• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall: Chapters finally enters production

derFeef

kickstarter launch party on feb 7th. I'll be there in case anyone has any requests , like photos of ragnar doing something weird, or whatever. maybe have him pose with a neogaf logo?

Sweet, have fun. EviL should get him an account - that would be even more epic.

Lime

kickstarter launch party on feb 7th. I'll be there in case anyone has any requests , like photos of ragnar doing something weird, or whatever. maybe have him pose with a neogaf logo?

Have Ragnar publicly excuse for the ending of Dreamfall.

Or have him put a shoe on his head like Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer.

From the desk of Ragnar.

BCL6Cc1CEAAlMDE.jpg

beje

Banned
You know what I don't like about Dreamfall Chapters already? That there are two pieces of information in TLJ and Dreamfall that, if you manage to put together, already tell how will everything end unless it's pure coincidence.

Spoilers ahead for both games, probably spoiling Chapters too in advance if I'm correct!

In TLJ, at the very beginning you have that old woman, Lady Alvane, telling the kids the story of the events of the game. At the end, you learn that Lady Alvane is indeed April Ryan which means the Balance is broken some time during her lifetime.

In the other hand you have Dreamfall, where Kian's last name is only mentioned once during his tutorial (Kian Alvane) and not mentioned at all during the rest of the game.

So it's just adding 1+1: April actually survives Kian's attack at the end of Dreamfall and they end up marrying each other. Then hell breaks loose probably due to WATIcorp "toy" releasing and both worlds end up together again.

Anyway, I'd really like to see all the events between that. Cannot wait!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I don't like about Dreamfall Chapters already? That there are two pieces of information in TLJ and Dreamfall that, if you manage to put together, already tell how will everything end unless it's pure coincidence.

Spoilers ahead for both games, probably spoiling Chapters too in advance if I'm correct!

In TLJ, at the very beginning you have that old woman, Lady Alvane, telling the kids the story of the events of the game. At the end, you learn that Lady Alvane is indeed April Ryan which means the Balance is broken some time during her lifetime.

In the other hand you have Dreamfall, where Kian's last name is only mentioned once during his tutorial (Kian Alvane) and not mentioned at all during the rest of the game.

So it's just adding 1+1: April actually survives Kian's attack at the end of Dreamfall and they end up marrying each other.

Anyway, I'd really like to see all the events between that. Cannot wait!

That actually makes sense.

Giolon

MY BODY IS READY. I've been living in fear for the last decade almost that this game would never be made. I need resolution to that fucking cliffhanger.

I seriously feared that RT might die in an accident or something before we'd get the rest of the story.

teiresias

At least we know there can't be as long in the timeline passing between Dreamfall and Chapters because the tower in Arcadia was going berserk at the end of Dreamfall.

Really, I love Dreamfall. It has such an amazing score and atmosphere that I can't wait to play through it again. I think I like its mood better than TLJ to be honest.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Where is WonkersTheWatilla he needs to start posting now. They better bring that bear back goddamn it.

Also kickstarter is launching Feb 7th? Solmeone make an official thread it deserves it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I really liked Dreamfall on the Xbox, never played TLJ because I have and still have a shitty computer that couldn't run C-64 games let alone anything more current. I hope he considers the next dreamfall as a DLC game for 360/PS3 or the next gen systems, if MS and Sony will allow it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So I guess this week they will launch the kickstarter?

Time to rob a few banks.

I hope they do well, but also hope they dont aim too high. Adventure games tend not to get a lot of attention sometimes. Double Fine got it for being one of the first and Tim Schafer is awesome.

inm8num2

I hope they do well, but also hope they dont aim too high. Adventure games tend not to get a lot of attention sometimes. Double Fine got it for being one of the first and Tim Schafer is awesome.

I'd guess they'll ask for $600k or so. I could be way off, though.

Berto

I seriously feared that RT might die in an accident or something before we'd get the rest of the story.
Sarah Hamilton (April voice actress) was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago (I think she's ok now) so yeah there's always that fear.

Necrovex

I will toss $50 at this project. This is a day one title for me, a title that I have no problem paying full price for.

I actually feel happy for seeing her after so many years! Such wonderful games, we miss you

I will toss $50 at this project. This is a day one title for me, a title that I have no problem paying full price for.
Even if it's only as good as Dreamfall, I too have no problem with paying full price, something that I rarely do.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Really hope this finds a way on consoles some how.

they really don't need to do that, I think TLJ and Dreamfall fans are on PC,and Console people are going into new gen now and will focus on AAA shiny games and exclusive stuff. it will be like throwing money on expensive risky porting job to sell few units.

kSt

Lead designer Martin Bruusgaard joins Red Thread Games

Martin Bruusgaard, former lead designer of Funcom's MMORPG The Secret World, industry veteran, dedicated beanie-wearing snowboarder and all-round nice guy, has officially joined the Red Thread Games team!

Martin will be working on Dreamfall Chapters together with director Ragnar Tørnquist, writer Dag Scheve, general manager Rakel Johnsen and programmers Audun Tørnquist and Quintin Pan -- among others.
https://redthreadgames.com/blog/4/2/2013/lead-designer-martin-bruusgaard-joins-red-thread-games

LastNac

they really don't need to do that, I think TLJ and Dreamfall fans are on PC,and Console people are going into new gen now and will focus on AAA shiny games and exclusive stuff. it will be like throwing money on expensive risky porting job to sell few units.

Umm, DreamFall Xbox fan here.

epmode

Obviously, a potential shift away from consoles would alienate some people but it might make sense from the developer's perspective. It can be very expensive to port and release a game on consoles, especially when your game is mostly crowd-funded.

To be honest, you miss out on a LOT by skipping The Longest Journey so I can't imagine there are many fans without a decent PC.

LastNac

Obviously, a potential shift away from consoles would alienate some people but it might make sense from the developer's perspective. It can be very expensive to port and release a game on consoles, especially when your game is mostly crowd-funded.

To be honest, you miss out on a LOT by skipping The Longest Journey so I can't imagine there are many fans without a decent PC.

So hard to do an arcade or PSN port?

epmode

So hard to do an arcade or PSN port?

The cost of the port can be minimized if it's taken into account from the start but it's not cheap even if everything is done correctly. Remember, PSN and XBLA are closed marketplaces so even getting released is questionable*. Then there are the usual console licensing fees, patch certification and the cut that Sony/Microsoft takes from every copy sold.

*Doesn't MS require XBLA games to be backed by a major publisher? Even more money down the drain.

Necrovex

The Xbox version of Dreamfall was my introduction to the franchise.

I finally played The Longest Journey back in late 2011, and I fully recommend playing through it. Hell, when this game is about to come out, I will probably replay through TLJ and Dreamfall to prepare myself. Of course, I'll be using a walkthrough for TLJ.

gabbo

No, he confirmed that one of the girls won't be playable. Didn't say it was Zoe. Didn't say they wouldn't both be in the game either.

Given what happens to April in Dreamfall, I'm guessing her. Then again, Zoe doesn't fair too well either, so... who knows.

Top Bottom