• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn To Death |OT| NeoJaffe is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had, but some supers seem to be clearly dominant. Also got a decent amount of laughs.

Searched for a ranked game for like 5 minutes and it never found anything. Haven't had a problem finding unranked games though. Still haven't had a full 4 player game. Mostly been 2 or 3 player matches. Game is fun though. Controls take some getting used to. I keep getting killed by what I assume are player specials. I have no idea what kills me sometimes. Gotta learn some characters besides Johnny Savage, I guess.

Probably the level gate keeping people out

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sweet I'm #28 on the leader boards for ranked wins (15). Top guy is at 43. Dang.

Huh, just got booted to an update screen.

Now it's telling me the game is undergoing maintenance... but the dates are for yesterday

DeaDPo0L84

Game is broken for me. Played a few matches just fine but now when it does the drop in my screen doesn't follow the character to allow me to select a spot to spawn. It just stays hung up in the air eventually force spawning me and I can't even move and of course die. Tried restarting twice and my friend is having zero issues. Really sucks cause I was enjoying it but unless they fix this I'm done.

Creaking

Alright, Room 11, gonna give it a rest.

I think I've got a pretty decent strategy worked out. I use Cyborgula and play as a human AC-130. I don't know how long it will last though. I kind of rely on players who spend most of their time on the ground, and once the game starts garnering a veteran following, I feel most players will be moving vertically a lot more often.

But it's worked out so far. Very few losses.

This game needs a lot more voice lines though. Already sick of the few that are in the game.

So I was dumped into a TDM with only 2 other players. I figured it was going to be a free for all since we weren't even. Lo and behold I get my ass handed to me because it's a 2 on 1 fight and a fourth player never came! I'm not even sure the game was actively looking for a fourth player once the match had started even! Such bullshit.

This is not a 6 vs 6 call of duty match where we can have uneven teams. 6vs5 is so not the same as 2v1. Ugh.

Creaking

So I was dumped into a TDM with only 2 other players. I figured it was going to be a free for all since we weren't even. Lo and behold I get my ass handed to me because it's a 2 on 1 fight and a fourth player never came! I'm not even sure the game was actively looking for a fourth player once the match had started even! Such bullshit.

This is not a 6 vs 6 call of duty match where we can have uneven teams. 6vs5 is so not the same as 2v1. Ugh.

That's weird, I thought the game decided the mode based on the number of players (and then a random element, but 3 players is always supposed to be FFA games).

I did experience one instance of absolute strangeness when an enemy player ragequit in the middle of TDM. For some reason, the game started listing my teammate and the remaining enemy as being on the same team, while I was supposedly alone. In-game, however, we were still on the same side, and still had only one opponent. What's more, their faux "team" appeared to absorb part of our previous score, and every time my teammate killed the enemy, the faux-team's score would go up. I don't know if they would have won if it was just my teammate doing the killing (I got more points than both of them in the end), but it was weird.

Endo Punk

My team mate decided to up a quit and announcer mentioned that I was going to be "buffed the fuck up" to compensate. Was playing better 2v1 because of that lmao

I can't look past the visuals in this game and I don't like them. I get the sheer artristry, creativity and care that went into this game but I'm not personally feeling the colored by Bic pens levels and characters complete with the notebook's lines everywhere.

Endo Punk

Granted I only played Mp but does this game actually have boss fights? If not I hope it's something they add eventually. Aesthetically alone it deserves to be successful and the gameplay too is fun, the 16bit weapon with Jrpg animation and blowing the cartridge to reload 😂 Amazing!

Creaking

Granted I only played Mp but does this game actually have boss fights?

Isn't the game MP only? The tutorial and shooting gallery are the only single player portions. Though I guess you could say the tutorial has a boss fight of sorts.

Gonna post some of my early thoughts from the other thread in here:

OléGunner;233359885 said:
Pretty cool game so far. Played the tutorial which was hilarious and got a good feel for the combat.

Only played as Johnny Savage and Ninjaw (her grapple hook is nuts and really useful!) so far in un-ranked but the RPG and Vulcan devil have been my go to weapons.

Seems like there is a good amount of depth here, and the humour is on point through visuals, weapon/char descriptions. Matchmaking is slow as heck though, hopefully that gets better.

Definitely going to sink more time into this.

OléGunner;233364899 said:
Maaan just had a 3 way death match go to the wire against a johnny savage and Bronco player.

Won the match by grappling johnny in place and letting rip with the feeding frenzy shark attack, literally got my win with the last extra damage red shark thrown.

