• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI on track to hit Square Enix's unit expectations

Fiendcode

I agree and PS4 is doing pretty well but most post in MC threads looks at the Nintendo vs non-Nintendo side.

Wut?

Handhelds are handhelds, consoles are consoles. The only ones that threat handhelds like consoles are the ones that wants to make consoles look bad.
Well, right now it's pretty much Nintendo (3DS, Switch) vs non-Nintendo being the PS4 since Wii U, Vita and Xbox in general are essentially done. PS4 might be "doing well" with certain caveats but historically it's not really great and more akin to something like the post-Famicom Nintendo consoles or a Sega platform. Lowered expectations I guess.

Also Japan makes less distinction between portable and home consoles than they do between handhelds and mobile. There's not much difference in the region really, the great handheld vs console divide is mainly a western mindset.

LordRaptor

I mean that is just a reporting choice. NPD does separate them. The fact that they are tracking the Switch as a console instead of a handheld was talked about in one of the NPD threads.

It seems ludicrous to me in a topic literally about a title available on both, with sales being directly compared across both to start saying "Oh, but handhelds and consoles are totally different you shouldnt compare them"

ethomaz

Banned
It seems ludicrous to me in a topic literally about a title available on both, with sales being directly compared across both to start saying "Oh, but handhelds and consoles are totally different you shouldnt compare them"
That is why SE make different version for each market... there is a clear distinction even from Square Enix and they tried to focus in both market with different versions.

LordRaptor

That is why SE make different version for each market... there is a clear distinction even from Square Enix and they tried to focus in both market with different versions.

I honestly don't see how you can interpret that from what they say as quoted in the OP.
They are talking about a single product on two platforms, and their expectations for each.

They are not saying "Oh, investors, actually you're wrong, handhelds don't count because reasons, so please don't ask about the handheld version or compare it to the non handheld version"

noshten

I mean there were some people saying the DQXI ps4 was only going to sale like 200k-300k copies. Clearly that was underselling the ps4. We will have to see Horii stated multiple times he wanted DQXI to be an hd console game so everyone saying they should have skipped the ps4 release is kind of ignoring the whole reason it exists. Also SE is gambling a bit on the overseas success selling some ps4 copies but who knows I hope it sells well over here.

The only predictions that are even remotely close to that were made 8 months ago before anyone knew:
- release date for DQXI
- Switch version being delayed

So it seems you aren't really looking at MC threads during the last 8 months. If you can find anyone from the Prediction League for DQXI launch that gave a prediction for 200-300K copies I'd be surprised.

What I get here is that you will continue to eating crow :(

That is the exactly the bad mindset for non-Nintendo platform on MC threads we are talking about.

PS4 is doing great in Japan.

Define "great." 200k used to be "good for Falcom" when they were putting low budget PS1 JRPGs on the PSP. Now people seem to think that HD console games that do 50-100k are doing really well.

silva1991

have seen stronger sales of the PlayStation®4 version than the NINTENDO 3DS version

giphy.gif

ethomaz

Banned
I honestly don't see how you can interpret that from what they say as quoted in the OP.
They are talking about a single product on two platforms, and their expectations for each.

They are not saying "Oh, investors, actually you're wrong, handhelds don't count because reasons, so please don't ask about the handheld version or compare it to the non handheld version"
What your post even means? Who said handhelds didn't could or that you can't ask about the 3DS?

Define "great." 200k used to be "good for Falcom" when they were putting low budget PS1 JRPGs on the PSP. Now people seem to think that HD console games that do 50-100k are doing really well.
Great = Over 5m units sold on track to reach 10m in today Japan console market plus way higher software sales than previous generation.

noshten

Great = Over 5m units sold on track to reach 10m in today Japan console market plus way higher software sales than previous generation.

Prior generation Sony had two devices on the market PS3 and PS Vita if you combine the software sales on those you'd see that there isn't much higher sales than the previous generation. Since Sony gets money from sw sold on both devices it's silly to separate them.

Wereroku

The only predictions that are even remotely close to that were made 8 months ago before anyone knew:
- release date for DQXI
- Switch version being delayed

So it seems you aren't really looking at MC threads during the last 8 months. If you can find anyone from the Prediction League for DQXI launch that gave a prediction for 200-300K copies I'd be surprised.

I haven't gone through every reply but I know expectations were very low for the PS4 version. Were they closer to 500K now? Either way it sold quite a bit more then people and SE expected.

Aeana

We've got last week's sales now

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 116.615 / 1.573.216 (-62%)

03./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 91.147 / 1.242.260 (-55%)

andymcc

Banned
the switch one should have a retro "switch" mode like on 3DS.

Even if the switch has a lower install base, I bet it would have had longer legs on it if it was released on it instead of 3DS.

noshten

I haven't gone through every reply but I know expectations were very low for the PS4 version. Were they closer to 500K now? Either way it sold quite a bit more then people and SE expected.

You haven't gone through the replies but were happy to talk about people expecting DQXI on the PS4 to do 200-300K at launch. Next time either bring receipts or you'd be called out on baseless accusations

Was probably a mistake to announce the switch version and not have it at launch. I imagine there is probably a large chunk of people holding out for that version which is impacting the 3ds and ps4 versions.

Was probably a mistake to announce the switch version and not have it at launch. I imagine there is probably a large chunk of people holding out for that version which is impacting the 3ds and ps4 versions.

I really don't think the switch version is effecting the PS4 version much.
Since it doing good for SE or more than what most people thought .
If anything switch version effect the 3DS version and maybe some of the casual moving on .

oldsnakebro

Is it confirmed which version NSW will be? Ps4 or 3DS or maybe both?

noshten

It's almost like a large chunk of Nintendo fans are losing interest in the 3DS or something. Who would've guessed?

