• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Hey, lads. I would like to buy Dragon's Crown on the PlayStation 3, what are my best options ? On the PSN it still costs around 60$ so I was thinking about getting a physical copy from amazon, there I can get it for about £24. Any other options ?

You could also wait for a discount: it's been discounted multiple times in the store in the past (less than 24 pounds, I think). And of course, if you had PS+ it's been given there a couple of months back, but I'm assuming that's not the case. :)

mcz117chief

You could also wait for a discount: it's been discounted multiple times in the store in the past (less than 24 pounds, I think). And of course, if you had PS+ it's been given there a couple of months back, but I'm assuming that's not the case. :)

I just recently got PS+ but the only version I saw that was given out for free was for the Vita

Giolon

I thought some of you might be interested in this. MegaHouse's Elf figure is out, and she's spectacular! A lot was made of the support cone for her foot, but in person it's not a big deal. Here are some photos I took of her:

MHElf.jpg
MHElf-2.jpg
MHElf-3.jpg
MHElf-4.jpg
MHElf-5.jpg
MHElf-6.jpg
MHElf-7.jpg
MHElf-8.jpg

I bet this was discussed a lot before, but imo the art style is beautiful and the characters designs are great. I think it was intentionally made to be silly, more like a cartoon approach. The designers probably wanted more to make fun with the character proportions than make them sexually appealing. Of course there is the appeal, but it wasn't their primary intention here imo.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I thought some of you might be interested in this. MegaHouse's Elf figure is out, and she's spectacular! A lot was made of the support cone for her foot, but in person it's not a big deal. Here are some photos I took of her:
Hope mine gets shipped safely.

Along with the Witch and Hundred Knight Metallica figure, if it ever releases.

Quixzlizx

I don't own any figures, but I finally decided to pull the trigger on this one a couple of months ago, but Amiami had already sold out its preorders.

I'm trying to tell myself it was a blessing in disguise to keep myself figure-free.

Giolon

I don't own any figures, but I finally decided to pull the trigger on this one a couple of months ago, but Amiami had already sold out its preorders.

I'm trying to tell myself it was a blessing in disguise to keep myself figure-free.

Guess what's in stock! http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-003848

If you're a gambler, you may wait a few months and see if she ends up being available for a cheaper price, but it IS a gamble.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Itching for a loot-ish game like PSO. Is Dragon's Crown anything like that? Is there special loot (like how PSO had Spread Needle, Chainsawd, Rainbow Slicer, etc) or is it all just random affixes that you hunt for?

Giolon

It says sold out to me. What a tease.

Well, it was in stock last night for a little while. Usually at this point what's happening is figures come back in stock temporarily as people don't pay for their pre-orders.

If you keep checking in on stores like AmiAmi and HobbySearch, you may get lucky.

Itching for a loot-ish game like PSO. Is Dragon's Crown anything like that? Is there special loot (like how PSO had Spread Needle, Chainsawd, Rainbow Slicer, etc) or is it all just random affixes that you hunt for?
There are some special properties that can appear on loot once you get to the Ultimate difficulty level, but it's mostly random affixes that you're looking for. Still, the loot collection side of this game is fairly addicting IMO. You can nearly always find a better piece of equipment - especially since you eventually get the ability to carry up to 8 sets of gear with you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, it was in stock last night for a little while. Usually at this point what's happening is figures come back in stock temporarily as people don't pay for their pre-orders.

If you keep checking in on stores like AmiAmi and HobbySearch, you may get lucky.

There are some special properties that can appear on loot once you get to the Ultimate difficulty level, but it's mostly random affixes that you're looking for. Still, the loot collection side of this game is fairly addicting IMO. You can nearly always find a better piece of equipment - especially since you eventually get the ability to carry up to 8 sets of gear with you.

My only beef with the loot being entirely randomized is that nothing feels special or "worth the hunt". Like, finding a sword with (arbitrarily speaking) +10 Punch Skill and +100 Defense isn't as engaging to me as finding a really swag looking sword that does the same stuff. I guess since weapons don't show up on your character, it's a BIT less of a game changer, but even still. :\

Giolon

My only beef with the loot being entirely randomized is that nothing feels special or "worth the hunt". Like, finding a sword with (arbitrarily speaking) +10 Punch Skill and +100 Defense isn't as engaging to me as finding a really swag looking sword that does the same stuff. I guess since weapons don't show up on your character, it's a BIT less of a game changer, but even still. :\

Weapons do show up on your character. It's the only thing that does (Shields also show up for the Fighter). There are only 5 or 6 weapon styles per character though, and I only know of one unique appearance (
broom
for the Sorceress from the Labyrinth of Chaos).

But yeah, if you're looking for a game w/ super sweet looking unique gear for your character, this isn't it. :( It's still a lot of fun though!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, PS+ = free Dragon's Crown!

I'm really enjoying what I've played so far. I tried Elf out at first, but her play style wasn't what I expected (was looking for more ranged). So I tried out Wizard and like him a LOT more. There's a lot to figure out still, but I think I'm going to stick with him.

Any good resources for building characters? The only skill I've raised so far is the one that allows me to recharge my mana faster.

Also, is there any reason NOT to play with the resurrected heroes? Early on, it's nice to have distractions. Especially since the Wizard's square attack is so crappy...Gives me time to recharge mana on bosses.

Maledict

I played with them at first, but on the advice of others in the thread stopped doing it and found the game easier. Each additional hero increases the bosses HP by quite a bit, and they aren't very effective when AI controlled.

As a wizard, I was happy using Storm / Fireblast / slow as my key spells for most of the game, although near the end I respecced into a build that maxed out extinction + fire ward + blade for the final couple of bosses. Unless you plan on playing it through to the very end, I'd go with whatever spells you enjoy - you can always respec later on.

Only thing I would suggest is that a lot of the non-class specific skills seem to be quite useful with just 1 point in them, but after that aren't worth the effort. Except for Deep Pockets, which is basically essential as a wizard... :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played with them at first, but on the advice of others in the thread stopped doing it and found the game easier. Each additional hero increases the bosses HP by quite a bit, and they aren't very effective when AI controlled.

As a wizard, I was happy using Storm / Fireblast / slow as my key spells for most of the game, although near the end I respecced into a build that maxed out extinction + fire ward + blade for the final couple of bosses. Unless you plan on playing it through to the very end, I'd go with whatever spells you enjoy - you can always respec later on.

Only thing I would suggest is that a lot of the non-class specific skills seem to be quite useful with just 1 point in them, but after that aren't worth the effort. Except for Deep Pockets, which is basically essential as a wizard... :)

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind. I didn't actually realize you could respec later. That's such a huge deal and means I don't have to worry so much about my early build. I'll also check out Deep Pockets.

As for the AI, yeah, I guess I'll stop using them after I've got a few more levels under my belt. Since the Wizard IS so squishy and mana dependent, I'm going to use them a little more until I have a few skill points and some other gear. At that point, I think I'll feel more comfortable getting around as a solo Wiz.

Quixzlizx

Just so you know, the Elf is mostly a ranged attacker, but not in the way you're probably thinking.

DEATH FROM ABOVE.

It helps to unlock a few ranks of Evasion first, though.

Step

Just so you know, the Elf is mostly a ranged attacker, but not in the way you're probably thinking.

DEATH FROM ABOVE.

It helps to unlock a few ranks of Evasion first, though.

So, what about her boots skills, I've been reading it is kinda useless on higher difficulties, so should I really concentrate with her Elemental Lore? and if so any tips, I feel vulnerable whencasting it, even if is that fast.

maouvin

So, what about her boots skills, I've been reading it is kinda useless on higher difficulties, so should I really concentrate with her Elemental Lore? and if so any tips, I feel vulnerable whencasting it, even if is that fast.

You can respec later, so don't feel afraid to experiment. Kicking can get you through infernal, but on ultimate its scale poorly.

