• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Syn23

Finished the game on normal with my Amazon (played 50% of time solo).

Now started trying the Elf. Any advices/good builds?

Syn23

I made a big post about the Elf just a few posts up :p
Ok thanks.

I guess I should level up Elemental Lore right? I'm level 23 or something like that, and I've gotten 4 talismans playing with other 3 AI controlled characters. I have leveled up only bow and arrow skills.

I don't know, for now I'm having less fun then playing with the Amazon.

Since the game is now on sale on EU PSN, i am considering to grab it finally...

Just a question here: If i plan on playing solo 100% of the time, would you guys say it's still worth it?

Maledict

Just a question here: If i plan on playing solo 100% of the time, would you guys say it's still worth it?

I only played solo, am a complete beginner at these type of games, played one of the hardest classes (Wizard) and finished all three main difficulty levels.

Game was an absolute blast and one of the most enjoyable I've played over the last year. Cannot recommend it enough.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

It's better solo, IMO. Well, I had a lot of fun with my boyfriend too, but more than 2 players starts to get less fun, honestly. My solo run was on the Amazon, beat all 3 difficulties and beat the first 9 levels of the Labyrinth of Chaos (e.g. beat the
Demon Lord once
).

So yes, go for it! Funnest game of 2013 for me.

Quixzlizx

This game is just as good single-player, and it's actually better when you're trying to challenge yourself/perfect your technique.

Multi-player has more of the "everyone standing around an arcade cabinet having a blast while trying their best to track the madness on the screen" feel.

good info, tx guys, will buy for sure now :)

So i gather if you wanna complete several difficulties, it's best to stick with one class/character only? It saves your level then even across difficulties?

Giolon

good info, tx guys, will buy for sure now :)

So i gather if you wanna complete several difficulties, it's best to stick with one class/character only? It saves your level then even across difficulties?

You have to beat Normal on a character to access Hard, which you have to beat to unlock Infernal, etc. Just remember you can have several characters on 1 save slot, so just go back to the tavern when you want to make another char. You'll have to progress on each of the difficulties with that character separately, but you can skip the "tutorial" chapters once you've completed them once. You can also share equipment.

Getting back into this game. I hate how I have to start on Normal again. My PS3 died, so I have to play on my little brother's at the moment. I'm playing as the Elf this time and am finding her really fun to use. It looks like she can either be played as a ranged fighter or as a thief/bandit with her dagger upgrades. I really wish you could go online from the jump.

I've also been playing this a bit recently. My wife loves it.

I wish I could easily clear the 99 floor dungeon for a max powered trinket. :-(

On normal? :-/

Nope.

iX5LVMf.jpg

I guess it depends on one's interpretation of "final". If it's infernal ancient dragon, the bastard took quite a few tries for me (that goddamn healing).
Save your +damage stuff for the very end. He was hard with all but my Dwarf.

Well, we are doing a run of floors 59+ in Tower of Chaos in a bit if you want in. You can join if I invite you, right? It is on Infernal.

PSN is Karsticles.

bobawesome

I started playing the game again the other night and finally got around to beating hard and inferno with my Amazon. I think I'll finish up the tower and take a break to focus on Muramasa.

LTTP, but I bought this about a month ago and have been playing it strictly 2P with the gf. The game is really fantastic: beautiful, fun, smooth, full of great art and adventure. We've started going after the talismans, and the cooking between stages is a riot. It's most definitely a worthy successor to Capcom's D&D games, and much more fluid than anything else by Vanillaware I've played.

Vanillaware's love for Disney shows through, but the weird sense of suggestiveness and kink in the game is awfully... strange at times. Like, the mermaid with human buttcheeks, the suggestively-posed nun/cleric, the way the Elf rides beasts, everything about the Sorceress, etc. Kind of hilarious, actually - I usually laugh out loud when I come across that stuff in the game.

I was tuned out around its release and can't be bothered to thread-dive. What kind of reception did it get overall?

