• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall: Chapters finally enters production

I was resigned to this never happening… I don't know how to take this news. I'm excited, nervous, scared; I'm feeling a lot of emotions right now. I believe in you, Ragnar.

Flawed as it was, Dreamfall was better. I really liked where they went with the characters and the story was more interesting in general. AND you didn't have to sit through 30 minute dialogue infodumps. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Zoe > April.

I disagree on all accounts. TLJ was miles better - in fact, Dreamfall wasn't that great at all. All the new characters were pretty bad, Zoe was unlikeable, and her interactions with her boyfriend were laughably unrealistic. The story was unfocused (not surprising when there were three main characters) and cliche-ridden (a troubled little girl with long black hair and paranormal abilities causing all the trouble - really? puke inducing), and the only truly interesting bits were those concerning April's development.

These were my impressions after playing it.

Dreamfall was a bit of a letdown. It was very pretty but the characters (except Zoe) had little depth and the gameplay was average. The ending was terrible and I hope the next instalments give Dreamfall a proper resolution.

Due to this thread I am installing it again and hope time has not been to harsh. The artbook that came with the collectors is very nice.

edit: Fooking hell! Starforce!

I'm hoping for more interactivity with less inflatable ducks. Do that and I'm happy. Extra bonus if you give the Rolling Man and the priest more screen time. But overall, it's great news and overdue.

I don't know what you're talking about. Using a calculator to solve the problem it solved made perfect sense...

...okay, it was literally the last thing in my inventory that I dragged onto the screen.

Oddly enough, I solved that puzzle in the first go. I think the logic I was going for was
the whole magic vs. science/technology thing.

Sober

I thought Zoe was quite likeable, but she's no April. April in TLJ is up there with the best of video game characters, for me.
Probably probably was we already did what we were doing with Zoe already in TLJ with April, even given the time jump. And the other guy was pretty well written but he had a pretty short arc within Dreamfall and it got cut off with the cliffhanger and Chapters taking forever to start (pre)production. At least he provided a different perspective on things.

Kattbuss

This is AMAZING news! I loved both of the previous games to bits.
If Ragnar were to read this, there's only one thing I want him to take away: More Crow please :)

FirewalkR

TLJ and Dreamfall are games that I absolutely LOVE, and despite the fact that I only played them a few years ago, I got lucky in the sense that I didn't have to wait for Dreamfall after playing TLJ, and now it seems my wait for Chapters is almost at an end.

Just kickstart this and my monies are yours, Ragnar!!!!

kSt

A new portion of information had arrived via https://twitter.com/RagnarTornquist
TCO_TSW: Does "an online-only continuation of the epic TLJ saga." mean that Funcom will make another TLJ game alongside Chapters?
RagnarTornquist: No, I don't think that's going to happen.

DaringDeity: you should work with Magnet again for #Dreamfall
RagnarTornquist: We would love to work with him again.

Tweety3D: Oh yes!Finally! So many year of waiting! Great! Not sure if I prefer episodic (like Walking Dead) format or full game:)
RagnarTornquist: We're not planning on an episodic format. Dreamfall Chapters will be a full game...but not necessarily the final game in the saga.

FirewalkR: Thanks for the GREAT news regarding #Dreamfall Chapters. Just kickstart it and my monies are yours! Best of luck!
RagnarTornquist: Thank you for your support! Stay tuned, I'll let everyone know when the Kickstarter...kickstarts.

CalinLeafshade: About damn time.
RagnarTornquist: I know, right?

Rhipratchett: Fantastic news, Ragnar! Can't wait for this.
RagnarTornquist: Thanks, Rhianna. Me neither! It's been a long time coming, but we'll definitely make it worth the long, long wait.

Maboroshi1994: it's so funny that you announced Dreamfall chapters, i only finished dreamfall for xbox for the 1st time 3 days ago. weird.
RagnarTornquist: Oh, we planned it like that. We've been waiting a LONG time for you to finish the bloody game. About time!

RagnarTornquist: I'm not for sale. But #Dreamfall will be! Look out for the Kickstarter early next year.

Sotantalus: Thanks a lot to @RagnarTornquist for coming back with TLJ ^^. We are waiting!! Will it be launched in PS3/Xbox by the way?
RagnarTornquist: #Dreamfall will initially be developed for PC and Mac. We are looking at PS/Xbox versions as well, but that's not a priority.

Hailtonothing: Will there be endgame and raids lols
RagnarTornquist: We'll keep the grinding to a minimum!

NikhilVerma: The best gaming news I will hear unless HL3 comes out :)
RagnarTornquist: Oh, come on -- #Dreamfall TOTALLY beats HL3. Wait...we are talking about Hellgate: London, right? Right?

Raiccely: It could be awesome... An online game based on Arcadia and Stark *__*
RagnarTornquist: Could be awesome...but that's not what we're doing. Single-player all the way.

DorwaChristo: You've made my day! I look forward to giving lots of money to your kickstarter! PS Any chance of a HD update of #TLJ?
RagnarTornquist: That would be awesome. Unfortunately, Red Thread Games doesn't own publishing rights to the original games, but maybe some day

ordinary_charm: what about the TLJ iOS? anw Im not gonna buy anything for the next 2 years since Im putting down $200 for Kicks #DF #TLJ
RagnarTornquist: Yay, thank you! I don't have any information on TLJ for iOS, unfortunately, but I'd love to see it come out.

Hogarthj: I hope it will join the first two on @GOGcom to complete the series complete
RagnarTornquist: We definitely want to see #Dreamfall Chapters on GOG. We'll make it happen!

Jmolbo: yeeeeaaaaaahhh .. awesome. Cant wait. Are you hiring? :)
RagnarTornquist: Thank you! And yes, we will be hiring, but the team won't be huge and we're going to grow quite slowly.

Efimpi: is it going to be episodic?
RagnarTornquist: Nope, it will not be episodic.

Guys... guys... guys! IT'S HAPPENING!

FGMPR

Banned
Maboroshi1994: it's so funny that you announced Dreamfall chapters, i only finished dreamfall for xbox for the 1st time 3 days ago. weird.
RagnarTornquist: Oh, we planned it like that. We've been waiting a LONG time for you to finish the bloody game. About time!

haha

inm8num2

No worries. I know the game's been out for awhile. To be honest I always figured the cliffhanger was something of that nature.

kSt

Dreamfall Chapters will be a single-player adventure game for PC and Mac
by Robert Purchese, http://www.eurogamer.net/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...a-single-player-adventure-game-for-pc-and-mac
Dreamfall Chapters will be a meaty, offline, single-player PC and Mac adventure game. It won't be point-and-click but a full 3D third-person affair. There won't, however, be any combat.
Dreamfall Chapters will also eventually take to Kickstarter for funding. "That's been the idea for a long time now," Tornquist revealed.
He wants to be rock-solid about budget before he reveals a Kickstarter figure, but said it should fall in-line with other notable projects on the site. I say $1 million.
"Although there have been some discussions in the past about taking Dreamfall Chapters online, it's not something I wanted to do myself. I wanted to a single-player game. It's definitely not going to be an online game," he made perfectly clear. "It's strictly a single-player game."
"Definitely [launch] won't be more than two years from now - it will be less than that," he said. "All of us are tired of working on productions that take too long; I don't think that's very beneficial. We want the production to be within a two-year period."

kSt

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh god, they're doing a Kickstarter for this too?

I mean, on the one hand I can see that because no one cares about adventure games anymore, but on the other hand... you'd think Funcom would be behind this more than they seem to be.

I mean, on the one hand I can see that because no one cares about adventure games anymore, but on the other hand... you'd think Funcom would be behind this more than they seem to be.
They're not Funcom anymore. If Funcom was behind it they'd still be with Funcom.

epmode

For people who were mad about Dreamfall or The Secret World (I wasn't for either), he sounds very eager, very humble, and very attuned to his audience. It may be superficial, but my confidence in the game has been boosted quite a bit from that.

We call them "awful people."

I am so excited about this game. You don't even know.

According to Tornquist, these characters will be joined by a number of familiar faces from the previous two games in the series, including Dreamfall protagonist Zoë who has changed drastically since the previous title.

"Zoë will be back," he tells us. "But she won't be the same Zoë we met in Dreamfall. Like all of our characters, she will have grown and evolved, and Dreamfall Chapters is going to take some daring twists and turns. Birth, life, death — it's about all of those things, and no one is safe from life. Growing up isn't easy, and Zoë will understand this better than most."

I loved how April changed between games. April's attitude in Dreamfall seemed like such a natural extension of her character arc yet it's something you so rarely see in videogames.

Midou

For people who were mad about Dreamfall or The Secret World (I wasn't for either), he sounds very eager, very humble, and very attuned to his audience. It may be superficial, but my confidence in the game has been boosted quite a bit from that.

I was just mad they added something like combat to it. I'm sure he wouldn't try that again, and it seems he isn't going to. I still hear good things about The Secret World in terms of story and lore, so I still need to check that out when it hits a steam sale. Longest Journey is my favorite adventure game, and I love adventure games, so I will follow this all closely.

Edit: Hold on a second..

"Its mechanics and combat, however, are an improvement upon what was previously seen in Dreamfall."

Dammit, I don't want it improved, get it out of there.

Kimaka

...Dreamfall, will feature three playable characters whose stories will intertwine throughout the game, including two female protagonists who are yet to be revealed, Red Thread Studios founder Ragnar Tornquist told Polygon in a recent interview.
Seems like there will be a lot of characters to follow assuming that April and Kian will be back along with Zoe. I hope the game does not get bogged down with so many different perspectives. Regardless, I'm excited.

Yeah, it's probably for the best that they get rid of combat altogether, but at the same time duking it out in Dreamfall was so easy it was inoffensive, so it didn't dilute my overall enjoyment of the game significantly. If there's combat then I'll tolerate it; I just hope the other components deliver.

Seems like there will be a lot of characters to follow assuming that April and Kian will be back along with Zoe. I hope the game does not get bogged down with so many different perspectives. Regardless, I'm excited.

I hope all the original voice actors are brought back. It's been a long time since Dreamfall.

This has me so excited; Tornquist is one of my favorites now after TSW. I don't mind that there isn't P-n-C elements, as I felt it was going to build upon Dreamfall's system.

Ragnar also tweeted this yesterday, saying "Shhhhh":

A-AKJaLCUAAUo7p.jpg

Edit: Hold on a second..

"Its mechanics and combat, however, are an improvement upon what was previously seen in Dreamfall."

Dammit, I don't want it improved, get it out of there.
How did you miss the very next line?

"A lot of the combat [in Dreamfall] was awful," says Tornquist. "That's gone."

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Everything Mr. Tonquist is saying sounds wonderful. <3

kickstarter launch party on feb 7th. I'll be there in case anyone has any requests , like photos of ragnar doing something weird, or whatever. maybe have him pose with a neogaf logo?

Top Bottom