• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Destructoid 9.5
Dragon's Crown is quite literally a crowning achievement in the beat 'em up genre. Utilizing some of the best design concepts of the past 20 years, Vanillaware succeeds in creating a captivating world that you just can't help but experience over and over. While it may not win over the hardiest of brawler haters, if you've even had an inkling of joy hacking and slashing at any time in your gaming career, you should probably be playing Dragon's Crown.

VentureBeat 90
Say what you want about the stylistic choices that went into art, but Dragon’s Crown’s appeal is greater than its looks. Smashing baddies, exploring dungeons, and scrounging for as much money and items as you can find is a satisfying departure from many strategy-heavy games coming out these days. Dragon’s Crown is a nostalgic return to classic side-scrolling brawlers found in arcades in the early ’90s, complete with flashing “go” arrows and food that falls out of villains and chests.

I know the art is a problem for many, and I would be lying if I said it didn’t bother me. Understanding the influences, both artistic and thematic, helps me appreciate Dragon’s Crown even though I don’t want to see undulating breasts every five seconds. I can look beyond them and lose myself in the mechanics and combat. Hopefully, you’ll give it a chance.

Kotaku Yes
I played Dragon's Crown on both the PlayStation 3 and the PS Vita, thanks to the ability to upload and download save games to and from both systems. While the Vita suffers from noticeable slowdown during busy battles, the convenience of being able to advance my game no matter how long I was in the restroom is worth some stutter. If you're serious about playing, getting both wouldn't be a bad idea. It's honestly the most action my Vita's seen since Persona 4 Golden came out.

When I look at Dragon's Crown now, I see a worthy successor to the games that first brought arcade action into the realm of role-playing. I see countless hours filled with chaotic dungeon-crawling, overcoming repetition through an endless parade of like-minded adventurers. I see a beautiful game that's definitely worth exploring further. And yes, I see the exaggerated characters, but I don't mind them so much. If you do, best move along.

RPGFan 8.8 (Vita) 8.5 (PS3)
I could not have dreamed of a game like Dragon's Crown in my younger years, mostly because it could not have existed on anything but modern hardware. It's a little odd that the game hides its best features under an inconspicuous, slow-paced introductory period, but everything beyond the first few hours is excellent. It's the kind of game that I will be bringing to parties for quite some time — when I'm not up all night playing online, that is. Level 99, here I come.

IGN 8.5
Dragon’s Crown is about to put Vanillaware on the map. Whether on PlayStation 3 or PS Vita, it’s an enjoyable and deep old-school romp with an incredible amount of charm and an even higher amount of replay value. The experience is virtually identical on PS3 and Vita, but if you absolutely, positively only want to buy one, I’d go for the PlayStation 3 version, as its chaotic action is more readable and better appreciated on the big screen.

Joystiq 4.5
Dragon's Crown might be Vanillaware's best game to date. While it scales back the complexity that defined Princess Crown and Odin Sphere, its focus on deep, varied fighting mechanics make it one of the best beat-em-ups released for any platform in recent years.

The repeated content in the game's latter half could be a concern, but Dragon's Crown's online mode encourages players to adopt new strategies to suit their party's strengths as new classes drop in and out. This helps to keep things fresh and interesting – as do additional unlockable difficulty levels – even after your twentieth trek through the Ancient Temple Ruins. The promise of new and powerful loot after every battle is similarly enticing, and if you're committed to leveling up all six playable classes, you'll be playing Dragon's Crown for a long time to come.

Hardcore Gamer 4
As a side-scrolling brawler, Dragon’s Crown is deep and loaded with replay. As an example of 2D art in gaming, it’s unequalled. The characters, enemy monsters, bosses, level art, and everything else that goes into the look of the game is unmatched in detail and design. True, it only equals and doesn’t beat the smoothness of the animation in Aladdin or Earthworm Jim, but neither of those two had the high resolution and associated detail to deal with. Once the impact of the art settles in, however, what’s left is a fast, responsive, and highly playable action-fest that’s great fun both in single and multiplayer. It’s a fantastic tribute to classic arcade gaming, loaded with secrets to unravel and enemies to pummel into a fine paste. It’s always a good day for beating on monsters, and that’s never looked better than in Dragon’s Crown.

Gameinformer 8
It’s clear that Vanillaware has a fervent love for the roots of the role-playing genre. Nods to old tabletop gaming abound, up to and including a dungeon master-like narrator who carries you through the story. Even so, Dragon’s Crown needn’t be a niche title; its accessible combat and rewarding upgrades are great fun for any action fan. In particular, if you have fond memories of days spent gathered in dim arcades with friends, wasting enemies and quarters in equal measure, then this is a surefire hit. Dragon’s Crown is proof that the cooperative brawler isn’t dead.

Gamer Horizon 8
Sure, it might not be a perfect game, but the fact that it’s able to deliver a fantastic same couch experience, augmented with seamless online integration that’s both fun and breaks the monotony of the rest of the game, keeps making me come back to the game. What Dragon’s Crown amounts to, ultimately, is a showcase of Vanillaware’s passion to bring back the beat-em-up genre and to remind us that the king of beat-em-ups is back.

Co-Optimus 3.5 (co-op) 4.5 (overall)
There’s a lot more I could say about Dragon's Crown, but I’ll have to stop here. Gameplay-wise, I had a blast with the combat and enjoyed the hand-drawn art. Some questionable design choices (especially regarding online co-op) as well as a massive repetitiveness factor bog the game down a bit, however. From a co-op standpoint, Dragon's Crown will probably be the most fun for people who have some reliable (and tolerant) co-op buddies, be they local or online. Just be prepared to deal with some quirks.

