• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is the biggest game launch of the year so far in the UK, narrowly ahead of Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

Kataploom

Gold Member
I got first one on Steam recently but don't want to play it right now, it looks too outdated for the realistic art direction they went with, so thinking on getting 2 instead it doesn't have to do with previous story. It looks amazing.

MrTired

Impressive I think, considering what we think FF7 Rebirth sold. Considering DD2 will probably have better legs than FF7 because it's not a JRPG then yeah congratulations Capcom.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
EX7annK.jpg

Skifi28

Underperformed, yeah. Does this thread prove otherwise to you?
Underperformed compared to what? If the biggest UK launch (that is also multiplatform) sold "narrowly ahead" of a game that released on a single platform, that seems like good news for said game to me.

Last edited:

Kacho

Underperformed compared to what? If the biggest UK launch (that is also multiplatform) sold "narrowly ahead" of a game that released on a single platform, that seems like good news for said game to me.
Compared to FF7 Remake and Final Fantasy 16. These discussions are more nuanced than “it’s number 2 in the UK!”

Kacho

A direct sequel selling less than the first game (in Japan) is hardly a nuanced discussion.
We have actual numbers for Japan so that’s the best market to discuss. However it appears to be underperforming in all markets. Mat Pascal didn’t even want to elaborate on it because FF fans take it personally. He left it at, it didn’t do as well as FF Remake. Still waiting for the PR from Square Enix on how much it sold globally. We might be waiting until their next investor call.

Hudo

Surprised it's only narrowly ahead of rebirth considering it was multiplat. Really impressive for rebirth being on one platform.
Really? I am actually surprised it managed to get so high in the charts in the first place considering that the first DD is a niche cult hit. Beating out a FF title is pretty impressive.

Skifi28

We have actual numbers for Japan so that’s the best market to discuss. However it appears to be underperforming in all markets. Mat Pascal didn’t even want to elaborate on it because FF fans take it personally. He left it at, it didn’t do as well as FF Remake. Still waiting for the PR from Square Enix on how much it sold globally. We might be waiting until their next investor call.
Indeed, official numbers would be the best thing. Unfortunately, we can only discuss what we're given, thus making this thread quite interesting in regards to Rebirth sales even though it doesn't mention specific numbers.

ssringo

I'm not convinced being multi-platform would've made that much of a difference. I imagine most gamers who are interested in the game know what the deal is, already have a PS5 and bought it there. Especially with how well received it was. Being available elsewhere would've just shifted the sale from PS5 to PC or (lulz) XBox. That's in addition to whatever affect being a sequel has.

To be clear, it obviously would've sold more being available to more people. I just don't think it would be substantially more for this particular game given the circumstances.

Three

Really? I am actually surprised it managed to get so high in the charts in the first place considering that the first DD is a niche cult hit. Beating out a FF title is pretty impressive.
Niche cult hit? Not even including 2 it had sold more than 8.1M units.

Last edited:

jm89

Maybe on releases it wasn't appreciated but it did very well sale wise and dd2 was hyped to the moon.

I dont buy the excuse of "niche cult hit".

Hudo

Maybe on releases it wasn't appreciated but it did very well sale wise and dd2 was hyped to the moon.

I dont buy the excuse of "niche cult hit".
That excuse is not for sale. I might put it later on Ebay, so I can afford all the DD2 DLC.

DavidGzz

I recall most people saying it wouldn't sell well. I was one of the few saying with ER and Monster Hunter crowds, it would do great.

Lambogenie

Everyone praising VII I think misses DD is still more surprising despite multiformat. The first game only sold after several ports. I don't think it was ever a big game on release on PS3/360. But correct me if I'm wrong. This seems very good for DD2.

I'll even go out on a limb and even the sales later are probably because of Steams deep sales but fewer even booting it.

So ya, to me this is surprisingly good news.

IAmRei

Impressive I think, considering what we think FF7 Rebirth sold. Considering DD2 will probably have better legs than FF7 because it's not a JRPG then yeah congratulations Capcom.
Its a JRPG if we take RPG from japan side term. Its not looking like usual JRPG outside, however. but still have japanese taste of video game, which is still the best for me.

FeralEcho

My Game of the Generation ❤️ I've had more memorable moments just being in the open world in this game than entire missions in cinematic games. I absolutely love the world they built,the sense of scale is sublime.

Well deserved Capcom and Itsuno.Congratz!

Now bring on that Bitterblack Isle v2.

Top Bottom