• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

I am about 6 or 8 hours in. I'm at the part where you're getting the 8 runes for the Dragon. i've gotten a fair amount of S rank stuff but it's still like damage + to humans etc and I've gotten some stuff with chance for extra damage with lightning kind of stuff.
The farther in you get, the more interesting stuff you find.

mcz117chief

All right, my copy of Dragon's Crown just arrived, can't wait to get started. If somebody is from Europe or eastern USA, would you be willing to play with me ?
PSN: mcz2345

edit: Holy ****, holy ****, holy **** !!!!!!!!!1!1!1!1!!!1!!!1one!!1! I have not played such a tight and impressive game this century. The graphics are beautiful, the music and sound is just pefect, the characters are varied and interesting, the combat is super tight and extremely precise and mega fun, so much attention to detail so much everything. I have started as an Elf and when she idles squirrels play with her that is so cute :3 This is it ! This is THE GAME that I should have been playing since day 1, I can't believe I was putting it on hold for so long. God, I am such an idiot, please forgive me, I must go to a confession for this atrocious sin I have commited. Guys, if somebody would play with me I would be super delighted. HOT DAMN, this game is SO GOOOD !! YES!!! MORE !!! GIVE ME MOOOOAAAARRRRR !!!

If they will release this or the next game on the PS4 I will definitely be there on day 1, absolutely positively !

I have not felt such a rush of endorphins since I bought my Collector's Edition of Halo 3 !

The art style is just pure bliss, mindblowingly good !

MINDBLOWN AGAIN !! The Canaan Temple is a mix between the Old and the New Town Hall from Prague :D Just look at these: New Town Hall, Old Town Hall.

Another landmark, behind Lucain's tower (or it might actually be the tower itself) is the Great Mosque of Samarra. Also, the Guild Hall looks extremely familiar but I can't put my finger on it :/
(note: 0 sarcasm, just to make sure)

Returned to my 20 hour, 2 and a half playthrough save that I haven't touched since launch.
Ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Framerate is way worse on the vita than I remembered.

Always nice to see someone new enjoying the game! :)

Returned to my 20 hour, 2 and a half playthrough save that I haven't touched since launch.
Ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Framerate is way worse on the vita than I remembered.

turnoffaicompanions.gif

We should actually make a gif about this, I lost count how many times I've adviced the same thing the couple past months. :D

MINDBLOWN AGAIN !! The Canaan Temple is a mix between the Old and the New Town Hall from Prague :D

Yep, it seems to draw inspirations from a lot of classical references, both actual architecture and paintings of mythical edifices. Case in point:
Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Tower_of_Babel_(Rotterdam)_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

3391_o_the_tower_of_babel.jpg

Forgotten_Sanctuary_selection_screen.png

Dragon's+Crown+Screenshots+(45).BMP

I know I should turn off the AI companions to make the framerate better, and the game easier but it feels so lonely without them, lol. How am I supposed to gather the courage to face a necromancer alone?

maouvin

I know I should turn off the AI companions to make the framerate better, and the game easier but it feels so lonely without them, lol. How am I supposed to gather the courage to face a necromancer alone?

To avoid feeling lonely, you can disable just one or two party slots to bring some NPCs (likely fighters, since they aren't flashy), or play online.
If you want no NPCs and have yet to enable online, have a tankard of ale before playing or something :)

BadWolf

So I reached the part where you have to double back (?) through the same levels and multiplayer seems to be available now.

Been playing solo so far with no NPCs and am level 14 with the Elf. Looking through the B route boss levels though it seems that they are quite a bit above my level.

Is it okay to just continuing on solo without grinding or are we supposed to grind or play multiplayer at this point?

So I reached the part where you have to double back (?) through the same levels and multiplayer seems to be available now.

Been playing solo so far with no NPCs and am level 14 with the Elf. Looking through the B route boss levels though it seems that they are quite a bit above my level.