Lore is said to be a skill to either max out or never invest into. And there's a little trick: set the shortcut menu to open with L (or maybe it's so by default? Don't remember). Then hold square and tap L - after each tap lore will be cast, and quicker than the normal method (it's not a machine gun tho, check the timing on town).

The trick works with amazon's parry too, btw.

Quixzlizx

I don't know how Deadly Boots was rebalanced in later patches, but I stick to arrow skills + Lore. Kicks are mostly to refill my arrows and to juggle/CC.

And default lore isn't really something to cast when you're surrounded and about to be hit, although the Elf is so nimble it's generally easy to evade out of trouble. The water and fire lore skills are a little more versatile.

I found that Lore's long animation and overlapping works best in setting "traps", particularly for melee enemies. Start casting Lores on top of each other outside of their attack range, then when they close in (and step on them), wait until they wind up their attack animation and dodge away. The multiple hits from the 4-5 stacked Lores pin them down for a bit, racking quite a lot of damage; rinse and repeat.

seabass0

Super excited to start this up. I beat Muramasa Rebirth last month so obviously I was super stoked when they announced Dragon's Crown for August PS+.

After much deliberation, I think I'm gonna start with the Fighter, although I imagine I'll end up rolling the other characters at some point as well.

Step

I just defeated the ancient dragon, man that was a hard fight I was at my last life and no potion just about 1 flame from him to die, that was so fun and did it on my first try, Whee~~ Is it supposed to be a solo fight? because I had to do it without AI or online players.

I saw that I made a huge mistake, I was playing from the beginning with full AI party and them with decent gear, I was just mashing my way through, once I decided to play alone it was a complete different game I had to be careful, comboing them with my boots and getting close wasn't an option, Lore now seems a lot safer, this is just on normal I can't imagine the other difficulties.

bobawesome

I cleared the game a few hours ago on normal with Amazon. It was a pretty fun experience. I think I prefer Muramasa to it, though.

I just defeated the ancient dragon, man that was a hard fight I was at my last life and no potion just about 1 flame from him to die, that was so fun and did it on my first try, Whee~~ Is it supposed to be a solo fight? because I had to do it without AI or online players.

I saw that I made a huge mistake, I was playing from the beginning with full AI party and them with decent gear, I was just mashing my way through, once I decided to play alone it was a complete different game I had to be careful, comboing them with my boots and getting close wasn't an option, Lore now seems a lot safer, this is just on normal I can't imagine the other difficulties.

Everything is soloable, especially on normal, but some classes are much better at it and it's generally easier to just get AI guys as damage sponges. You get a lot less xp that way though iirc, so if you can manage it, soloing is a lot better.

Bombless

Amazon da best. Especially using the japanese VA, the same as GITS's Motoko Kusanagi.

I really should return to this game sometime. I reckon I clocked around 140 hours in it so far.

Grisby

Bought Dungeons and Dragons Chronicles of Mystaria during this weeks Capcom sale. Totally forgot the director of Dragons Crown worked on the game until his name showed up in the credits.

So crazy playing through it and seeing all the similarities and inspiration. I never played d&d when it was in arcades as a kid and I wished I had. Fun times.

Amazon da best. Especially using the japanese VA, the same as GITS's Motoko Kusanagi.

I really should return to this game sometime. I reckon I clocked around 140 hours in it so far.

Amazon was definitely the most fun for me, at first I kinda disliked her cause she's like super slow and stuff so it feels like your typical 2H gameplay and I generally like fast paced characters in those games. But god once you start leveling berzerk and all the various stuff and you stack the bonus high, it becomes soooo good. She's also a beast lategame so that's a plus.

Wish they had made some DLCs are some point, hope there will be a Dragon's Crown 2 or just a new IP is fine too I guess. Kinda wished they ported Muramasa on the PSN for PS3 too at some point, guess I'll either need to buy a Vita eventually or find the game on Wii(and also find my Wii in the basement, it's still in a box from when I moved in).

Everything is soloable, especially on normal, but some classes are much better at it and it's generally easier to just get AI guys as damage sponges. You get a lot less xp that way though iirc, so if you can manage it, soloing is a lot better.