The Escapist 3
If the game's questionable portrayal of women and lackluster storyline aren't enough to put you off, though, there's still plenty left to enjoy about it. Wrapped in its hauntingly pretty watercolor design, Dragon's Crown has all the delightful face smashing one might expect from a brawler plus the added incentive of character development and randomized loot. The repetitive nature of the genre is even slightly mitigated by a random level generator at the game's end, a tool that'll give you at least some reason to keep coming back for more. Dragon's Crown is gorgeous, and though at times its flavor may be of questionable taste, ultimately it does still manage to strike a lot of the right nostalgia chords.

Polygon 6.5
Dragon's Crown makes a strong first impression. It's a fun mix of RPG tropes and dynamic brawler action. But I found its over-exaggerated art style alienating and gross in its depiction of women even as it shines in building a world of fantastic monsters and environments, and the forced grind through the same stages dulled my excitement. Dragon's Crown is a wild place to visit, but it doesn't quite hold up in the light of day.

Technology Tell A
VGBR 9.5 (Portuguese review)
Playstation Universe 9
Paste Magazine 8
RPGamer 4
Digital Spy 4
StickSkills 7.5
MTV.com N/A (favourable review)
STFU & Play N/A (favourable review)

Check out some of the reviews as there's a lot of varied pros and cons, but overall it seems quite appealing to lots of different types of gamers.

Polygon had their chance to push for a more modest vanillaware artstlye when Grand Knights History was in localization limbo - but did they? Of course not, they claim they "weren't around then." Whatever, reap what you sow

Abriael

Banned
Wow. I can't believe the lack of professionalism from those sites that radically lowered the score because of the art style that they find morally questionable.

That's an insult to journalistic integrity no matter how you look at it.

Political agenda and moralization crusades should not be mixed with video game reviews.

Roubjon

I expected it to be pretty decent but it sounds like it will be even better than that. This should be great.

I won't get too upset with the Polygon article because people have varying opinions about the art style and what-not. Saying the game has "juvenile influences" is a little frustrating though, when it's pretty clear there is more to it than just boobs.

Revven

I wonder what a Anita review would be like for this game...

Judging by Polygon's review, I'd say it'd be pretty close to it!

Wow. I can't believe the lack of professionalism from those sites that radically lowered the score because of the art style that they find morally questionable.

That's an insult to journalistic integrity no matter how you look at it.

Political agenda and moralization crusades should not be mixed with video game reviews.

what did you expect from people that review video games?
the industry's growth really depends on these people, and if these people are stooping to this level over art form, so be it.

but they have no right to whine about how the game industry being treated like shit

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
B-b-but...bewbs

At the end of the day, no matter what the game quality is, boobs is whats going to sell this game to the mainstream. Between hormones and journalists complaining, it's honestly one of the most brilliant marketing schemes I've ever seen.

The game definitely won me over after a while. It takes a little while to get going, and the controls take some getting used to, but after a few hours I was having a blast. My review should be up soon.

I highly recommend playing some couch or online co-op, it makes the game feel much less grindy.

reson8or

So glad I realized at their beginning that Polygon did not reflect my tastes in gaming. Has saved me from giving a shit about anything their reviewers post.

Aw fuck I just realized I'm not going to be home to play this next week. Oh well my copy will just have to wait for me.

By the way thanks to Jason Schreirer for bringing this game to my attention.

Necrovex

A little surprised at Dragon Crown's high marks. I'll be giving this one a rent next week. Not sure if I'll rent it for the Vita or PS3 at this point. I best decide by the weekend.

It seems likely that it will take an average player somewhere between five and seven hours to get online for their first character. Also, keep in mind that every subsequent character created in the Player 1 slot will have to do the same quest line and clear the same areas to unlock online co-op.

What the hell? that seems pretty dumb.

Dinjooh

Polygon:

Dragon's Crown's serious liberties with female anatomy are distracting. Two player characters — the Amazon and the Sorceress — are explicitly sexualized, with breasts literally bigger than their heads with rear ends to match

No issue with the depiction of men in that game then? - which is just as sexualized and stereotypical as it can get.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Also re: Polygon's score, via Volcynika's post in the OT:

Apparently Atlus' PR guy even commented on Polygon's review:
w2kzvT1.jpg

Those scores are looking good so far. I'll give some of these reviews a look later on, but no matter what they say I'm still getting the game. My Vita has been craving a new Vita game to play.

Victrix

*beard*
Childish shit. The art is stylized and ridiculous period, both the men and the women. Or is the nude dwarf somehow less offensive than the nude amazon?

I (genuinely) appreciate the heightened sensitivity to issues with rampant misogyny in gaming, but harpooning Dragon's Crown's art style is not the way to do it.

My post about the polygon review from the OT:

As much as the conversation about women's representation and games is very much worth having, targeting Dragon's Crown is so...flawed. It's a game of exaggerated proportions all round, and is a core part of the artstyle. There's really nothing bad you can say about how it represents women outside of the fact that they have a huge bust or butt. The women are as powerful as the men, there's an equal amount of female characters as there are men, they aren't limited to any lesser role. It's flawed and takes attention away from looking at real issues that do exist in games today.

Outside of that, I'm surprised at how high most of the scores are. Great news!

JDSN

Banned
Hey, maybe Polygon will update the score when they release the burka DLC pack.

Or is that courtesy only extended to EA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom