• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

razorman

I played some way through the original DD but did not finish the game. If I am understanding the OP correctly I could just import my save into Dark Arisen and carry on where I left off? I don't need a cleared game save? Is that correct?

Kyoufu

I played some way through the original DD but did not finish the game. If I am understanding the OP correctly I could just import my save into Dark Arisen and carry on where I left off? I don't need a cleared game save? Is that correct?

Yes, exactly.

ironcreed

Banned
DD has the best magic spells in videogaming.

maelstroms4ena.gif

Never gets old.

Been playing this all weekend on PS3. God, I love getting lost in this game. Especially at night. So god damned tense and scary. Even with the lamp you can barely see in front of you. Surround sound (or even headphones) are fantastic at night. You can hear sounds coming fro all around you but you have no idea what exactly is out there.

Didn't play this enough on my 360 last year because the tearing really bothered me but the frame rate on the PS3 hasn't been that bad. It still chugs when there is a lot going on onscreen (magic/large monsters) but for the most part it has been acceptable.

AJ_Wings

I remember all the framerate drops occurred when you were out in the open or there are just a lot of shit going on screen. Other than that, it was fine for me for the most part. I would still appreciate a late PC port Capcom...

Also Death looks and sounds sooo freakin' badass.

The game was fantastic for me on PS3. The framerate never dipped to anything like Blight Town levels. I'll be fine.

It never drops to anything consistently horrible. It levels itself out pretty evenly to a framerate that could be much better, though. This game would be so perfect if it was 60fps.

Kyoufu

It never drops to anything consistently horrible. It levels itself out pretty evenly to a framerate that could be much better, though. This game would be so perfect if it was 60fps.

You're never going to get that on current gen consoles. :(

That being said, I don't really care about low framerate. I've been used to it since the Saturn days.

Hasn't bothered me one bit yet in Dark Arisen. I played the 360 version last year and discovered that the tearing is a bigger problem than the framerate for me.

If I have a choice I'll pick screen-tearing over framerate since I play games in 720p and it makes it tolerable. Ah well. Hopefully the framerate isn't as bad as I think.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Considering the difference in Stat growth between the classes, should I plan ahead of time which classes to use during the 3 tiers of growth to be able to take on every and any monster in the game, or does a rotation spread out give me enough of every stat for the end-game?
Some classes don't give (much) points in some areas at certain times so I'm worried to spend too much time on those at the wrong moment and have a deficiency somewhere.

At which point in the story/game can someone get to level 100? (beginning of the 3rd growth tier)

Can you still gain Discipline while being a class, and use that to upgrade some other class, or is it bound the one you're currently using?

You can plan ahead if you want, but to be honest the game is easy enough that going in with a mind towards min-maxing is kind of pointless. There's really no way to screw yourself over in terms of stats. Full-on munchkining requires that you intentionally suppress your levels in the early game so that you've got access to class changes at exactly level 10, which is possible but annoying, then it requires you to stick to a single class for 190 levels which is more annoying, or to return to Gran Soren every time you're on the threshold of a new level so you can class change, level up, then switch back. That's more annoying still.

Min-maxing your pawn is a lot easier, since you can throw them off a cliff when they hit level 10 and then revive them only when you're able to class change, and there's no risk of getting bored with their moveset since you're not controlling them directly.

Level 100 is basically only going to happen in the post-game and NG+. The most efficient grinding methods are only possible in the post-game anyhow so grinding before then is a bit of a waste.

Discipline isn't bound to a class. Switch to a new class and all of it will carry over.

I'm confused by the class leveling system and its not from a lack of trying comprehend it.

It's pretty much the same as the system employed in, say, Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre. When you level up you gain stats based on your class. These stats persist across all class changes. If you go from level 1 to 200 as a Fighter then switch to a Mage you will be a rather bad Mage and vice-versa.

In practice there's really no need to plan your leveling. There's nothing the game can throw at you that you can't handle with a character whose class you've changed whenever the mood took you. The only people who really need to concern themselves with fancy-pants builds are those who want to do as much damage as possible to the optional uber-boss in the shortest possible time, and for those people there is literally one ideal build.

Best to not worry about it, really. Though I realize the incongruity of my basically saying "Eh, there's no point giving a shit about the leveling system" while essentially writing a multi-paragraph explication of that very topic. Oh well.

I doubt this game did anything for the heirarchy, but maybe it did. To me it just seemed like it was: Assassin > Sorcerer > Magick Knight > Mystic Archer > Ranger > Strider > Fighter > Mage > Warrior in terms of player usefulness (Fighter/Mage for pawns). I hated the fact that the Warrior felt so much like a Monster Hunter Great Sword or Demon's Souls Dragonbone Smasher character in a game that's much too fast for it.

Warriors more than any other class need to master their core skills to remain viable. I've found their jumping attack to be especially swift. They make up for their slowness by how damned unstoppable they are. I agree that the 3 skills are extremely limiting, though.

You're never going to get that on current gen consoles. :(

That being said, I don't really care about low framerate. I've been used to it since the Saturn days.

Well IMO it is only one of the few things holding this game back. It is extremely enjoyable regardless, but 60fps would make it even more visually marvelous.

This is one instance where I demand a PC port.

Grisby

Guys I'm planning on defs getting DA... what's a good starting class that will carry Mr thru the game. I like mid range / magic stuff.
Strider/Archer is what I used the entire game and it was awesome. Fast knife action when your close and awesome bow abilities when your not.
maelstroms4ena.gif

Never gets old.
I'm just starting to level a mage and even casting a simple lightning bolt spell looks cool.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't know a thing about this game. Not even what classes there are. Oh em gee. I hope there's a class I've never seen before in another game otherwise I might have to go sumtin boring.

Well IMO it is only one of the few things holding this game back. It is extremely enjoyable regardless, but 60fps would make it even more visually marvelous.

This is one instance where I demand a PC port.
don't worry, i'll be buying it so the stars will align to get the pc port out once i'm spent on playing it

Strider/Archer is what I used the entire game and it was awesome. Fast knife action when your close and awesome bow abilities when your not.

I'm just starting to level a mage and even casting a simple lightning bolt spell looks cool.

Ten-fold flurry, all day, every day.

Anteater

The magic effects are nuts in the game, it's why I always have my pawn as sorcerer even though I don't like magic. Just look at this fucking shit, I don't even care if the spells are useful, they look cool as hell in the background!

dragonsdogmascreensho6vxb6.jpg

maomaoIYP

Saying all that, there's no need to worry about stat growth. The game becomes easy when you reach high levels. Min/Max-ing is rather unnecessary IMO.

Yup. The real things that make a difference are your equipment. Also since end game equipment tend to do both physical and magic damage, you're not really losing out if you switch a maxed magic attack character into a melee job class.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Fun thing about Sorcerers is that if you have more than one a Sorcerer pawn can start charging a spell from the same point as the Arisen. It also works the other way around but why would you let a pawn choose what spell you're going to cast? That's a load of bollocks, that is.

Point is, quad sorcs casting simultaneous High Bolides is bananatown. Everybody oughtta do it once.

ironcreed

Banned
That's a great video because it shows that even at level 148, some parts of DA will still be challenging.

Indeed, it's going to be interesting having him stalk you during your descent and taking cumulative damage like the Ur Dragon. Cannot wait to see what the rewards are for finally taking him out.

I don't know a thing about this game. Not even what classes there are. Oh em gee. I hope there's a class I've never seen before in another game otherwise I might have to go sumtin boring.

For first play, recommend choosing Strider. It's sort of an archer-rogue that specializes in speed, bow attacks, and climbing on big ass monsters to hit their weak points.

You are not locked into a class (vocation), they are more like the job system from Final Fantasy. Once you can start changing vocations, is a good idea to mix and match some for stats and augments that carry over no matter what vocation you are currently playing.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
For first play, recommend choosing Strider. It's sort of an archer-rogue that specializes in speed, bow attacks, and climbing on big ass monsters to hit their weak points.

You are not locked into a class (vocation), they are more like the job system from Final Fantasy. Once you can start changing vocations, is a good idea to mix and match some for stats and augments that carry over no matter what vocation you are currently playing.

The problem is I've gone archer/rogue in every similar game lately cause that was the class I'd usually ignore. I might go melee/tank if there is one.

The problem is I've gone archer/rogue in every similar game lately cause that was the class I'd usually ignore. I might go melee/tank if there is one.
The three starting vocation choices are Fighter, Strider, and Mage.

Fighter uses one-handed swords, shields, and heavy armor.

Early in the game, you may change to other of the nine vocations. Warrior is a specialty vocation that uses very large two handed weapons (great swords, giant hammers and maces, etc.) Mystic Knight uses heavy one handed maces, tower shields, and some magic spells.

If you choose Fighter as your starting vocation, I highly recommend making your main pawn a Strider at the beginning (flying and ranged enemies will be you bane otherwise). Not long into the game, you gain the ability to change the vocation of both you and your main pawn, so you're not locked in to anything.

Every class makes you feel like a bad ass in its own way.

Deadstar

Am I still climbing on top of monsters if I'm a bow and arrow or mage type character? Climbing on the monsters looks awesome and I don't want to miss out on that if I won't be doing it with those two character classes.

Grisby

Am I still climbing on top of monsters if I'm a bow and arrow or mage type character? Climbing on the monsters looks awesome and I don't want to miss out on that if I won't be doing it with those two character classes.
As a mage I haven't climbed on anything. As a strider/ranger I was climbing so much I might as well have been a monkey arisen.

ironcreed

Banned

Yes, go with a strider (and eventually assassin as well if you want) and you will use bows, daggers and be able to climb.

You can climb on monsters no matter your class. Your effectiveness at clinging and attacking monsters will be affected, though.

Strider is the best at climbing and attacking monsters. Generally don't recommend climbing monsters as a mage, unless it is to help weigh down a flying monsters so others can attack it.

Your character's weight affects the stamina lost while clinging to a monster. A heavier character will lose stamina more quickly but weigh down flying monsters more.

Mrbob

I skipped the initial release, hoping for a PC version, but I don't believe that day is coming anytime soon. Think I'll pick this new version up, as all the additions look awesome on top of what seems to be a cool original concept.

ironcreed

Banned
Your character's weight affects the stamina lost while clinging to a monster. A heavier character will lose stamina more quickly but weigh down flying monsters more.

Good point. You can even hire a fat/huge pawn if you don't want a big character yourself and they will jump on and weigh down flying creatures and prevent them from flying off out of attack range. The entire system just has such variety and nice little touches like that. It's wonderful.

Deadstar

Thanks for the advice! First time playing and mage sounds awesome but bow/climbing sounds good too. What a tough decision.

ironcreed

Banned
Thanks for the advice! First time playing and mage sounds awesome but bow/climbing sounds good too. What a tough decision.

Well, you will be able to change as you like and keep augments from other vocations as you do. Same for your pawn. Experiment and try different vocations.

they better make a dragon dogma for the next gen this game is just so fun combat/magic/exploring they really need to refine the story though and have more memorable characters.

Top Bottom