are more negligible.

Square should release the Switch version as soon as possible, its obvious that many people are waiting for this (or the interest in DQ is not that strong anymore).

What were you expecting?

I doubt the PS4 is at the lower end for them .
Most likely mid way since they said there are seeing strong sales for it .
Plus this was about 2 weeks ago so they most likely expected a higher number from the 3DS version early on .

Guessing time!!

Lower end: 3.5 million. It should hit that in the coming weeks. Game already shipped more than 3 million copies. Since word of mouth seems to be very positive I expect legs to be fine.

Upper end: 4.3 million. That is... the same numbers of DQIX (somebody corrects me if I'm wrong).

Also S-E said they had conservative expectations in regards to DQXI's performance, current market being one of the reasons. 3.5 million would mean a 0.8 fall from the last mainline game. Far from a disaster imo, but I dunno if Japan can sustain those high numbers anymore.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Well, seeing as how this isn't coming to the West any time soon, I can't help but feel like they fucked up with the release strategy. There is no logic to it at all.

D.Lo

Guessing time!!

Lower end: 3.5 million. It should hit that in the coming weeks. Game already shipped more than 3 million copies. Since word of mouth seems to be very positive I expect legs to be fine.

Upper end: 4.3 million. That is... the same numbers of DQIX (somebody corrects me if I'm wrong).

Also S-E said they had conservative expectations in regards to DQXI's performance, current market being one of the reasons. 3.5 million would mean a 0.8 fall from the last mainline game. Far from a disaster imo, but I dunno if Japan can sustain those high numbers anymore.
Considering it took two completely different versions, one of which was an expensive HD game, it could be seen that the game needed record sales to justify its existence.

Considering it took two completely different versions, one of which was an expensive HD game, it could be seen that the game needed record sales to justify its existence.

Well then you will have to wait on the western sales for that .
Cause no way SE made a PS4 version only thinking about Japan .
Plus i don't think the PS4 that expensive since it lacking all the high end stuff .

requiem02

Banned
All the data we've seen shows the 3DS version slightly outperforming the PS4 version, and yet this article says the PS4 version has sold more? Odd.

All the data we've seen shows the 3DS version slightly outperforming the PS4 version, and yet this article says the PS4 version has sold more? Odd.

The presentation is from August 4th, so it's based on first week sales where both versions were closer in terms of unit sales. Perhaps adding digital numbers the PS4 version was able to surpass total 3DS sales.

Right now 3DS should be safely ahead though.

footage of the PS4 version was looking rough for awhile while the 3DS game looked virtually finished. i don't know if one version was planned before the other but they were at least sitting on the 3DS one for awhile it seems

They've stated specifically that the PS4 version was the only one that they planned originally. Given the hardware, I imagine it was a lot easier to get the 3DS version together. I also don't agree that the PS4 version looked rough, not entirely sure why people keep saying this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Last week's Media Create had 3DS higher

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 307.714 / 1.456.601 (-73%)
02./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 200.798 / 1.151.113 (-79%)

We'll see where they stand tomorrow. They clearly expected the 3DS to greatly exceed the PS4, but I have a feeling PS4 is performing beyond expectations too.

It's obviously anecdotal, but every store I've been to that has sold out on DQXI has sold out on the PS4 version before the 3DS, something I didn't actually expect. Good to hear for PS4 health, though.

KtSlime

They've stated specifically that the PS4 version was the only one that they planned originally. Given the hardware, I imagine it was a lot easier to get the 3DS version together. I also don't agree that the PS4 version looked rough, not entirely sure why people keep saying this.

SE also has a lot of experience with putting DQ games on 3DS, there is no doubt it my mind it took less time make the 3DS version.

D.Lo

Well then you will have to wait on the western sales for that .
Cause no way SE made a PS4 version only thinking about Japan .
Plus i don't think the PS4 that expensive since it lacking all the high end stuff .
We'll see how that goes for them. Seems extremely dumb to risk an HD development budget (or locked-in Japanese sales) for 'a chance' of western success with a series that has only ever done well in Japan.