LTTP, but I bought this about a month ago and have been playing it strictly 2P with the gf. The game is really fantastic: beautiful, fun, smooth, full of great art and adventure. We've started going after the talismans, and the cooking between stages is a riot. It's most definitely a worthy successor to Capcom's D&D games, and much more fluid than anything else by Vanillaware I've played.

Vanillaware's love for Disney shows through, but the weird sense of suggestiveness and kink in the game is awfully... strange at times. Like, the mermaid with human buttcheeks, the suggestively-posed nun/cleric, the way the Elf rides beasts, everything about the Sorceress, etc. Kind of hilarious, actually - I usually laugh out loud when I come across that stuff in the game.

I was tuned out around its release and can't be bothered to thread-dive. What kind of reception did it get overall?
Reception went like this:
Reviewers that reviewed the game: Nothing but praise and love.
Reviewers that reviewed the Sorceress: Anger and judgment.

Spot

What level should my elf be if I am going for the Legendary Strike trophy (deal over 100,000 damage in one attack)? I am currently level 98 and can barely get 60,000.

What level should my elf be if I am going for the Legendary Strike trophy (deal over 100,000 damage in one attack)? I am currently level 98 and can barely get 60,000.
No clue! My wife got it at level 129 with her Amazon. I know some people pop potions and rely on Berserk and such to get it. It takes some creativity beyond "throw it and go boom".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It also barely mentioned the gameplay at all. At least the written review was like that; I didn't bother watching the video.
That's just completely false. I don't think you read the review at all. Most of the review talks about the gameplay. It mentions the level design and structure, how coop and AI partners work, enemy design, it went into details about the combat, the looting system, how NG+ works, and so on. It dedicates a tiny paragraph to criticize the artistic choices and NPC design, that's it.

I love the game and I disagree with the reviewer's rating and final assessment, but the reactions to the review are completely blown out of proportions. The review is highly informative and well-written, and she explains quite clearly what she liked and didn't like about the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yet she was mentioned, and the game's score was clearly docked as a result of her existence.

Nope, the score docking was due to the abundance of sexualized (and often helpless) female NPCs in the game, not just the sorceress (in fact she even says "at least the sorceress is powerful and has agency"). Read the review again.

Started playing this recently, and I'm really enjoying it so far. About five hours in and I've spent a lot of time replaying levels to complete side missions and get my character level up. Think I'm level 15 so far, with a dwarf and I'm being fairly conservative about appraising items and resurrecting dead adventurers as I don't want to burn through all my cash. Adore the animation and visuals, and I really love its level of depth and overall fairy-tale atmosphere. Such a great game.

Started playing this recently, and I'm really enjoying it so far. About five hours in and I've spent a lot of time replaying levels to complete side missions and get my character level up. Think I'm level 15 so far, with a dwarf and I'm being fairly conservative about appraising items and resurrecting dead adventurers as I don't want to burn through all my cash. Adore the animation and visuals, and I really love its level of depth and overall fairy-tale atmosphere. Such a great game.

It is. Don't worry too much about cash, you can safely appraise everything A or above (and B's with multiple special effects) and you'll still make loads as long as you don't do stuff like resurrecting five times in a dungeon (it's exponentially more expensive). I personally don't like playing with AIs so I bury all bones.

For me the game really starts getting interesting in the higher difficulties, especially Infernal. I have every one of the six characters on Infernal. :)

Just getting the
relics to battle the dragon now; two down and seven
to go. Really loving this overall, and I like the
Killer Rabbit
boss :)

About level 24 now, I haven't met anyone playing online yet so I'm playing sometimes with AIs and sometimes solo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is the online dead? That'd be a pity. However it lagged pretty badly for me whenever I played online, so I haven't ventured online a whole lot. I prefer solo or local coop.

Nope, the score docking was due to the abundance of sexualized (and often helpless) female NPCs in the game, not just the sorceress (in fact she even says "at least the sorceress is powerful and has agency"). Read the review again.
Oh, I know it wasn't JUST the Sorceress. But that doesn't harm my point at all.

Is the online dead? That'd be a pity. However it lagged pretty badly for me whenever I played online, so I haven't ventured online a whole lot. I prefer solo or local coop.
Online is active.

Top Bottom