• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown Thread of Import Impressions and Elf

Espada

Yep, I'm currently playing as the Fighter, and he specifically has a block when you hold down the attack button. There is also a skill you can purchase which lets you press the attack button immediately after blocking an attack to parry.

In some videos I've seen the Fighter dizzy enemies that hit him while he has some shields (they're transparent) up. Do you have that skill? It looked pretty damn useful.

Reposting because it was one of the last posts in the previous page. :)

To those that have got the game early, I'd like to ask a question. Is there any option to remove number popups (you know, numbers popping out showing damage done, etc. JRPG style)? I find them spammy, distracting, and unnecesary.

In some videos I've seen the Fighter dizzy enemies that hit him while he has some shields (they're transparent) up. Do you have that skill? It looked pretty damn useful.

I'm not seeing that in the skills menu, though it might just be an added effect to some of the shield skills at a higher level, since almost every skill can be leveled up multiple times.

Still have yet to play it on the PS3 (that comes tonight) but the Vita version so far is pretty great. There is certainly a bit of slowdown when too much is happening on screen. Also, and this might just be a pet peeve of mine, but even after playing Muramasa on the Vita, I've noticed that I'm not too big of a fan of the tiny analog sticks, as it makes me pull off moves I didn't intend to. For instance, while moving, holding the Square button will make you run, and then pressing down will make your character slide. I'm having the problem that the slightest movement of the analog stick, which is really easy given its tiny size, makes me slide when I just wanted to keep running. Anyway, wouldn't call that a dealbreaker at all, as the game is phenomenal so far, but it is a slight annoyance.

Reposting because it was one of the last posts in the previous page. :)

To those that have got the game early, I'd like to ask a question. Is there any option to remove number popups (you know, numbers popping out showing damage done, etc. JRPG style)? I find them spammy, distracting, and unnecesary.

Yep, in the options menu you have the ability to hide or show Damage values, HP Gauge and Subtitles. There is even a space for Narrator, which right now can't be changed from default. I'm guessing DLC?
0mOn3at.jpg

Espada

I'm not seeing that in the skills menu, though it might just be an added effect to some of the shield skills at a higher level, since almost every skill can be leveled up multiple times.

Oh snap, this I did not know.

Yep, in the options menu you have the ability to hide or show Damage values, HP Gauge and Subtitles. There is even a space for Narrator, which right now can't be changed from default. I'm guessing DLC?
0mOn3at.jpg

Yeah, for the first month all the other narrators are free, IIRC. Being able to remove all that visual stuff is great, in other games we rarely have the option of doing so. Have you tried turning it off and seeing if you get better framerates on the Vita version?

Oh snap, this I did not know.

Yeah, for the first month all the other narrators are free, IIRC. Being able to remove all that visual stuff is great, in other games we rarely have the option of doing so. Have you tried turning it off and seeing if you get better framerates on the Vita version?

I'll give it a go and see. I took pics of the Skills upgrade screens (Main class and Common) not sure if that's cool to post here or not. But if it's cool, I'll post them

Espada

Well, technically it's Basiscape. I'm sure he's composing some pieces for the game, but you have to keep in mind that their setup allows other composers from the company to compose pieces for a project they've taken on. We'd have to wait until the soundtrack comes out before we know which tracks he composed.

devotedgmr17 said:
I'll give it a go and see. I took pics of the Skills upgrade screens (Main class and Common) not sure if that's cool to post here or not. But if it's cool, I'll post them
You mean the screen with those cards? They've already shown that aspect of the game off in some screenshots and trailers.

Caerith

Well, technically it's Basiscape. I'm sure he's composing some pieces for the game, but you have to keep in mind that their setup allows other composers from the company to compose pieces for a project they've taken on. We'd have to wait until the soundtrack comes out before we know which tracks he composed.
The official website lists Hitoshi Sakimoto, but Basiscape is still good even if he's not doing everything.

RMI

Banned
It's in the comments section, where the article writer is answering questions.

ah, thanks.

crap. Well I was all set on the Vita for that OLED, and also because I rarely turn on my PS3 these days. This is kind of a bummer, but I think I'll stick with it.

Caerith

with this being an 'rpg', will there be insanely awesome high level skills?
There's a trophy for doing 100k damage in a single hit, so probably.

We've only seen that skills exist, but not what they are. I wouldn't mind seeing more info on what the class and common skills entail and how they'll change how we play.

Lucent

Found this on 4chan just a minute ago. Guess it's a wiki. Could be useful. lol

EDIT: It's Japanese. But my browser translates it.

EDIT 2: After further reading, there's not too much useful for me. lol

HT UK

Anyone else from the UK importing this? Not sure whether to or not, as it'll mean the DLC probably won't work. Online should be fine if there's no online pass?

