• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

0.0 Dat arisen ass.

Black female arisen with a giant caboose. Get on board! Whooo whoooo. Loved it.

So hyped. How come he only has one special move for each of his weapons?

You gain abilities as you level up. I think the demo just gave us an OP character. In one preview video, the guy playing was asked if the game had a dodge, he said 'no' and commenters ripped him for it because his character type does have one, but he simply wasnt leveled up high enough to gain access to it. So he was wrong about there not being one, but the commenters were wrong about the fact that the rogue simply has it from the start.

branny

I don't care about story.

I don't care about cutscenes.

I care about my daggers.

And the way they feel when cleaving a manticore's skull.

And the loot I get after.
I love you. The amount of fun I'm getting solely from replaying the demo over and over is ridiculous. I can't even comprehend how much better things can be if you factor in loot, more skills, and other enemies to kill.

I can't wait to see all the crazy speed-runs and challenges people will upload after the game launches.

I need this game. :(

You gain abilities as you level up. I think the demo just gave us an OP character. In one preview video, the guy playing was asked if the game had a dodge, he said 'no' and commenters ripped him for it because his character type does have one, but he simply wasnt leveled up high enough to gain access to it. So he was wrong about there not being one, but the commenters were wrong about the fact that the rogue simply has it from the start.
I knew you get more abilities as your level goes up, but I thought you'd start with more. Doesn't matter too much, though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Looks as though you start with one skill in an area (daggers sword and shield and then your stats skills based on your class/character) and they grow as you level. Of course you develop many more than 3 so you have to choose carefully what "skills" you actually equip at any given time.

I'm truly hoping that the background skills that have to do with your class and character carry over as expected... stuff like the ranger having superior grip strength and stuff like that. I wonder if we pick a certain amount of those type of the character progression passive skill elements to take with us or any/all of them that we unlock come with you across any job you are in.

Can't wait to find out :)

branny

That reminds me--has anyone figured out the point of delaying your light attacks as a strider?

With the warrior in the first part of the demo, it's a downward slash which is sometimes handy. But with the strider, it's a series of kicks. It doesn't seem like your weapon enchantment affects it, and it appears that it may be used more for crowd control. I can't really tell if it scatters enemies farther after you finish the combo or if the attack arc around your character is significantly wider than regular slashes.

I also can't figure out a way to make heavy dagger attacks or Scarlet Kisses useful.

The amount of fun I'm getting solely from replaying the demo over and over is ridiculous.

Really? I hate the demo only cos the final game is too far away for my likes/ Deleted it. Plus I got what I want out of it.

I can't wait to see all the crazy speed-runs and challenges people will upload after the game launches.

It's all too predictable. . . "Hai Gais! check out this craazYY Japanese player doing this hard boss in 2 seconds flat!! 1" and everyone be like "whoa!! 1 sick thumbs up and like youtube."

Just like that Vanquish Japanese player.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
That reminds me--has anyone figured out the point of delaying your light attacks as a strider?

With the warrior in the first part of the demo, it's a downward slash which is sometimes handy. But with the strider, it's a series of kicks. It doesn't seem like your weapon enchantment affects it, and it appears that it may be used more for crowd control. I can't really tell if it scatters enemies farther after you finish the combo or if the attack arc around your character is significantly wider than regular slashes.

I also can't figure out a way to make heavy dagger attacks or Scarlet Kisses useful.

The kicks are definitely good for crowd control. It's also handy to do one then cancel out of the second kick animation for a the charge attack or the helm splitter like circle button attack.

standard heavy dagger attacks are kind of annoying yes... I have yet to really work them "perfectly" into a combo .. but 111 - 1 - 11 - 111 type of attacks will throw out the horizontal blades a lot more but the hard dagger attack just continues to break the flow all the time.

Scarlet kisses is CRAZY useful.. especially since you can link into any of the other specials after the attack finishes or move directly into the kisses themselves from a light combo with little to no pause in between. most importantly ... try climbing onto the Griffon by it's neck.. getting close enough to its head... hold down the skills button and just mash scarlet kisses till you fall off. Most likely you take more than a whole bar off his life. And that's without your blades hot. Kisses is the murder button when you are climbing monsters. seriously.

branny

Yeah, I was wondering if there was any use for Scarlet Kisses on the ground because it only seems to shine while grabbing onto something when you have enough stamina. While on the ground, the light combo just seems superior as it also moves you a little bit. Maybe there will be a time when you want to remain completely stationary on the ground?

The heavy attack probably just does more damage or something. It doesn't seem like there's any difference between attacking goblins from the front or the back as both kinds of attacks elicit the same reaction animations. =\

Really? I hate the demo only cos the final game is too far away for my likes/ Deleted it. Plus I got what I want out of it.

It's all too predictable. . . "Hai Gais! check out this craazYY Japanese player doing this hard boss in 2 seconds flat!! 1" and everyone be like "whoa!! 1 sick thumbs up and like youtube."

Just like that Vanquish Japanese player.
I live for those videos!

I think I'm most interested in seeing people attempt no-damage solo runs with totally different classes considering how drastically you seem to have to alter your approach with each vocation.

And, yeah, I wonder if I'll eventually get burned out playing the same two quests over and over. I can't stop myself, though. The Mirror's Edge demo had the same effect on me.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If you jump into place or move into an enemy as you combo with the light attack you can move directly into scarlet kisses in the middle of your attack. Kisses will pretty much lock them in your attacking range until the kick at the end sends them away from you. I will often lead in with 2 of the charging attacks, position myself, begin a light combo - move into Scarlet Kisses and then on more charge after the kick sends them away follow up with the O attack. Pretty effective at both groups and single targets as you move around alot and the helm breaker style attack has some AOE on it which gives you some room at the end of the routine.

I'm personally loving putting combos together. it's great to cancel a combo with the bow as well and catch a goblin slippin with an arrowhead.

Anyone know what the preorder bonuses are at the stores? I can't wait for this game.

The Capcom Store:

Capcom® Store Exclusive!

The Dragon's Dogma™ Customizable Pawn Bobble Budd® comes with accessories!

Included with your Dragon's Dogma™ Customizable Pawn Bobble Budd®:

One blank Pawn Bobble Budd®
Two customization decal sheets
Four accessories

Amazon:

Pre-order Dragon's Dogma and get the Weapon Upgrade Pack, which will stock your item storage with dependable weapons for the class you choose at the beginning of your game (Fighter, Strider or Mage) -- an Iron Sword, a Criteria, and a Wooden Staff. Additionally, all copies will include access to the Resident Evil 6 demo. The Resident Evil 6 demo will be available on 7/3 for Xbox 360 and 9/3 for PlayStation 3. Offer valid on all existing pre-orders. Access code will be e-mailed within two business days after your order ships, demo code will be included in the game box. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Weapon Upgrade Pack limited to one per customer. Please read the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live terms of use.

Best Buy:

Exclusive Armor Upgrade Pack Bonus
Stock your item storage with this protective three-piece set when you pre-order Dragon's Dogma for Xbox 360 or PS3.

GameStop:

Pawn Upgrade Pack - Begin your Dragon's Dogma adventure with an additional 2,000 Rift Crystals! This early cash advance' will allow you to enlist higher level PAWNs early on in addition to having an expanded set of items available for purchase at Aestella's shop in Cassardis!

Patryn

The Capcom Store:

Capcom® Store Exclusive!

Four accessories

Amazon:

Pre-order Dragon's Dogma and get the Weapon Upgrade Pack, which will stock your item storage with dependable weapons for the class you choose at the beginning of your game (Fighter, Strider or Mage) -- an Iron Sword, a Criteria, and a Wooden Staff. Additionally, all copies will include access to the Resident Evil 6 demo. The Resident Evil 6 demo will be available on 7/3 for Xbox 360 and 9/3 for PlayStation 3. Offer valid on all existing pre-orders. Access code will be e-mailed within two business days after your order ships, demo code will be included in the game box. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Weapon Upgrade Pack limited to one per customer. Please read the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live terms of use.

Best Buy:

Stock your item storage with this protective three-piece set when you pre-order Dragon's Dogma for Xbox 360 or PS3.

GameStop:

Pawn Upgrade Pack - Begin your Dragon's Dogma adventure with an additional 2,000 Rift Crystals! This early cash advance' will allow you to enlist higher level PAWNs early on in addition to having an expanded set of items available for purchase at Aestella's shop in Cassardis!

Sounds like Amazon easily got the pre-order package.

Boss Man

I do love me a good soundtrack. Most people don't realize just how much of an impact music can have on the overall atmosphere/experience of a game. GAF knows though, GAF knows- thanks for the links.

ironcreed

Banned
The original price is 11,990 yen, unless play-asia has some great deal that will probably be the cheapest price.

They are not even available for pre-order at Play-Asia right now, so they must be going fast.

*Edit* Never mind, it says pre-orders available soon.

Lucent

I know its just the demo but I made a vid of getting through the prologue with no pawns and without using any items (other than the lantern):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65LBrfCdQ6Y

This game can't come out fast enough!

Wow, nice job! =D

Yeah I need to work on my solo skills. I get to that fight but then it drags on too long because my hits do so little to it I just sorta let myself die. Never thought of running from the harpies though. I just stayed and fought them for some reason.

I liked the end though when you taunted his corpse several times and shield bashed him in the jaw.

Card Boy

Banned
The Capcom Store:

Capcom® Store Exclusive!

Four accessories

Amazon:

Best Buy:

GameStop:

And with this post you have just killed my interest for the game. I will wait for that PC port.

Card Boy

Banned
How does something as innocuous as pre-order bonuses kill your interest in a game?

Because its from Capcom and the 15 FPS already had me on shaky ground? The content exists, and its being held back from me. Why should i support it at full blown retail prices on console?

Because its from Capcom and the 15 FPS already had me on shaky ground? The content exists, and its being held back from me. Why should i support it at full blown retail prices on console?

Which content is being held back from you? Some shitty starter armor and weapons? The framerate isn't 15, but it is low on the PS3 demo, but by all accounts its higher in the full game. Sounds to me like you want reasons to not buy it, but that's not a problem to me. Your choice.

Just got done playing the demo. This game wasn't anywhere on my radar until now. I cannot wait for this game. May is going to be a pretty good month with this, Mario Tennis Open, and Max Payne 3.

Sucks when I heard there is no multiplayer. I have two friends who would've been all over this if it was. But the game feels juicy enough that the single player is worth it.

MOG728

The art style is bland to me, but that isn't a huge deal.

The demo was very entertaining. I enjoyed the combat, the set up of the game and thought the enemies were interesting and fun to fight against.

My biggest worry is that this game will lack an intriguing story. I am at the point with games that I have plenty of fun games, but not too many that suck me into the world. Kinda getting more picky about games that don't have engaging worlds.

Would definitely pick this game up in a couple months when the price drops in the summer. The combat is a lot of fun and the graphics are pretty solid.

The art style is bland to me, but that isn't a huge deal.

The demo was very entertaining. I enjoyed the combat, the set up of the game and thought the enemies were interesting and fun to fight against.

My biggest worry is that this game will lack an intriguing story. I am at the point with games that I have plenty of fun games, but not too many that suck me into the world. Kinda getting more picky about games that don't have engaging worlds.

Would definitely pick this game up in a couple months when the price drops in the summer. The combat is a lot of fun and the graphics are pretty solid.
I find the idea of Pawns being an actual plot element pretty intriguing. The reviews aren't too encouraging, though.

Top Bottom