• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragonball Z Revival OT Super | Super Saiyan God Super Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Believe it or not, that title is less redundant than what it's satirizing.

Dragon_Ball_Z_logo.png

Welcome to the Dragonball Z Revival OT! The thread for the OG series is here. With the advent of a new TV series, Dragonball Z Chou (Super), a new thread has been made to celebrate and discuss the revival of the series. Son Goku and Friends Return, Yo!

Shamlessly stolen Wiki info:

Dragon Ball (Japanese: ドラゴンボール Hepburn: Doragon Bōru) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama. It was originally serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1984 to 1995, with the 519 individual chapters published into 42 tankōbon volumes by Shueisha. Dragon Ball was initially inspired by the classical Chinese novel Journey to the West. The series follows the adventures of the protagonist, Goku, from his childhood through adulthood as he trains in martial arts and explores the world in search of the seven orbs known as the Dragon Balls, which summon a wish-granting dragon when gathered. Along his journey, Goku makes several friends and battles a wide variety of villains, many of whom also seek the Dragon Balls.

Since its release, Dragon Ball has become one of the most successful manga and anime series of all time. The manga's 42 volumes have sold over 156 million copies in Japan and more than 230 million copies worldwide, making it the second best-selling manga series in history. Reviewers have praised the art, characterization, and humor of the story. It is widely regarded as one of the greatest manga series ever made, with many manga artists such as Eiichiro Oda (One Piece), Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto), Tite Kubo (Bleach), Hiro Mashima (Rave Master, Fairy Tail) and Kentaro Yabuki (Black Cat) citing Dragon Ball as a source of inspiration for their own now popular works. The anime, particularly Dragon Ball Z, is also highly popular in various countries and was arguably one of the most influential in boosting the popularity of Japanese animation in Western culture.

Now, that's all well and good, but Dragon Ball ended 18 years ago, right? Well, recently, there have been a number of new entries that line up with series canon. Let's go over them briefly:

Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return

2008_Dragon_Ball_Short.PNG

Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! (ドラゴンボール オッス! 帰ってきた孫悟空と仲間たち!! Doragon Bōru Ossu! Kaette Kita Son Gokū to Nakama-tachi!!) is a 35-minute Dragon Ball animated short film that premiered at the Jump Super Anime Tour in September 2008. Some of Freeza's minions come to earth. Oh, and Vegeta has a brother. He's not what you'd expect. In fact, he's so weak that his family wanted to forget about him. Vegeta included. Tarble's (Vegebro) character is the highlight of this movie.

The best part about this movie was that it was new Dragonball material in 2008; the first new canon material in a long time. This could be considered the beginning of the "new" Dragonball - that is, the series' continuation since the end of the Buu arc years and years ago.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

DBZ_THE_MOVIE_NO._14.png

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (ドラゴンボールZ 神と神 Doragon Bōru Zetto: Kami to Kami, lit. "Dragon Ball Z: God and God") is the eighteenth Japanese animated feature film based on the Dragon Ball series and the fourteenth to carry the Dragon Ball Z branding, released in theaters on March 30, 2013. It is the first Dragon Ball movie in 17 years to have a theatrical release, the last being the tenth anniversary movie in 1996, which followed the first three Dragon Ball films and the thirteen Dragon Ball Z films. It is the first-ever Japanese film to be screened at IMAX Digital Theaters, and was released on Blu-ray and DVD on September 13, 2013.

Battle of Gods is also considered an official part of the Dragon Ball storyline, being set during the time skip in chapter 517 of the original manga, with original creator Akira Toriyama deeply involved. The plot involves Beerus, the God of Destruction, learning of the defeat of the galactic overlord Frieza at the hands of Son Goku. Seeking an opponent worthy of his power, Beerus, along with his companion Whis, travels to the North Galaxy to challenge Goku to a battle.

This movie is the first important new entry in the series. Yo! Son Goku was more like a teaser. Goku achieves a new transformation, Vegeta gets some character development, and the DBZ-verse is explored in more detail. There's Gods and multiverses that you don't even know about. Well, at least until you see this movie.
We still don't know much about them, that little tidbit is thrown in as a teaser

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

latest

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (銀河パトロール ジャコ), also known as Ginga Patrol Jako, is an eleven-chapter comedy manga by Akira Toriyama. It ties in with his Dragon Ball manga. The events are narrated by Omori, who starts his story ten years before the events of the first Dragon Ball chapter. In Age 739, Jaco was sent to Earth to stop a Saiyan from Planet Vegeta, but he crashes on the island Omori used to work on a Time Machine years ago.

Bulma is revealed to have a sister and Jaco is referenced and/or appears in later series material, making JtGP a concrete part of the Dragon Ball universe.

Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F

DBZ_THE_MOVIE_NO._15.png

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' (Japanese: ドラゴンボールZ 復活の「F」エフ Hepburn: Doragon Bōru Zetto: Fukkatsu no 'Efu') is the nineteenth Japanese animated feature film based on the Dragon Ball series and the fifteenth to carry the Dragon Ball Z branding, released in theaters on April 18, 2015. Resurrection 'F' is the second film personally supervised by series creator Akira Toriyama, following Battle of Gods in 2013. The movie depicts the return of the villain Frieza, as well as the God of Destruction Beerus and Whis from Battle of Gods. Funimation announced that their English language dub of the film will be released in North American theaters in summer 2015.

The catalyst for all of the recent DBZ hype, Revival of F is about Freeza returning to Earth. I know what the first thing you're thinking is - "I thought he was dead", right? Well, his minions revive him with the dragon balls. The second thing you're thinking is "But Freeza is a scrub compared to Cell, or Buu, or even the Androids. How could he possibly be a threat?" Apparently, he was a lazy, spoiled mofo who floated around in his hover chair all day and relied on his natural strength to lord over everyone else. He never trained. He never once had to exert himself before Goku and co. showed up. Hell, look at his ultimate attack - Death Ball is him simply lifting a finger. The metaphor just became literal.

So the story is this - he trains for four months (remember, it took Goku a day to train on his trip to fight Freeza in the Namek arc) and achieves a new transformation. Goku and Vegeta get a new transformation, too. He invades earth, and the Z Fighters have to stop him and his army. And by Z Fighters I mean Roshi, Tenshinhan/Tien, Krillin, Piccolo, Gohan, Goku, and Vegeta. What do you mean, there's characters missing? No, that's everyone. Toriyama always makes sure to give everyone screen time and a fighting chance.

And the real news regarding DBZ's revival, and the reason this thread exists...

Dragon Ball Z Super

Taking place "after Goku defeats Majin Buu", this will be an official TV continuation of the series. Toriyama will be involved. Goku's Japanese voice will be the same. That's basically all we know right now. But we're hyped. Believe it.

Major characters in the series since its revival:

Tarble - A Saiyan character that makes his debut in the 2008 animated feature Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! He is the youngest child of King Vegeta, the estranged, younger brother of Vegeta, and husband to a peculiar alien named Gure. He is mentioned in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, when Goku and his friends learn that they need a sixth Saiyan for the Super Saiyan God transformation, but they do not know how to contact him.

Jaco - Also known as Mask Man, is a Galactic Patrolman and the main protagonist and the title character of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. Not much is known about Jaco's past, except that his was on a patrol to Earth in order to stop the Saiyan warrior Kakarot, later known as Goku, who was on his way to wipe out humanity on Earth. Jaco possesses extremely high intelligence, and his race is shown to use very advanced technology.

Tights - One of the main protagonists in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. She is the daughter of Dr. Brief and Mrs. Brief, and Bulma's older sister. Like the rest of her family, Tights' name is an allusion to an undergarment. Tights is shown to be interested in sci-fi and writing. She is also shown to be insecure due to graduating from a university at age sixteen. Like her younger sister, Tights can sometimes act in a bratty and bossy fashion.

Beerus - Also known as the God of Destruction Beerus (破壊神ビルス), is the main antagonist in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. A powerful, confident, and downright obsessive hothead, he is the God of Destruction within the Seventh Universe and, as such, his occupation is to maintain balance by destroying planets. Beerus is shown to have a very long sleeping period, as thirty nine years was considered a nap and sleeping an extra fifteen years was considered over sleeping.

Beerus is incredibly strong; much moreso than Buu.

Whis - A character in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. He is always with the God of Destruction Beerus and is his attendant. Whis is the one who taught martial arts to the God of Destruction Beerus, and he apparently oversees and trains the successive God of Destruction of the Seventh Universe.

Whis is the strongest character revealed in the series up until this point. Goku and Vegeta train under him in between Battle of Gods and Revival of F.

Major transformations in the series since its revival:

Super Saiyan God

Super Saiyan God (超サイヤ人ゴッド) is a Super Saiyan transformation. It appears in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods and a couple of video games, and it represents the other God in the Japanese title for the film: Dragon Ball Z: God and God (ドラゴンボールZ 神と神), as well as the reason for the plural "Gods" in the English title.