Is it okay to just continuing on solo without grinding or are we supposed to grind or play multiplayer at this point?
Buy all the bags you can at this point. Load them all up with whatever you have. Chain as many stages as possible. You will jump 10-20 levels. Solo play is fine.

mcz117chief

Damn, I am 10 hours into the game and I still haven't unlocked the multiplayer :D Might be because I have spent about 8 hours watching the elf play with squirrels :3

PranooY

Is there a consensus on the best character to play as for a beginner?
I'm thinking about playing as the Dwarf or the Sorceress. and i'm new to this.

Maledict

To be fair, I was a complete newbie to this type of game and haven't played a beat em up in over a decade. Chose the wizard as my first character and played through all 3 difficulties solo, and he's supposed to be the hardest solo character.

I think the game is very good at teaching you how to play well.

Jimrpg

I'm stuck on the ancient dragon (normal :( ) I'm a level 32 Amazon and mainly play solo.

I've gone with AI help and also by myself but can only take about 75% of his health off. Any suggestions? Sometimes his fire attacks are strong enough to one shot me.

maouvin

I'm stuck on the ancient dragon (normal :( ) I'm a level 32 Amazon and mainly play solo.

I've gone with AI help and also by myself but can only take about 75% of his health off. Any suggestions? Sometimes his fire attacks are strong enough to one shot me.

Maybe you already know these, but some general tips:

You can attack his spells while they're still falling, cancelling them.
Hit the little shots he does towards the walls to protect them. You need them up to avoid the breath.
You can actually hit him from the ground, so brandish away!

Holy crap I random threw myself back into this game. Maaaaan is it good. I've got a level 23 Amazon and Elf so far. Thinking about hoping on over to Dwarf.

Just bought the character voice pack, who should be narrating my story? :p

Holy crap I random threw myself back into this game. Maaaaan is it good. I've got a level 23 Amazon and Elf so far. Thinking about hoping on over to Dwarf.

Just bought the character voice pack, who should be narrating my story? :p

I'm partial to the elf's narration voice, even though I don't like it when playing AS her, so I set that to Japanese. Go figure.
Also, I recommend you try the Sorceress next, casters are the most different to you other two characters and she has more fun spells than the Wizard.

I'm partial to the elf's narration voice, even though I don't like it when playing AS her, so I set that to Japanese. Go figure.
Also, I recommend you try the Sorceress next, casters are the most different to you other two characters and she has more fun spells than the Wizard.

I typically don't play as damage casters, but I'd love to check her out since she's more "support" or so I've been told.

Does anyone use all the extra bag slots? I haven't accumulated enough stuff to warrant it yet lol. What are some common setups?

Quixzlizx

I typically don't play as damage casters, but I'd love to check her out since she's more "support" or so I've been told.

Does anyone use all the extra bag slots? I haven't accumulated enough stuff to warrant it yet lol. What are some common setups?

You want to use all 9 slots for when you chain levels. I generally have a few multi-purpose bags, then one anti-undead bag, one anti-human bag, one anti-demon bag, one anti-dragon bag, etc. It really helps against bosses.

You want to use all 9 slots for when you chain levels. I generally have a few multi-purpose bags, then one anti-undead bag, one anti-human bag, one anti-demon bag, one anti-dragon bag, etc. It really helps against bosses.

Ahh okay, I started a few bags, and just have such a shortage of gear lol. Chaining levels makes more sense for the bags.

Oh, and probably a stupid question, but some of my A.I. companions broke all their gear >_> is there any way to repair their stuff? Or just send them to the scrap heap?

I'm an elf but I went in with three Npc Fighter allies all with 4 or 5 with Tempest.

Suited up with as much + and - Damage Draconic gear as I could. You'll learn the attacks so I prioritized + gear to out-damage the Ancient Dragon's self-heal phase.

The fighters can take out adds, but you picking up and emptying enemy crossbows before enemies can get them can help a lot.

And finally when the ancient dragon flies way back and fires those small green orbs, those can be attacked and knocked back at the dragon.

I've only started playing after getting the game through NA PS+ and I'm thoroughly addicted. My elf is already climbing LoC and ToM >:D

Quixzlizx

Ahh okay, I started a few bags, and just have such a shortage of gear lol. Chaining levels makes more sense for the bags.

Oh, and probably a stupid question, but some of my A.I. companions broke all their gear >_> is there any way to repair their stuff? Or just send them to the scrap heap?

You can't repair their equipment, but you can switch their bags if they have multiple ones.

If the npc gear is fully broken, then no.

But if the gear isn't red (fully broken), then you can leave the npc in the inn and go off to adventure in the dungeons. When you return from fighting in the dungeons for a while and check in on the resting npcs in the inn, you'll see their gear has slowly begun to repair to full while they were resting :)

If the npc gear is fully broken, then no.

But if the gear isn't red (fully broken), then you can leave the npc in the inn and go off to adventure in the dungeons. When you return from fighting in the dungeons for a while and check in on the resting npcs in the inn, you'll see their gear has slowly begun to repair to full while they were resting :)

Good to know actually :p I only kept the few best of the best npcs for a while, and I definitely reaped the repercussions for it lol completely busted equipment LOL, I'm going to start keeping a wider range of NPC's

Good to know actually :p I only kept the few best of the best npcs for a while, and I definitely reaped the repercussions for it lol completely busted equipment LOL, I'm going to start keeping a wider range of NPC's

Another npc tip that I found out a long while after I started playing. If you set the three npc slots to "join in" at the inn, if they die in the field another npc from your list of allies will drop in to help fight in mid dungeon eventually. Sometimes they'll join in right away and other times it will take a while; as much as 5 - 10 mins it seems.

It really helps if you are not on a speed run for a higher score. If you're feeling unsure of your odds in the upcoming boss battle and your npcs have no life points remaining, just let them die. Walk them on traps or environmental hazards if need be. Take a bathroom or snack break and come back to a fresh group of npc allies with more life points. Save your money to ressurect the new npcs during boss battles.

The only downside is the drop ins appear to be random. So if you really want a specific party setup for the boss, you'll need to rez them early.

Another npc tip that I found out a long while after I started playing. If you set the three npc slots to "join in" at the inn, if they die in the field another npc from your list of allies will drop in to help fight in mid dungeon eventually. Sometimes they'll join in right away and other times it will take a while; as much as 5 - 10 mins it seems.

It really helps if you are not on a speed run for a higher score. If you're feeling unsure of your odds in the upcoming boss battle and your npcs have no life points remaining, just let them die. Walk them on traps or environmental hazards if need be. Take a bathroom or snack break and come back to a fresh group of npc allies with more life points. Save your money to ressurect the new npcs during boss battles.

The only downside is the drop ins appear to be random. So if you really want a specific party setup for the boss, you'll need to rez them early.

Just for the sake of keeping the gameplay crazy, I leave it on random lol. I love having a unique party setup on different playthroughs. Probably helps that I'm not on the higher difficulties yet lol

Quixzlizx

On higher difficulties, you're probably better off soloing. That sounds counter-intuitive, but once you have a few levels in evasion, you can avoid almost all damage if you're good enough. Having more party members also increases enemies' HP.

On higher difficulties, you're probably better off soloing. That sounds counter-intuitive, but once you have a few levels in evasion, you can avoid almost all damage if you're good enough. Having more party members also increases enemies' HP.

Hoooly crap, that's awesome actually lol. I might still kick it up that one notch, and allow maybe 1 party member or so in, just to keep the pace fresh, but man that's good to know.

Bombless

On the narration topic, the english sorceress is indeed the best. I lost my shit at her hermit voiceover haha.

I also wish we had access to the japanese narrators, not just the character voices : the Amazon is voiced by Atsuko Tanaka aka Motoko Kusanagi, one of my favourite voices in anime.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
On the narration topic, the english sorceress is indeed the best. I lost my shit at her hermit voiceover haha.
Glad I wasn't the only one! Yes, she's very talented. The elf is decent too, but I prefer the English accent of the sorceress.

