• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

wouwie

I really hope we will see the PS4 version at some point since i'd love to buy this game (i don't think it will run well on my current pc, judging by all the comments in this thread). Hopefully, it will be released well before all episodes are out. I was a huge fan of the original Dreamfall and i can't wait to get back into this interesting game world. Apparently, they are porting the game to Unity version 5 now, which is part of the work that needs to be done to get it on PS4. Fingers crossed that transition goes smoothly and hopefully there will be more news in the coming months.

Taruranto

Finished book 2.

It's kinda weird, I enjoy playing it, but after I'm done it always leaves a bad after tastes. Like, I don't want this to be some sort of telltale-esque experience, I want it to be The Longest Journey!

I still don't feel Zoe sequences, I'm tired of all the walking around (New area, a map or heck, even fast travel would help), they kinda feel "fillerish" sometimes. I'm warning up to Kian, it helps that his sections feel more plot-oriented and relevant.

How are the sales by the way? The game doesn't seem to much popular, at least around here. I mean, it makes sense because it's the third episode of a trilogy and GAF is not PC-oriented, but still.

How are the sales by the way?
I've never seen it in the top 20 sales list on Steam which isn't that hard for new releases from people with a track record to get on. I think the people that Kickstarted it are pretty much the entire audience for now, which was really the point of the Kickstarter in the first place. Stuff like the PS4 version and future sales once all the chapters come out will help out a bit, but this was very much a niche product that needed the fan money up front to get made.

addik

It's coming out this week? I had no idea it would be this soon, was this previously hinted at?

Nothing officially. Ragnar has been making hints at it in his twitter (or was it in the RTG forums/twitter?) that they decided to officially announce it this week instead of last to avoid being drowned out by the E3 hype.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Finally. These are coming out so slowly!

Does anyone get this weird, irritating audio bug when exiting the game? I have to reboot to get it to go away. It's like it iis repeating the last sound made by the game, really dreadful.

Lafazar

How are the sales by the way? The game doesn't seem to much popular, at least around here. I mean, it makes sense because it's the third episode of a trilogy and GAF is not PC-oriented, but still.

Steam Spy Data:
The Longest Journey:
Owners: 182,007 ± 11,123
Players in the last 2 weeks: 2,315 ± 1,254 (1.27%)
Players total: 97,949 ± 8,161 (53.82%)

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Owners: 121,101 ± 9,074
Players in the last 2 weeks: 835 ± 942 (0.69%)
Players total: 41,851 ± 5,335 (34.56%)

Dreamfall Chapters
Owners: 66,071 ± 6,703
Players in the last 2 weeks: 6,767 ± 2,145 (10.24%)
Players total: 48,974 ± 5,771 (74.12%)

Number of Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter Backers: 21,858 (70.38$ average pledge)

It's hard to judge since we are missing the sales from GOG (but from experience they are usually 1-2 orders of magnitude less than Steam, if that). I really hope that it's enough to actually finish the series and hopefully even allow Red Thread to go on.

Conezays

Enjoyed Book 1, but waiting for the books to all come out to jump back in. Do we have any idea how many books total there will be?

jediyoshi

Oh god. I'm not the only one.
I've found one so far. ONE

Steam forums to the rescue

1. Room she was reading on one of the pictures on the wall,
2. up the stairs turn on light see it on the ground,
3. her bedroom one behind her door
4. and one inside the dollhouse
5. and use the key behind the dollhouse door to open the music box for another one.
6. Kitchen high up plank, need a few before daddy moves to chair only then he helps,
7. one in kitchen under wooden table thing,
8. dining room on the chair
9. and on the cabinet between books.
http://steamcommunity.com//app/237850/discussions/0/523890046870841175/#p3

Vlaphor

Still haven't beat chapter 2 yet, haven't even gotten that far. The Kian section where you wander around a city with no mini-map doing a few objectives just isn't that much fun and I keep getting lost and bored. It sucks because I really liked part one, but I guess I'll try again.

25 fps in the first pan after the interlude with a 980Ti.

