• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Releases on Steam with $40 worth of microtransactions .Currently with 'Mostly Negative' Reviews on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
GJPn_beXwAAFfTG

this-is-insane-to-me-v0-r6a5wklprspc1.png

E4PpXCd.jpg

GJPd0AFWoAAjj6B

The game does not allow you to start a new game:

GJPpSdiWoAAovY5

Last edited:

Paltheos

Capcom's been on fire for a while but unfortunately so has their scummy microtransaction policy. Street Fighter 6's prices for character outfits (and colors!) are also quite high, although thankfully we're long past the pay-to-win SFxT days. The only content that impacts gameplay that you have to pay for are new characters, which are reasonably priced imo.

The DD2 DLC looks to be on the scummier side. Hopefully it's not full-Ubisoft.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No, but you can
But how does that even make sense lol? I just searched a bit and apparently you need those Rift Crystals to fast travel and these are rare but, you can pay for them.

So fast travel requires a rare, very limited resource that can be purchased?

Last edited:
Wait you have to pay to fast travel?
Obtainable in game. But still sucks.

Devil May Cry 4 & 5 have the same type of MTX with Red Orbs. This has been a thing forever in Itsuno games.
Red orbs never really bothered me as they can be farmed easily and indefinitely.

In Dark Arisen, there are only 5 portcrystals you can find in the first playthrough, if DD2 is the same then the extra DLC item does offer an advantage.

Wait, so the devs said that fast travel was purposefully left out because they wanted people to experience the world. Then they go and sell fast travel. WTF?!? Makes me want to refund.

I think what they said was the game does not need horse for traverse as it is "fun" to travel by foot. The fast travel mechanic are always there.

Last edited:

Kacho

In Dark Arisen, there are only 5 portcrystals you can find in the first playthrough, if DD2 is the same then the extra DLC item does offer an advantage.
Will that slight advantage truly matter in the end or is it just low hanging fruit at launch? We’ll see.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking at the mtx price for buying crystals, it's cheaper to inch your way buying packs of 500 crystals than buying 1500 or 2500 bigger packs.

MiguelItUp

As much as this sucks, it isn't new for them. Hopefully this gets some kind of attention to let them know how people feel, but at the same time I don't think it will matter at all. Probably not gonna change.

tommycronin

Banned
Wait, so the devs said that fast travel was purposefully left out because they wanted people to experience the world. Then they go and sell fast travel. WTF?!? Makes me want to refund.
I was about to say this too. Creating an issue and supplying a solution is beyond scummy. If I recall correctly these stones are things you can put down at certain points to be able to fast Travel too at any time in the game. So I'd like to know can you only buy 1 of these or an unlimited amount because that would completely go against the arguments they've made about fast travel.

Not defending this shitty practice in a single player game, but this has been a thing in some of their recent games, especially Itsuno games, for a while now.

I'm afraid they're not going away at all, despite any kind of pushback or negative feedback.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Save scummers on suicide watch.
Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

Play the game and stop overthinking everything. You can change your build throughout the game, reviews mentioned it. Seems like its required at times based on what Dreamcast guy said.

These microtransactions are par for the course with Capcom they even have all kinds of random items for RE. Been this way for nearly a decade, if not longer.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

An option to pay for fast travel? Revolutionary, the creativity, Capcom has done it again, they cant miss.

Its not that big of a deal, but adding mtx after the reviews and not being able to start a new game is.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Save scummers on suicide watch.
Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

Play the game and stop overthinking everything. You can change your build throughout the game, reviews mentioned it. Seems like its required at times based on what Dreamcast guy said.

These microtransactions are par for the course with Capcom they even have all kinds of random items for RE. Been this way for nearly a decade, if not longer.
In a review they have said that they have level capped after like 15hrs so I think is pretty easy

Liljagare

You can find the fast travel stones within 2 hours of starting the game, and, turn off cloud saves/delete save, to restart.

The latter is a workaround, and it will probably get patched.

You can buy "Art of Metamorphosis" item for ingame currency "Rift Crystals at the Rift Shop in Vernworth. They are very easy to get, just rent out your pawn or loot around.

Love the game so far! :)

Last edited:

nikolino840

An option to pay for fast travel? Revolutionary, the creativity, Capcom has done it again, they cant miss.

Its not that big of a deal, but adding mtx after the reviews and not being able to start a new game is.
You can start a new game but delete the character

I have wondered in recent months whether gamers would be ok with cosmetic MTX's in big AAA developed games if it meant we would get more of them? I would much rather that than pay higher prices or have games be smaller in scope. Seems like a fair trade off

In this case, reviewers all played the same game without these MTX's. Just ignore them, it is not hard

Top Bottom