I also wish we had access to the japanese narrators, not just the character voices : the Amazon is voiced by Atsuko Tanaka aka Motoko Kusanagi, one of my favourite voices in anime.
Kakate kinasai!

(I'm sure I spelled that wrong. But I like when she says that for some reason, it sounds cool. I think it means "they're coming!"?)

Quixzlizx

I want the Japanese Elf narration.

Jimrpg

Maybe you already know these, but some general tips:

You can attack his spells while they're still falling, cancelling them.
Hit the little shots he does towards the walls to protect them. You need them up to avoid the breath.
You can actually hit him from the ground, so brandish away!

Spells? you mean when he heals himself? That was especially annoying last night when I got him down to one slither of health and he healed himself and then killed off my allies. Gah...

Yep I've been hitting some... I can't get them all because the Amazon still feels surprisingly slow. I use the jump attack to move around because its so much quicker.

I was trying to hit him from the ground but wasn't sure if I was connecting. I'll try again tonight!

Getting extra slot in my bag for more healing potions helped me a lot but I'd die anyway when the walls on either end come down and all my AI allies die.

I'm an elf but I went in with three Npc Fighter allies all with 4 or 5 with Tempest.

Suited up with as much + and - Damage Draconic gear as I could. You'll learn the attacks so I prioritized + gear to out-damage the Ancient Dragon's self-heal phase.

The fighters can take out adds, but you picking up and emptying enemy crossbows before enemies can get them can help a lot.

And finally when the ancient dragon flies way back and fires those small green orbs, those can be attacked and knocked back at the dragon.

I've only started playing after getting the game through NA PS+ and I'm thoroughly addicted. My elf is already climbing LoC and ToM >:D

Thanks. I'll look out for -Damage Draconic gear, though I don't know how much of it I have.

This is probably the best game on vita and glad they gave it away on PS+. (just wish they gave it out a lot earlier)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
For the Amazon solo on Infernal, I stacked my best anti-draconic gear (including a piece that boosts health gains from potions by like 40%), equipped the 30 potions (with that boost each healed quite a bit), used as many buffing potions as I could (you gotta time them because your buff will expire when he flies away), I used that war paint buff and mashed brandish when he was close. Both War Paint and Brandish were maxed out.

And by spells I think he means those annoying fireballs. It's been a while since I played but he did this spell where three fireballs appeared and slowly descended until they exploded furiously, and the stacks of explosions covered most of the screen and were really hard to dodge even with many i-frames from Evasion. But, if you manage to attack and destroy one of the fire orbs before it explodes, it's much more manageable. If you have that skill that can make you spam the air attack (I forgot the name...Revolution something?) it's helpful for that.

Also, if you have parry, use that against the skeletons. They are so annoying. I also had an axe that petrified them, IIRC, and a charm that made me immune to freeze, so that was useful to freeze them in place while I can wail on the dragon. I remember swearing a lot every time the skeletons's freeze attack stunned me, so I equipped a weaker talisman that had this skill and it paid off.

Quixzlizx

For any newer Elf players out there, a good way to speed up the fight against the Ancient Dragon is to just let him kill you when you run out of arrows. I don't think I've ever let him survive long enough to use his heal.

Although again, this is when soloing. Having AI friends during this fight isn't the greatest idea, since I don't think they can't deal with a constantly flying enemy with weird attack patterns very well, and they make the dragon tankier. I guess if you absolutely can't deal with the skeleton adds on higher difficulties.

maouvin

Spells? you mean when he heals himself? That was especially annoying last night when I got him down to one slither of health and he healed himself and then killed off my allies. Gah...)

