• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall: Chapters finally enters production

But do we actually have confirmation that this sequel will end up as episodic? It might be implied in the name and Tornquist has mentioned the episodic nature of it years back, but now that it is his own "studio", wouldn't it be possible that it will be a full-fledged game rather than anything minor? There's nothing in the Tweets or in the press release that confirms it will be episodic.

Lol. You must have been waiting a long time for
up
, huh?

Not sure. Just going by the "chapters" title and Ragnar's comment of wanting to make DF episodic to get the content out faster than finishing the entire game. If its episodic, perhaps it will be handled like TT's The Walking Dead series, I honestly wouldn't mind that. But like I said, ill believe it when I see it. DF has been purported to be in development for eons now. It's practically in TLG/VS XIII territory for me

The Longest Journey is one of my favorite games of all time. Dreamfall, well, the story was awesome, but the adventuring was way too simplistic - there was only one puzzle that required any thought, the rest of the game was basically wandering around getting the story.

I'm very happy for the story to continue, because that's the great thing that links the two previous games, the quality of the story. Hopefully this new company can get the gameplay quality to match the story once more.

SparkTR

Holy shit, it's going to be a PC pnc Adventure game? That genre went from dead to amazing in a blink of an eye it seems.

I thought it was dead!

HappyBirthdayBlackKid.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
The Longest Journey is one of my favorite games of all time. Dreamfall, well, the story was awesome, but the adventuring was way too simplistic - there was only one puzzle that required any thought, the rest of the game was basically wandering around getting the story.

I'm very happy for the story to continue, because that's the great thing that links the two previous games, the quality of the story. Hopefully this new company can get the gameplay quality to match the story once more.

TLJ puzzles didn't really require thought either....they just required absurd amounts of experimentation.

Oh, what's that...a key on the train tracks? I think the best way of getting this is to get a piece of bread from my work and throw it out of my bedroom window, so that a seagull can come by and dislodge a rubber duck. I'll fish the duck out of the river, and head back home and swap my ring with a pair of plyers while working as a free electrician for my landlord. I'll then form a complex contraption out of my rubber duck, a band aid, and said plyers to safely grab the keys from the tracks.

Or I could have just used a broom handle to dislodge it...but that would have been too simple, right?

TLJ puzzles didn't really require thought either....they just required absurd amounts of experimentation.
I don't know what you're talking about. Using a calculator to solve the problem it solved made perfect sense...

...okay, it was literally the last thing in my inventory that I dragged onto the screen.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't know what you're talking about. Using a calculator to solve the problem it solved made perfect sense...

...okay, it was literally the last thing in my inventory that I dragged onto the screen.

Hah, to this day, I still don't get that puzzle at all.

Fantastic news. It's been a long time since I've played either The Longest Journey or Dreamfall so I'll have to make sure to go through them again before this comes out.

Khaz

We have a document that outlines exactly where the story is going to go, not only in Dreamfall Chapters but beyond that as well.
As we’ve acquired the license to do other titles in that universe as well, and while I just want to talk about Chapters now that doesn’t mean that’s the only story.

Good, good.

I can't remember that part?

LQX

Dreamfall was no where as good as The Longest Journey but I loved the shit out of it. Hated that it end on a cliffhanger. Cant wait.

Pikma

Banned
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, yes! at laaaaaaaaaaaast! OMG this is the best news of the whole year, yes yes yes yes I thought this would never happen! This is fantastic <3 We'll meet again, April Ryan.

Sober

was TLJ really that good? dreamfall was great so i cant imagine it being that much better.
Besides a few obtuse puzzles, TLJ was pretty damn good. I love both games equally, while some prefer one over another, but both are fantastic. They touch on the same themes in both games. You should give both of them a try though and decide for yourself.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/01/keep-the-faith-tornquist-talks-dreamfall-chapters/

This damn interview is fantastic. Can't get something like that anywhere else.

LQX

was TLJ really that good? dreamfall was great so i cant imagine it being that much better.

In the time and place I played it I would have to say yes. Dreamfall is good, but there numerous parts I just wanted to be over with. I did not want TLJ to ever end, that's how much I got caught up in that world. That game was magical experience for me, only second to Grim Fandango.

If you liked Dreamfall, I guarantee you will love TLG.

kSt

It’s summary time!
  • Tørnquist: (laughs)
  • ”The new studio is completely independent and we’ll be developing, producing and funding Dreamfall Chapters independently of Funcom.”
  • Kickstarter in the near future.
  • ”We have a document that outlines exactly where the story is going to go, not only in Dreamfall Chapters but beyond that as well
  • ”We have a small core team in place and we’re recruiting for the full team at this point. Within the next six months the team will grow, definitely.”
  • Will have more puzzles and be more challenging than Dreamfall, but try to keep story momentum. “…it’s a going to be all about the story – there won’t be any twitch combat or button mashing or anything like that.”
  • Story will continue from the moment Dreamfall ends.
  • ”Having characters and protagonists who are more human and perhaps more lost than most heroes in games is more interesting and something that we’ll continue in Dreamfall Chapters.”
  • ”There’s so much room now for invention. I think people play and appreciate differently than they did a few years ago. Whether it’s on PC and Mac or mobile platforms, gaming hours are spent very differently, and games have to change as well.”
  • ”A lot of people who played Dreamfall and TSJ did so with parents, or with significant others or with their siblings. <…> That’s definitely something we want to explore in Chapters. Dreamfall will never be a multiplayer game but it will definitely be a social game in that sense.”
  • Platforms at the moment: PC and Mac.
  • ”We’ll be talking more about the game in the next couple of weeks and then we’ll get down to business and design things. <…> In a couple of weeks we’ll go completely silent and re-emerge early next year with a lot more to show hopefully.”
More in the article!

Top Bottom