• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma online | Import OT | Black Bars be gone!

ChanMan

the combat and animations are still there... but for sure this game was neutered compared to DD. You can't pick up most stuff like you could in the old games... the world isn't as seamless as it once was, but the game would definitely be more enjoyable if it was in english. I'm waiting for the english patches to go much further before i hop back on. The combat and animations are definitely the bread and butter of this game. but all this game does is make me realize how valuable DD being single player is.

I still want dragon's dogma dark arisen for PC. :/

Thanks for the impression but it is so sad to read DD is probably one of my favorite games of all time and to see that it has been neutered is unfortunate. I didn't expect much from this game anyway.

That level 20 boss in the caverns main mission was brutal for me. I was a level 18 hunter and it was killing me in one hit. The pawns were completed useless.

The game is fun as hell, though.

Anko

I basically gave up healing and just revived in the cave in weakened state as I chipped away at the troll for a certain main quest's boss fight. I probably died well over 20 times since that fucking troll could hit you with its wild swing while you are on his back. I couldn't find a safe spot. I was at level 16, with a severely underpowered lvl 8? bow (crafted, strengthened by 2 ranks). My shield sage pawn does pretty well most of the time... until we met the troll. Stop trying to buff me with your back against the troll, you fool.

I've since crafted a lvl 17 bow to use. It sucks that all you pick up are materials out in the world. I don't think I've ever seen a weapon or armour drop outside of quest rewards. It sucks. That's the problem with f2p MMOs that have a gacha system. It's not easy to get the 30 silver tickets for 1 gacha roll either (it's 3 silver tickets per login bonus). And the 10+1 is for paying customers only. Weapons in shops cost a ton so I resort to crafting, buying any materials I lack off the bazaar.

I do feel that the game is geared towards playing with others as opposed to solo play. The official twitter account tweeted about being able to go solo if you so please, and I couldn't help but laugh at the responses which ranged from blasting the shitty AI to pointing out how difficult that is.

I agree that rage mode sucks. Why the fuck does it keep coming back. After I drain its stamina bar, it takes a hell lot to stagger it further. If you don't manage to bring it down, it goes right back into rage mode. If you do, there's a chance that it might still go back into rage mode. I basically spend a few minutes draining the stamina bar only to deal maybe 30-50 hits of full damage. My pawn occasionally helps tug at the boss but she jumps off whenever the boss makes any tiny move (except when the red prompt comes up, but of course). I can't help but feel that I am doing it wrong. Please tell me I am doing it wrong? Even at level 17, it takes me a while to finish off that level 12 cyclops near the first (Teru?) village on my own.

Kalentan

Part of me wants to hold off playing anymore till I beat some more games in my backlog. Obviously I would still get on from time to time.

Fupri

Banned
Is there a fast(er) proxy on those sites? I barely get 0.16mb/s downloading through the proxy I'm using right now.. XD

Anko

Is there a fast(er) proxy on those sites? I barely get 0.16mb/s downloading through the proxy I'm using right now.. XD

I am guessing you are playing from PS4?
Play on the PC if you have that option. You can turn off the VPN/proxy after the launcher loads. I managed over 11MBps.

DDO reached 100k concurrent logins and Capcom will be giving out a 5k Rim points (crystals? I don't remember) as a present at a later date.

http://gamestalk.net/dragons-dogma-online-22/
Rim... What can they be used for aside from hiring pawns and quick traveling?
Everyone probably wanted to participate in the weekend event which, ironically, was cancelled due to the overwhelming traffic.

Over 330k arisen created to date, and over 950k downloads.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game, but I'll wait on an English patch or localization (should we ever hope to be so lucky). It feels like there is so much too this game I'm missing out on because of the language barrier. Should I go back and play DD?

Anko

Damn. Unlocking the Seeker will require quite a bit of work. Sorcerer looks relatively simpler by comparison.

Shurayuki

Damn. Unlocking the Seeker will require quite a bit of work. Sorcerer looks relatively simpler by comparison.

Well it's arranged so you get sorcerer around lvl 20 and seeker around 30, pretty sure you have to do the prerequisites for the main quest anyways.

The job quests themselves are a cinch at that level, killing orb enemies (catacombs) for sorc and lvl 18 cyclops (mace giant in teru) for seeker when you're around lvl 30.

Anko

Well it's arranged so you get sorcerer around lvl 20 and seeker around 30, pretty sure you have to do the prerequisites for the main quest anyways.

