• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

How often are you supposed to be switching Vocations? I have been playing as a Strider and my Warrior pawn is hilariously stronger than me (200 more strength, 300 more hp, 100 more defense, and so on). It's to the point where I'm thinking my main pawn should be leading!

eEK!

Neo Member
Warrior stat growth is mainly strength and Strider is balanced, so your Pawn will have higher base strength.

Don't worry about that though, most of your stats will come from equipment.

General advice is just try all the class and unlock some augments while your at it.

And so begins the most GAR run of Dragon's Dogma there will ever be.

2FAA288DD422B4A82B3ED8FC07AD0483477B5D16

Anyone have a Saber or Shirou pawn so I can get the full party going?

manfestival

Why would I bother playing this game after beating it?! I just beat it on Saturday. The too deep for you ending was enough to make me want to stab my pillow

RaidenXZ

Hey gaf! Just bought this game and it's gonna be my first time playing it! Any tips for me before I start? Like what's the most fun class to play as or is there anything I should know prior to starting my adventure :)

David___

Banned
Why would I bother playing this game after beating it?! I just beat it on Saturday. The too deep for you ending was enough to make me want to stab my pillow

Bitterblack Isle is the best part of the game. Takes the best part of the game(the combat) and puts it into a dungeon crawler setting.

Hey gaf! Just bought this game and it's gonna be my first time playing it! Any tips for me before I start? Like what's the most fun class to play as or is there anything I should know prior to starting my adventure :)

Experiment. Its easy to change classes and dont worry about min maxing your stats. The vast majority of the stats come from the gear you find and the benefit of min maxing is minute at best.

Seeing 4K screenshots of open-world games just frustrates me so much.

My PC can pull 4k/60FPS (Sometimes 144FPS depending on the game) on the majority of 7th gen non-open world games like Dead Rising (Ok, technically open-world, but heavily zoned and tight), Valkyria, and Max Payne 3 - But anything open-world like this just brings my PC to its knees at 1080p with 60FPS being something I experience mostly just in dungeons whilst I rock the 30FPS range the majority of the time in the overworld. Oddly enough excepting GTA V despite being a pseudo-8th Gen game, but I guess the Max Payne 3 engine and being ported over the span of two years was a real boon for it in the optimization department.

Man, I really should not have cheaped out on my CPU.

Anyway I think my GARcher is better, considering I had ten different reference images on my second monitor as well as height and weight measurements - When I make copycat characters, you'd better damn well believe I xerox that shit. More screenshots soon. I need to find a new screenshot app since both Steam and Shadowplay Nvidia Share compress my screenshots beyond readability. Anyone know something that works? I just need something that follows the simple logic of "Output to a PNG what is currently in the GPU's framebuffer. EXACTLY what is in the GPU's framebuffer."

Man I still need to play it again...I haven't touched the game in a loooong time (played for 5 hours and it didn't grab me yet). Is it worth to give it a chance?

Maybe The Witcher III spoiled me because in that game everything has so much more weight in a world-building sense.

Is DD just a collection of "go into that cave and loot everything you find" quests or is there more to it? I also had problems with the inventory. So much to click and so much to throw away. Hmmm...

OTIX

Man I still need to play it again...I haven't touched the game in a loooong time (played for 5 hours and it didn't grab me yet). Is it worth to give it a chance?

Maybe The Witcher III spoiled me because in that game everything has so much more weight in a world-building sense.

Is DD just a collection of "go into that cave and loot everything you find" quests or is there more to it? I also had problems with the inventory. So much to click and so much to throw away. Hmmm...
I feel like W3 and DD are kind of opposites when it comes to quality. W3 is a great game in many ways but the combat is fairly mediocre, whereas DD is a mediocre game in many ways but the combat is fantastic. Personally I prefer DD and it's one of my favourite games of all time. Just skip the boring notice board quests and try out all the different classes.

Mr_Zombie

Combat is the major feature of Dragon's Dogma. If that didn't grab you, then the game has barely anything to offer. I still like the exploration aspect, the art design (monsters, armors, environment) etc., but it's kind of obvious that the game focuses on fighting monsters.

Hey guys, I've owned this game for quite a while and even got a little bit into it before I got a bit burnt out. (Mainly due to the insane amount of time I'd already spent in Dark Souls, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3)

Looking to start a fresh and proper playthrough which I'll see through to the end. The question I have is is there a list of recommended mods out there somewhere that I should be using? Don't necessarily want anything that changes gameplay too much, mainly some Quality of Life mods. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: By the way, do I need to add people to get access to their pawns? I can't remember.

Mr_Zombie

EDIT: By the way, do I need to add people to get access to their pawns? I can't remember.

You can hire your friends' pawns for free, no matter what level the pawn is right now.
You can also hire pawns from other players, but you have to pay for them. The higher the pawn's level is from your main character's level, the more RC you have to pay to hire it.

Lime

I just wanted to drop in and say that the armor combinations in this game combined with the flashy animations make this such a cool and amazing game from a visual-aesthetic point of view.

ddda2016-01-2815-28-3o0yun.jpg

ddda2016-01-2816-34-2rpzdu.jpg

Is there a way to reset your Arisen and Pawn's appearances again after using the metamorphosis item?

Do you have the art or secret of metamorphosis?
The art is a one use item, while the secret is infinite use, but only available in post game, and you can swap from the main menu if I remember correctly with the secret of metamorphosis.

The art of metamorphosis is a one use item, and can only be obtained once per playthrough.

GenericMii

Neo Member
Just got the game via the humble monthly deal and i'm a bit stuck on the Nvidia inspector settings part of the first page in the OT.

I'm more comfortable with using Nvidia control panel so should I use that instead of inspector?

Amirnol

I just got this on PC, and while at first I was digging it, now that I'm about 8 hours in I am starting to feel very frustrated and not sure if I feel like continuing. The combat is fun, but there are aspects of it that just annoy the hell out of me.

For instance the punishment for running out of stamina is extremely severe. I counted 8 seconds of complete immobility if a pawn doesn't come to your aid, that is just insane! Take away my abilities for a couple seconds if I run out of stamina, the immobilization is just too punishing, especially when any old scrub enemy can nearly one shot me as an archer/rogue sometimes.

Getting around the world is a huge pain in the ass too, I don't understand why I can't sprint infinitely if I am not in combat. My character's normal run while not sprinting is laughably slow. Just let me sprint! And this is a big reason why this game also needs fast travel easily and right out of the gate. Visit a location once? Unlock it as a fast travel point. It's not much to ask in a large open world game.

Another thing is quest tracking, possibly the worst I've ever seen for a game like this. I have something like 25 quests at the moment, and I can only track one at a time? Are you kidding me?

I would love it if there were mods that let me fast travel easily, sprint infinitely while not in combat, significantly reduce the ridiculous punishment for running out of stamina, and tracking at least 5 or so quests at a time. At the moment I feel my patience running thin. If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement I'd love to hear it.

Rellik

I just got this on PC, and while at first I was digging it, now that I'm about 8 hours in I am starting to feel very frustrated and not sure if I feel like continuing. The combat is fun, but there are aspects of it that just annoy the hell out of me.

For instance the punishment for running out of stamina is extremely severe. I counted 8 seconds of complete immobility if a pawn doesn't come to your aid, that is just insane! Take away my abilities for a couple seconds if I run out of stamina, the immobilization is just too punishing, especially when any old scrub enemy can nearly one shot me as an archer/rogue sometimes.

Getting around the world is a huge pain in the ass too, I don't understand why I can't sprint infinitely if I am not in combat. My character's normal run while not sprinting is laughably slow. Just let me sprint! And this is a big reason why this game also needs fast travel easily and right out of the gate. Visit a location once? Unlock it as a fast travel point. It's not much to ask in a large open world game.

Another thing is quest tracking, possibly the worst I've ever seen for a game like this. I have something like 25 quests at the moment, and I can only track one at a time? Are you kidding me?

I would love it if there were mods that let me fast travel easily, sprint infinitely while not in combat, significantly reduce the ridiculous punishment for running out of stamina, and tracking at least 5 or so quests at a time. At the moment I feel my patience running thin. If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement I'd love to hear it.

(NSFW since the latest file is a nude mod)
http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/?

Erheller

If you run out of stamina, don't move the control stick and you'll recover a lot quicker on your own. I assume you were still trying to move around when you ran out of stamina?

xHiryu

had the same issue when i played the xbox version way back when, luckily on PC there are mods (linked above) which remove the stamina drain from sprinting along with the annoying carry weight.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
had the same issue when i played the xbox version way back when, luckily on PC there are mods (linked above) which remove the stamina drain from sprinting along with the annoying carry weight.
Removing this breaks the game. Do not do this. Sprinting mod, OK whatever, but the other... SMH

Rathorial

Unlimited Sprint/No Stamina Drain Mod

Just wanted to post this since I lost my patience after 18 hours with the 360 version back in the day, but this mod and the better performance made the PC version work for me. I wish the stamina worked differently for combat, but I'll take no running out to the slog of my character wheezing every few feet. I'll echo don't remove the carry weight, it does break the balance of the game in pretty obvious ways.

The fast travel never gets as accessible as other games, but you can after finding items place points where you want, and go back and forth decently fast to very specific places.

About to buy this game on Steam (it's on sale for $12). Pretty excited because I heard the combat is great.

Since I already have Nexus Mod Manager, I figured I'd download a couple mods as well. Unlimited Sprinting and Don't Blind Me look like the best non-game breaking QOL changes. From my ~10 minutes of research on modding for this game, I'm seeing a lot of talk about merging mods if you use more than 1. Is this true for all mods or just some that conflict? I'll stick with just Unlimited Sprinting if the former is the case.

iosefe

About to buy this game on Steam (it's on sale for $12). Pretty excited because I heard the combat is great.

Since I already have Nexus Mod Manager, I figured I'd download a couple mods as well. Unlimited Sprinting and Don't Blind Me look like the best non-game breaking QOL changes. From my ~10 minutes of research on modding for this game, I'm seeing a lot of talk about merging mods if you use more than 1. Is this true for all mods or just some that conflict? I'll stick with just Unlimited Sprinting if the former is the case.
Many say sprint is all you need

As far as buying the fame, you could subscribe on humble for the monthly bundle and get it, as it will be in next months. And also get at least 5 other games, for a similar price

Many say sprint is all you need

As far as buying the fame, you could subscribe on humble for the monthly bundle and get it, as it will be in next months. And also get at least 5 other games, for a similar price

Thanks I'll just use the sprint mod then.

And thank you for the info, but I had $12 in my Steam wallet already so I used that. :)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Unlimited sprinting

rzjp9hM.gif

Try playing the game first before you start enabling cheat codes.

Thanks I'll just use the sprint mod then.

And thank you for the info, but I had $12 in my Steam wallet already so I used that. :)

I'd personally recommend not using unlimited sprint. If you can get a mod that reduces how much stamina sprinting drains, go for that instead. Having to manage your stamina out in the world, and slowing down to regen it, made me take in the world more. I think just sprinting non stop through it would take something out of the experience, but that's just me.

Unlimited sprinting

rzjp9hM.gif

Try playing the game first before you start enabling cheat codes.

I'd personally recommend not using unlimited sprint. If you can get a mod that reduces how much stamina sprinting drains, go for that instead. Having to manage your stamina out in the world, and slowing down to regen it, made me take in the world more. I think just sprinting non stop through it would take something out of the experience, but that's just me.

From what I've heard, the normal stamina use for sprinting is obnoxiously high. But fair enough, I'll start playing without the mod and then download it if I start getting annoyed.

From what I've heard, the normal stamina use for sprinting is obnoxiously high. I could see that getting old fast, but fair enough, I'll start playing without it and then download it if I start getting annoyed.

It's one of those things that I got used to (well, had to get used to) when I played it, but I'm glad it was a feature. It's been a while since I played, but I think sprinting only drains when you're outside of towns/the city, and not in combat (I might be wrong about that). As I said, I'd recommend a mod that decreases the stamina drain considerably, but doesn't outright remove it, if one exists.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
From what I've heard, the normal stamina use for sprinting is obnoxiously high. But fair enough, I'll start playing without the mod and then download it if I start getting annoyed.

The idea isn't to just be able to sprint from one end of the map to the other without stopping. This game, more than most open world games, is fraught with peril and it has to be a conscious decision whether you want to sprint thru an area and risk having to fight from an inopportune position if you get caught up. If it's your first time playing the game I absolutely recommend not using infinite sprint. Ever. Even if you find it annoying after a time. It's literally a cheat and one that trivializes a thing that sets this game apart from others like it. People who use it are soft and/or used to handholdy, carebear games. Without unlimited sprint a wolf IS going to catch you and he IS going to chew on your ass and you WILL like it.

It's one of those things that I got used to (well, had to get used to) when I played it, but I'm glad it was a feature. It's been a while since I played, but I think sprinting only drains when you're outside of towns/the city, and not in combat (I might be wrong about that). As I said, I'd recommend a mod that decreases the stamina drain considerably, but doesn't outright remove it, if one exists.

I found this one:

0.25 Sprint Stamina Drain

The idea isn't to just be able to sprint from one end of the map to the other without stopping. This game, more than most open world games, is fraught with peril and it has to be a conscious decision whether you want to sprint thru an area and risk having to fight from an inopportune position if you get caught up. If it's your first time playing the game I absolutely recommend not using infinite sprint. Ever. Even if you find it annoying after a time. It's literally a cheat and one that trivializes a thing that sets this game apart from others like it. People who use it are soft and/or used to handholdy, carebear games. Without unlimited sprint a wolf IS going to catch you and he IS going to chew on your ass and you WILL like it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. And after playing Dark Souls 3 for 357 hours I also appreciate a perilous game that doesn't hold my hand. I'm not gonna be running away from any wolves (because I ain't no bitch), but if the game ever starts to feel tedious then I'm gonna use that mod I linked above.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's worth mentioning that there is an augment in the game specifically for reducing stamina drain while sprinting. However, it's only obtainable in the DLC area and can be somewhat of a pain to get.

Also worth noting is that if you play a yellow vocation (Strider, Ranger, or Assassin) and have daggers equipped, there is a skill that lets you roll around nearly as fast as sprinting without consuming any stamina.

heringer

Made a damn good looking Geralt. Kind of surprised at how similar it looks. :)

Game is not a looker but I made a decente Reshade, not too shabby now.

Any mods that enhance the visuals?

Top Bottom