Goku's new transformation. His hair turns red instead of yellow, and he looks thinner and younger rather than buffer and more menacing. It has to do with the purity behind the transformation. Don't let its looks fool you - it's stronger than Super Saiyan 3.

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

Yes, that's the real name. Abbreviation: SSGSS. It's not so much a new transformation as it is a result of going Super Saiyan while in God form. It makes the user's hair blue. Vegeta gets it too!

Golden Freeza

Freeza's new form, and the reason why he's a threat in Revival of F. He uses this colorization to mock the Super Saiyans that killed him. He has been referred to by the fandom as "Golden Amiibo Lookin Freeza", "Deviantart Freeza", or just simply "Freeza".

The hype is strong, my friends.

Tuck

Gonna be honest... I'm struggling to get through Kai.

I'd like to be able to watch this new show, but maybe DBZ just isn't for me. Liked it as a kid. Now... it just hasn't clicked. I'll probably keep watching though. I'm curious to see where they go with DB Super - hopefully it turns out better than GT supposedly did.

EDIT: Shit I'm the first post in this thread, and I made it kind of negative. Bad timing.

Great OP. I'm going through Kai right now. Really like how much faster it is. Currently on the episode when the gang is looking for Cell and Goku just woke up at Roshi's place. Hopefully by the time I'm done, the Buu Saga gets dubbed.

So I just watched Battle of the Gods for the first time tonight after hearing this announcement... and wow it was great. It was legitimately hilarious and it had all of the bad ass moments I want from Dragon Ball Z.

munchie64

Dragon Ball is a never ending franchise now it seems. The future is bright!
So I just watched Battle of the Gods for the first time tonight after hearing this announcement... and wow it was great. It was legitimately hilarious and it had all of the bad ass moments I want from Dragon Ball Z.
Good to hear you liked it!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Completely missed the boat on Battle of Gods. Looks like I need to pick up the blu ray. Will def be watching Resurrection F in theaters though. Also omg DBZ is back!.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hopefully the mini Pilaf gang we saw in Battle of the Gods will make an appearance in the new series.

GszzF6H.png

Piccolo, Gohan, and Gotenks better get some screen time. I bet Funimation is already on that simuldub. Get Faulconer back in the studio too lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
So Goku and Vegeta are gods now? And then they become Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan?

..I'm so lost on this series, haha.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Piccolo, Gohan, and Gotenks better get some screen time. I bet Funimation is already on that simuldub. Get Faulconer back in the studio too lol.
I don't care so much about Gotenks as I do about his two halves. More Goten and Trunks would be nice.

OT is gonna be taken over by Dragon Ball threads (again).
This thread was partially made with the intent to stop that from happening. Time will tell if it works that way or not.

Keby

My hype levels are out of control right now.

It's like a dream come true. BoG was fantastic, and I hear RoF isn't half bad itself.
They way I look at it, Dragonball Chou can't be worse than GT. It just can't. I refuse to believe they would let the quality slip that low.

LX_Theo

Banned
I would have liked if they called this Dragon Ball S instead, just. S

Maybe Funimation will have the good sense to call it Dragon Ball S, Dragon Ball C, or Dragon Ball Chou. I thing everyone can agree Dragon Ball Super would sound... bad... in the west.

Hyper hyped. I never would've imagined that they'd make a brand new Dragonball series this late in the game. Hopefully I can see it as it releases, cable gods willing.

SalvaPot

I am reading through the Big Viz compilations of Dragon Ball Z, and I have to say the pace is much MUCH better than the anime.

Reinforcing my idea that toei ends up ruining everything.

jph139

I'm hoping that Tarble gets to reappear someday - with the new series I guess there's a lot more room for that than in the movies. I just like the idea of a real lame-ass Saiyan that's out there, and everyone knows about him, they just try to ignore him.

orochi91

Still can't believe DBZ is experiencing a revival.

With social media so prominent now, Dragon Ball is here to stay for a very long time.

What a time to be alive :'D

Desmond

After seeing Resurrection of F last week, I'm so hyped for this, even though I wan't too happy with some parts of the movie.

Also, I think Jaco (and his manga) needs a mention in the OP too.

kaiiri

maybe i should rewatch BoGs but didn't goku lose god mode at the end but like.. retained some of the power or something? so this... blue haired thing is still below god mode? or is this literally just the super saiyan version of god mode?

..... or do we not know yet?

Here I was getting through a DBZ high playing all the games and re-reading the manga because Revival of F was coming out.

Just when I was coming down from it they go announce a new series and kick the hype back up to 100%. There's no stopping this ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom