• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma online | Import OT | Black Bars be gone!

It'll probably happen with me too... but I am stuck on the character creation page, as usual.

An SnK Sasha clone seems possible... her as a seeker..? :D

Edit:
Ah..ermm.. nevermind. I forgot that I suck at character creation.

Yeah, I spent about an hour on the character select screen the first time. lol

Gonna upload a youtube vid later of Kalentan and I playing, was lots of fun, especially when we started taking out all the baddies down the well at the end.

Kalentan

Yeah, I spent about an hour on the character select screen the first time. lol

Gonna upload a youtube vid later of Kalentan and I playing, was lots of fun, especially when we started taking out all the baddies down the well at the end.

When I did that earlier, with just me and my pawn, it was really REALLY tough. As I couldn't do the grab thing as another would just slash me off. D:

Was also a lot of fun playing with another person. :)

Was I lag teleporting much? I know I got a few spikes of others doing that, but you weren't too bad.

Although, man, Dragon's Dogma co-op. Truly was tons of fun. So we could get 6 other people in a party with us and their pawns, right? I hope we can get there :D

Kalentan

Was I lag teleporting much? I know I got a few spikes of others doing that, but you weren't too bad.

Although, man, Dragon's Dogma co-op. Truly was tons of fun. So we could get 6 other people in a party with us and their pawns, right? I hope we can get there :D

There was times where I was following you, only for you to teleport to another location that left me briefly confused.

Also no. I think outside of the 8-man missions. You can only have...

2 people and 2 pawns, 3 people and 1 pawn (?), or 4 people and 0 pawns. And in those 8-man missions there is no pawns.

Wondering how that works, like if we're starting a party and we keep inviting people if it automatically calls back their pawn, or if we'd have to dismiss them on our own to do it?

So much to find out and explore still :) I still need to change my opening equipment and learn some damn skills! I love the spin slice and the running lunge attack, hope I can get them soon.

Word of warning: You can only use hired pawns a certain number of times before they become unavailable. I've been using the same two hires since yesterday, and now they're off limits.

Also, something REALLY has to be done about rage mode for bosses. Either their attacks need to deplete their stamina automatically, or there needs to be a time limit on how long they rage. As it is now, it slows the fight to a crawl.

Anko

Great... Now I need a name and look for my pawn. I don't suppose it will be possible to change the pawn's appearance or personality after creation?

Voice, at least, seems changeable to one of the paid ones.

Edit:
Nvm. Found the answer on the official site. Changing the appearance requires purchasing 黄金石. Voice and personality can be changed however many times we want.

Kalentan

I've been wondering about the progression of this game. Should I just stick to the main story and only do quests when I get locked out of the next one? Cause there's so many quests that I have in the starter area. I'm level 12 and have barely touched the place outside the church area from the pawn mission.

I've been wondering about the progression of this game. Should I just stick to the main story and only do quests when I get locked out of the next one? Cause there's so many quests that I have in the starter area. I'm level 12 and have barely touched the place outside the church area from the pawn mission.

Yes, the main story quests give great gear and unlock new systems, always prioritize them. The forest area will be important later, progression for me so far is Plains (lvl 1-10) -> Beach (lvl 10-20) -> Forest (lvl 20-30).

The F2P stuff is becoming more intrusive now though. The fact that you can only use hired pawns (which are 700-900 RC for me, I currently have about 6000 RC after reaching level 22 and have spent almost none of it) for a short time + having to choose between paying 180 RC for fast travel or spend 20 minutes on the journey is getting grating.

It seems like the further in you get, the more you'll have to choose between paying or wasting a large amount of time.

Boogins

Are nights dark as fuck and do you still need oil for your lanterns? Please say yes.

I don't find the open world that dark but for caves and dungeons I had to turn the lantern on. I don't know what the item is exactly because I can't read the text but you carry a spark item to light it instead of there being an amount of oil that you replenish like in the original game.

Sectus

Word of warning: You can only use hired pawns a certain number of times before they become unavailable. I've been using the same two hires since yesterday, and now they're off limits.

Also, something REALLY has to be done about rage mode for bosses. Either their attacks need to deplete their stamina automatically, or there needs to be a time limit on how long they rage. As it is now, it slows the fight to a crawl.

Are you grabbing onto the boss and tapping the "triangle" button (I think it's right mouse button for mouse/keyboard controls)? That move will rapidly deplete their rage gauge.

Wondering how that works, like if we're starting a party and we keep inviting people if it automatically calls back their pawn, or if we'd have to dismiss them on our own to do it?

So much to find out and explore still :) I still need to change my opening equipment and learn some damn skills! I love the spin slice and the running lunge attack, hope I can get them soon.

Only party leader can add pawns to a party. But what you can do is create a party, add your main pawn, temporarily set other player as party leader, and then they'll add their main pawn. 2 players and 2 pawns seems like a pretty good party set up in the game.

Juras

Are nights dark as fuck and do you still need oil for your lanterns? Please say yes.
Nope, this is "night", brithness at 20/100 (50 default):
RgmknSO.png

Vanilia Dogma for comparison:
wuIvz.jpg

Game look worse than oryginal Dogma,

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
RgmknSO.png

wuIvz.jpg

YOU MANIACS

YOU BRIGHTENED IT UP

giphy.gif

I knew this would happen. They kept the goodness of the combat intact since people were most vocal about that, but they're messing up all the other things I loved about the game.

Are you grabbing onto the boss and tapping the "triangle" button (I think it's right mouse button for mouse/keyboard controls)? That move will rapidly deplete their rage gauge.

Yes, but that still takes forever with only one player. Pawns can't do this effectively, they either jump off or get knocked off immediately, so you're left humping a Cyclops's spine for 2-3 minutes while your pawns ineffectively nip at it's heels. And that's not getting into the bosses that are much less safe and easy to climb than the cyclops.

Sectus

Yes, but that still takes forever with only one player. Pawns can't do this effectively, they either jump off or get knocked off immediately, so you're left humping a Cyclops's spine for 2-3 minutes while your pawns ineffectively nip at it's heels. And that's not getting into the bosses that are much less safe and easy to climb than the cyclops.

I've had several boss fights last an extremely long time, but it's never been due to the rage bar. I just recorded some footage earlier, and looking at the footage of one boss fight which lasted 6 minutes and 36 seconds, 2 minutes of that was the boss being in rage mode, which seems like a fair amount.

HyperHip

Maintenance strikes again, guess i'll play Splatoon till it comes back. Been waiting like a fiend to actually sink into this!

gnomed

Maintenance strikes again, guess i'll play Splatoon till it comes back. Been waiting like a fiend to actually sink into this!
I guess I can enjoy the rest of the night instead of playing this game that won't let me play it. Mmmm, seasonal beer.

Qvoth

i think i'm going to be either archer or shield sage
how good are they in multiplayer parties?
what type of pawn should i be aiming for?
this is my 1st dragon's dogma haha

Just got home from work, gonna pop online in a bit to level up some more.

Hit me up if anyone wants to party :D

I'm soooooo close to dedicate myself to jump through all the damn hoops to play the game

Do it!

One of us, One of us! ;p

i think i'm going to be either archer or shield sage
how good are they in multiplayer parties?
what type of pawn should i be aiming for?
this is my 1st dragon's dogma haha

Couldn't tell you on the first two, as I'm a fighter, but definitely try to check out the first game sometime, it's still abaolutely amazing even with playing this :)

Having a Pawn as a Priest is nice, that way you can some heals and you can hack away at the enemies when they're drawn to them.

Anko

I applied for the GamingAgeF clan as Ophelia.

Surprised to see that no one has joined yet. There's a 3,000R present if you join a clan during the campaign period so I urge everyone to join during the campaign period by either the 10th or 17th September. We will need at least 4 members to qualify for it.

And remember to collect your daily consecutive login bonuses by talking to that NPC under the tent. Her name is .. Ophelia オフィリア. She is near the teleport stone. The first option when you talk to her is for recovery 復活力の回復, the second for login bonuses ログインスタンプ.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I applied for the GamingAgeF clan as Ophelia.

Surprised to see that no one has joined yet. There's a 3,000R present if you join a clan during the campaign period so I urge everyone to join during the campaign period by either the 10th or 17th September. We will need at least 4 members to qualify for it.

How does one join?

The F2P stuff is becoming more intrusive now though. The fact that you can only use hired pawns (which are 700-900 RC for me, I currently have about 6000 RC after reaching level 22 and have spent almost none of it) for a short time + having to choose between paying 180 RC for fast travel or spend 20 minutes on the journey is getting grating.

It seems like the further in you get, the more you'll have to choose between paying or wasting a large amount of time.

is normal. It's called a progress wall, explained some in this thread.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/124429-dragons-dogma-online/72324411/829403471

Just wonder if the language barrier and navigating the pay system makes Capcom waste their time with foreigners. Capcom can't earn money on people that can't comprehend the payment system and are too scared to sign up to payment schemes they have no recourse should something go wrong. It's just a waste of server resources to let them play some people say lol.

Anko

What do you mean by only being able to use hired pawns? You can't use your own pawn?

Damerman

How is everyone liking it so far?

the combat and animations are still there... but for sure this game was neutered compared to DD. You can't pick up most stuff like you could in the old games... the world isn't as seamless as it once was, but the game would definitely be more enjoyable if it was in english. I'm waiting for the english patches to go much further before i hop back on. The combat and animations are definitely the bread and butter of this game. but all this game does is make me realize how valuable DD being single player is.

I still want dragon's dogma dark arisen for PC. :/

Qvoth

finally tried the game, made a hunter
maybe i'm just bad at the game or something but i'm not enjoying hunter's gameplay, think i'll switch to fighter or some shit
is there respec in the game? or will you have enough job points to max every skills when capped?

apav

Excellent guide! I've decided that I'm going to try this game out.

I know this might be a subjective question, but do you guys think this game is better suited for console or PC? I'm deciding whether to play it on PS4 or not. I'm sure the game looks even better on PC, and unless it's a super demanding game I'll probably get 60+fps at 1440p on ultra.

Maybe I'll try both. Can you log into both the pc and ps4 versions using the same COG ID? I know at least for the Playstation versions it'll link my PSN. And for the PS4 version, can you disable the proxy after logging in and still be able to play like you do with the PC version and a VPN?

Thanks a bunch!

Kalentan

I know this might be a subjective question, but do you guys think this game is better suited for console or PC? I'm deciding whether to play it on PS4 or not. I'm sure the game looks even better on PC, and unless it's a super demanding game I'll probably get 60+fps at 1440p on ultra.

Maybe I'll try both. Can you log into both the pc and ps4 versions using the same COG ID? I know at least for the Playstation versions it'll link my PSN. And for the PS4 version, can you disable the proxy after logging in and still be able to play like you do with the PC version and a VPN?

Thanks a bunch!

It's just preference, though I do feel combat is more fun with a controller.

The ps4 is max settings at 60fps and 1080p. It's not exactly a looker even on PC.

I'm pretty sure you can log on on both pc and ps4.

No on ps4 you need proxy or a Vpn from a computer that can host it wifi.

HyperHip

Got rocked by some lvl. 10 skeletons, and opted to go back to the Inn, how do I get rid of this status effect thingy on me?

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I don't find the open world that dark but for caves and dungeons I had to turn the lantern on. I don't know what the item is exactly because I can't read the text but you carry a spark item to light it instead of there being an amount of oil that you replenish like in the original game.

Thanks. That's a huge bummer.

Akiller

RgmknSO.png

wuIvz.jpg

Damn, i'm playing Dark Arisen right now and indeed the night "atmosphere" is really cool
then wolves come.

HyperHip

Figures I could just wait this status effect out, thank god. Just one more level until I can join the GAF guild!

Also I noticed I haven't met randoms in the main fields which is kind of disappointing, but whatever.

gnomed

Man, I can't find a quick cheatsheet for some of the options. Some of these guides are pretty in-depth though. Still can't find camera inversion and I like how my character is armor less when I switch vocations lol. I am enjoying it so far, switched from a fighter to hunter. It seems the lighting is worst than Dark Arisen, but it runs pretty well and looks clean.

Qvoth

Figures I could just wait this status effect out, thank god. Just one more level until I can join the GAF guild!

Also I noticed I haven't met randoms in the main fields which is kind of disappointing, but whatever.

the game is only mmo when you're in the city i think, field outside is instanced? so you'll never see other people unless you're in the same party, that's how i understood it

Kaspanova

Neo Member
There is a weekend event going on and Google translate is not doing much to help my understanding of this.

Any ideas? Looks like some good rewards, Don't want to miss out.

Preparation period: September 5, 2015 (Saturday) 18:00 September 6 (Sun) 10:00

held Period: September 6, 2015 (Sun) 10:00 to 16:00

reward receives period: 2015 September 6 year (Sun) 17:00 to 18:00

Guritten fort battle!
https://members.dd-on.jp/info/detail/2/236

I feel like pawns are more of a hindrance than a help with a lot of bosses.

Just took on a cyclops with a club, and my pawns were dying every two seconds. They're too stupid to know when to approach (my priest would literally wait until the boss was swinging its club all over, then run over to it and get mauled), and their incompetence forces you to endanger yourself to save them. I let my pawns die and didn't bother reviving them, and solo'd the boss without getting hit after that point (unfortunately, the rage mode mechanic made the fight last 20 minutes).

I'm very curious to see how people will react when they reach this point in the game, since it no longer feels fun compared to the early hours. The progress wall is real.

Kalentan

YoroshiQ.

So that's 5, is that everyone or are some still leveling to 10?
If we got 8 we could do GrandQuests 'n stuff.

I think we have some level 10 who aren't in the guild yet.

Also I need to kill an Cyclops in some ruins for my level 10 quest... it's orange shield appeared and it's taking forever to get through.

Sectus

I was curious how the PS3 version performs, so I recorded a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLcmM-J37m4
PC footage of same fights and areas (I imagine PS4 version would perform and look similar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGLWr-qhbyw

Compared to DD: DA, they managed to get a full screen image this time, but the framerate is still very much bad. Seems like it's dropping around a third of the frames during fights.

Loading times aren't actually all that different between PS3 and PC (14 seconds on PS3, 11 seconds on PC), but then again, PS3 is loading in assets of a much smaller size, and I imagine PC version would load lightning fast from an SSD.

Thanks a bunch!
Yes, you can use same COG id on both PC and consoles. You can't disable proxy on PS4 unless you hook up the PS4's internet to a PC and manage it there. One huge advantage of the PC version is that you can play with a mod which translates parts of the game to English. One annoying thing with the PC version is that if you play with a gamepad, you get generic numbers as button prompts rather than xbox or playstation prompts.

the game is only mmo when you're in the city i think, field outside is instanced? so you'll never see other people unless you're in the same party, that's how i understood it

Yeah, the game is fully instanced outside cities. Heck, it's even player hosted once you step out of a city.

I feel like pawns are more of a hindrance than a help with a lot of bosses.

Just took on a cyclops with a club, and my pawns were dying every two seconds. They're too stupid to know when to approach (my priest would literally wait until the boss was swinging its club all over, then run over to it and get mauled), and their incompetence forces you to endanger yourself to save them. I let my pawns die and didn't bother reviving them, and solo'd the boss without getting hit after that point (unfortunately, the rage mode mechanic made the fight last 20 minutes).

I'm very curious to see how people will react when they reach this point in the game, since it no longer feels fun compared to the early hours. The progress wall is real.

I definitely get the impression boss fights are balanced around playing with human players. I did a bunch of story quests with another player (so 2 players and 2 pawns in the party), and that felt like a good balance. Rage bars go down super quick if you have two human players pulling on the boss constantly.

stoic-lemon

Neo Member
Micks Pizza applied to join the clan.

I keep getting beaten up by anything bigger than a skeleton. My arrows do very little damage.

Top Bottom