• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Got my copy and played the first missions till I reached level 10.

I created a Strider. Very fast and fun to play. The ranged attacks combined with fire magic are a bit overpowered. Goblins fall in two or three shots.

360 version has a better framerate than PS3 demo I tried a few weeks ago, also, it seems that the demo was an older build.

The final version looks so solid.

eXistor

Anyone else calling in off work this Tuesday?

I will be paid briefly to sit at home and play DD. Bliss.
4 days off just to play DD my man :)

My PC got busted a week ago (using ps3 to browse atm...) so Diablo III is a no-go for me (I wasn't that excited for it anyway) and having almost finished Max Payne 3 (disappointing to say the least) DD was always gonna be the one for me. I' m sure it won't disappoint though. I'm gonna try to pull an all-nighter for old times' sake too. I just haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

sublimit

Banned
I read some info way back that... when you share your pawn's pics on Facebook or Twitter - the image itself has some info on the pawn that users can use it or something on your game?

Is this still valid?

I remember Itsuno said this in one of his streams but i'd like to hear some confirmation from those who have the game as well.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm jealous of some of you. Doesn't look like I'll be able to pick this up until around E3 time when I'll be watching over a friend's cats, at least I'll have this to keep me busy though.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Here is a bit more of my first impressions. This is what I posted over on Unity.

Happy to report that the PS3 version looks and runs great, with ony a bit of stutter when the game auto-saves sometimes. But that is only for a few seconds when it even does it. The game is precisely as advertised. If you love what has been so freely shown, then you will feel right at home and love it once you start playing.

Enemies within your level range are fair game, but be careful how far you wonder off. As you can get in trouble fast and will be quickly reminded just how mortal you really are - despite still walking around with your heart ripped out. It's this that gives the world a real sense of danger and that is something lacking in most games within this genre these days. It actually feels like an adventure.

All in all, I am still in the early goings and I can already tell that it is going to be a time sink that I will love every minute of and will come back to replay many times. Underneath things like some quirkiness here and there with some of the NPCs, a finicky camera in tight corners or maybe not the sharpest textures in places, there is a very special game in a world that feels alive and is brimming with attention to detail. In short, it delivers on being something that feels unique on the whole.

34542138_awesome_gif.gif

Anteater

No probs. Just an FYI that I have a pretty unvarnished view of games and I love games so even if I have a little issues here or there and I talk about them I don't play a game if it isn't Fun. That is all I care about. I don't care about reviews, previews, bad GFX, or whatever I just care if it puts a smile on my face:) And frankly this game is damn fun despite any little issues

Also as a new IP and the way the story has been going. I can see there being a sequel perhaps even in a different land or based in the same world but different occurrences.

Let us know what you think of the game when you complete it! It's nice reading gaffer's impression :D

CTE

Twitch cops killed the stream :(

Anybody got any other stream links?

They've done the same to other people. It will be that way until Tuesday. I can't find one that stays up.

Edit- What if Capcom reps are following his thread and others getting the links? That would explain how some have been found so fast. They could just email the mods of the sites and tell them to take it down or face suing.

Grumbul

They've done the same to other people. It will be that way until Tuesday. I can't find one that stays up.

Edit- What if Capcom reps are following his thread and others getting the links? That would explain how some have been found so fast. They could just email the mods of the sites and tell them to take it down or face suing.

Quite possibly, but then again if Capcom were really that bothered you'd think they'd have sent takedown requests for the Let's Play that is up on YouTube by now.

TwitchTV has some VERY overzealous patrons who seem to delight in informing mods of pre-release streams.

CTE

Quite possibly, but then again if Capcom were really that bothered you'd think they'd have sent takedown requests for the Let's Play that is up on YouTube by now.

TwitchTV has some VERY overzealous patrons who seem to delight in informing mods of pre-release streams.

Yeah. Never thought of people acting like game cops reporting others. Good point.

Rootbeer

Banned
Dragon's Dogma will be $49.99 at Fry's:
http://www.frys.com/ads/page9

You can get Best Buy to price match for the armor pack or submit the price to Amazon so you can get the $10 credit + weapon pack DLC.
I reported the lower price... amazon is really generous in matching prices but we'll have to see. Mine will probably ship from amazon later tonight so there might not be enough time. They could always match the price later and give out credit, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

If everyone in this thread who ordered from amazon reports the price though, we could see some results :D

I currently have it ordered off amazon for 57.99 (two dollars off... i'll take it :p) + the $10 credit + weapon pack... I'll be happy with that though

Karak

Good impressions, thanks.

2 questions for ya:

What character Class did you pick? Happy with your choice?

Do you think that a strategy guide would really enhance the experience, or have you been able to figure out all of the game systems, etc. on your own?

Sorry went off to play for a bit.
I chose the Fighter as I like sword and shield. I am now a Mystic Knight.
There is a great deal going on in this game. I 100% see that someone with a guide would find an incredible amount of use.

Also the game may not have the highest resolution or the best textures but DAT LIGHTING! I am very near the end and holy hell some things that happen really show the lighting engine for all it is worth. God damned it was beautiful.

Anteater

this is one of those games I have a feeling that will be great if you don't use a guide until your second play through, it seems to encourage a replay judging from the achievement

Verelios

I finally caved and ordered off of Amazon. Damn, I hope they price match and bring it down to $50 though.

Looking awesome though. Question: Are there class branches, because a poster above said something about a warrior>>then mystic knight?

Santiako

I finally caved and ordered off of Amazon. Damn, I hope they price match and bring it down to $50 though.

Looking awesome though. Question: Are there class branches, because a poster above said something about a warrior>>then mystic knight?

Yes, there are 3 starting classes, 3 advanced classes and 3 hybrid classes.

Yep, check the OP.
edit: beaten hard.

Been watching vids of the skills - look awesome. I don't like all the "geek online dating" referrals that keep popping on utube vids tho/ -_-

Anteater

Could anyone tell me if you swing faster using Fighter if you start with a small character :p?

Can't make up my mind with my character and pawn :(

Karak

Could anyone tell me if you swing faster using Fighter if you start with a small character :p?

I don't have the guide to tell me for sure. But it really does feel like a smaller character completes animations faster than a larger one. I could be out of my mind but it feels like that is occuring.

Anteater

I don't have the guide to tell me for sure. But it really does feel like a smaller character completes animations faster than a larger one. I could be out of my mind but it feels like that is occuring.

Thanks! Yeah in the demo strider seems to swing faster on a smaller character, I'm just not sure if it's the case with fighter because they use a sword, I'll give it a try!

I made the mistake of starting Skyrim while I wait for Dragons Dogma. I hate starting things and then pushing them back into the backlog :(. At least was Skyrim though, who the hell knows when I would "finish" it anyway, I was barely 30 hours in.

sublimit

Banned
Some games just have mandatory missable quests and items like tales and ffxii (zodiac spear) :(

I meant that it is usually more enjoyable to finish a game without a guide on your first playthrough (even if you loose some items,quests etc),and use one for your subsequent playthroughs.Unless of course you seriously get stucked at some point in the game but this happens rarely with games today...

Rubikant

The guide says nothing about animations being different speed, or health and damage being different, from character size.

Stamina usage, carrying capacity, running speed, wind resistance, and weighing down enemies you are climbing on seem to be the main effects. Those are all weight though.

Size seems to have no specific "stat-based" effect but of course affects things like your hit box (i.e. smaller = less likely to be hit). One person pointed out that they waded into a stream and their lantern went out, but their taller Pawn could wade in and the lantern stayed lit because it was above the water level. A taller character could also have an easier time reaching flying enemies. Apparently height doesn't directly benefit ability to get to higher places though, it seems to change the jump height such that both tall and short characters can reach the same ledge and grab on to it (shorter characters technically jump higher but it is offset by their actual reach so it evens out).

Anteater

The guide says nothing about animations being different speed, or health and damage being different, from character size.

Stamina usage, carrying capacity, running speed, wind resistance, and weighing down enemies you are climbing on seem to be the main effects. Those are all weight though.

Size seems to have no specific "stat-based" effect but of course affects things like your hit box (i.e. smaller = less likely to be hit). One person pointed out that they waded into a stream and their lantern went out, but their taller Pawn could wade in and the lantern stayed lit because it was above the water level. A taller character could also have an easier time reaching flying enemies. Apparently height doesn't directly benefit ability to get to higher places though, it seems to change the jump height such that both tall and short characters can reach the same ledge and grab on to it (shorter characters technically jump higher but it is offset by their actual reach so it evens out).

hmm, that doesn't seem like heavier characters have much of a benefit other than weighing enemies down and carrying more items (and carrying/wearing heavier armors), ugh, can't make up my mind!

I think I will make this the first time I make my character a female. I usually roll a male first, then if I replay I'll do a female character. So a female Fighter, then I'll make the worlds tallest Mage.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Just ordered PS3 versions, I got weak. I'm hoping it is what I wanted Skyrim to be. Fun to play and open world.

Karak

Apparently height doesn't directly benefit ability to get to higher places though, it seems to change the jump height such that both tall and short characters can reach the same ledge and grab on to it (shorter characters technically jump higher but it is offset by their actual reach so it evens out).

Really this is actually exactly the opposite of what the devs have stated clearly. That is weird:(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really am hoping for a lot out of this game. I can only count 2 games(Diablo 3 and Binary Domain) that I've enjoyed this year. A whole lot of disappointments for me, really.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

I will say that height DOES affect some quests though. There's one quest early on where you have to conduct a raid, but there's actually a shortcut located in the area, and if you examine it, it clearly states that a shorter/smaller person would be able to fit in no problem. Unfortunately my character could not. :(

Yep, those pig tails are just too damn cute.

Initially, I had a different hair. But after I messed around the character editing a bit more.. I found this hair to be a little more fitting for my Strider. Indeed it is a cute hair.