Think Ima call it a night cuz matchmaking is still so slow but the game is good shit when it all clicks!
I haven't even dived into the pro/con system between characters yet.

Definitely there's some twisted metal in here. I also get Quake vibes playing this.

It's so fast paced and frenetic with a shit ton of weapon/sometimes power pick ups

Granted I only played Mp but does this game actually have boss fights? If not I hope it's something they add eventually. Aesthetically alone it deserves to be successful and the gameplay too is fun, the 16bit weapon with Jrpg animation and blowing the cartridge to reload 😂 Amazing!

From some of the trial levels and shooting range missions I would say it would be really cool to have mini levels with small stories/endings.

Had fun with the open beta. So might dive into it again. Not a game id pay for but I thought the classes were wacky and interesting enough for an arena shooter.

dinoroar

Banned
So much better than I thought it would be, but the humour and memes are getting tired already for me. It's fun to play, but jesus christ if I have to see "Keel your face" again it's going off

Spy

It's a fun game but I'm highly disappointed by a few things...

-On the PS4 Pro the framerate frequently dips to the mid 20's
-You must be connected online to play the game
-It doesn't know whether it's a free to play or paid game, weapons and skins are locked behind a paywall (blood keys), not sure if there's another way to obtain them and how bad the grind is

Roufianos

He voted Trump?, i won't be downloading this then.

Edit: Reading through it he thought that we could "fight" his most horrible ideas (which ones he deems horrible who the fuck knows?), i just don't see a valid argument for voting Trump... at all, all respect lost.

What's your plan then? To play no game developed in the USA? All developers based there are going to have staff who voted Trump.

skynidas

Banned
It's a fun game but I'm highly disappointed by a few things...

-On the PS4 Pro the framerate frequently dips to the mid 20's
-You must be connected online to play the game
-It doesn't know whether it's a free to play or paid game, weapons and skins are locked behind a paywall (blood keys), not sure if there's another way to obtain them and how bad the grind is

Keys for weapons are very easy to get. The skins are the ones where you have to grind.

Bishop89

game is mad fun.
Jaffe knows how to make fun games.

2128715-56486313545.gif

Not had chance to play it yet, but will probably put in an hour or two while I wait for the Scorpio reveal. Love the art style though, looks very cool in motion.

Jaffe didn't vote trump and said he doesn't like trump. He didn't say anything good about Trump from what I have seen. Jaffe has said much worse and speaks very open no matter what. He said Trump isn't as bad as Hitler which is likely true in some ways I assume and I don't think that makes him saying he likes Trump? People say things that others don't agree with and I'm sure we have all been there. I understand there is a lot of trump hate going around and that people feed off that and look for things to hate but we are just trying to play a game here without always having to hear about Trump all the time? I get that he is disliked as I dislike him too. I just don't want to have to see Trump this and Trump that all over this place all the time hopefully. So, I won't say anything else regarding Trump in this thread. I understand Jaffe said something about Trump and that he over sees this game, but half of you are saying stuff that isn't even true saying he voted Trump when he didn't even do that. You want to find a reason to be angry when maybe you shouldn't be doing that all the time perhaps, it's fine to be angry, be angry but when you are being played by getting angry over something that isn't true (Trump votes) then what is the point?

Some of us are fairly exhausted by negative things, anxiety and other things. Please, at least let's try to talk about the game and if you don't want to play it just cause of a thing someone said on Twitter that's more than fine but let's try to leave "trump" out of it if at all possible. Plenty of weekly and daily trump threads in OT to show your hate in.

Creaking

Keys for weapons are very easy to get. The skins are the ones where you have to grind.

That reminds me, the game mentions that some skins can be bought directly with coins. Does anyone know how you get those coins?

so many disconnects in unranked-_-

Yeah, I was wondering if it's just the servers being wonky or if people are actually ragequitting at an abnormally high rate lol
It's fine though, the 1v1s in this game are surprisingly good.

Jaffe didn't vote trump and said he doesn't like trump. He didn't say anything good about Trump from what I have seen. Jaffe has said much worse and speaks very open no matter what. He said Trump isn't as bad as Hitler which is likely true in some ways I assume and I don't think that makes him saying he likes Trump? People say things that others don't agree with and I'm sure we have all been there. I understand there is a lot of trump hate going around and that people feed off that and look for things to hate but we are just trying to play a game here without always having to hear about Trump all the time? I get that he is disliked as I dislike him too. I just don't want to have to see Trump this and Trump that all over this place all the time hopefully. So, I won't say anything else regarding Trump in this thread. I understand Jaffe said something about Trump and that he over sees this game, but half of you are saying stuff that isn't even true saying he voted Trump when he didn't even do that. You want to find a reason to be angry when maybe you shouldn't be doing that all the time perhaps, it's fine to be angry, be angry but when you are being played by getting angry over something that isn't true (Trump votes) then what is the point?

Some of us are fairly exhausted by negative things, anxiety and other things. Please, at least let's try to talk about the game and if you don't want to play it just cause of a thing someone said on Twitter that's more than fine but let's try to leave "trump" out of it if at all possible. Plenty of weekly and daily trump threads in OT to show your hate in.

I commend you for your effort, but there is no getting through to these people. Just put them on ignore and try to learn to enjoy GAF again.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
game is mad fun.
Jaffe knows how to make fun games.

2128715-56486313545.gif

That certainly looks like a man that would say "I'd take Hitler over Hillary."

Sorry for the derail, but glad I've got a built-in excuse to not sink time into this game given my backlog.

BigEmil

Only decent part was the tutorial felt like a alright single player story mode would've preferred that than this

Undrey

Can we please get off of discussing a man's entire life and opinions on based that one tweet and get back on discussing the game and the gameplay.

Sadly this is true for almost all modern multiplayer-games :(

@topic: Wanted to try it out yesterday but PSN decided to take 7 hours to download 2,5 gigabytes ... lol

KanameYuuki

Played the tutorial and it felt super floaty, I'm gonna give it another chance tonight but that edgy comedy was too much for me and I love Bordelands.

dugdug

Banned
Really bums me out that an already-proven-to-be-false rumor of Jaffe voting for Trump is stopping some from playing this game.

Like, I get not supporting games because of the people behind it. I've done the same with stuff like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Hatred. The dude has said lots of unsavory shit over the years, but, if you're going to actively not support him, at least do it for stuff he's *actually* said and done.

I love this game regardless of the dumb shit he's said and the disagreements I've had with his views. It's real dumb, but, super fun to shoot people in the face. Feels very retro in lots of ways without looking like it.

DeviantBoi

Really bums me out that an already-proven-to-be-false rumor of Jaffe voting for Trump is stopping some from playing this game.
From what I understand, he didn't vote or support Trump, but he was part of the "But her emails!" crowd that ended getting Trump elected.

Am I mistaken?

Gonna give the Diablo evil angel looking character and Alan a run tonight.
Saw a tweet from Jaffe that the update today should improve matchmaking and I hope that works.

Played the tutorial and it felt super floaty, I'm gonna give it another chance tonight but that edgy comedy was too much for me and I love Bordelands.

Weirdly enough for me I find the humour working.

Usually don't like the juvenile jokey angle in games but for some reason it really works together with the D2D's art style.
Deathfrog and the commentator are too funny!

PSOreo

Should be downloaded by the time I get home tonight. Not holding my breath as I have not liked anything by Jaffe Cake but this looks fun if it's not played straight or takes itself too seriously. Glad it's free at least for a month to get a good starting player base.

OléGunner;233406541 said:

Usually don't like the juvenile jokey angle in games but for some reason it really works together with the D2D's art style.

Yeah, the commentator's diatribes when you pick up a powerup are hysterical.

dugdug

Banned
From what I understand, he didn't vote or support Trump, but he was part of the "But her emails!" crowd that ended getting Trump elected.

Am I mistaken?

I dunno, the guy talks so much, it's hard to keep up. That's still dumb, if true, but, not as bad to me.

If that's enough to turn you off, that's fine, IMO. I'm just saying as long as it's a *real* thing he actually did or said, and not a false rumor.

OléGunner;233406541 said:

Yeah, I gotta say, I'm surprised by how much it's working for me as well. I usually find Jaffe's humor more cringey, and, to be fair, that's in here too, but, for the most part, I'm laughing.

Yeah, the commentator's diatribes when you pick up a powerup are hysterical.

Uh huh!
The first time I heard that end of game fake countdown I was like

5u69LPe.gif

Yeah, I gotta say, I'm surprised by how much it's working for me as well. I usually find Jaffe's humor more cringey, and, to be fair, that's in here too, but, for the most part, I'm laughing.

Yup. Kudos to writing team and Jaffe they did good work, it feels like so far.
I also like the lobby taunt system and gif taunts. It's silly but pretty neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom