• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma online | Import OT | Black Bars be gone!

Kalentan

If any of you PS4 users have an extra wireless device, it might be worth it to try sharing VPN'd internet from a computer with your PS4 so you can disable the VPN after login without interrupting your connection.

What kind of wireless device (Like a router or one of those wi-fi devices you can connect to a desktop to get Wi-Fi?) and is it possible to do it on a school network? (Since VPN's work on computers.)

Aeana

What kind of wireless device (Like a router or one of those wi-fi devices you can connect to a desktop to get Wi-Fi?) and is it possible to do it on a school network? (Since VPN's work on computers.)
Any that can connect to a wireless network can be used to broadcast a wireless signal too. You can also do it wired. Grab school internet on your PC, enable VPN, share internet either via a second wireless device or an Ethernet cable to your PS4.

Kalentan

Any that can connect to a wireless network can be used to broadcast a wireless signal too. You can also do it wired. Grab school internet on your PC, enable VPN, share internet either via a second wireless device or an Ethernet cable to your PS4.

Okay.

So... I have one of these... (Not exactly this one but you get the idea.)

1__16536_zoom.jpg

Could I use this?

Or can I plug my Ethernet from my PS4 into my laptop and use that? I really need to know so my Proxy woes can be gone. :(

Aeana

Okay.

So... I have one of these... (Not exactly this one but you get the idea.)

http://www.techdna.co.uk/product_images/b/169/1__16536_zoom.jpg[IMG]

Could I use this?

Or can I plug my Ethernet from my PS4 into my laptop and use that? I really need to know so my Proxy woes can be gone. :([/QUOTE]

You don't need that. You can run the ethernet cable directly from the PS4 to the laptop, provided your laptop is connecting to the internet via wireless. Then you simply need to set up internet sharing to share the internet via the ethernet.

How you do this depends on your laptop's OS, but it's very easy.

Damn, i throught bosses had wayy more hp than OG Dark Arisen. I then realized they covered that up with like 10 hp bars where the bar got refilled until the dots under the bar itself went empty. This one just goes with regular HP bar. I was all "maan, why did they do that change?" Until i realized. Bars getting empty quicker felt a bit more satisfying i guess.

I was also kinda dissapointed with some combat changes at first, an example was how you could delay a regular light hit and it would turn into an alternative combo. That was until i realized you unlocked it as a core skill at like lvl 9, so i guess that took care of that.
I really like the world too. While i guess the game aint pretty in any technical way, but the envoriment is so damn pretty anyway. The tavern is coozy as hell, the grass plains are really pretty and the caves are atmospheric as hell. Even music is on par with the original DD soundtrack so far.

This game is straight up 10/10 for me so far. I just hope i don't encounter some crazy paywall later in the game.

Kalentan

You don't need that. You can run the ethernet cable directly from the PS4 to the laptop, provided your laptop is connecting to the internet via wireless. Then you simply need to set up internet sharing to share the internet via the ethernet.

How you do this depends on your laptop's OS, but it's very easy.

Okay so I...

Attach my PS4 Ethernet to my laptop which is using VPN via Wi-Fi. I then click on the option to share. I then change my settings on my PS4 to ethernet and it should work?

Damn, was hoping I wouldn't need to use Wi-Fi. :(

Kalentan

Success!

I found out my laptop is capable of hosting a Wi-Fi connection. So I downloaded Virtual Router Manager and began to host the VPN... My only wonder... Can a computer host a VPN but not use it itself?

Did the servers just go down for maintenance? I was in but got kicked. There's a message up that has a time on it 10:00 - 14:00 @_@

Ugh, four hour maintenance just as I'm reaching the end of a quest. Why is this an always-online MMO again? I've seen literally zero justification thus far, it seems like DD with co-op and buried microtransactions.

I'd pay $40 for an offline/asynchronous version in a heartbeat.

Sykotik

This is rough with me not knowing any useful Japanese.

Took me longer than I'd like to admit to complete the skill tutorial quest.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ugh, four hour maintenance just as I'm reaching the end of a quest. Why is this an always-online MMO again? I've seen literally zero justification thus far, it seems like DD with co-op and buried microtransactions.

I'd pay $40 for an offline/asynchronous version in a heartbeat.
Because this way it will make money for years and it will be way more than a measly $40 per user. :)

Because this way it will make money for years and it will be way more than a measly $40 per user. :)

I mean, I've seen like no reason to touch any of the microtransactions in this game so far. I'd imagine the vast majority of players won't ever spend a dime on them.

I feel like this game is only F2P because Capcom is nearly out of money, to the point where their Panta Rhei engine hasn't seen the light of day and their other planned F2P game, Deep Down, was evidently too ambitious/costly and is now likely vaporware. Maybe if they were satisfied making a solid $40-60 per user, they'd still be able to put out AAA games without the support of other publishers.

Capcom is simultaneously one of the best developers and one of the worst publishers in the entire industry. Their endless supplies of talent and creativity have been totally poisoned by their business practices.

CN8C8SGUsAAWvzQ.jpg

Look familiar? :D

So, after spending about a half a dozen hours with the game, I can easily say I enjoy this much more than FFXIV. 60 FPS, smooth combat, being able to climb up the enemies like in DD, the music is great too.

Imagining how much I'd enjoy it if I could understand all the text. xD

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I mean, I've seen like no reason to touch any of the microtransactions in this game so far. I'd imagine the vast majority of players won't ever spend a dime on them.

I feel like this game is only F2P because Capcom is nearly out of money, to the point where their Panta Rhei engine hasn't seen the light of day and their other planned F2P game, Deep Down, was evidently too ambitious/costly and is now likely vaporware. Maybe if they were satisfied making a solid $40-60 per user, they'd still be able to put out AAA games without the support of other publishers.

Capcom is simultaneously one of the best developers and one of the worst publishers in the entire industry. Their endless supplies of talent and creativity have been totally poisoned by their business practices.
It's not that uncommon for Japanese F2P MMOs to not be full of atrocious microtransactions. Granted I've only played a few of them, but it feels like people usually pay only if they're "power users" and want to get the most of out the game, grind more effectively etc.

That said, wasn't there a campaign at launch which granted everyone the effect of the 1500 (?) yen monthly Adventurer's Pack for 3 days?

Also, I don't know how bad it is in the full release, but during the beta Gacha items way stronger than anything you could get/craft on the same level.

vilmer_

Guys and gals, make sure to check out THIS site that's listed in the op if you are having trouble with the language barrier, especially for the early quests.

What's error E-99-06? Proxy still works but I can't continue downloading the +5GB patch.

edit: ah so it's maintenance?

There's a 4 hour maintenence going on.

Just when I was planning to let it download overnight at those terrible speeds and be ready to play the next morning...

Kalentan

Is the servers down again? I'm having issues logging in. Like for some reason in the login box, it loading up the Capcom Online Games browser.

megabadd

This game is a lot more fun than I expected it to be and the gameplay is what I've wanted from an Action MMO. I like that low level mobs can still kill me if I don't take them seriously, and that I can kill things well above my level with good tactics.

This game is a lot more fun than I expected it to be and the gameplay is what I've wanted from an Action MMO. I like that low level mobs can still kill me if I don't take them seriously, and that I can kill things well above my level with good tactics.

Yep and the fact you can destroy monsters without getting hit once. The combat is so damn satisfying.

Thrilled with the game, just hoping an official English release happens.

Kalentan

Yep and the fact you can destroy monsters without getting hit once. The combat is so damn satisfying.

Thrilled with the game, just hoping an official English release happens.

I really hope an English version comes along... But personally, unlike say PSO2 (which I did play the Japanese version for a bit), the gameplay in this game is just TOOOO good to give up.

Pop

This is rough with me not knowing any useful Japanese.

Took me longer than I'd like to admit to complete the skill tutorial quest.

I would enjoy this much more if I could understand any of it. I'm going to be quitting until further translations are out.

Great game, really enjoy the combat.

CN8C8SGUsAAWvzQ.jpg

Look familiar? :D

So, after spending about a half a dozen hours with the game, I can easily say I enjoy this much more than FFXIV. 60 FPS, smooth combat, being able to climb up the enemies like in DD, the music is great too.

Imagining how much I'd enjoy it if I could understand all the text. xD

Yup. It's fun being a baka gaijin though

docbon

Alright I'm going to work for 4 hours... SOMEONE better apply to the guild by then. :(

GAF guild is so lonely.

I think the VPN fuckery needed to play the game, combined with the wall that is playing something in a foreign language makes this uber niche status.

Also, the Discord chat invite I linked earlier in the thread was temporary. Oops. Here's a permanent one, for anyone wanting to chat or party up in game.

Quote to reveal.

Has anyone seen a translation of the Stat distribution for pawn crafting?

From top to bottom:

Work speed
Equipment enhancement skill
HQ equipment making skill
Consumable production quantity up
Cost performance (guessing this has to do with number of items used per craft, not 100% sure yet)

Man, the rage modes that bosses go into are a huge buzzkill. You're doing great damage, then the boss gets their stamina gauge and you have to hump them for a few minutes to return them to normal. Or you can shoot weak points that seem to appear and disappear at random for a similarly long time.

Pawns are pretty useless with this too, since most either never attempt to climb the boss or get knocked off immediately. Hopefully Capcom alters this in the future.

Alright I'm going to work for 4 hours... SOMEONE better apply to the guild by then. :(

GAF guild is so lonely.

Worth noting that I don't think guilds are cross-platform. I've looked for the GAF guild a number of times on a bunch of different servers on PC, no results each time.

Sectus

Almost got the sorcerer class unlocked! Just need to do 2 quests and level myself up to 20, and I can finally start casually walking around casting bolide everywhere.

Cheers!

In that case, if I can bring myself to work out the VPN stuffs for PS4 I'll be all over it.

Just about all the mechanics from Dragon's Dogma 1 are still here. The only big thing missing is that you can't lift up and throw small enemies anymore. I've also noticed some missing attacks from enemies (like the dogs can't grab you and pull you away anymore). Maybe they removed those for netcode reasons?

Anyway, overall, the game plays great and they've also added and changed some stuff for the better. The netcode is also great. I've played with a couple of friends and the lag is very minimal. The game is player hosted by the way, so playing on Japanese servers doesn't add any lag.

Another maintenance going on?
Yup. It's 2 hours long (unless they extend it like the one yesterday).

Top Bottom