Well I used to have Amazon Prime Student but that was a while ago so I don't think its a member thing. Aha! As I was typing this I think I figured it out. I think you added the strategy guide and the game together which disqualifies you from getting release date shipping. I replicated the order and the option wasn't there. You need to cancel and reorder them separately mang

Now, I'm having a dilema. I'd like to cancel my current order (game and guide together), in order to get the game on release day, however, I'd like to have my guide with me at the same time.. so I don't know whether to wait for both or get them separate with my game coming in on time. I'm actually leaning towards waiting extra days for both together.

I made the mistake of starting Skyrim while I wait for Dragons Dogma. I hate starting things and then pushing them back into the backlog :(. At least was Skyrim though, who the hell knows when I would "finish" it anyway, I was barely 30 hours in.

I'm sorta in this situation, two weeks ago my summer break started so I started Skyrim. Last week I've started summer classes so I haven't been playing as much. I don't how many hours I've put, but it says Days passed: 52. And I'm no where near the end.. I'm catching myself doing side/misc quests even after my trophies. I've only done 5 main quests. I think skyrim will be a good 'go to' game IF I ever need a break from DD... IF

Dresden

I will say that height DOES affect some quests though. There's one quest early on where you have to conduct a raid, but there's actually a shortcut located in the area, and if you examine it, it clearly states that a shorter/smaller person would be able to fit in no problem. Unfortunately my character could not. :(

Mind fucking blown.

I'm sorta in this situation, two weeks ago my summer break started so I started Skyrim. Last week I've started summer classes so I haven't been playing as much. I don't how many hours I've put, but it says Days passed: 52. And I'm no where near the end.. I'm catching myself doing side/misc quests even after my trophies. I've only done 5 main quests. I think skyrim will be a good 'go to' game IF I ever need a break from DD... IF

Indeed. The fact that it's Skyrim makes it hurt less. Even IF I had completed the main quest line, I'd still be messing around with side quests and junk. There's just too much to do in that game anyway. So yeah I'll happily fire up DD and play until I start referring to all my friends as "pawns".

Unity2012

There is a great deal going on in this game. I 100% see that someone with a guide would find an incredible amount of use.

I am starting to read the "Forging your Hero" section of the guide and "Vocations." The amount of information alone, is not only interesting but good to know when making decisions. There is a lot of information for each character, pawns and understanding the system, controls, etc. A lot of good to know information without even getting to the walk-through part of the game.

The individual character's vocation pages does not specify changes due to "character size" but rather their general attributes, for instance, your Fighter will have greater strength (attack, defense, health), than a Strider, which will probably help when handling heavier weapons.

I am literally savoring every bit of info since I do NOT have the game yet *sighs* but I will tell If I find any information on character size and consequences.

I think you are right about that; it would make sense. We might be able to check that changing our character's build on the Demo as well.

Lucent

Does it have a new game +?And if so what is carried over?

It does. And I'm pretty sure your level and everything carries over. The only thing I'm not entirely sure of is items. I dunno why you wouldn't though.

I just wanted to answer you with what I knew. =p

sublimit

Banned
It does. And I'm pretty sure your level and everything carries over. The only thing I'm not entirely sure of is items. I dunno why you wouldn't though.

I just wanted to answer you with what I knew. =p

Then i assume skills,hybrid classes,special weapons and armor are also carried over right?Thanks anyway.

Karak

I am starting to read the "Forging your Hero" section of the guide and "Vocations." The amount of information alone, is not only interesting but good to know when making decisions. There is a lot of information for each character, pawns and understanding the system, controls, etc. A lot of good to know information without even getting to the walk-through part of the game.

The individual character's vocation pages does not specify changes due to "character size" but rather their general attributes, for instance, your Fighter will have greater strength (attack, defense, health), than a Strider, which will probably help when handling heavier weapons.

I am literally savoring every bit of info since I do NOT have the game yet *sighs* but I will tell If I find any information on character size and consequences.

I think you are right about that; it would make sense. We might be able to check that changing our character's build on the Demo as well.
I have been messing around with this very thing. I started 2 games on 2 other profiles and one with a small character the other large. The difference is minimal but god damn it if it isn't there and noticeable enough when you load one game and then load another soon after. Now how that equates in combat I am not sure. Perhaps it barely does thus its exclusive from the guide(wouldn't be the first time I guide was missing stuff that really was a small thing).
I am glad I see backup above about the height of a character impacting the game. I know that the devs for sure spoke out about that particular aspect making a difference at times during the game and quests as well as crouch height. I can also backup that a taller character may not lose his lantern in the water compared to a shorter one. Totally unexpected and I thought it was a bug but god damn if they didn't check that. Amazing small stuff.

This is truly a favorite old car of a videogame. It is coming apart at the seams at times just like a cheap first car, and you are not sure how well it will perform, and it isn't the prettiest but its got one or two good spots and fancy bits, but the small stuff makes its ownership memorable to the point of cherishing it.

Now that is pretty fucking cool.

Top Bottom