The job quests themselves are a cinch at that level, killing orb enemies (catacombs) for sorc and lvl 18 cyclops (mace giant in teru) for seeker when you're around lvl 30.

I think it's actually possible to gain access to the Dow valley (sp?) if you raise your area rank high enough. I don't look forward to the cyclops fights though.

Edit:
I'm not sure if it applies for any other enemy but the lizardmen will trip and fall to the ground if they so much as touch anything mid jump. So jump when they jump. I've even seen them falling over each other, having bumped into one another mid air.

I agree that rage mode sucks. Why the fuck does it keep coming back. After I drain its stamina bar, it takes a hell lot to stagger it further. If you don't manage to bring it down, it goes right back into rage mode. If you do, there's a chance that it might still go back into rage mode. I basically spend a few minutes draining the stamina bar only to deal maybe 30-50 hits of full damage. My pawn occasionally helps tug at the boss but she jumps off whenever the boss makes any tiny move (except when the red prompt comes up, but of course). I can't help but feel that I am doing it wrong. Please tell me I am doing it wrong? Even at level 17, it takes me a while to finish off that level 12 cyclops near the first (Teru?) village on my own.

Nope, you're doing it right.

After reaching level 30, I've decided that "Level 25 Cyclops" translates to "you need at least 2 level 25 Arisen for this to be somewhat manageable, 4 if you want it to end within 15 minutes." Stamina gauges would actually drain quite quickly with 4 players all jumping on at once, which is definitely what the devs intended.

In my opinion, since the overworld/dungeons are instanced anyway, they need to scale boss stamina to match the number of players in your party. If I'm going solo with pawns, I should be able to drain boss stamina as quickly as 4 players could.

Anyway, I think I'll take some time off soon too. Phantom Pain is waiting.

Shurayuki

I think it's actually possible to gain access to the Dow valley (sp?) if you raise your area rank high enough. I don't look forward to the cyclops fights though.

Yeah but to level it up you already have to be in the level range, the wiki says you can't cheese it (going way earlier by having a friend teleport you there etc).

---

We need to get a GAF party going some time, the pawns are just too stupid to really help.

SoldnerKei

hehe, funny thing is that I began my first char as a Hunter, but now I am a Fighter with a new char(I know I can change jobs, I did it for the looks and name xD), I just turned lvl 10 and for some reason when I search the GAF guild it doesn't appear on the results :c

thou that npc sent me to that bay town on the first quest it gave me, and the npc there seems to need me to do something to finish out that quest line, but I don't know what it is lol

nevertheless, if someone wanna kill some big stuff, Lina Rein is my character, I am usually around 7-11 PDT

Problem is, from what I have seen so far, most of us are hunters.

4 Hunters can still get way further than any combo that involves pawns, though maybe finding one Priest player would be best.

Pawns are only of use during the boss's stunned and downed states, where they can apply damage. In every other phase of the fight, they either get killed, are too afraid to approach the boss (their AI tells them to jump whenever a boss is attacking, which makes close-range pawns useless 90% of the time), or are busy flat-out ignoring your commands due to stupidity or glitches ("Oh, you're mashing 'Follow' to get me to recover you from a stunned state? Let me cast a buff first" or "It's time to attack the boss? Stuck on a small cliff and forgot how to jump").

Use people, don't put up with this.

Dr.Wampe

I am trying to get this game to run, but at 29% i get a connection Error. If i manage to solve the problem, i can play a Priest.

Shurayuki

Problem is, from what I have seen so far, most of us are hunters.

Seems 50/50 hunters and fighters yeah. Shouldn't be much of problem though,

Sure a priest in the party (pawn/player) is important but everything else should be fine.
Also you can actually revive each other right, so even dying wouldn't matter much.

Should be easy to flashfarm a player as a priest if we needed one and went with 4 too.

^Haha well good luck Dr.Wampe, just try a few different proxies I guess.

god, rage mode is baaaaad... i didnt think it would so bad but....

Rage mode is terrible, I guess it's their thing to try to force ppl to party.
Something must be broken in the pawn AI, they always jump off immediately but cling on when the red symbol appears...what?

Maybe an all priest pawn party would work, at least they explode when they die...

So, are there any other VPN's besides VPN Gate? I can't get that to work, it connects but does not change my IP...

REALLY want to get into this :/

Az987

all good things
I am trying to get this game to run, but at 29% i get a connection Error. If i manage to solve the problem, i can play a Priest.

It might be the VPN your using. I was getting an error with one of the ones labeled anonymous and when I switched it all was fine.

So, are there any other VPN's besides VPN Gate? I can't get that to work, it connects but does not change my IP...

REALLY want to get into this :/

Try choosing a server with a low number of users. Sometimes you just have to keep trying.

FlyVPN is another option, but you have to use their free trial accounts. Only problem is that you can only use it three times a day and 20 minutes per session. That's enough time to log in, though. You only need to have the VPN activated to get to the log in screen in the launcher. You can turn it off before you hit the log in button and it will work.

Try choosing a server with a low number of users. Sometimes you just have to keep trying.

FlyVPN is another option, but you have to use their free trial accounts. Only problem is that you can only use it three times a day and 20 minutes per session. That's enough time to log in, though. You only need to have the VPN activated to get to the log in screen in the launcher. You can turn it off before you hit the log in button and it will work.
FlyVPN sounds like a good enough option, thank you!

Leveled up the first area to level 10, which took a solid 4-5 hours of grinding. This "leveled up the support goods" for that area, which included an ultra-rare crafting item and a rift stone fragment, both of which there are a limited number of in the game.

Went to the support items menu and hit the lower left button, which is "accept" on literally every other item-related menu in the game. It discarded my reward items. Turns out, there's a special golden button in the upper right you press to accept the items, for this menu only.

Guys, I'm done. And maybe you should be too. I reached level 31 from grinding unfun boss fights so I could unlock dungeons with more unfun boss fights and, if I continued on, it would only be so I could do the exact same thing for the next area.

If you feel even the slightest hint of aggravation towards this game, I'm warning you: pull the plug now before waste as much time on it as I did. It does not get any better as you get stronger.

Sectus

Mercedes?

Uhm... I think the names you're looking for are "Fournival" and "Feste".

Fournival is not needed. We already have Fournival 2.0 in the game:
tumblr_ntq9nehdSi1rb48exo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ntq9nehdSi1rb48exo2_1280.jpg

I'm guessing withy the Dark Arisen PC announcement that we will lose gaf clan members. D:

It will certainly be better than this sorry state of a game now.
still i would like to see what they will do to the warrior class in DDO. It was the weakest yet my favorite class in the original game.

Sectus

I'm guessing withy the Dark Arisen PC announcement that we will lose gaf clan members. D:

It might lead more people to get interested in DDO.

Either way, I really hope this is a sign that Capcom would consider releasing DDO in English.

Anko

My reaction when I first read your post:
HUH. It can't be!? That's too good to be true?!!?

A quick search on gaf turned it into a
omgomgomgomgomg <- currently stuck here.

How do I buy 10 copies

Leveled up the first area to level 10, which took a solid 4-5 hours of grinding. This "leveled up the support goods" for that area, which included an ultra-rare crafting item and a rift stone fragment, both of which there are a limited number of in the game.

Went to the support items menu and hit the lower left button, which is "accept" on literally every other item-related menu in the game. It discarded my reward items. Turns out, there's a special golden button in the upper right you press to accept the items, for this menu only.

Guys, I'm done. And maybe you should be too. I reached level 31 from grinding unfun boss fights so I could unlock dungeons with more unfun boss fights and, if I continued on, it would only be so I could do the exact same thing for the next area.

If you feel even the slightest hint of aggravation towards this game, I'm warning you: pull the plug now before waste as much time on it as I did. It does not get any better as you get stronger.
I did notice the button being in the upper corner. I almost discarded mine too but I read the prompt. That's UI usability 101 right there. Keep your button placement consistent. They give out those rewards once a week but I have no idea if there's a RNG involved in what you get.

Perhaps they'll patch the boss fights eventually. I fucking hated the cave troll. I think it took me an hour to clear that.

Now it's another slow grind until I unlock the next main quest. I really hate having so few weapons as a reward. I don't really feel like I am getting that much stronger with each new crafted weapon, which I think is inferior in stats. I imagine the best items will mostly come from the silver ticket treasure thing?

komaruR

my review of DDO.
Play only when you have friends playing. Not worth the time sink for solo experience.

