• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

DPsygnet

Hahahahha the guy on the stream died again, , when he respawned he threw his pawn down a cliff and jumped with it hahha

Lucent

Hahahahha the guy on the stream died again, , when he respawned he threw his pawn down a cliff and jumped with it hahha

He was try'n to set up a plan to have the thing run near the barrels so he could set them off, but the thing charged and blew it up on both him and his pawn. This guy has died so many times already.

And the thing about the difficulty is that some places you're just really not meant to be at yet and if you go there too early for your level it'll be harder. There isn't any level scaling. So it is sort of like Demon/Dark Souls. Some reviewers did say some parts were unfair but I dunno. I plan to triumph through any battle I come across eventually.

Edit: This game seems like it's gonna be scarier than the recent horror games (which isn't saying much...). The darkness is great. Can't see too far ahead.

abundant

before that he got his head eaten by that same monster... this guy sucks or the game is hard ?
dont get me wrong, i want to die, i loved demon soul and dark soul, each times something make me think about them i want to play again.

This game will be difficult at first because you and your pawns will be at a low level, but once you reach about level 30, it won't be as hard.

ironcreed

Banned
"Take up arms, newly Arisen."

Time to go play.

tsX3T.jpg

Lucent

"Take up arms, newly Arisen."

Time to go play.

huge pic[/QUOTE]

I've been contemplating whether or not I want the guide. I could order it on Amazon for $12.49 and I have $5 in amazon credit. But I don't know if I'd ever actually use it. I like finding things on my own. It's still tempting though just because I've been waiting for this game for awhile. I dunno man. =/

before that he got his head eaten by that same monster... this guy sucks or the game is hard ?
dont get me wrong, i want to die, i loved demon soul and dark soul, each times something make me think about them i want to play again.

He's also playing as a kid, so he has very little health.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Good to know it's just not journalists exaggerating :D

How are you liking it so far?

The game is good but I do have some things I don't like about it.

1. I really love that there is no level scaling in the game, but I would really prefer if the game told me either through the quest description or through a star ranking how difficult the quest is. There's zero way to tell the difficulty of the quest until you accept it and try it out yourself.

2. The map is not very good at telling you where to go. If you're in the main city and a quest is outside, it will highlight the closest exit out of town for you, but that may not be the best exit to take to get to the quest. An example is that I did a main story quest and it told me to use the aqueduct exit at one end of town, but when I got out of town, the fucking quest was on the other side of the castle, right next to another exit... :/

Those are all the gripes I have so far about the game, but otherwise it's really fun.

One word of warning though; quests DO expire, so you have to be careful how you progress the main story. I did one main line quest and suddenly 2 quests that I had active from the first village were canceled and I could no longer complete them.

Santiako

One word of warning though; quests DO expire, so you have to be careful how you progress the main story. I did one main line quest and suddenly 2 quests that I had active from the first village were canceled and I could no longer complete them.

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to complete every side quest available before progressing with each main quest.

Wait, that matters? So what's the benefit of being a kid then? Speed? lol this game is deep man. =)

I think the smaller your character is, the less health you have, but you're faster and have much more stamina. Bigger characters are slower, with more health, but less stamina.

Lucent

The game is good but I do have some things I don't like about it.

1. I really love that there is no level scaling in the game, but I would really prefer if the game told me either through the quest description or through a star ranking how difficult the quest is. There's zero way to tell the difficulty of the quest until you accept it and try it out yourself.

2. The map is not very good at telling you where to go. If you're in the main city and a quest is outside, it will highlight the closest exit out of town for you, but that may not be the best exit to take to get to the quest. An example is that I did a main story quest and it told me to use the aqueduct exit at one end of town, but when I got out of town, the fucking quest was on the other side of the castle, right next to another exit... :/

Those are all the gripes I have so far about the game, but otherwise it's really fun.

Good advice. So I guess it's best to do non-story quests first?