Unity <3

Edit: The puzzles are really bad so far. Massive fetchquests with no fucking context to anything. Go find 9 drawings you hid but won't give hints to even though you think out loud! Go find something to incapacitate someone in a massive city! Yes, that's totally vague but who cares! Wouldn't be half as a frustrating if their 3D camera system wasn't completely counter-intuitive to point and click bullshit.

jb1234

Disappointing. The entire game has been so disappointing so far. I don't know, it's just missing the heart that TLJ (and to a lesser extent, Dreamfall) had. I also hate how they're trying to mask lack of content with endless fetch quests.

goblin

Heads up. There's a bug where the game may not carry over some of your choices from Book Two. If you're like me and read the recap screen and thought it seemed wrong, you might want to double-check by loading up your final save game from Book Two and going through it to the choices breakdown.

The two affected choices are:
Whether Kian kissed Anna. The game will say he pulled away even if you chose otherwise.
If Zoe warned Queenie about Uminska. Queenie will act like Zoe kept it a secret regardless.

epmode

The game got some of my choices wrong in the intro to the latest book so I'm waiting for a patch. ..but if it's anything like the last book, I may be disappointed.

This game has a lot going for it. I *love* the design of Europolis and the character design in general. The voice acting and dialogue are still some of the best in the industry. It's just... everything outside of the story scenes and that first walk around Europolis has been a letdown. Lousy puzzles, massive areas with practically nothing to do, awful technical performance.

It feels like they ran out of cash. I'd have been happier with something on par with Dreamfall. Smaller, but focused.

The actual scenes were kind of adorable(neat to see a kid just being a kid in a game) but the facial animations for the little girl are horrifying.
237850_2015-06-25_00042uyg.png

I'm really hoping the episode improves as I continue to go along. Three of the worst puzzles in the game to date back to back followed by 30 minutes of forced slow walking with Zoe. Not very exciting stuff. Should have a few hours left though based on the last two chapters. Although I doubt this one will be as long as book 2.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I find it good practice to wait a patch or two before playing new installments of D:C.

Did they somehow make the fetch quests and busywork worse in this chapter? Ugh, I still love the writing and setting of Dreamfall, but the game they've built around it and the way they've paced things and padded out their content has been a real disappointment.

It feels like they ran out of cash. I'd have been happier with something on par with Dreamfall. Smaller, but focused.
Well they might have, the game hasn't sold particularly well and they've been developing these chapters for quite a while now. I agree with you and wish they had just made shorter and more focused episodes. Does anyone really enjoy having these episodes stretched out like this? Having just played Life is Strange, it's a pretty striking contrast how much better that game is structured and paced.

FoneBone

Haven't played Book 3 yet, but the reactions here make me really wish they had just gone for a Telltale-esque approach instead. Those big open environments are nifty the first time, but just get so tedious the more time you spend in them.

jediyoshi

oh boy if the first few puzzles of this episode are any indication, i think i'll just wait for a walk through. not sure who thought it was a good idea to open up almost the entire city and give vague instructions about what you might need to look for.

Well they might have, the game hasn't sold particularly well and they've been developing these chapters for quite a while now. I agree with you and wish they had just made shorter and more focused episodes. Does anyone really enjoy having these episodes stretched out like this? Having just played Life is Strange, it's a pretty striking contrast how much better that game is structured and paced.

the funny thing is that LIS also reuses areas, but because they're so much more self contained and focused, it's less of an issue. i just don't understand the structure of this game if the gameplay didn't actually warrant giant areas.

inm8num2

I was thinking about finally diving into this game, but I'll probably hold off again due to the reports of bugs and performance issues. What really concerns me is the negative feedback toward the content and puzzles.

As someone who hasn't played DC yet I'm speaking out of my ass, but I get the sense from all the reviews and comments that the sheer size of the game and environments has drained the team's efforts. Regardless, I have confidence in Ragnar and RTG - they've been working their asses off on this game. Hopefully they can smooth out the performance issues and have a better launch of the next book.

addik

Man, I guess I'm the only one liking the game here? I am surprised with all the negativity.

I don't mind going around fetch quests when Marcuria and Propast are just drop dead gorgeous and immersive. It does get frustrating at times. Oh well, I'll post more of my thoughts later (it's 4 am and I have to wake up at 7)

As for the bugged choices, it has now been patch. Apparently, Martin at the official forums said that it was due to some players finishing Book 2 and continuing from an unpatched version of Book 2, so it slipped through their QA team. They're already a very small team (of 11), so I can imagine most of the production issues is also due to how undermanned they are.

Anyway,
there was some really intense scenes in Propast with that German person coming out as Zoe's protector. Shitbot being Mr. London's warehouse was amazing. Seriously amazing.

I'm also pleasantly surprised of the LGBT representation. Hannah + her GF, and now apparently Kian has come out as well.

inm8num2

Bugs? No, I didn't trigger a single one yet. There were issues in Ep. 3, but developers solved them quickly by releasing a patch.
Despite what can appear from trailers, the size of the game is very small, you won't risk to lose yourself or similar.
Puzzles are not hard at all, only time wasting, because usually you just need to find stuff, like manholes, nodes, paintings etc, there's nothing complex here.

I wasn't concerned with puzzles being too hard or complex. My point was that the developers have probably had to spend much of their time and effort detailing the environments that they've not been able to give as much attention to puzzles or content. But again, that's based on what I've read and not my own play experience.

Also, describing the game as "large" is relative to what the story and gameplay necessitate. The two most common complaints are:

1. Relative lack of content for the size of the game's areas.
2. Excessive wandering that artificially pads playtime.

The Kian section where you wander around a city with no mini-map doing a few objectives just isn't that much fun and I keep getting lost and bored.

Really hope the game doesn't make you trek across the city endlessly again.

I also hate how they're trying to mask lack of content with endless fetch quests.

Lousy puzzles, massive areas with practically nothing to do, awful technical performance.

Did they somehow make the fetch quests and busywork worse in this chapter? Ugh, I still love the writing and setting of Dreamfall, but the game they've built around it and the way they've paced things and padded out their content has been a real disappointment.

Those big open environments are nifty the first time, but just get so tedious the more time you spend in them.

i just don't understand the structure of this game if the gameplay didn't actually warrant giant areas.

Acknowledging the complaints or observed flaws doesn't mean I compromise my faith in RTG or my interest in the game, however.

addik

IMO, I really disagree with the fetch quests being a way to mask the game's length.

Some of those tasks become quite tedious, especially since the game leaves you to discover the hotspots for yourself, but many of the tasks are important plot-wise. Kian's quests in Book 2 gave you a look on the politics inside and outside of the rebellion, for example. The only really frustrating tasks were
the drawings, since one drawing is completely hidden, and finding the Eversong, since there was no hint at that
. Most other puzzles/quests can be easily solved if you observe your surroundings and talk to people.

Which brings me to how I actually disagree with how the game does not warrant these big open areas. Yes, if we're talking about gameplay, the game does nothing interesting in these worlds. They're just pretty set pieces, definitely. However, think about the premise of the game, which has always been about Stark and Arcadia being two worlds in the opposite side. The game has to show just how different these worlds are and how dreams or some shadowy entity are threatening the balance in Dreamfall and Dreamfall: Chapters. World building is extremely vital in the game, and aural cues or dialogues are not enough to build it for us. Exploring the world, or patches of the world, is vital to seeing this escalating crisis. The existence of these hubs is important in the game's narrative.

I also would not say the worlds are empty. One of the things I find really cool about Dreamfall: Chapters is just simply walking around Marcuria and Propast and seeing the diverting opinions and general social climate of the town/world. It helps in being immersed in the story and showing how just how fucked up our choices, and the characters' actions can be. I generally like how gradually Propast becomes even more and more fucked up as each book passes
especially in Book 3 when it becomes an empty hub, and I like how the Reaping festival contrasts the recent invasion of Oldtown

So yes, I really enjoy the game for that. It may not be for everyone, and it certainly trades easiness with immersion, to the point of frustration at times, but the whole world and the narrative is wonderfully crafted IMO. It's a shame that there is a lot of criticism in this thread (valid though)

(Sidenote: Then again, Silent Hill 2 is my favorite game, aka that game that features a 15-minute walking simulator just to creep you out/welcome you to Silent Hill in the most oppressive way)

The only shitty thing that breaks the immersion is its technical values. I hate going from a smooth 30 fps to a 15fps in really random places.

And the pacing of the story is rough at times, we're in Book 3 and I just feel like shit is just only about to happen. Then again, I feel the same way about Life is Strange so maybe it's more of an episodic thing?

And the pacing of the story is rough at times, we're in Book 3 and I just feel like shit is just only about to happen. Then again, I feel the same way about Life is Strange so maybe it's more of an episodic thing?

I haven't finished Dreamfall book 3, but I don't agree with you on Life is Strange. LIS has made steady progress, especially in terms of character development, and I can easily see it wrapping up satisfactorily in 2 more episodes. Dreamfall on the other hand has a far more ambitious and larger scope plot that will be difficult to finish. There are a lot more characters and 2 separate worlds in contrast to LIS' small cast and a scale focused on one small town.

addik

I haven't finished Dreamfall book 3, but I don't agree with you on Life is Strange. LIS has made steady progress, especially in terms of character development, and I can easily see it wrapping up satisfactorily in 2 more episodes. Dreamfall on the other hand has a far more ambitious and larger scope plot that will be difficult to finish. There are a lot more characters and 2 separate worlds in contrast to LIS' small cast and a scale focused on one small town.

Oh yeah, definitely agree with you on LiS, but Episode 3 spoilers
I thought the alternative timeline was a cool, albeit jarring twist, and I'm sort of guessing how, if we are going to, go back and forth from the alternate timeline to the new timeline in 2 books, while solving all the other mysteries. I just feel like it was dropped out of nowhere, but generally yes, LiS at this point has more character development more than Dreamfall at this point, and I do feel that LiS will wrap things more tightly than Dreamfall, and the former doesn't really tease events as much as the latter does.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im still waiting for this to finish before i play it, but sad to see performance issues and criticisms. I hope they at least finish the episodes.

Teppic

I'm in book 2 and lost in the city. Looking for vents. Kill me now.

Would it hurt them to include a good map in the game? Those in game maps are useless.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the game, or more like enjoying the story. The gameplay is just as awful as the first Dreamfall. Just fetch quests and no puzzles, with long walking back and forth.

Edit: Had one puzzle now that was fun to solve, more of that. The quest update was bullshit though.

I still think it's annoying how Kian's quest updates don't reflect what happens half the time leaving you completely confused as unlike Zoe he doesn't actually have a journal that fills out.

yup performance still sucks in the first book. dropped to 25fps on a i5/970

what.
There was a point in Book 3 where I dropped to 17fps. My computer ran the Witcher 3 maxed at around 45-60.

If this game had a Batmobile my framerate would go back in time.

jediyoshi

i am of the complete opposite opinion my self. i love how minimalistic the whole game looks and feels (like a game will look in pictures but not actaully in game). I am a big fan of the context sensitive actions and the lack of maps and a permanent mini map in the screen. There are maps everywhere to look at and after five minutes its easy enough to learn the whole map (lets face it they are not huge).

Even by adventure game standards, they're completely massive, especially by virtue of having a gameplay loop where you repeatedly inspect everything and have limited movement speed. The issue is that there's a lack of scale in fidelity in terms of the importance of objects or areas, so you end up having to look at everything equally exhaustively.

Old adventure games got around this two ways: using less detail in unimportant areas (so you only had to focus more on specific spots within areas) and keeping areas self contained and small to stay manageable. Meanwhile in Chapters, the outside of the bar looks as important as the inside of the bar, the side of the street looks as important as the back of this alley, these tools in a corner look as important as this potted plant. It's pixel hunt game design on crack.

The issue is exemplified in the opening sequence with the drawing tucked in between two completely nondescript books. There's no rhyme or reason in it having ended up there, no visual indicators to lead you there. Aside from her room, everything in the house slowly starts to bleed together in terms of visual cues, in that there are none.

The actual layout of the areas isn't the issue so much as the lack of context for any goals you have, but that half of the gameplay issues has already been beaten to death.

Top Bottom