• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn To Death |OT| NeoJaffe is Back (READ MOD POST)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
e26.jpg

You don't like this. Cool, interesting to noone but cool, whatever. Why do you keep coming back to a thread for a game you aren't interested in?

WTF is this?
OTs aren't or at least shouldn't be some kind of "positive-only posts allowed" circle jerks.

*Splinter

I'd at least try a few matches man. I wasn't feeling it at first either.
Yeah I didn't think much of it from the tutorial either. The shooting and moving is definitely a little rough around the edges which gives a poor first impression, once I had a few games though I was hooked :D

You can also mute/reduce the announcer if he bothers you. They've gone all in with this style of humour though so I can see that being a deal breaker if you don't like it.

Foxxsoxx

I'm going to make it my goal to master Diabla, everyone complains about the jumps being floaty and that's the reason I love her, I'll fucking float for days strafing everywhere with her.

I have the challenge to where I have to get 2,000 points crouching (which for the love of God I'm trying to incorporate into my gameplay) and it's going so slow lol. 500/2,000 slowly but surely...

Man did they take the announcer from some CSI episode where games turn kids into rapists and murderers?

Couldn't even get through a full match it's so cringeworthy. I'd be embarrassed to have even worked on this.

Foxxsoxx

Man did they take the announcer from some CSI episode where games turn kids into rapists and murderers?

Couldn't even get through a full match it's so cringeworthy. I'd be embarrassed to have even worked on this.

I'll be honest. I'm not sure if you are serious.

If not.

This game

<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>

Your head

On a more useful note you can turn off the announcer in options.

Been playing this quite a bit and so far I am really enjoying it.

The controls aren't the best in the world but they do the job, the art style is unique and fun, the characters are varied and the game is a lot of fun.

It's a real shame to hear so many people write off the humour/writing as cringe worthy or embarrassing. I mean, 99% of games take the exact opposite approach where swearing and adult humour is either limited or story related. Its actually refreshing to have a game go all out in these aspects and it makes it not only stand out but fun for me. Hell, unlocking little meme style gifs is fun for you to taunt your opponents.

What other game has a button for you to play a gif to tell someone to &#8216;fuck off' or to say &#8216;your mum'? There is room for Oscar worthy scripts and writing and grim dark serious stories AND a single game that offers something different. Im not saying that you have to like it, but the way some people act around games like this always annoys me as they act like there isnt room for anything other than what they like and that simple isnt true.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I've had some fun with this thing, and I'll probably play it a bit more.

Man but I knew what the problem with this game was the moment I hit the jump button.

Obscura

Have you "activated" the quest? You have to press x on it to accept the challenge.

Yes. I even activated another riddle, completed that one and then re-activated the one I'm having issues with and completed it again (with a win) though no luck.

What sucks is I was apparently the first person to mention it to Jaffe so Teusday's patch won't help.

ThisOne

I've had some fun with this thing, and I'll probably play it a bit more.

Man but I knew what the problem with this game was the moment I hit the jump button.

And what problem is that? The controls definitely take a while to get used to and the jumping does feel a bit too floaty. That's why a character like Cyborgula is so useful with his flying ability.

VeeP

The games fun, but at the same time I don't think I'll be coming back for more.

Some things I like:

The art style - Wow, originally I thought I wouldn't like it. But it works really well. Kudos to the team.

Movement is solid

Maps seem unique and fun

Some things I don't like:

Some weapons seem overpowered

Needs more game types or an option to chose TDM over DM for me at least

Few more maps

delSai

Really enjoying it, but man it's such a pain in the ass to play with a friend. There's always some problem, that makes you have quit and sometimes restart the game. Didn't get 2v2 to work and even 1v1 only worked twice out of quiet a few tries.

But when i'm not trying to play with a pal and i'm having a great time.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
And what problem is that? The controls definitely take a while to get used to and the jumping does feel a bit too floaty. That's why a character like Cyborgula is so useful with his flying ability.

It's the floaty jump, and being committed to the floaty jump at slow speeds if I miss the sprint toggle, which seems to kind of come and go with a mind of its own. But mostly something in not only the float of the jump but the lack of recoil and release, in the timing of the jump. I dunno, maybe that's just another word for floaty.

It almost makes me want it to have the Prototype-style jump where the press down is the build-up and determines height but the release is the jump point.

Foxxsoxx

Okay I'm getting the Shaxe and I'm going to make that thing work, it's crazy good.

Looks like some nerfs are going to be coming to JRPG, Ice Can, and the Russian Jackhammer.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Okay I'm getting the Shaxe and I'm going to make that thing work, it's crazy good.

Looks like some nerfs are going to be coming to JRPG, Ice Can, and the Russian Jackhammer.

Nice. That JRPG was so irritating. Stupid damage for how strong the homing is. The Jackhammer was irritating too, though I couldn't make much use of it. I do wonder how many folks are playing this with a mouse and keyboard for the more precise weapons.

Foxxsoxx

Where did you see that?

A developer from a stream.

JRPG really just needs less aggressive tracking.

Pretty sure the Jackhammer is getting a hip fire nerf.

Not sure about the others.

Really hope they do something about Broncos turret. It's just annoying as shit to deal with with absolutely no skill. It's just fire and forget, on top of having to stop focusing on Bronco on top of being hard as hell to shoot down if you don't have an automatic weapon.

Gave this a shot earlier and couldn't make it past the tutorial. Game just isn't for me. The jump had barely any animation to it was was jarring, the attitude and humour isn't for me even though I can appreciate the odd try-hard edgy character (like I find Reaper hilarious in Overwatch) and the shooting just didn't feel great to me.

I admit though, the notebook doodle style is cool and looks better in game than it does in images. Just a shame I don't like what the doodles are of, or the tone.

Im in this camp. Hey kids that were into this games rock style were even in my classes at school in ny and it seems like some diversity of style would have made this game appeal to more people.

Folks that liked hiphop doodled a lot too lol duh matter of fact smashing each other in this game could have been cool even. Some type of vibe selection at the start screen could have been cool like "the warriors" picking a gang or whatever. Just a thought. The game has a lot going for it but it has this not for me feeling I cant get past and thats a shame.

ThisOne

Does leveling up your character do anything other than give you a bit of progress toward a key? Like I'm level 3 with Johnny Savage and level 4 with Cyborgula but that doesn't seem to actually unlock anything or lead to anything. Also, what does completing character missions do? I need a few more hits with blood seekers to finish Cyborgula's 1st character mission but not really sure what the point of doing those even is.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Does leveling up your character do anything other than give you a bit of progress toward a key? Like I'm level 3 with Johnny Savage and level 4 with Cyborgula but that doesn't seem to actually unlock anything or lead to anything. Also, what does completing character missions do? I need a few more hits with blood seekers to finish Cyborgula's 1st character mission but not really sure what the point of doing those even is.

Leveling earns you different character portraits (I don't think you get to choose which one you use though, unfortunately), and a unique taunt based on you character when you hit level 15.

Missions earn you special skins.

Edit: Whoa, when did I get a unique tag? Did I have that yesterday? Where is my biographer?

Endo Punk

Think I'm frustrated as hell with Drawn to death now, reached my natural skill cap with the mp -always happens to me unless it's a fighting game- while playing with others who are far above it. So many lost matches last night, managed to snag 150 kills for a mystery box though and unlocked a zombie skin for my character. That should motivate me enough for the next 150 kills.

Foxxsoxx

Think I'm frustrated as hell with Drawn to death now, reached my natural skill cap with the mp -always happens to me unless it's a fighting game- while playing with others who are far above it. So many lost matches last night, managed to snag 150 kills for a mystery box though and unlocked a zombie skin for my character. That should motivate me enough for the next 150 kills.

What weapons are you using?

I'm noticing I'm improving more and more and thats due to weapon combos and naturally just learning the maps and such.

Some weapons are just better than others and that could be your problem.

Also the new maps out, looks like another ones coming out next week as well!

New maps pretty cool, it's like Bloodbath but with lava.

Endo Punk

What weapons are you using?

I'm noticing I'm improving more and more and thats due to weapon combos and naturally just learning the maps and such.

Some weapons are just better than others and that could be your problem.

Also the new maps out, looks like another ones coming out next week as well!

New maps pretty cool, it's like Bloodbath but with lava.

Lazer gun is like my defacto weapon then for my secondary I try to change it with dodgeball Dan, dynamite bow etc but only land a hit 50% of the time which makes me double down on the Jrpg &#128514;

Definitely gotta use the level design and the warp zones to my advantage though, despite losing 80% of the matches I still feel comfortable saying that I had fun which is almost never the case with shooters lol, mostly because of the sheer variety at your disposal here.

Glad new content is coming out. This week is pretty much dedicated to complete Yakuza 0 (or get as far as I can) but will definitely put at least 30 to 45 minutes of play in Drawn to Death. I find it less frustrating in small doses than playing for 3 hours and just getting exhausted, Yea I overdid it to get 150 kills.

There's an announcer line that complains about not having the budget for it :(

Hopefully that means it's planned as a future update

It better be. I'm tired of getting games like Duke Nukem 3d which should EASILY have 4 player split screen or 8 player lan between two consoles and then NOT use any power or the four player shit for multiplayer. Duke 3d was made to run on a 486 and I can't have it four player on the PS4? The N64 had four players. My friends like the game, and it would be even better to play this together.

hurzelein

The Tower has checkpoints right? At which level is the first one?

Would be cool if there would be an option to buy specific skins for like 3-4€. Mystery Box for 3 random skins is 5€, think that would be a fair price. I need a new skin for my main, but have already bought a few boxes and didn't get what I want :)

*Splinter

It better be. I'm tired of getting games like Duke Nukem 3d which should EASILY have 4 player split screen or 8 player lan between two consoles and then NOT use any power or the four player shit for multiplayer. Duke 3d was made to run on a 486 and I can't have it four player on the PS4? The N64 had four players. My friends like the game, and it would be even better to play this together.
Yeah it's a shame, this game is PERFECT for 4 player split screen. Yet this feature seems to have lost support since the end of the PS2 era.

The Tower has checkpoints right? At which level is the first one?

Would be cool if there would be an option to buy specific skins for like 3-4€. Mystery Box for 3 random skins is 5€, think that would be a fair price. I need a new skin for my main, but have already bought a few boxes and didn't get what I want :)
Checkpoints are at 5, 13, 19 and 25 IIRC.

Foxxsoxx

Yeah splitscreen would have been great, shame they couldn't get it in.

I got some of the trashiest teammates ever tonight, non-stop people either leaving or going 1-8.

At least when they left I could still win xD

tried a couple of games and gunplay felt a little off, disconnected somehow

Yeah the gunplay isn't very great with automatics, it's more of a rocket launcher game to be honest. Thankfully the game has plenty of those. If you want a good rifle, the Russian Jackhammer is semi auto and does great damage.

thumb

Banned
I don't like that losing games destroys your tower progress. I would like the opposite: Losing games gives you a bit of progress towards a star, winning gives you more.

Interfectum

Played through tutorial and a couple matches. Not feeling the game at all. This feels like Calling All Cars Jaffe.

God of War and Twisted Metal 2-era Jaffe still the best. :)

*Splinter

I don't like that losing games destroys your tower progress. I would like the opposite: Losing games gives you a bit of progress towards a star, winning gives you more.
Ehh, it would take the challenge out of it though, and at that point you might as well play unranked?

It's already very lenient for a "ranked" mode.

thumb

Banned
Ehh, it would take the challenge out of it though, and at that point you might as well play unranked?

It's already very lenient for a "ranked" mode.

I think the challenge comes in each individual game, rather than the metagame. I'd rather have my progress be cumulative. As a comparison, no one would want to lose progress on blood keys.

I kind of wish Alan's invisibility lasted longer. That and Stamina regenerates rather than completely emptying and just fully charging. Feels weird when you're out of stamina then BOOM! Full bar.

r8er34

I'd like to play with some people on here. Trying to rank up in the tower and it's too inconsistent constantly getting paired up with new people every match. Anyone interested? I'm currently sitting at 6/7.

ThisOne

Having very long wait times for Ranked matches :(

and only getting matched up against one other player when it finally does find a match.

Edit: I've also gotta say that some of the characters seem to be at a huge disadvantage, particularly the ones with added jumping or flying abilities like Cyborgula and Alan. On Alientown, I was just playing as Johnny Savage against two Alans and one Cyborgula and they were flying all over the level. I got dominated pretty good.

*Splinter

and only getting matched up against one other player when it finally does find a match.

Edit: I've also gotta say that some of the characters seem to be at a huge disadvantage, particularly the ones with added jumping or flying abilities like Cyborgula and Alan. On Alientown, I was just playing as Johnny Savage against two Alans and one Cyborgula and they were flying all over the level. I got dominated pretty good.
Cyborgula is the overpowered character at the moment, and most likely to be nerfed.

I also expect minor nerfs to Diabla and Bronco at some point.

Johnny is definitely the weakest, hope they buff him

Imbarkus

I was having that problem but when I quit the game and relaunched it I was back into four player matches. Bug?

Top Bottom