• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Have this game pre-ordered as i was really looking forward to it but that demo did nothing for me. The IQ is terrible and the combat lacks satisfaction. I cant really tell if i hit something or not, there is no impact. The screen is also a cluttered mess. Might have to bail on this :/

You can't tell if you hit something?

Do you not hear the sound, do you not see the enemy being shaken byt the impact of your blows?

Do you not see the blood squirting out?

What do you need?

Repost for the new page:

How did you get rid of the pawns?

How do you fight the Griffon solo? You start with a full party and you can't just kill them quickly.

Circle around the southeast part of the area and there's a rock sticking out on top of a hill, grab your pawns (mage first) and repeatedly throw them off until they die.

It doesn't take too long, knocks about 15% health off each throw, but you'll end up going into the night. The wait until dawn takes forever.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
also all that clutter you can turn off in the options
73tdbxb

Skilletor

You can't tell if you hit something?

Do you not hear the sound, do you not see the enemy being shaken byt the impact of your blows?

Do you not see the blood squirting out?

What do you need?

Also seems to be a slight pause for the hit effects that I find somewhat annoying.

I've played through the demo like 10 times on each scenario. I'm completely sold, and I disliked it a bit initially.

Going to try playing 360 version here now.

Anteater

There are heavy attacks and some are from timing your combo correctly, dagger is suppose to be small range and not as heavy as a sword, there are enough feedbacks based on what you do, you're not going to stagger an enemy with every single hit.

Anteater

The Assassin's above-ground attacks are, in a variety of ways, amazing... But with limitations. 11/8 #DD_Lineage

The mage and sorcerer can use six varieties of magic, but always using the same combinations can be pretty tiring. 12/15 #DD_Lineage

Not sure what above-ground attacks are... (just normal attacks?) but seems like there are 6 "types" of magic?

Edit: Now I think about it, he could just be talking about elements =/

willooi

I wish the demo had a non-combat portion of open world to explore and interact with people, but still, colour me impressed. Really looking forward to getting this.

Love the character creation options, too. Couldn't help myself:

dd1.jpg

Riposte

Circle around the southeast part of the area and there's a rock sticking out on top of a hill, grab your pawns (mage first) and repeatedly throw them off until they die.

It doesn't take too long, knocks about 15% health off each throw, but you'll end up going into the night. The wait until dawn takes forever.

Not worth it.

I think I'm going to make Geralt of Riveria.

Patryn

Was playing the Griffin for the 4th time yesterday and FINALLY noticed that it used the character I created. The first three times, I hadn't really paid attention and thought it used a pre-gen character, like in the prologue.

But I'm now assuming that the character you use in the prologue section of the demo will be the character you use in the prologue section of the full game?

I also turned off basically all the subtitles and found it a much better experience. I don't mind the chatter, just don't need it to take up half the screen.

Frankly, all I'd want is lock-on. I know a lot of people seem down on this game, but I'm getting really hyped for it. Sounds like it's almost perfectly up my alley.

Schwabe

Was playing the Griffin for the 4th time yesterday and FINALLY noticed that it used the character I created. The first three times, I hadn't really paid attention and thought it used a pre-gen character, like in the prologue.

But I'm now assuming that the character you use in the prologue section of the demo will be the character you use in the prologue section of the full game?

I also turned off basically all the subtitles and found it a much better experience. I don't mind the chatter, just don't need it to take up half the screen.

Frankly, all I'd want is lock-on. I know a lot of people seem down on this game, but I'm getting really hyped for it. Sounds like it's almost perfectly up my alley.

There are Archer Skills with lock on. Other than that... nope, like Monster Hunter. Better without lock-on!

cametall

The only reason I noticed it was my custom character was because I made hobo Jesus.

And sure enough I noticed I was controlling a dude that looked like a hobo Jesus wearing Aragorn's armor (looked like it to me at first at least).

ced

Played both versions back to back last night (720p on both).

I only noticed tearing on the 360 during cutscenes and the frame rate was fine. No tearing or noticeable frame rate issues on the PS3 for me.

I really like using the bow in this game, feels awesome. Lame demo and all, still pretty excited for this.

Effect

Finally got to play the demo. Fun but kinda unsure about it. Controls were fine though I wish there was more of a need to mess with the menu system. Also to see what more environments were like even if it was only video. At the moment I'm not sure I can spend $60 on the game. Would still like to play it after the demo, which wasn't the case after playing the Amalur demo. Started looking at both games at the same time. So might wait until it drops more unless NewEgg is offering a deal on a preorder and it hasn't ended. Then again this, Xenoblade, and The Last Story might be a bit much all at the same time. Though it can always sit to the side until I get to it.