And by spells I think he means those annoying fireballs. It's been a while since I played but he did this spell where three fireballs appeared and slowly descended until they exploded furiously, and the stacks of explosions covered most of the screen and were really hard to dodge even with many i-frames from Evasion. But, if you manage to attack and destroy one of the fire orbs before it explodes, it's much more manageable. If you have that skill that can make you spam the air attack (I forgot the name...Revolution something?) it's helpful for that. .

Yup! You can destroy the fireballs. But I don't remember if you destroy the other spell (that turns into tornados or something).

And Deadly Revolution is indeed great against the dragon - use it for hitting the wall-destroying shots and his fireballs.

Andrew.

Banned
So I too am jumping back onto the DC bandwagon again. It will be arriving this week and I havent played it since its release. I never beat it, so Im going to just delete my save file and start all over again to get reacclimated.

Question though about beating the game with different characters: If I go through on Normal with a Fighter and unlock his art, how does it work with beating the game as a different character on the same save file to unlock their art stuff? Is there a prompt or option after you beat the game the first time to switch to different lvl 1 character? Like will my lvl 35 or whatever Fighter still be available but Ill have the option to go through the game as someone else?

Quixzlizx

So I too am jumping back onto the DC bandwagon again. It will be arriving this week and I havent played it since its release. I never beat it, so Im going to just delete my save file and start all over again to get reacclimated.

Question though about beating the game with different characters: If I go through on Normal with a Fighter and unlock his art, how does it work with beating the game as a different character on the same save file to unlock their art stuff? Is there a prompt or option after you beat the game the first time to switch to different lvl 1 character? Like will my lvl 35 or whatever Fighter still be available but Ill have the option to go through the game as someone else?

All of your characters share a save file. Although I believe now, as long as you've beaten the game with at least one character, all characters you create after that start with the A routes beaten, so you don't have to get each new character to multiplayer manually.

maouvin

You can change characters at the Inn. "Select Player" or something. You create new characters on that option too.

Andrew.

Banned
OK thanks guys. Weird its been a little over a year and Im super eager to jump back in again. Replaying Muramasa totally reignited my need to try this for good this time around.

The last time I played I went about as a Fighter, but Im really curious to try out the Elf. I love my ranged attackers. I just hope she'snot as difficult to use as I've been reading. Any guidance or adive on using her would be most appreciated!

Quixzlizx

OK thanks guys. Weird its been a little over a year and Im super eager to jump back in again. Replaying Muramasa totally reignited my need to try this for good this time around.

The last time I played I went about as a Fighter, but Im really curious to try out the Elf. I love my ranged attackers. I just hope she'snot as difficult to use as I've been reading. Any guidance or adive on using her would be most appreciated!

-I don't remember the exact skill names, but your main damage dealer is going to be the Power Shot + Impact Arrow + Clone Shot combo. You should level these skills up whenever a new tier in one is unlocked, although you may not want to max out Clone Shot if you feel like you're running out of arrows too quickly against bosses.

-The horizontal across the screen Power Shot is your least effective arrow attack, since the arrow never hits the ground and Impact Arrow never procs. That doesn't mean you should never use it, but you shouldn't rely on that as your primary attack. Clone shot should usually be reserved for bosses since it obliterates your arrow reserves. This leaves the in the air downward Power Shot as the Elf's most efficient attack against trash mobs. It only fires one arrow, and you get the added Impact Arrow damage from it piercing enemies and hitting the ground. Since it pierces, you can hit an entire group of clustered mobs with one Power Shot this way. You can also use evade-cancels to fire multiple shots before having to return to the ground. This is also the Elf's most defensive attack, since you can keep out of the range of a lot of enemies by staying airborne. There's also a way to move-cancel and attack-cancel so you can fire multiple airborne shots without using evades, but it's been a little while since I've played and I don't remember the particulars. You'll also want Salamander Oil and the Toxic skill for added massive damage against bosses.

-As an Elf, you are basically a master ninja with evades. You'll quickly notice that, unlike with some other classes, the Elf's evade has no momentum, so you don't have to worry about finishing the evade animation before cancelling out of it.