Playing with AI is just setting yourself up for being slaughtered when you reach Ultimate (or even Infernal Ancient Dragon and Demon King) and realize 1) they die in seconds, and 2) you've not learned the game because you were relying on them.

Ugh, I really loved this game back when it came out on the PS3. I was so hyped getting the vita version for free so I could start playing it again away from home. I put in about about on the vita version and I just can't play it. My toon seems lost half the time on the screen and holy poop, so much slow down on vita. =\

JDdelphin

Ugh, I really loved this game back when it came out on the PS3. I was so hyped getting the vita version for free so I could start playing it again away from home. I put in about about on the vita version and I just can't play it. My toon seems lost half the time on the screen and holy poop, so much slow down on vita. =

Huh... I haven't had any sort of issues like that... though I do have a 2000, dunno if that'd make a difference but the game is just great for me so far.

Ugh, I really loved this game back when it came out on the PS3. I was so hyped getting the vita version for free so I could start playing it again away from home. I put in about about on the vita version and I just can't play it. My toon seems lost half the time on the screen and holy poop, so much slow down on vita. =\

Are you playing with companions? Try disabling them.

Zhao_Yun

I need advice from fellow Elf players. Should I leave Clone Strikes at Level 2 or go for Level 3? Is the additional damage worth the extra arrow consumption?

I need advice from fellow Elf players. Should I leave Clone Strikes at Level 2 or go for Level 3? Is the additional damage worth the extra arrow consumption?

I have it maxed not for the upwards charge shot, but the dash shot, which when spammed (dash away and shoot, dodge back towards the boss, repeat as fast as possible) is absolutely obscene DPS, especially with Flame Oil (dash shot activates ground flames, and closer together than upwards shot, at that).

Zhao_Yun

I have it maxed not for the upwards charge shot, but the dash shot, which when spammed (dash away and shoot, dodge back towards the boss, repeat as fast as possible) is absolutely obscene DPS, especially with Flame Oil (dash shot activates ground flames, and closer together than upwards shot, at that).

I must admit that I don't use the dash shot so often. Maybe I should change that.

It is arguably her best ability. Max it.

Yeah, the ability is great but I doubt that maxing the ability is so useful. On max level the 5 arrows are probably spreading quite far and at least one arrow will probably miss (except of the really big bosses) which would be a waste of arrows. I am planning to either leave it at 2 or level it up to 3 at max.

Yeah, the ability is great but I doubt that maxing the ability is so useful. On max level the 5 arrows are probably spreading quite far and at least one arrow will probably miss (except of the really big bosses) which would be a waste of arrows. I am planning to either leave it at 2 or level it up to 3 at max.
It is viciously powerful against bosses. You don't fire the arrows at the boss, you stand directly beneath him/her and fire up into their body. It's especially helpful on the final boss, and I think the Elf was my fastest kill when I went through with each of the characters. The damage is just ridiculous. Being able to take out each Chimera head with 1 shot is very useful.

Quixzlizx

It is viciously powerful against bosses. You don't fire the arrows at the boss, you stand directly beneath him/her and fire up into their body. It's especially helpful on the final boss, and I think the Elf was my fastest kill when I went through with each of the characters. The damage is just ridiculous. Being able to take out each Chimera head with 1 shot is very useful.

I haven't played a whole lot since the latest patch. Is her arrow spawn rate still busted?

I haven't played a whole lot since the latest patch. Is her arrow spawn rate still busted?
No clue! After they added the new dungeon, I decided to 100% focus on my Sorceress when I play since she's my favorite. In terms of enjoyability for me, it goes:
Sorceress
Dwarf
Amazon
Wizard
Fighter
Elf

I love the Sorceress' aesthetics, and I use a lightning staff with her. Personally, I think lightning is the best staff element, but I understand people who run dual staves as well. I don't find fire or ice enjoyable in comparison; I probably wouldn't use the Sorceress if lightning were a third clone element.