I'm only lv 15 hunter but I already notice the mmo grind at lv 10.
Few points to take:
- Main story quest is lv gated like any other mmo (I think?, I don't remember how it was in vanilla and dark arisen). Also there's area rank gate too.
- World and Personal quest are repeatitive for area rank/exp (and not a whole lot of varieties?? since i haven't go to higher lv. just base on my observation)
- Gaint monster and boss are so multiplayer oriented. It's not impossible to solo with pawn or even without any pawns, just that it takes years to kill. If only they can have a system to will adjust their difficulty or their def depending on how many player is in the field/dungeon/area.

So yea, like one of the poster mention above, its a neutered dragon's dogma for solo experience player.

Now I did play with the quick party function and with some gaf'er. Yes, its fun to play with actual players than the dumb ai but the grindy aspect of mmo kinda ruin its fun after you repeat quests for experience or area points for area rank.
(I'm Man Hood in the clan)

my review of DDO.

I agree, and would add the following:

-Pawn commands are largely broken, with "follow" not forcing a pawn to run and "wait" still tethering them to you. You can never be more than 50 feet away from them, unless they get caught on some geometry (which they always seem to do at the wirst possible times). *This problem was present and widely criticized in the original DD in 2012.

-Enemy placement isn't randomized, it only changes slightly from day to night. This means that you're killing the same enemies in the same formations every time you pass through an area. *This problem was present and widely criticized in the original DD in 2012.

-Fast travel being locked behind a currency makes the world feel more boring and repetitive the longer you play, especially as later areas start costing 400-1000 RC to warp to.

-Weapon/armor loot is immensely rare, with even the final chests in the toughest dungeons rewarding you with a measly 600 gold or some lame crafting materials.

-Classes aren't nearly as versatile or empowering as in DD. Augments, skills and even methods of attack for each class have been drastically reduced compared to the original.

DDON totally lacks the hooks that the first game thrived on. Remember that first Ogre in the Everfall? How mindblowing it was to encounter something that was so overpowered, and to then have the option of tricking it into falling to its death? DDON would never let you do that, especially to a high level boss, because it undermines the linear progression that Capcom has decided is paramount to this experience, and the game suffers greatly for it. Finding a new boss monster isn't a "Holy crap, I'm going to have to use every tactic I can think of to take that thing out!" moment, but a "Well, here goes another 20 minutes of my life" slog.

stoic-lemon

Neo Member
Previous posts have nailed it. I never played the original so can't compare, but even though there are some cool mechanics, the mega long boss fights are just not fun to solo.

The lack of useful loot is annoying too. I spent about 30 minutes beating a giant cyclops and all I got was a health potion and a knife. I went from such elation to cursing the game in the space of a few seconds.

Also, what is a lvl30 ogre doing in a dungeon flagged as lvl12?

I'll keep playing until it gets too grindy, but I would love to try out voice chat since typing messages on the ps4 takes me ages.

Sectus

Uploaded some videos of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZpAhZQQKT0 - Sorcerer spells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E2LnP_2Bkk - Level 15 Grand Mission (they had this active as a network test for 2 hours. I tried it once and my one attempt ended up a bit silly with all the lag when playing with 7 Japanese players, and almost all of us were way over level)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYJ5CTeo9E - Level 21 chimera boss fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0n8hDbVec - Level 18 cyclops boss fight

The last page has been pretty negative on the game, but I'm still having a lot of fun. I definitely think it's a lot more fun to play in coop than solo. Rage bars are much faster to deal with, and the free to play aspect becomes a bit easier to handle without paying as one player can teleport and the other players follow for free.

Also, what is a lvl30 ogre doing in a dungeon flagged as lvl12?
This is something you'd see a lot in the original game too. The game tried to be a bit more interesting and mix in tougher enemies in areas where you wouldn't expect them.

Anko

That level 20 hunter skill is powerful. It augments your explosive shots too, allowing it to explode immediately on impact rather than having to trigger it manually. This deals decent damage and gives hunters a very good AOE skill.

I am currently working on unlocking the Sorcerer.

Has anyone tried using their 30 silver tickets yet? Does the loot scale with your level?

Parfait

Any warrior videos or streams? I need to see if i can recreate my old shorty with a ridiculous sword from the original.

Any warrior videos or streams? I need to see if i can recreate my old shorty with a ridiculous sword from the original.

No. Its not in the game yet. And it wont be in this game at least till the end of 2015.
And they will only put it in the game after element archer.

what a load of bullshit. NO WARRIOR. Is this even Dragon Dogma. I can only play fighter for so long...

Top Bottom