• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

maouvin

All good tips that I'll have to try, but what do you guys do for boss fights when they just wipe out Skeletons in no time flat?

I really don't know what to say beyond "dodge like a champ", which applies to every character. I don't use thunderhead, so my damage source is my staff, and I save my spellbooks for crowd control.

I abuse air charged spells like an elf abuse charged shots. Like, jump>charged o>d.jump>charged o>dodge>charged o>dodge>charged o>air dash away. On some bosses this chain can't be so long, on others it's better to use ground spells or snowflaking (charged up+circle with ice staff), but being on the air improves survivability and there's the damage bonus from levitation.

You can cast create food for more skeletons mid-fight, too :p

Started a sorcerous class during lunch. I spent the rest of my lunch break dying... A lot.

Oh well. I'm ready for online with some newer players now at least.

All good tips that I'll have to try, but what do you guys do for boss fights when they just wipe out Skeletons in no time flat?
Thunderhead does big damage. Mine hits the thief ally for ~20k. When it zaps for about a full minute, that damage adds up. Remember that eating heals skeletons.

Jathaine

Started a sorcerous class during lunch. I spent the rest of my lunch break dying... A lot.

Oh well. I'm ready for online with some newer players now at least.

I've been mostly playing with NPCs off, after a few stages I've found the Sorc to handle quite well.
I rarely die now, unless I try to solo a couple of the B path bosses on hard mode. I died a few times on the Archdemon and the Wraith (narrowly avoided using a continue on this guy). Most of them weren't too bad.

I haven't messed with Red Dragon solo on hard mode, I don 't feel like that's going to go well so I might open some slots up for NPCs!
Lv57 now and I'm about to give this a shot before bed!

EDIT: Yay! Took him down, that wasn't too bad with NPCs on. I did die once 'cause I wanted to do as much damage as possible in the first room since you're on a timer after that.

EDIT2: Infernal unlocked! (And Conqueror trophy!)

I've been mostly playing with NPCs off, after a few stages I've found the Sorc to handle quite well.
I rarely die now, unless I try to solo a couple of the B path bosses on hard mode. I died a few times on the Archdemon and the Wraith (narrowly avoided using a continue on this guy). Most of them weren't too bad.

I haven't messed with Red Dragon solo on hard mode, I don 't feel like that's going to go well so I might open some slots up for NPCs!
Lv57 now and I'm about to give this a shot before bed!

EDIT: Yay! Took him down, that wasn't too bad with NPCs on. I did die once 'cause I wanted to do as much damage as possible in the first room since you're on a timer after that.

EDIT2: Infernal unlocked! (And Conqueror trophy!)
Once I got home and started to figure things out, I'm having the same experience. Really fun class. I love zipping around with the teleport and projectile spamming from the air.

I'm slowly gaining levels and aimlessly playing with random online parties. I named my Sorc Nicole after the Guardian Heroes character.

Congrats on Infernal. I will finally get there if I can manage to discipline myself and get on with the story.

darkwing

finally I can join in the fun because of PS+, been using the Wizard, which element is the best btw? I guess it would be ice? because it temporarily freezes the enemies?

finally I can join in the fun because of PS+, been using the Wizard, which element is the best btw? I guess it would be ice? because it temporarily freezes the enemies?
All enemies have inherent elemental resistances. As such, the "best" element is situational. Most people run dual staves to cover a wide range of weaknesses while avoiding any resistances. Personally, I don't, but it's common.

maouvin

Any chance of this game getting DLC? Seems like such a missed opportunity for more class or character skins.

Don't think so. They'll probably finish doing the Muramasa DLCs and then move to something new full-force.

Skins are not doable because the characters are hand drawn, so they'd have to redraw them (unless you simply mean "more colors"). For the same reason, new characters would demand quite the effort.

darkwing

All enemies have inherent elemental resistances. As such, the "best" element is situational. Most people run dual staves to cover a wide range of weaknesses while avoiding any resistances. Personally, I don't, but it's common.

there are only 3 elements for the wizard right? Have only found ice, fire, lightning

Deadstar

This game has one of the coolest art styles. The unlockable art you get is breathtaking. I'm having a lot of fun playing through this one. Initially I thought it looked boring but there's some good rpg mechanics keeping me going.

Fireblend

Banned
So, I started playing this a couple of days ago and have some quick questions:

- Is there some way to remove resurrected NPCs from the selectable companion's list at the tabern? I had a couple of lvl 1 NPCs that I would like to remove now.
- Do the NPC's weapons get damaged? Can I repair them or am I supposed to stop partnering up with them if their equipment is too worn out?
- I have only created one character so far, do the characters share their loot? Or, why would I keep looted equipment that my character's class can't equip?

It sucks that I don't have anyone to play multiplayer with, looks like it'd be a blast. Are the NPCs that shitty/inconvenient? I've been carrying a full party through what I've played of the game so far but I might reconsider if the statements at the top of this page are true (plus they sometimes get in the way). Is there anything I'm missing out on like experience or better loot if I enter a dungeon with a party?

I'm playing as an elf and really enjoying it thus far, though Muramasa took less time to really grab me. Hopefully this one will click soon :)

Edit: reading some more of the recent pages and it sounds like I should be solo-ing the dungeons or at least not bringing in a full party all the time. Will play it like that tonight and see if I like that better :)

maouvin

- Is there some way to remove resurrected NPCs from the selectable companion's list at the tabern? I had a couple of lvl 1 NPCs that I would like to remove now.
- Do the NPC's weapons get damaged? Can I repair them or am I supposed to stop partnering up with them if their equipment is too worn out?
- I have only created one character so far, do the characters share their loot? Or, why would I keep looted equipment that my character's class can't equip?

It sucks that I don't have anyone to play multiplayer with, looks like it'd be a blast. Are the NPCs that shitty/inconvenient? I've been carrying a full party through what I've played of the game so far but I might reconsider if the statements at the top of this page are true (plus they sometimes get in the way). Is there anything I'm missing out on like experience or better loot if I enter a dungeon with a party?

1 - go to the tavern and open the list of possible companions. One of the buttons is "part ways", which deletes them from the list.

2 - yes, and they can't be repaired. You can, however, change their equipped bag (if they have more than one) to extend their time with you (I believe you can do so when selecting them on the Tavern - press triangle or something and their bags show up, so you can select another one).

3 - loot is shared if created on the same save slot. To create a new char, go to the tavern > select hero. There'll be an option to create a new one.

The bigger the party, the tougher the enemies get. At the beggining the NPCs might prove useful, but eventually the buff to the mosters will exceed it.
You can disable them from joining at the Tavern > Options (so only other players will join you), or lock the slot on Tavern > Select Allies > press triangle(?) on the slot to turn it off, effectively reducing your max party size (for both AI and players).
When I'm offline I often leave just one slot open to heave another piece of meat to distract the enemies.

SMK

NPC equipment slowly repairs itself when you don't use them. I'm not sure if switching bags will prevent other bags from repairing, but I know for sure that leaving the NPC at the tavern will repair equipment. It was added in a patch somewhere I forgot which.

NPC equipment slowly repairs itself when you don't use them. I'm not sure if switching bags will prevent other bags from repairing, but I know for sure that leaving the NPC at the tavern will repair equipment. It was added in a patch somewhere I forgot which.

Wow, really? I had no clue about that! Has it been mentioned in the patch notes somewhere?

maouvin

Hey, this is news to me. Do they repair even if broken/red, or does it need to still have some durability left?

edit v v v: thanks!

SMK

Wow, really? I had no clue about that! Has it been mentioned in the patch notes somewhere?

I'm not sure which patch it was, probably the latest one.

Hey, this is news to me. Do they repair even if broken/red, or does it need to still have some durability left?

Gear can be broken and still be repaired. It's a pretty slow process though. I'm not 100% if it takes long chain runs into account, or if it's just a set amount after a run.

kagete

Yeah, I will probably order the physical copy. Although that will take some time to arrive, oh well :)

Just wondering if you're in the US as it's free right now on PS+ so paying for a year would get you that plus a few extra games. Sorry if I missed you mentioning otherwise.

mcz117chief

Just wondering if you're in the US as it's free right now on PS+ so paying for a year would get you that plus a few extra games. Sorry if I missed you mentioning otherwise.

Czech Republic, which is in Europe. I have just ordered the game from amazon for about 45$.

mcz117chief

Well, have you done the 99 floors of Labyrinth of Chaos? Or the 10,000 floors of Tower of Mirages & Ultimate Difficulty that they patched in months ago?

=D

Sounds like I made a good decision by buying the game. Is there really so much content in it ? :D

No, there's another difficulty level and an endless dungeon after Infernal.

Well, have you done the 99 floors of Labyrinth of Chaos? Or the 10,000 floors of Tower of Mirages & Ultimate Difficulty that they patched in months ago?

=D

Oh snap, I totally forgot about that tower. Got too used to going to a random stage through the gate. Thanks for the info though, I got more stuff to do then, weeee :B

maouvin

Sounds like I made a good decision by buying the game. Is there really so much content in it ? :D

There is indeed! Also, bosses in Ultimate have new moves, and there are new weapon properties that can only roll on items looted on that difficulty. It feels fresh when you come from the "main" game :)

Oh, and the level cap is raised to 255 too, but loot is still capped at 99 and you won't get more skill points past 99.

Bladenic

Installing now. Been wanting to play since release. I always planned on going with Wizard, so that's what I think I'll do. Him or Sorcerress, not really interested in the Melee classes off the bat.

LakeEarth

Just got to play it last night after dl'ing it. Thanks PS+, this is an awesome game.

How do you guys deal with the craziness? I can't even keep track of my character at times. I picked Amazon, and her parry move is supposed to be one of her most powerful assets, but how am I supposed to parry when I can't see anything? I purposely only chose 2 teammates to tone it down the visuals, but the game auto-added the third teammate, so that was a bust.

Bombless

Just got to play it last night after dl'ing it. Thanks PS+, this is an awesome game.

How do you guys deal with the craziness? I can't even keep track of my character at times. I picked Amazon, and her parry move is supposed to be one of her most powerful assets, but how am I supposed to parry when I can't see anything? I purposely only chose 2 teammates to tone it down the visuals, but the game auto-added the third teammate, so that was a bust.

You can lock the slots off at the tavern if you want. Also as amazon I rarely parry, I prefer to dodge (even if that means losing berserker).

Step

It was the same for me at the beginning but later you'll get used to where to see and where you are without looking that much, It is even funnier as an Elf because she just jumps all over the screen in no time.

I defeated the Ancient dragon within 4 mins alone in my 3rd try~~~ the trick was dying on purpose when he flies off so I can refill my 25 arrows, I was always with -5% left of his life to kill him for the trophy.

AEREC

It's a little better on the PS3 as far as making out the on screen action (had vita version since launch and recently got PS3 version through PS+). I essentially just turned off the AI slots and solo'd the whole game with Amazon and didn't think it felt too cluttered.

maouvin

Because of seeing this thread bumped in the last few days, I've put 20 hours into the game since Friday evening . . .

Good times, aye? I remember I was on vacation when it launched, and played over 40h on the first four days - dungeon chaining online makes the time fly.
Now I'm playing solo, so I can keep my playing sessions short.

Also, do we know what's the benefit of maxing out Shield Tactics instead of keeping it at 100%? I maxed it on my fighter (my first char), and it seems I'm the only player ever who did it.

BadWolf

Nabbed it via PS+ and played a couple of quests before going to work this morning. Beautiful game with classic beat em up gameplay. Couldn't ask for more basically.

Picked Elf and so far so good, feels like I'm playing my Assassin character from Dragon's Dogma. Fast movement and a sweet combination of melee and ranged. Have no idea what to put skill points into though.

Does her evade/roll have any i-frames?

Can't wait to get home and sink a few hours in.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Picked Elf and so far so good, feels like I'm playing my Assassin character from Dragon's Dogma. Fast movement and a sweet combination of melee and ranged. Have no idea what to put skill points into though.

Does her evade/roll have any i-frames?

Can't wait to get home and sink a few hours in.
Yeah it does, you can also chain rolls once you level up the Evasion skill, which I suggest you do asap because the elf is kinda fragile and mobility is key. I also suggest you level up the bow skills (Clone Strikes, Power Shot, Salamander Oil) and ignore the kick/melee abilities, since all the real damage comes from her bow. At least that's how it was the last time I played, but I didn't play ever since the last patch.

BadWolf

Yeah it does, you can also chain rolls once you level up the Evasion skill, which I suggest you do asap because the elf is kinda fragile and mobility is key. I also suggest you level up the bow skills (Clone Strikes, Power Shot, Salamander Oil) and ignore the kick/melee abilities, since all the real damage comes from her bow. At least that's how it was the last time I played, but I didn't play ever since the last patch.

Perfect, thank you :)

Aselith

Do you ever get more wacky or interesting sorts of weapons and bonuses? I really enjoy the game but the stats and bonuses on weapons are fairly staid. like fire swords and stuff like that?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Do you ever get more wacky or interesting sorts of weapons and bonuses? I really enjoy the game but the stats and bonuses on weapons are fairly staid. like fire swords and stuff like that?
How far are you? A-rank and S-rank loot usually have tons of properties, and drop more often later in the game. You do get weapons with stuff like "20% ice damage bonus" and the likes, though I don't recall if you actually see the ice effect in-game. I think you do see it somewhat but it won't paint your sword blue or red or do any grand visual effect, it's subtle.

Aselith

How far are you? A-rank and S-rank loot usually have tons of properties, and drop more often later in the game. You do get weapons with stuff like "20% ice damage bonus" and the likes, though I don't recall if you actually see the ice effect in-game. I think you do see it somewhat but it won't paint your sword blue or red or do any grand visual effect, it's subtle.

I am about 6 or 8 hours in. I'm at the part where you're getting the 8 runes for the Dragon. i've gotten a fair amount of S rank stuff but it's still like damage + to humans etc and I've gotten some stuff with chance for extra damage with lightning kind of stuff.

Top Bottom