Jathaine

I've sent a PM to be added to the player list but aside from that I'm lookin' for people to play with.
I've got a lot of friends on Plus but none seem to be terribly interested in playing much.

I'm playing a Lv. 49 Sorceress in Hard mode at the moment. I haven't touched the Labyrinth yet and probably won't until muuuch later. Just grinding out levels and gathering talismans at the moment.

I have the game on both PS3 and VITA, of course. If anyone is looking for someone to play with that is available to play for a good while... add me!
PSN: HiouZetsuenshou

I've sent a PM to be added to the player list but aside from that I'm lookin' for people to play with.
I've got a lot of friends on Plus but none seem to be terribly interested in playing much.

I'm playing a Lv. 49 Sorceress in Hard mode at the moment. I haven't touched the Labyrinth yet and probably won't until muuuch later. Just grinding out levels and gathering talismans at the moment.

I have the game on both PS3 and VITA, of course. If anyone is looking for someone to play with that is available to play for a good while... add me!
PSN: HiouZetsuenshou

Not touching the labyrinth is a mistake! You're supposed to do the first three levels after beating normal, then the next three after beating hard. Otherwise the start of each next difficulty will be somewhat harsh (unless you grind the previous difficulty level, at 1/4 or 1/5 the exp rate). Plus if you leave the labyrinth for the endgame, the first few levels will be boring (level 30 enemies).

I don't really play at home anymore, just during commutes, and since I don't have a 3G card on my Vita, that means no online multiplayer for me... so I've not been adding anyone.

No clue! After they added the new dungeon, I decided to 100% focus on my Sorceress when I play since she's my favorite. In terms of enjoyability for me, it goes:
Sorceress
Dwarf
Amazon
Wizard
Fighter
Elf

I love the Sorceress' aesthetics, and I use a lightning staff with her. Personally, I think lightning is the best staff element, but I understand people who run dual staves as well. I don't find fire or ice enjoyable in comparison; I probably wouldn't use the Sorceress if lightning were a third clone element.

Weird, your order is pretty much the same as mine, swapping the Elf and the Dwarf. Even though playing enemy bowling is cool, as well as his awesome Circle attack, his somewhat reduced DPS even abusing weapon change and the amount of non-throwable enemies later on bring it down a couple notches for me. The Elf is very unique in her gameplay though, both within the game and regarding beat'em ups in general.

That said, VanillaWare did an amazing job in that all classes are actually enjoyable to play.

Really? Weapon Swap + his special skill brings down anything crazy fast for me. I actually take it back: the Dwarf was my fastest final boss kill. Swapping weapons, all of those invincibility frames...

My wife mained an Elf at first, but then I showed her the power of an Amazon when backed by Sorceress' Protection skill. Pewpewpew!

Giolon

I've just never found a way to make the Sorceress particularly effective or fun. Protection is great, but I find mana and the # of spell casts available just too limiting for the relative lack of damage they do. Lightning Staffs just drain so much mana.

What do you guys do to make Sorceress tolerable?

maouvin

I've just never found a way to make the Sorceress particularly effective or fun. Protection is great, but I find mana and the # of spell casts available just too limiting for the relative lack of damage they do. Lightning Staffs just drain so much mana.

For mana management, there's some LoC monocles (salubrious?) that give you 50% chance to not spend mp; some ToM stuff regen some mp each second; you can invest on the skill that gives mp after each kill; and the seal of the conqueror reduces mp cost by 25% if you cleared LoC's floor 99.

For spellsbooks, there's some chaos (or ToM?) something with chance to not spend when casting, items that recover 1 stock when extending and the EIS rune.

For me, during the stages my skellies buy me enough time to recover mp, and since I don't chain much my bags last at most 2~3 bosses (more with EIS or my recover during extend bag), so I can abuse of my spellbooks to control crowd and recover myself during boss fights.

I should try to boost my Seal on LoC... but it's so boring ~_~

All 9 of my bags have Salubrious Chaos Monacles, which have a 50% chance to make something not cost MP. Then I have max Mental Absorb, so anything I kill gives me 50MP for everything I kill. Max Concentrate and Spirit as well.