Things seemed pretty easy in the demo though. I guess that was to be expected. Thought the fights would be harder though. Are there suppose to be a difficulty options in the game or just one standard that can't be changed?

Nyx

Things seemed pretty easy in the demo though. I guess that was to be expected. Thought the fights would be harder though. Are there suppose to be a difficulty options in the game or just one standard that can't be changed?

This was intentional, your party and you are decked out with great weapons and armor, in the full game you start with shit.

It had an odd Lost Planet kind of feel to it.

The character creator was as unusual as the rest of the game. I think that adds to the charm of it, it's definitely out of the ordinary. Very chaotic game.

zoukka

Man this game has huge potential and I'm loving the Japanese input in the dusty old high-fantasy settings. It just goes to show that Japan is still so very good at many things done wrong in the west. The way the characters, monsters move and animate is spot on. Even ugly characters look beautiful when compared to the mess in Bethesda and Bioware games.

Too bad the framerate was unforgivable on PS3.

Also night was weird... like I can't see literally anything but the sky and the glowing eyes of the griffin lol

doomquake

i get this try hard vibe from it though...or at least he capcom promo videos. Best to just avoid them :] .

Its been said a million times, but you get to export the characters from the demo?

Patryn

i get this try hard vibe from it though...or at least he capcom promo videos. Best to just avoid them :] .

Its been said a million times, but you get to export the characters from the demo?

Yes. The text when you highlight the Character Creator even says so.

Effect

The fire blast from the dragon dropped the frame rate for me but that was about it. The first time I was a good distance from it and didn't have problems. The second time I closer before the blast hit and that's when I noticed the drop. Didn't have any issues outside of that. Didn't see any problems in the griffin fight.

Patryn

I really do wonder why they gave us such a tiny demo this early. I'd rather it be either beefier, or have come only a couple weeks out, rather than nearly a month out.

you have to sacrifice a kitty :(

cause it is, if you dont see it then less you remain ignorant to see it, but it can hardly maintain 30.

I'm talking about where it's to a point that would have people jump on here like "THIS FRAMERATE SUCKS". Sorry, regardless of how high or low the fps is, it's fine for me and many others here.

demigod

The fire blast from the dragon dropped the frame rate for me but that was about it. The first time I was a good distance from it and didn't have problems. The second time I closer before the blast hit and that's when I noticed the drop. Didn't have any issues outside of that. Didn't see any problems in the griffin fight.

I just tried this 8 times, no framerate drop at all. Getting hit by fire, not getting hit by fire, standing in the fire. Movement is responsive all the way.

I'm talking about where it's to a point that would have people jump on here like "THIS FRAMERATE SUCKS". Sorry, regardless of how high or low the fps is, it's fine for me and many others here.

Funny HoodWinked is calling people ignorant when he's basing his assumptions on MT Framework without even playing it on the PS3.

Zomba13

I think I'll play through the game as a kid. I just find it so cool that you can make your character look like a kid and not just a short man/woman.
Like, the idea of a child being the hero in this dangerous world and killing all these nasty beasties just seems bad ass.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think I'll play through the game as a kid. I just find it so cool that you can make your character look like a kid and not just a short man/woman.
Like, the idea of a child being the hero in this dangerous world and killing all these nasty beasties just seems bad ass.

That is like every JRPG ever, though.

Won't work, there aren't enough options in the character creator to make the hair spiky enough or the eyes big enough.

Zomba13

That is like every JRPG ever, though.

Well I guess. But they are like, more JRPGy (like, more Anime).
Like, this game is very WRPG. Like something out of Lord of The Rings or D&D and not Final Fantasy. Like this world seems a lot more 'serious'.
And this is a character creator that lets you make kids, I can't really think of another game that lets you do that (that doesn't have their own 'kid' race like TERA).

Dresden

Wish the framerate wasn't so bad on the ps3, perhaps it'll be improved for the actual release. Enjoyed it otherwise, hopefully the game offers a challenge. Glad that the bow/arrow mechanics work well, will definitely go magick archer.

Best character customization ever. I can make the funniest dudes ^_^

Also, the demo was super short and super easy. Neither option took more than like 10 minutes and I don't think I got hit once in either one :-(

Top Bottom