Horii talked about for years about how he wanted to make XI more of a successor to VIII after IX and X kind of went off rails with the formula on top of pushing the series a lot on Playstation with Heroes and Builders. I imagine the 3DS version was put together later in the planning stages because A) The 3DS has a larger install base in Japan and the PS4 was selling slowly there and B) It was an easy game to put together. I don't think Square expected XI to become a killer app for the PS4 because of the 3DS version but I guess it kind of did.

danthefan

So am I right in saying this series doesn't tend to do that well in the West? Do we have a release date yet, or even official confirmation it's coming?

So am I right in saying this series doesn't tend to do that well in the West? Do we have a release date yet, or even official confirmation it's coming?

2018, confirmed, doesn't do that hot in general except 9 and PS2 8. XI will probably sell like 9 and 8 unlike the remakes, we seem to prefer new entries over remakes by a large margin.

FingerBang

It's obviously anecdotal, but every store I've been to that has sold out on DQXI has sold out on the PS4 version before the 3DS, something I didn't actually expect. Good to hear for PS4 health, though.

I think people kinda have a distorted idea of the current state of Playstation in Japan. I'd say it's doing fine. It's far from being the juggernaut PS2 was but it's the console to go to for modern AAA (non Nintendo) games.

Depends on how you define 'well'

IX did above a million in the West, which is respectable, but dwarfed by the 4+ million in Japan.

Basically, it's a juggernaut in Japan, but much more niche in the rest of the world. The main problem that the series has is that it's biggest selling point in Japan -the very specific sense of nostalgia it evokes- is what limits it's success in the rest of the world, since the games just feel dated rather than nostalgic here.

killatopak

They must be patting themselves in the back for releasing in ps4.

Sad about the 3ds though. That's the version I want and if I know SE any better, they'll take this as a reason to not localize the 3ds version or worse(for others because I prefer this) localize the 3ds version on the Switch.

2018, confirmed, doesn't do that hot in general except 9 and PS2 8. XI will probably sell like 9 and 8 unlike the remakes, we seem to prefer new entries over remakes by a large margin.

I'm not entirely convinced DQ XI will match IX in the West. Nintendo really went all out in marketing IX and gave it top billing. I can't see them doing that with XI, especially with the PS4 version eating their sales.

Maybe Sony might? But I can't recall Sony really putting their weight behind 1-1.5 million sellers outside of the early phases in a new console gen, when Sony and MS are doing everything they can to differentiate their consoles.

killatopak

I'm not entirely convinced DQ XI will match IX in the West. Nintendo really went all out in marketing IX and gave it top billing. I can't see them doing that with XI, especially with the PS4 version eating their sales.

Maybe Sony might? But I can't recall Sony really putting their weight behind 1-1.5 million sellers outside of the early phases in a new console gen, when Sony and MS are doing everything they can to differentiate their consoles.
I think Sony is the publisher on this one but NioH was supported pretty well. It's koei ip though.

Rymuth

Ni-oh

I'm hopeful for the western release, I think we're seeing a growing interest in Japanese games over here.

After all, did anyone expect Nier: Automata to be as successful as it was? I think if this game gets good word of mouth, it might transcend the art style barrier.

I'm rooting for you square.

EDIT: I am not routing Square, that would be weird.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So the PS4 version outsold the 3DS version ?

As some have said, I think when they said stronger, they meant when compare to their own internal expectation and to the install base. They probably expected the 3DS version to sell more and the PS4 version to sell less than it did. They also expect to see more growth in the 3DS version.

lupinko

They must be patting themselves in the back for releasing in ps4.

Sad about the 3ds though. That's the version I want and if I know SE any better, they'll take this as a reason to not localize the 3ds version or worse(for others because I prefer this) localize the 3ds version on the Switch.

The Switch version is likely a downgraded PS4 port. Unless they rework the 3DS game's unique dual game feature for the single screen switch, a PS4 port would be easier for switch. Especially since Switch is also UE4 compliant.

D.Lo

It's in a weird position. Assuming at least two versions come west (probably PS4/Switch) why would Sony or Nintendo really push a (not already blockbuster name) multiplatform game you can get elsewhere? Their marketing dollars can be better spent on something else. Sony in particular, why would they help grow the DQ brand when there is likely no way PS4 will get another DQ game?

Waji

Incoming boy band Dragon Quest with a fractured story and poor DLC.

/s .....maybe
tumblr_mo8za7v3Qs1rbgu1so2_250.gif

gtj1092

We'll see how that goes for them. Seems extremely dumb to risk an HD development budget (or locked-in Japanese sales) for 'a chance' of western success with a series that has only ever done well in Japan.

There's that mythical HD budget term again. Tell me the dollar figure of an HD budget game? Trying to figure it out because of every ps4/x1/pc game is HD.

There's that mythical HD budget term again. Tell me the dollar figure of an HD budget game? Trying to figure it out because of every ps4/x1/pc game is HD.

HD doesn't refer to the resolution here, but to the devices related to these. Basically it's a distinction between handheld/mobile/consoles.

D.Lo

it's called shorthand pal. It means 'big budget current gen home console game'.

The game is 30GB and doesn't even have any recorded voices (or soundtrack?), and only has one language on the disc. It costs a lot to make 30GB of graphical assets.

killatopak

The Switch version is likely a downgraded PS4 port. Unless they rework the 3DS game's unique dual game feature for the single screen switch, a PS4 port would be easier for switch. Especially since Switch is also UE4 compliant.

For the general public, I hope you're right. I actually prefer if they port the 3ds version instead as I like the aesthetics more and don't want it to be compromised by 3ds tech. Kinda like how I might import MH XX on switch simply because it's full hd. I wouldn't have otherwise since starting from the beginning without importing my save would suck.

It's in a weird position. Assuming at least two versions come west (probably PS4/Switch) why would Sony or Nintendo really push a (not already blockbuster name) multiplatform game you can get elsewhere? Their marketing dollars can be better spent on something else. Sony in particular, why would they help grow the DQ brand when there is likely no way PS4 will get another DQ game?

Because they want another dq game on ps4. They see the success of it in japan and that's enough for them to consider it. Having another DQ on ps4 is like having another killer app for it at least for japan. In order for SE to consider releasing another one for the ps4, they need to gauge interest in the west and have them interested since it seems SE decoded to have an hd release on ps4 in order fot DQ to be more well known world wide.

--

3ds sales should be much higher than ps4 especially in the coming weeks. Higher install base and cheaper price should ensure that.

HD development price should be a no issue since the profit margin of console games are much higher than handheld ones. $40 vs $60.

KtSlime

Wow, now we measure development budgets on file size, this is a really new good one.

While it is an absurd way to measure it, surely you aren't suggesting that the PS4 version didn't cost more than the 3DS version to make. SE will likely make more of their profit off the 3DS version not only due to sales, but cost to make. Will we ever have solid evidence of this, likely not, but it isn't some fantastical thought that games that require larger quality assets and precision character movement costs more.

Fdkn

While it is an absurd way to measure it, surely you aren't suggesting that the PS4 version didn't cost more than the 3DS version to make. SE will likely make more of their profit off the 3DS version not only due to sales, but cost to make. Will we ever have solid evidence of this, likely not, but it isn't some fantastical thought that games that require larger quality assets and precision character movement costs more.

I'm not suggesting anything, just got surprised by a funny statement.

PS4 version cost more to make, and also sells for almost double the price, but that's not even the point.

This HD costs wildcard to push arguments has already gotten out of control. DQXI is barely an AAA game if you compare it to the software we see each year on the ps4. It uses a modern engine and modern tools and has a pleasant art direction so it looks nice, but the game is not really pushing anything impressive at all.

The fact that the game has no voices and repurposed music says much more about how it's not a big scale game.

Making a game that doesn't look like it could run on the ps2 does not mean it's a colossal investment that needs a gazillion units sold to break even.

I'm not suggesting anything, just got surprised by a funny statement.

PS4 version cost more to make, and also sells for almost double the price, but that's not even the point.

This HD costs wildcard to push arguments has already gotten out of control. DQXI is barely an AAA game if you compare it to the software we see each year on the ps4. It uses a modern engine and modern tools and has a pleasant art direction so it looks nice, but the game is not really pushing anything impressive at all.

The fact that the game has no voices and repurposed music says much more about how it's not a big scale game.

Making a game that doesn't look like it could run on the ps2 does not mean it's a colossal investment that needs a gazillion units sold to break even.

Eh, truth to be told, even if the game was somewhat costy, I'd say it already broke even on PS4, by a wide margin.

Top Bottom