-I use Elemental Lore as my secondary attack rather than Dagger + Backstab, especially since two of my inventory slots are taken up by Salamander Oil and Toxic Arrow.

-Kicks should mainly be used for arrow generation, positioning, and crowd control, rather than damage.

-The slide attack is an insta-kill against the crummy little enemies like scorpions and snakes, which are also small and annoying to hit with regular attacks.

-Against some bosses, it's quicker to just die to refill your quiver rather than try to kick arrows out of them. This is an especially useful tactic against the Ancient Dragon, since all that matters is whether you beat him before you run out of lives. It's not like dungeon chaining where you'll want to stock up on lives.

Andrew.

Banned
Wow. Thanks so much for explaining all of that. Im re-reading through the thread too which is helping.

One final question thats a bit random, but when it comes to getting the trophies for beating the game with each character, is it something that can be done once I finish those initial nine Path A stages? Like, once I beat the Ancient Dragon on Normal, can I just start a different character (which starts at lvl 15?) and cruise through those first nine stages again to nab the trophs?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wow. Thanks so much for explaining all of that. Im re-reading through the thread too which is helping.

One final question thats a bit random, but when it comes to getting the trophies for beating the game with each character, is it something that can be done once I finish those initial nine Path A stages? Like, once I beat the Ancient Dragon on Normal, can I just start a different character (which starts at lvl 15?) and cruise through those first nine stages again to nab the trophs?
Yup. And definitely wait until you've beaten the game and maybe even progressed a little through Hard. Having even a single higher level NPC ally makes things quite a bit easier on your other playthroughs.

I found having two higher level meat shields to be handy when getting the Ancient Dragon time limit trophies.

Jimrpg

And by spells I think he means those annoying fireballs. It's been a while since I played but he did this spell where three fireballs appeared and slowly descended until they exploded furiously, and the stacks of explosions covered most of the screen and were really hard to dodge even with many i-frames from Evasion. But, if you manage to attack and destroy one of the fire orbs before it explodes, it's much more manageable. If you have that skill that can make you spam the air attack (I forgot the name...Revolution something?) it's helpful for that.

Also, if you have parry, use that against the skeletons. They are so annoying. I also had an axe that petrified them, IIRC, and a charm that made me immune to freeze, so that was useful to freeze them in place while I can wail on the dragon. I remember swearing a lot every time the skeletons's freeze attack stunned me, so I equipped a weaker talisman that had this skill and it paid off.

I didn't know that. that's super cool. For those three fireballs that appeared and descended slowly I jumped on the platform and tried to time my jump so I would miss getting hit. It didn't work everytime.

I just jumped kicked all over the place to kill the skeletons and then used what time I had when the dragon was further away to hack away at them. The blue skeleton is the most annoying but he gets taken out in about 10 hits.

Also finished it on normal finally. Took me about 10 goes though. I found it easier with 4 AI, and I was able to get his health down by about 2/3rds the first time around. Then he started killing my AI characters and it got a lot harder. I had about 7 healing potions and 5 increased 'strength' potions and used them all to kill him.

Will mess around a bit now on and off, I want to get to the Labyrinth of Chaos and do the 99 levels thing, but I don't know if I have 30 hours to get through the other two difficulties. Got such a backlog! (Muramasa for one!)

Anyhow, this game is so good.

Andrew.

Banned
Yup. And definitely wait until you've beaten the game and maybe even progressed a little through Hard. Having even a single higher level NPC ally makes things quite a bit easier on your other playthroughs.

I found having two higher level meat shields to be handy when getting the Ancient Dragon time limit trophies.

OK awesome thank you!

Should be arriving tomorrow. HYPE.

Andrew.

Banned
Ok so I really dig all the new options, but why when I select "hide all" for player markers, that stupid arrow is still above my head? Granted I haven't even left the town yet so maybe it disappears when I leave, but man that crap is annoying. There is seriously still no way to get rid of that thing?

Rollin an Elf named Lucy. She controls awesomely.

Top Bottom