I think the smaller your character is, the less health you have, but you're faster and have much more stamina. Bigger characters are slower, with more health, but less stamina.

That makes sense. Well my Arisen is currently I'd say average in height and weight. Not too muscular not too skinny. So he's sort of balanced. My main pawn at the moment is a little girl so she'll probably be a mage.

Wait, that matters? So what's the benefit of being a kid then? Speed? lol this game is deep man. =)

the shorter you are, the less health you have and the less damage you do(not sure about this one), but you move faster.

It's a trade off where other games will usually have size differences not mean anything.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm liking the direction of this new breed of Jrpgs... well, they're Western's but made in Japan.. (what does that make them?).

/ Hard difficulty
/ Scary gameplay due to imminent danger
/ 'Visceral' (for lack of a better word) Combat.

Jesterns - the immigrant cousin to Jrpgs, on sabbatical in Los Angeles.

abundant

Your height/weight has no effect on your starting HP, your class selection does.

Mage - 410
Strider - 430
Fighter - 450

Riposte

I'm liking the direction of this new breed of Jrpgs... well, they're Western's but made in Japan.. (what does that make them?).

/ Hard difficulty
/ Scary gameplay due to imminent danger
/ 'Visceral' (for lack of a better word) Combat.

Jesterns - the immigrant cousin to Jrpgs, on sabbatical in Los Angeles.

If you thinking of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma (and Monster Hunter) then they are called "3D action games". Made by long time Japanese 3D action game developers.

Probably a dumbass question but I gotta be sure, would you need Xbox live gold to do all the pawn stuff with people on your friends list?

wanders

Ic, apparently I don't have that option. All I have is Free Super Saving, Standard, Two-day, and One-day. They probably took that option off? Idk, thanks though, I tried =/

Hey I just checked and it seems you can still get it release day shipped. Maybe you pre-ordered from a third party?

Edit: Damn strategy guide is 12 dollas on Amazon. Nice for those interested

Lucent

Hey I just checked and it seems you can still get it release day shipped. Maybe you pre-ordered from a third party?

Yeah I know. I just don't know if it's worth it. I like to find stuff on my own. But maybe...how do you guys generally use strategy guides?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Good advice. So I guess it's best to do non-story quests first

Yeah for sure, these side quests have HUGE benefits. I've done a couple and while they're all pretty tough, the payoff is great. You're often getting something like 10 - 20K experience plus 30K in gold just for beating them. Definitely needed if you really want to upgrade your equipment well and get up the skill tree fast.

Also, I can confirm that you can copy saves to a USB stick or other memory card if you have a fat 60gig PS3. :)

And here are some more screens taken with the in-game screenshot maker. All of them except the last one are from the first 2 hours of the game, so no huge spoilers.

Just outside Gran Soren
AtTgoH7CIAA52xX.jpg:large

Nice head. :) This is part of the mission that takes you to Gran Soren, BTW.
AtTgi9ZCEAEapjX.jpg:large

Finally defeated my first ogre! I thought it was the end boss for the quest I was on, but... I was wrong. :O
AtTgu0fCAAA6TTl.jpg:large

BTW, when you all get the game, look for my pawn! Since I was able to get it early, it's currently ranked #1 overall on PS3, heh. You can see my pawn in the hydra screenshot, his name is Edgemaster (after the Soulcalibur character) :D

Lucent

Yay PS3 screens! =D

Good thing I'm getting the PS3 version. I can hire him.

And 30k per quest? so...10 quests = arrow of death. lol

No, mine is being sold by: Amazon.com LLC. Do you have to have some sort of membership? I don't have any atm. And yeah, I got the strategy guide with it. Something I like to do with games I really want.

Yeah I know. I just don't know if it's worth it. I like to find stuff on my own. But maybe...how do you guys generally use strategy guides?

For me, I generally use strategy guides to go along with my gameplay and read just a little ahead of where I currently am so that I kind of have a heads up (ie, if I flip a page and see that theres a boss fight, I don't read the boss info, but I save right b4 fighting it). For treasures, in case I might've missed one or two. Basically, I use my strategy guide for a semi preparations rather than telling me this and that before I find out. I don't like spoiling things for myself

wanders

No, mine is being sold by: Amazon.com LLC. Do you have to have some sort of membership? I don't have any atm. And yeah, I got the strategy guide with it. Something I like to do with games I really want.

Well I used to have Amazon Prime Student but that was a while ago so I don't think its a member thing. Aha! As I was typing this I think I figured it out. I think you added the strategy guide and the game together which disqualifies you from getting release date shipping. I replicated the order and the option wasn't there. You need to cancel and reorder them separately mang

Playing the hell out of the demo again. I don't expect to have the full game in my hands until Thursday the earliest or Friday/Saturday the latest. :(

Anyone else picking up the guide? (I probably won't use it much)

Edit: There's an in-game screenshot maker? Nice!

Well I used to have Amazon Prime Student but that was a while ago so I don't think its a member thing. Aha! As I was typing this I think I figured it out. I think you added the strategy guide and the game together which disqualifies you from getting release date shipping. I replicated the order and the option wasn't there. You need to cancel and reorder them separately mang

Ahh, thank you! Will def get on that.

Arcteryx

Yeah for sure, these side quests have HUGE benefits. I've done a couple and while they're all pretty tough, the payoff is great. You're often getting something like 10 - 20K experience plus 30K in gold just for beating them. Definitely needed if you really want to upgrade your equipment well and get up the skill tree fast.

Also, I can confirm that you can copy saves to a USB stick or other memory card if you have a fat 60gig PS3. :)

And here are some more screens taken with the in-game screenshot maker. All of them except the last one are from the first 2 hours of the game, so no huge spoilers.

BTW, when you all get the game, look for my pawn! Since I was able to get it early, it's currently ranked #1 overall on PS3, heh. You can see my pawn in the hydra screenshot, his name is Edgemaster (after the Soulcalibur character) :D

tumblr_lcxbdgelbr1qbuqccnq.gif

Karak

Man alive. I have now played all day and jezuz the danger in this game is so high. FUCK. Liking it a great deal though.

I am loving the skills so great. For some reason I love launching my pawn high into the air despite there being no airborn enemies, they come ranging down and if they have the right skills they just land like a god damned meteor on the bad guys. So great.

Also the tangible feeling of success from even very small things is very real. Like coming out of a one sided battle and some how taking the enemies down just as your lamp dies.

Best moment so far is hearing the harpies. God damn I had my theatre set up and that haunting singing start coming through the speakers and ask they dive bombed me it was moving through the umbrella of sound from left to right or high to low. Great times.

Man alive. I have now played all day and jezuz the danger in this game is so high. FUCK. Liking it a great deal though.

I am loving the skills so great. For some reason I love launching my pawn high into the air despite there being no airborn enemies, they come ranging down and if they have the right skills they just land like a god damned meteor on the bad guys. So great.

Also the tangible feeling of success from even very small things is very real. Like coming out of a one sided battle and some how taking the enemies down just as your lamp dies.

lol awesome.

What class are you and your pawn?

benzy

Screenshot from Gran Soren, just messing around and causing havoc in the city, heh.

Just FYI if you didn't know, the game has a screenshot function built-in (both systems IIRC) so you can pause the game and take a still. :D You can then post it to facebook or twitter if you like.

More games need a photomode like this. Can you export it to a USB? The facebook/twitter compression are terrible imo.

Also, can you have multiple save file playthroughs of a different character, or will it override the old save when you start fresh creating a different character?

Karak

lol awesome.

What class are you and your pawn?

I took a warrior(no Mystic Knight) because I actually REALLY liked the animations for the sword and shield. My main pawn is a ranger. For some reason I made him like 9 foot 9 hahahahaha. So he if his bow is in scale the thing is the size of a small human:) But he works bitches up pretty well with it. I know so many people hated that the pawns talked but I still love it. Especially as I constantly go out at night and it sort of takes a bit of the dreariness away. Night is dangerous but EASILY livable which is nice. You just cant be fucking stupid about it and like rush in.
MY quest log looks like a list of amazing deeds. I could not tell you how many quests I have played.

Jagxyz

For the people saying it's difficult, how many pawns are you playing with? I plan to go with a full party, but I don't want it to be a cakewalk.

LProtag

Just a few more days.

My roommates are going to be pissed at how much gaming I'm going to be doing in the living room.

ironcreed

Banned
I will be abusing the hell out of the screenshot feature and am in love with this game. Only time it really slows down on the PS3 is when it is auto-saving. But other than that, it runs well and is going to be a time sink and a half that I will enjoy every minute of.

Some pics for you guys.

Me and my Pawn, Furiana

403474_356671901063250_100001613296269_927463_745330042_n.jpg

Braving the night

582336_356671411063299_100001613296269_927459_1530968782_n.jpg

Harpies in the dark

303358_356671741063266_100001613296269_927462_1653172624_n.jpg

Time to kill some bandits

538722_356670954396678_100001613296269_927456_552965311_n.jpg

Arrival at Gran Soren

480239_356672331063207_100001613296269_927465_1352829083_n.jpg

One dead wolf

575137_356672094396564_745775699_n.jpg

Taking a stroll

581069_356672447729862_100001613296269_927466_758399040_n.jpg

Lucent

I will be abusing the hell out of the screenshot feature and am in love with this game. Only time it really slows down on the PS3 is when it is auto-saving. But other than that, it runs well and is going to be a time sink and a half that I will enjoy every minute of.

Your main pawn looks like an adult version of my main pawn.

=D

Also, I'm glad to see the PS3 version looking good and all. I'll also be using the crap out of that screenshot feature. I think it'll be a great way to help people, too.

Also, is there a way to turn off the auto-saving? I usually don't use it in move games. Especially ones like this. If not, that's okay. But I'd rather not suffer the slow down and be responsible for my own saves if possible.

ironcreed

Banned
Your main pawn looks like an adult version of my main pawn.

=D

Also, I'm glad to see the PS3 version looking good and all. I'll also be using the crap out of that screenshot feature. I think it'll be a great way to help people, too.

Also, is there a way to turn off the auto-saving? I usually don't use it in move games. Especially ones like this. If not, that's okay. But I'd rather not suffer the slow down and be responsible for my own saves if possible.

Yep, those pig tails are just too damn cute. Good look for a female fighter as well, which is what my pawn is currently.

As for the auto-saving, I have not looked into turning it off, but I will check tomorrow. The slowdown is only for a few seconds anyway, so it's really no biggie.

Anyway, what I love about Dragon's Dogma is that it actually puts fear of exploration back into games. The world actually feels dangerous and you are just not sure if you really want to go down that path or cave you just found or not. Because one bad move and you can get squashed... fast. It's the kind of thing that really makes you feel involved in the world. There is just a vibe this game has that makes it feel so different and I love it.

Lucent

Anyway, what I love about Dragon's Dogma is that it actually puts fear of exploration back into games. The world actually feels dangerous and you are just not sure if you really want to go down that path or cave you just found or not. Because one bad move and you can get squashed... fast. It's the kind of thing that really makes you feel involved in the world. There is just a vibe this game has that makes it feel so different and I love it.

That's great. That's something I really hate when a game lacks that. Fable really turned me off with how easy it was. Too simple. Demon/Dark Souls gave me that sense of being cautious because you never know what's gonna happen. And even if you know where the enemies are, they are still a big threat. I'm very much looking forward to starting this. And I think I wanna get the guide now just because you like it so much. And I'm glad you're not disappointed with the game. With that avatar and the way you've been talking about this game in all the DD threads, it def seemed like you had high hopes for this game.

Top Bottom