I honestly expected it to be worse with Switch being out and lots of franchises seeing 3DS fatigue. SMM, MHXX, 2DSXL launch and DQXI have provided 3DS with a fantastic start to 2017, thus far its up YoY.
I expected this year the 3DS to fare far worse but 3rd party games and new model have given it a great start despite the userbase transitioning to the Switch.

DQXI is performing fantastically on both the PS4 and 3DS considering the situation. FFXV still hasn't passed 1 million physically - compare that to DQXI which took two weeks to pass 1 million on the PS4. Just goes to show that the PS4 is able to support these type of launches, it's a sign that MHW potentially might be able to do the same next year.

I mean there were some people saying the DQXI ps4 was only going to sale like 200k-300k copies. Clearly that was underselling the ps4. We will have to see Horii stated multiple times he wanted DQXI to be an hd console game so everyone saying they should have skipped the ps4 release is kind of ignoring the whole reason it exists. Also SE is gambling a bit on the overseas success selling some ps4 copies but who knows I hope it sells well over here.

For a DQ game? Who said that? Link to posts or I'm calling you out on your bullshit

Those Dq numbers that guy post seemed mad low for ppls predictions but I definitely remember it's gonna bomb or underperform posts for sure especially considering media create threads are essentially switch sales threads

_Ryo_

I think it selling more on PS4 is even more impressive after realizing that the PS4 version costs about 2000 more yen than the 3DS version.

Wereroku

For a DQ game? Who said that? Link to posts or I'm calling you out on your bullshit

No I was wrong and I removed the numbers sorry.

You haven't gone through the replies but were happy to talk about people expecting DQXI on the PS4 to do 200-300K at launch. Next time either bring receipts or you'd be called out on baseless accusations

Sorry I have removed that guess I will just stay out of these threads since I don't have time to keep up with that stuff. What were people expecting? Clearly it surpassed SE's estimates since they say so here.

Aeana

I think it selling more on PS4 is even more impressive after realizing that the PS4 version costs about 2000 more yen than the 3DS version.

It hasn't sold more units on PS4. In terms of total units, 3DS is ahead. PS4's revenue is ahead due to costing more.

It hasn't sold more units on PS4. In terms of total units, 3DS is ahead. PS4's revenue is ahead due to costing more.

Well, we don't have digital numbers for either yet. I think the PS4 version might have done pretty well digitally since week 1 stock of the PS4 version practically sold out all of it's stock so is it possible that it sold 340k digitally? Probably not but I think digital numbers for DQXI may be a lot higher than most averages for games in Japan.

Well, we don't have digital numbers for either yet. I think the PS4 version might have done pretty well digitally since week 1 stock of the PS4 version practically sold out all of it's stock so is it possible that it sold 340k digitally? Probably not but I think digital numbers for DQXI may be a lot higher than most averages for games in Japan.

DD rate in Japan is 10% to 15% if i remember right .

Oemenia

Banned
The Switch might just turn out to be the 3DS version and it could be a better way to introduce that version to the West. I don't see Sony letting go of the game that easily.

gtj1092

What difference does it make. Point is MC members always low ball anything PS related. We had to spend a year hearing how no way DQ 11 would even come to ps4. Then after it was announced, how the 3DS would trounce it in sales and how the ps4 version was way behind in development and holding back the 3DS version.

Or how SE is a horrible company because they don't make 3DS exclusives even though they continue to post profits year after year.

Now it's capcoms turn to be the horrible company due to MH world.

LordKano

The Switch might just turn out to be the 3DS version and it could be a better way to introduce that version to the West. I don't see Sony letting go of the game that easily.

Lol, you think Sony will decide which version the Switch is based on ?

No it's not possible it sold 340k digitally because the PS4 version wasn't out of stock. Neither versions were.

Unusually high digital sales like those are due to severe stock shortages.

Mrbob

Yeah, this is why square enix is happy with ps4 sales. It is over performing expectations while 3ds is under performing expectations.

That quote in the op seems to be referring to sales expectations versus actual sales. Though actual sales are close and I'm surprised PS4 had a smaller week over week drop.

What your post even means? Who said handhelds didn't could or that you can't ask about the 3DS?

I'm sorry, which Japanese PS4 titles are due to sell over 5 million units? You said the "PS4 is doing great." What software is doing better? FFXV certainly didn't do better than FFXIII.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wonder if it means this will be the last mainline DQ on the 3DS if the sales are under performing. Even if it wasn't, given how far apart releases tend to be, would it even be realistic to release DQXII on the 3DS in a similar manner as they did with XI?

BadWolf

Wonder if it means this will be the last mainline DQ on the 3DS if the sales are under performing. Even if it wasn't, given how far apart releases tend to be, would it even be realistic to release DQXII on the 3DS in a similar manner as they did with XI?

3DS will probably be dead by the time DQXII hits.

Sounds obvious it is. Say, if realistically, DQXII was for 2 or 3 years later, it'd be 2019/2020. 3DS would be way too old, like 8 to 9 years old.

_Ryo_

Ah. I see what you mean. So while the PS4 version has made more money, the 3DS version has actually sold more copies. Makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Pepboy

3DS is now the best single machine for playing DQ franchise. 1-3 via digital. 4-6 for DS. 7 and 8 remakes, 9 for DS, X technically has a version (though worst) and a unique version of XI. I really can't expect anything more.

If DQ3 is getting a remake, my guess is the unexpected 3DS sales would cause them to reconsider porting it to 3DS. DQXII is probably no where near ready unless as maybe another MMO developed in parallel. I'll count myself lucky if we get DQXII at all this gen.

Top Bottom