• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Cyntec

I wouldn't trust IGN on framerate, because I've heard the ps3 version dives pretty bad in the final version, even though they could be wrong, but I would wait for a comparison and confirmation.

Edit: uh I would still like an install option :( i hope they patch it in

Slowdowns mainly occur when saving or when too many magical effects appear at once.

Any word if it runs ok when installed on Xbox? I prefer the xbox pad.

Uninstalled it suffers huge framerate drops when loading on the 360. Otherwise the framerate on the 360 version is superior to the PS3 version. PS3 version suffers a consistently lower framerate than the 360, but the drops during loads are much less severe. The 360 version installed suffers none of the huge drops during loads (obviously). Tearing in the final on 360 apparently still an issue. All this info comes from people that bought the game early from Capcom and not from people playing preview builds. Not sure what happened to the story about the PS3 version doing a forced install. People are saying it isn't.

Cyntec

Any word if it runs ok when installed on Xbox? I prefer the xbox pad.

speedlink-xeox-wireless-ps3-controller.jpg

... so then you don't have arguments anymore ^^

Anteater

Totally.

Instead of the community user created pawns you get random (system) generated pawns.

This game is awesome, I'm fucking enjoying it my GOTY so far :)

btw, when is the Berserk DLC launching?

Capcom says the Berserk stuff isn't DLCs, they are in the game as a reward for a certain questline from what we've been told

Lucent

Ironcreed seems to be enjoying it so far after 9 hours or so and he hasn't mentioned much in the way of technical flaws, so I'm assuming it's not a big deal.

Uninstalled it suffers huge framerate drops when loading on the 360. Otherwise the framerate on the 360 version is superior to the PS3 version. PS3 version suffers a consistently lower framerate than the 360, but the drops during loads are much less severe. The 360 version installed suffers none of the huge drops during loads (obviously). Tearing in the final on 360 apparently still an issue. All this info comes from people that bought the game early from Capcom and not from people playing preview builds. Not sure what happened to the story about the PS3 version doing a forced install. People are saying it isn't.

The PS3 version (final build) still has a consistently lower frame rate than the 360 version according to who? I don't think we've had a proper comparison yet, so I'll wait for Digital Foundry and see if they pick up anything.

Schwabe

So you're gonna spend 144 hours playing before you go to sleep? lol =p

no, not really. i'm not that young anymore :p

Say what? I thought there was a 4.5GB install...

i thought that too and it was me who posted it. i read it in a preview/review (i think it was gamepro.de). but maybe it was kind of a placeholder for PS3-Tests and they forgot to delete it.

that's why we shouldn't trust reviews at all ;o)

But yeah, Capcom loves PlayStation (let's forget about Monster Hunter for a minute ... )

Ironcreed, can you check your PS3 Game Data and see if there was a stealth install? Apparently, the game will install while you're playing; not before the game starts like most PS3 games with installs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ironcreed seems to be enjoying it so far after 9 hours or so and he hasn't mentioned much in the way of technical flaws, so I'm assuming it's not a big deal.

IIRC he said the demo performed fine as well, which a lot of people disagree with.

Lucent

IIRC he said the demo performed fine as well, which a lot of people disagree with.

Yeah well I didn't notice anything wrong with the demo either. A slight slowdown during the prologue when the dragon breaths fire that one time is something that didn't bother me at all. I'm thinking the people who claim it was "unplayable" have had their eyes spoiled from PC gaming and such. The game ran smoothly for me. Especially in the Griffin battle. You move so fast. I think people are just blowing the demo issues out of proportion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah well I didn't notice anything wrong with the demo either. A slight slowdown during the prologue when the dragon breaths fire that one time is something that didn't bother me at all. I'm thinking the people who claim it was "unplayable" have had their eyes spoiled from PC gaming and such. The game ran smoothly for me. Especially in the Griffin battle. You move so fast. I think people are just blowing the demo issues out of proportion.

People just have varying levels of what they can take. Some people don't notice framedrops/tearing at all, others get annoyed by it, others get actual motion sickness and headaches from it.

I had issues with the performance of the demo, so I'm more interested in hearing how it is for someone who also complained a lot about it. I honestly wish I didn't notice this stuff. :p

Erasus

30fps solid is now being spoiled?

Really? :/

I will wait for the DF "review". The framerate on the ps3 demo bothered me, it seemed like 25-30fps but drops in fights. In an action game/rpg with real time combat they should have prioritized fps...

Lucent

30fps solid is now being spoiled?

Really? :/

I will wait for the DF "review". The framerate on the ps3 demo bothered me, it seemed like 25-30fps but drops in fights. In an action game/rpg with real time combat they should have prioritized fps...

I meant people coming from PC where games are usually always at least like 60fps or where they can reach even higher (which is crazy) if their rig allows it. 30fps is def not spoiled.

I just know the demo didn't bother me.

Erasus

I meant people coming from PC where games are usually always at least like 60fps or where they can reach even higher (which is crazy) if their rig allows it. 30fps is def not spoiled.

I just know the demo didn't bother me.

I am a PC gamer and 30fps is fine to me.

But the Dragons Dogma PS3 demo is not 30fps

Kolgar

So the photo mode sounds cool. Any word on how (or if) that feature works on 360? Can you offload from a USB stick, or do you have to go through a web page like Forza 4?

Cyntec

ah, btw: don't know if this has been cleared out yet, but the level-cap isn't 100 but 200. I haven't spend so much time to confirm that myself, but Capcom told me when I asked.

Lach

I hate that America gets this game 2 days early. Though that probably means that there will be a number of pawns already when I get to play the game.

ironcreed

Banned
Ironcreed, can you check your PS3 Game Data and see if there was a stealth install? Apparently, the game will install while you're playing; not before the game starts like most PS3 games with installs.

On the back of the box it says 10MB required and that's it. I was expecting an install as well, but nope. I'll check my data later just to be sure, though.

As far as technical flaws go, the only minor gripe is when the framerate sometimes stutters for a few seconds when the game auto-saves and the camera can be a pain in tight corners here and there. Other than that it looks, runs and plays fine.

Spazznid

I'm a pc gamer, and I play ALL of my games at 60+ fps. I own a 580 GTX and plan on getting a 680. I absolutely cannot play pc games at sub 45 fps, unless they are in beta or are mmo/strategy style.

I love console games, however and plan on getting DD on PS3.
I noticed barely any Tearing on 360 and barely any unreasonable slowdown on PS3.
I played the 360 version, and while I can kind of see the improvement in fps, It's not there if I don't look for it, and I prefer Sony either way, as I have been raped by Microsoft one too many times to really desire a mostly offline game on the Xbox.

Even had I not had a terrible disposition towards MS, Both versions are nearly identical.

ironcreed

Banned
IGN says that it puts all of it's efforts into combat and character development like that is a bad thing. As for the story suffering as a result, I don't see it. Sure, some of the characters have some funny animations, but the voice acting is more than solid and you are left wondering what being the Arisen means and what is behind it all.

As far as fantasy games go, I would say it's pretty cool if you are into this sort of thing. I think it will pan out to be much deeper than being the Dragonborn, and it is a hell of a lot more fun to play. For that matter, what about games like Dark Souls that put all of the focus on atmosphere, growth and gameplay? Does it get slammed for it's lack of compelling story? There is definitely much more of one in Dragon's Dogma, that is for sure. Just sayin'.

Derrick01

Banned

I'm a PC gamer too but I can still play red dead and dark souls on PS3, the latter reaching what looks like 12-15fps at times with minimal problems. A consistent framerate, no matter what it is, doesn't bother me as much as my PC struggling with a game and constantly jumping between 40-60.

ironcreed

Banned
GodisaGeek review- 9.0

VERDICT: I never thought I would find myself in the position where I enjoyed such a hardcore role playing game, a title which can be categorised alongside the likes of Dark Souls and Skyrim. But Capcom make it easy to fall in love with Dragon’s Dogma, thanks to the incredible amount of things you can see and do, and how you can find yourself fully immersed it Gransys within minutes of embarking upon your first quest.

There are flaws though. The lack of signposting and the fact that you are unable to use quick, teleportation style travel in what is a huge game world, will not appeal to some. At times, the background graphics can seem a bit bland, and some of the voice acting can be mildly irritating. But you simply have to tip your hat to Itsuno-san for taking the plunge and giving the likes of the Elder Scrolls a genuine run for its money. There will not be many better RPGs released in 2012, and rest assured that if there are, none of them will have a theme song better than this one.

Full review here:

http://www.godisageek.com/2012/05/dragons-dogma-review/

ironcreed

Banned
Me too. No mandatory install on the PS3. . . according to that reviewer. Probably doesn't understand that many PS3 games cache automatically.

The back of the box says that there is only 10MB required. When I first popped it in the other day I was expecting an install screen, but it just loaded right up. I'll still look later to see if it stealth installed at all. Plays fine on PS3, though.

While running this weekend the desire to create Rin and Manji from Blade of the Immortal as my main and pawn popped into my head. But no, I could never abandon my Breath of Fire: Dragon's Dogma playthrough with Ryu and Nina

creid

I'd really like to get release day delivery & the $10 credit from Amazon, but having real trouble deciding on a platform:

PS3
- (might be?) the lead platform
- if anyone I know ever gets it (which is kind of unlikely) they would probably get this version
- seems to have less pop-in problems

- I'd rather have achievements than trophies (though if PS3 really is the lead platform, I'll ignore this one)
- earlier RE6 demo
- MT Framework games seem to run better on 360

Someone push me over the edge! I've only got 8 hours to decide.

IGN says that it puts all of it's efforts into combat and character development like that is a bad thing. As for the story suffering as a result, I don't see it. Sure, some of the characters have some funny animations, but the voice acting is more than solid and you are left wondering what being the Arisen means and what is behind it all.

As far as fantasy games go, I would say it's pretty cool if you are into this sort of thing. I think it will pan out to be much deeper than being the Dragonborn, and it is a hell of a lot more fun to play. For that matter, what about games like Dark Souls that put all of the focus on atmosphere, growth and gameplay? Does it get slammed for it's lack of compelling story? There is definitely much more of one in Dragon's Dogma, that is for sure. Just sayin'.

In my experience, reviewers only criticize the story when they're out of other things to criticize. It's seemingly random what games are allowed to pass unscathed with their shitty stories unmentioned, and which games are not. DD was not so fortunate, it seems, if indeed its story is shit (though I don't think it is, and can't imagine how it could be any worse than Skyrim's or Amalur's).

In some instances, a bad story will be handwaved with a comment like "this game is all about rewarding gameplay, and doesn't waste the player's time with a rudimentary story"...a sentiment that gets pulled out by both critics and fans in equal measure. But other times a reviewer will actively count a game's story against it. It's totally arbitrary and I've learned to ignore it. In fact I've known I was going to get this game before any of the reviews dropped, so there's that.

Regarding the concept of the "Chosen One", which has been exceedingly popular in open-world RPGs lately: it's very easy to fuck up. I love Skyrim to death, but I think Skyrim fucked up. It's never made exactly clear what a Dragonborn is, what they're supposed to do, and how they can be recognized as a Nordic culture hero while being a hated Altmer, for example. You're supposed to be the greatest Dragon Slayer in the world, but the thing that makes you special (your Shouts) aren't particularly effective against dragons to begin with. You're effectively the "Chosen One" for the sake of being the "Chosen One". It felt hollow, and restricted my roleplaying possibilities.

Amalur did a much better job of this. It's very obvious why you're special, and you can grasp the implications of it quite easily. In a world governed by fate, you are not. You can be anyone, of any race, of any gender, and it makes sense. You're not special for who you are, but for what happened to you.

It's my hope for DD's story that it errs on the Amalur side of things. I don't mind being the "Chosen One", but it has to make sense in the world I'm in. I want to feel special while not feeling legendary and godlike, as is the case in Skyrim. If DD can explain what has happened to me, explains why I should care, and resolves my journey in a satisfying way, then DD's story will be aces in my book.

Tomorrow can not come soon enough! Oh, and count me in the camp that doesn't notice PS3's consistently lower framerate through all the awesome that's occuring on-screen. Game looks gorgeous.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Me too. No mandatory install on the PS3. . . according to that reviewer. Probably doesn't understand that many PS3 games cache automatically.

I'm not sure what you are insinuating, but the PS3 does not have hidden per game cache files. If there is no install required, there is no install. The amount listed on the box is an (over) estimate of what the game needs, there is no secret stuff eating the HD.

fallingdove

I'd really like to get release day delivery & the $10 credit from Amazon, but having real trouble deciding on a platform:

PS3
- if anyone I know ever gets it (which is kind of unlikely) they would probably get this version

- I'd rather have achievements than trophies (though if PS3 really is the lead platform, I'll ignore this one)
- earlier RE6 demo

The reviews I have been reading seem to indicate that the PS3 version runs better this time around.

owlbeak

So how open world is this game exactly? Can you go anywhere you want, even if you're going to get your ass completely annihilated?

PS3

- earlier RE6 demo

Get it on 360 if you can install it. The lead platform is the same as all MT Framework games - PC.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Historically MT ran better, what was the last MT game before DD? Lost Planet 2? 360 had the edge there, but that was a while back.

fallingdove

IGN said:
Character models are pretty terrible, but the architecture, creatures and scenery are well-designed.

I don't get this criticism. (And I have seen the same criticism scattered across other reviews as well.) Pretty terrible compared to what? From my experience with the demo, the models are better than Skyrim, and Dark Souls by a country mile. It could be that by including your customized characters in cut scenes, the game forces you to see your characters, and all their awkwardness, more often, but isn't that the point of customizing a character - so you can see them?

Top Bottom