• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
there's a kidbot and a shitbot whaaaattttttt

Already more meaningful choices than The Walking Dead.

Love devs that have the balls, vision and the creative freedom to actually put in branching paths and significant chunks of unique, missable content into their game. This is the kind of thing that lends actual weight to player choices. Witcher 2 did this as well.

The problem with this is that if you picked the choice that got you Kid Bot instead of Shit Bot then you fucked up badly and need to restart the game.

How do I get the bottle of baijiu?

I can't do anything with the people that are arguing. They just tell me to wait my turn/stop interrupting.

danm999

How do I get the bottle of baijiu?

I can't do anything with the people that are arguing. They just tell me to wait my turn/stop interrupting.

Use your credit chit thing on them and offer to pay the 10 yuan difference. The guy will feel so embarrassed that he'll pay the sticker amount and leave. You then need to get a bidding war going between the two vendors until they offer it to you for 2000 yuan.

Kezen

Banned
Just bought this, enjoying it a lot (writing is superb) but holy craaaap does it run bad.
50% GPU usage, DX9, one core maxed, what the fuck are they doing ?

It runs really bad for what it looks like, that's what I'd call a game not optimized at all.

epmode

They're trying to stuff a large scale game into Unity. I've played a few games like that and they all have performance problems.

Kezen

Banned
They're trying to stuff a large scale game into Unity. I've played a few games like that and they all have performance problems.

That's too bad really. I'll buy the next book for sure but performance issues like this are jarring.

epmode

The nature of the engine makes Unity very attractive to companies with tight financial constraints. The fact that Dreamfall Chapters exists at all is still amazing to me. Same goes for Might and Magic X. So I guess I see it as: I'd rather play these games with performance issues than not at all.

derFeef

New update!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1108075

In other words: Book Two is currently the only thing on our minds here at RTG central, and we're getting closer by the day. There's polishing going on, there's intense bug fixing, there are a few voice recording sessions left -- it's crunch time.

And, as we said before Christmas, when we're about 10-12 days away from release, we'll announce a landing ti-- uh, a date.

Before then, however, there's plenty to talk about. Starting next week, we'll be ramping up our enormous PR and marketing machine in order to get everyone talking about Dreamfall Chapters Book Two: Rebels!

Eat3QKs.png

Conezays

Stoked! Have the performance issues being ironed out in Book 1? Played it at launch and enjoyed it, but the tech issues were a bit irritating.

Meltsi

Neo Member
Any idea for ps4 release? Think they do a whole game rather than episode thingy

Just completed TLG in my ipad, great port :)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I can't even grumble about the time between releases. I've taken a firm "better late than never" stance on this entire franchise.

jb1234

Excited for Book 2. Book 1 started some interesting things but was pretty sluggish, overall. Hoping that things really pick up!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like we're gonna start hitting the meatier parts of the story now.

Mikeside

This has probably been answered, but my quick scroll of the thread turned up empty.

Can I go into this blind and know what's going on? I've not played any of the previous titles

LiQuid!

This has probably been answered, but my quick scroll of the thread turned up empty.

Can I go into this blind and know what's going on? I've not played any of the previous titles

Not recommended. Play both games first IMO, but at LEAST play the first Dreamfall. It's a direct continuation of that game's story, which leaves off on like half a dozen ball busting cliffhangers that most of us had to live with for half a decade.

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are less directly related from a story perspective, but TLJ introduces one third of the main cast of Dreamfall (April) and the entire basis of the world they both take place in. It's also the best of all the games so far (if you use a FAQ to get thru some of the more absurd puzzles).

Also, this is kind of covered in the OP:
PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT NOTES:

If you haven't played The Longest Journey or Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, and wish to do so unspoiled, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER -- THERE ARE SOME SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS GAMES IN THE OT. While I am trying to gloss over the biggest plot points and spoilers, it is impossible to recap the series without referencing some spoilers from both games. I strongly, strongly urge anyone who has not played the previous games to do so first: not only because they are great games, with The Longest Journey remaining a seminal classic of the medium, but because your ability to understand and enjoy the rich worlds will be increased dramatically with familarity with the material. While you can play this game without any knowledge of the previous games, and it has been designed to bring you up to speed, please do yourself a favor and experience the entire Longest Journey Saga.

Mikeside

Not recommended. Play both games first IMO, but at LEAST play the first Dreamfall. It's a direct continuation of that game's story, which leaves off on like half a dozen ball busting cliffhangers that most of us had to live with for half a decade.

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are less directly related from a story perspective, but TLJ introduces one third of the main cast of Dreamfall (April) and the entire basis of the world they both take place in. It's also the best of all the games so far (if you use a FAQ to get thru some of the more absurd puzzles).

Also, this is kind of covered in the OP:

Thanks, I started reading that bit of the op but it said to stop!

Are the first two games still considered very good, or have they aged horribly like Gray Matter?

Vlodril

If i am not mistaken there is a recap at the main menu. you may lose some nuances but you should be ok to play it.

epmode

Are the first two games still considered very good, or have they aged horribly like Gray Matter?

While TLJ's graphics and animation are dated as hell, the writing and voice acting fare much better. It's an excellent story, worth playing even though I prefer Dreamfall. I'd suggest to play it with a guide close by.

I find that the most interesting thing about this series is watching the characters change from game to game and you'll miss that by skipping straight to Chapters. April Ryan, the main character from TLJ, has a particularly interesting arc.

LiQuid!

Thanks, I started reading that bit of the op but it said to stop!

Neither were great "games" to begin with per se. TLJ is kind of a relic of 90s obtuse adventure game, but it's seminal and amazing for its characters and writing. 100% worth experiencing. Dreamfall is much, much less puzzle intensive and is more of a modern, Tell-Tale style interactive story. It's puzzles are far simpler so it's easier to just blaze thru it for its great story. I'd say both are easy enough to go back to, yes. And definitely worth it. This is one of the best stories and settings in all of gaming in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
That's fine. While they fix bugs, I'll play Hotline Miami 2.

Esque7

I'm planning on getting a new laptop soon and I'm dying to play this game but I hear it's not optimized very well :( The laptop I'm looking at isn't very powerful, but I just want to know if I can get the game to play at least on low settings. This is what I'm getting I think.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm planning on getting a new laptop soon and I'm dying to play this game but I hear it's not optimized very well :( The laptop I'm looking at isn't very powerful, but I just want to know if I can get the game to play at least on low settings. This is what I'm getting I think.

Doesn't have a dedicated GPU so can be hard to gauge unless someone else has a similar setup. I'd search the Dreamfall forums for Intel 5300 (the on board video) and see what others are reporting.

Minimum graphics is Intel 4000 so it should at least boot.

Esque7

Doesn't have a dedicated GPU so can be hard to gauge unless someone else has a similar setup. I'd search the Dreamfall forums for Intel 5300 (the on board video) and see what others are reporting.

Minimum graphics is Intel 4000 so it should at least boot.

That's a start, I'll take it lol. Thanks though, I'll check out the forums.

Conezays

Totally forgot this was coming out (soon). Hoping the technical issues are a bit improved from the first chapter, but not holding my breath.

Top Bottom