• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

Golnei

With how creepy some modders can be, I expect a bunch of nude mods for the most part.

That's so mundane as to almost not be worth mentioning. If modding does get relatively far for this game, I'm interested to see what kind of community it attracts. Going by past precedent, kigurumi masks, bestiality, poorly-rigged, unlit My Little Pony/Steven Universe model imports and turning every NPC into Lightning are only the beginning.

I'm super excited for how buttery-smooth this will hopefully run on PC; the resolution and framerate were huge joykills on the PS3 version.

And is it me, or did DD have some of the best armor designs/customization of any fantasy or RPG series?

I'm really not sure if my laptop will be up for the task.

I hope we filthy console-peasants will get to experience DD in 60 fps as well.

I know it's not likely, but I'd love Capcom to bring this to PS4 shortly after the PC version launches. And even better, if they enabled PC mods to be transferable to consoles that would be amazing.

But like I say, even though Capcom is leaning heavily on remasters this gen I'm not really expecting that.

With how people hyped up the combat in this I expect nothing less than the second coming.

The combat in this game is amazing. After Demon's Souls I never thought I could enjoy real time combat in an action RPG again, but Dragon's Dogma smashed my expectations and now I feel like after the Soulsborne games and DD I can't enjoy any other action RPGs like The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher. It's the other end of the spectrum from the Souls games; it's fast and flashy and you can jump on enemies and slash them. It's as if someone injected the fun and speed and pace into a typical open world action RPG.

Atwa

Banned
Standards are so low for the genre barring Soulsborne. Just play The Witcher 3 for a few hours beforehand to feel the difference for real.

The Witcher is a silly comparison, as that is a narrative driven game. Dragon's Dogma on the other hand doesn't have a narrative.

Ratrat

The Witcher is a silly comparison, as that is a narrative driven game. Dragon's Dogma on the other hand doesn't have a narrative.
I'm by no means saying one is a better game than the other. Just the basic movement and controls have a striking difference. Combat ain't half bad either.

A) Dragon's Dogma does have a narrative; don't be hyperbolic. B) What difference does it make if The Witcher is a narrative-driven game but has crap combat? Does the presence of one excuse the lack of the other?

jediyoshi

A) Dragon's Dogma does have a narrative; don't be hyperbolic. B) What difference does it make if The Witcher is a narrative-driven game but has crap combat? Does the presence of one excuse the lack of the other?

Oh god, Dark Souls is even further on the other end of the combat mechanics spectrum, is it even worse. How deep does this rabbit hole go

MilkBeard

This game will benefit so much being on PC. I am seriously jelly right now.
Dragon's Dogma had such good, addictive combat and exploration. Great game. Having mods as well is like a dream.

novablue

Banned
PC, can you stop eating everyone's food on the table please? I can't handle this, next people are going to tell me Yakuza will be appearing on Steam or Xbox PC.

UrbanRats

I know it's not likely, but I'd love Capcom to bring this to PS4 shortly after the PC version launches. And even better, if they enabled PC mods to be transferable to consoles that would be amazing.

But like I say, even though Capcom is leaning heavily on remasters this gen I'm not really expecting that.

How is it not likely? They ported MTFramework games to the ps4 before, and they are already putting in the work to upres the game, getting it from PC to PS4 would probably take just weeks.

Arminsc

PC, can you stop eating everyone's food on the table please? I can't handle this, next people are going to tell me Yakuza will be appearing on Steam or Xbox PC.

And why is that a bad thing? More people will be able to play the game and it will probably look better.

The combat is just well done in general, as is the game design. There's a section where you have to fight an overpowered enemy. You CAN beat him in a straight up fight, but if that's too difficult, goading him towards the ledge can work as well.

The grapple function isn't just for climbing, even though that has its own metagame. You can hold enemies down, toss them over ledges, throw them towards your pawns, or use it as a means to stun on enemies your size.

Elements and weaknesses matter, unlike in other RPGs. Knowing how to strike and what to strike with allows you to take on things that might be above your level, like a certain flying asshole you might meet earlier than expected if you go too far.

The game is just well made in general. It has a few balance issues, like raiders being overpowered for whatever reason at the beginning, but it's great across the board. The expansion takes everything to a whole new platform, too.

I can't wait to hop in this title again.

You won't see Yakuza on the Xbox One. But the PC, however, now that could be possible.

How is it not likely? They ported MTFramework games to the ps4 before, and they are already putting in the work to upres the game, getting it from PC to PS4 would probably take just weeks.

I just assumed that we would already know about it by now if it was happening - probably announced alongside the PC version.

With how people hyped up the combat in this I expect nothing less than the second coming.

Depending on class it feels like an entirely separate game. Magic users have a very quick, but weak weapon in the staff, but very powerful spells which take some time to use. Using a two-handed sword is just as slow and powerful as you'd expect, while striders are these blazing fast dual dagger wielding badasses, sword and shield types are midrange on speed and attack. My favorite class was the Magick Archer. Spells and bow and arrows.

At some points it feels like Monster Hunter, others it feels like DMC.

I loved it. It's not perfect, but it has some of the best combat in my RPG history.

Still playing the PS3 version and going through BBI! Almost level 100, but the curse weapons are eluding me (not even a lvl 2).

As I said before, will buy and play again. At the time it came out, the Demon Souls (on which I was entraced) community didn't want to give this game the deserved credit, and I went with them. Stupid mistake that I remedying now!

Still playing the PS3 version and going through BBI! Almost level 100, but the curse weapons are eluding me (not even a lvl 2).

As I said before, will buy and play again. At the time it came out, the Demon Souls (on which I was entraced) community didn't want to give this game the deserved credit, and I went with them. Stupid mistake that I remedying now!

I never finished Bitterblack Isle. Amazing game and terrific expansion, but man the spike in difficulty was extreme and despite being able to handle pretty much everything in the main game the bosses in BBI were extreme! I got the Platinum and never returned to it.

Koobion

Oh god, Dark Souls is even further on the other end of the combat mechanics spectrum, is it even worse. How deep does this rabbit hole go

Sounds like you haven't actually played Dark Souls or The Witcher then. These are ridiculous comparisons. Why can't people make relevant comparisons to inform people on how a game plays/looks/etc without ignorantly shitting on something?

I didn't remember this was coming out so soon!I have this on PS3, but a double dip is in order. It's looking great how much excitement there is behind this. I truly hope this is super successful, opening doors for future projects - and PC versions of those projects.

I never finished Bitterblack Isle. Amazing game and terrific expansion, but man the spike in difficulty was extreme and despite being able to handle pretty much everything in the main game the bosses in BBI were extreme! I got the Platinum and never returned to it.

Yeah I felt the same way and to tell you the truth a little bit lost when I went there for the first few days. I considered doing the same as you did. The competitionist in me didn't let me though.

I still can't kill Death or for that matter, the last boss of BBI. It is very weapon dependent as the dmg model used is based on thresholds! So as soon as you get a better weapon you are able to move one step further. But fuck me those steps take a long time to take.

Kyoufu

It's hard to compare Dogma's combat to anything else in the open world RPG genre. Nothing else actually comes close.

Dogma is another one of those games that carries the Capcom DNA in its gameplay mechanics. You've got elements of Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry etc.

Just don't expect it to rival TW3 in the narrative department. That's not what this game is really about.

garath

I forgot about this. Why did someone bump this thread? Now I have to go back to impatiently waiting for January.

I put about 20 hours into the ps3 version before it threatened to melt my ps3. Plus I started it when I was sick and bedridden. Not the best way to continue the game. I'll buy this immediately on pc and play again.

Top Bottom