For some reason I absolutely love the animation screen of resurecting the fallen warriors. All these little cherubs come out, and it's just cool looking. I had no idea before playing the game that AI characters could travel with you. That was a surprise. :D

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Am loving the game most def. Went with the Amazon. Pretty cool character, but blocking is most def your friend or else HP goes fast lol

Awesome stuff with all the little extra secrets for those who take the time to poke around or notice things on the map. Similar to capcoms D&D games. Very cool vanillaware paid attention to all the things that made that game great and tossed it into Dragons Crown, along with their own original features.

Man poor capcom as their D&D game might get overshadowed by this cept for the hardcore fans. Got my LE version on the way next month though! Better start searching for 1 yen coins around the apartment to pay for it lol

Sats

Banned
I guessing if I were to go for the game now in the JPSN, it would be in Japanese text, so it might be difficult to play? I should just wait I guess.

Also, and this might just be a pet peeve of mine, but even after playing Muramasa on the Vita, I've noticed that I'm not too big of a fan of the tiny analog sticks, as it makes me pull off moves I didn't intend to. For instance, while moving, holding the Square button will make you run, and then pressing down will make your character slide. I'm having the problem that the slightest movement of the analog stick, which is really easy given its tiny size, makes me slide when I just wanted to keep running. Anyway, wouldn't call that a dealbreaker at all, as the game is phenomenal so far, but it is a slight annoyance.

Mmmm, perhaps switching the D-pad and analog controls might help? It's supposedly an option at least on the PS3 version, and I can imagine it helping immensely with imprecision such as that.

Yep, in the options menu you have the ability to hide or show Damage values, HP Gauge and Subtitles.

Awesome, AWESOME news. Thanks a lot. :)
One thing, switching off the gauge removes the bosses' HP bars? Cool, you can turn it into Monster Hunter. :D

Has anyone found any video / impressions about the art book? Searched YouTube but no luck. I'm thinking I'm going PS3 and going to pick up PSV on the cheap down the road. Gameplay looks awesome, and 1080p @ 60fps is yummy!

That IGN video of the characters bugs me because he talks about Luck affecting loot so much, so here it is:

LUCK DOES NOT AFFECT LOOT. ONLY CRITICAL HITS AND CRITICAL DEFENSE.

Whew.

Parakeetman

The little fairy Tiki is just too cute

dragon's+crown+2+thief+and+farie.jpg

Must get more loot. OCD gamers nightmare right here lol

Caerith

That IGN video of the characters bugs me because he talks about Luck affecting loot so much, so here it is:

Whew.
Are the stat descriptions listed somewhere? Like, what the other ones do as well?

chrono01

Whew.
Thank you!

I was tempted to play as the Wizard prior, but when I heard that his horrible luck would basically make it extremely difficult to earn loot, I sided with the Fighter instead. Now, after hearing this, I might go with the Wizard again!

...Or I'll stay with the Fighter. Both look incredibly fun.

Whew.

Can you or someone else post the base stats for each class? That should help people who became a bit nervous about a class they were thinking of after the IGN video.

chrono01

I'm going with Fighter and Wizard.
Excellent choices. Great minds and all that.

I think I'll go with both, as well. Their variation of combat abilities will likely be different enough to want to try each, and it will stretch the amount of time I spend with this game even more [this can be a negative considering my massive backlog >_<].

Espada

Excellent choices. Great minds and all that.

I think I'll go with both, as well. Their variation of combat abilities will likely be different enough to want to try each, and it will stretch the amount of time I spend with this game even more [this can be a negative considering my massive backlog >_<].

Haha, yeah if this game hooks me bad my backlog is going to grow to monstrous proportions. Swinging back and forth from Fighter and Wizard is going to be a nice and refreshing. I'm still trying to decide on a third, and Elf is looking like that choice.

JokerAceX

ooh man august 6/7th can't get here fast enough honestly have to say i'm more hype for this than GTAV, Watchdogs, and Arkham Origins lol

ooh man august 6/7th can't get here fast enough honestly have to say i'm more hype for this than GTAV, Watchdogs, and Arkham Origins lol

I hear you loud and clear. This is one of those "dream games" for me. Arcade style brawler with RPG trappings and sprite work. 8D

Parakeetman

Some DLC has already been announced in Japan in the form of purchasable game master voices, if I remember correctly.

I approve of purchasable game master voices. Its too bad that the original one wasnt Wakamoto that would have been hilarious.

Still playing as the Amazon, don't give a damn if she has low HP, I'm sure I'll be able to handle it if she's faster.

While she can dish out insane damage, she does get beaten up pretty bad if you dont pay attention to whats going on. Great character though and am enjoying playing through as her so far.

Caerith

Some DLC has already been announced in Japan in the form of purchasable game master voices, if I remember correctly.

The voice pack will be available in NA too. Free for first month, $1.99 thereafter, lets you replace the narrator with the player character's. Unlockable through normal gameplay, so more of a DLC for the impatient.

Top Bottom