Spells:
Gravity
Protection
Thunder Head
Blizzard
Rock Press

Also:
Animate Skeleton

Lightning, despite having the best ranged attack, is best when you get in the face of enemies. I dive in and up+attack, or down+attack if I just want to stun (2 uses of down+attack stuns most enemies). I only use the aerial AoE on bosses or situations where I just need enemies to GTFO me. I mostly use up+attack.

I am not afraid to use my spells. If elites come from both sides of the screen, I pop Petrification immediately. Then I burn one down. I am not afraid to recharge MP when there are 1-2 enemies and my skeletons are abound. I often play like a true support, running around stunning enemies with down+attack while my skeletons do the real damage, though I am capable of doing damage just fine.

I have 512 mana, and I refill it. How? Blizzard and Rock Press. Every enemy killed is +50 mana, so against bosses, I maintain my mana by popping these spells against enemies the bosses summon for a free MP drink. Between Salubrious Chaos Monacle and this strategy, I am almost never out of MP. With 7 Thunderhead castings, I keep it going permanently in every single boss battle, increasing my presence when I do have to recharge MP.

When you can keep her running, she's a lot of fun. However, she really appeals to the sort of person who appreciates a strategic approach. My 5 spells provide a nice back of tricks for various situations, and lightning staff stun provides a strong strategic benefit.

Lightning is definitely more difficult at lower levels; you need to tough it out until she becomes more of a whole character. Somewhere

Giolon

For mana management, there's some LoC monocles (salubrious?) that give you 50% chance to not spend mp; some ToM stuff regen some mp each second; you can invest on the skill that gives mp after each kill; and the seal of the conqueror reduces mp cost by 25% if you cleared LoC's floor 99.

For spellsbooks, there's some chaos (or ToM?) something with chance to not spend when casting, items that recover 1 stock when extending and the EIS rune.

For me, during the stages my skellies buy me enough time to recover mp, and since I don't chain much my bags last at most 2~3 bosses (more with EIS or my recover during extend bag), so I can abuse of my spellbooks to control crowd and recover myself during boss fights.

I should try to boost my Seal on LoC... but it's so boring ~_~

All 9 of my bags have Salubrious Chaos Monacles, which have a 50% chance to make something not cost MP. Then I have max Mental Absorb, so anything I kill gives me 50MP for everything I kill. Max Concentrate and Spirit as well.

Spells:
Gravity
Protection
Thunder Head
Blizzard
Rock Press

Also:
Animate Skeleton

Lightning, despite having the best ranged attack, is best when you get in the face of enemies. I dive in and up+attack, or down+attack if I just want to stun (2 uses of down+attack stuns most enemies). I only use the aerial AoE on bosses or situations where I just need enemies to GTFO me. I mostly use up+attack.

I am not afraid to use my spells. If elites come from both sides of the screen, I pop Petrification immediately. Then I burn one down. I am not afraid to recharge MP when there are 1-2 enemies and my skeletons are abound. I often play like a true support, running around stunning enemies with down+attack while my skeletons do the real damage, though I am capable of doing damage just fine.

I have 512 mana, and I refill it. How? Blizzard and Rock Press. Every enemy killed is +50 mana, so against bosses, I maintain my mana by popping these spells against enemies the bosses summon for a free MP drink. Between Salubrious Chaos Monacle and this strategy, I am almost never out of MP. With 7 Thunderhead castings, I keep it going permanently in every single boss battle, increasing my presence when I do have to recharge MP.

When you can keep her running, she's a lot of fun. However, she really appeals to the sort of person who appreciates a strategic approach. My 5 spells provide a nice back of tricks for various situations, and lightning staff stun provides a strong strategic benefit.

Lightning is definitely more difficult at lower levels; you need to tough it out until she becomes more of a whole character. Somewhere

All good tips that I'll have to try, but what do you guys do for boss fights when they just wipe out Skeletons in no time flat?

Top Bottom