• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

Conezays

Only played the first episode (in 2014? Wow.) but looking forward to playing them all once the 5th episode is finally out. Hopefully the new engine is a bit more stable than the game was at first.

Hopefully it will be playable before E3.

GenerousDisfiguredAmericanriverotter.gif

In case you're only making fun of me for my "Hopefully we'll get a release date soon" post. Well played.

Man, if you've read the latest update, you can see the episodic thing did not work well for RTG. They could have planned this better, but holy shit Dreamfall: Chapters was a logistical nightmare for them. From having a key member being forced to take time off (paternal leave, as mandated by the gov't) to having to change engines midway, to losing contact with their important voice talents due to a death. It was some shoddy planning with even shoddier luck.

I really wished they would have just released this as one game, trim out the fat, add features in for a PS4 Port (update PC/Mac users via free update), etc.

RTG is mighty talented though. Can't wait to see their future projects.

Who died?

Man, if you've read the latest update, you can see the episodic thing did not work well for RTG. They could have planned this better, but holy shit Dreamfall: Chapters was a logistical nightmare for them. From having a key member being forced to take time off (paternal leave, as mandated by the gov't) to having to change engines midway, to losing contact with their important voice talents due to a death. It was some shoddy planning with even shoddier luck.

I really wished they would have just released this as one game, trim out the fat, add features in for a PS4 Port (update PC/Mac users via free update), etc.

RTG is mighty talented though. Can't wait to see their future projects.

I don't know...

I adored TLJ and found Dreamfall to be enjoyable. Dreamfall Chapters, however, has been a disappointment. I couldn't make myself to continue to play the game. I had to resort to watching Lets Plays and skipping to the interesting parts.

Corpekata

Banned
Is this ever coming to consoles? OP says 2015 and here we are almost halfway into 2016.

It was meant to after episode 2, but it runs like crap so they had to port it to Unity 5.

So it'll probably land there eventually, just after the game is finished and polished, because even after the port it doesn't run the best.

Taruranto

This whole thing has been a clusterfuck.

Hard for me to feel sorry for them when they choose to release a game that follows the expensive telltale formula rather than a more simple adventure game with a focus on puzzles like TLJ was.

It doesn't help that the story has been very bad. Zoe part especially are a clusterfuck of bad pacing and "what the fuck is going on? What was the point of that?".

Mivey

It doesn't help that the story has been very bad. Zoe part especially are a clusterfuck of bad pacing and "what the fuck is going on? What was the point of that?".
Sounds like it's a worthy sequel to Dreamfall. Honestly. I'm just looking for some closure on the story, not even to answer every question, just enough to get a basic idea on what the big picture is. Haven't played it so far, was waiting for Episode 5, so I guess I'll also see how much of the negativity is actually warranted. Probably very little, since Tornquist is an incredibly talented writer.

Humdinger

This whole thing has been a clusterfuck.

Hard for me to feel sorry for them when they choose to release a game that follows the expensive telltale formula rather than a more simple adventure game with a focus on puzzles like TLJ was.

Damn, that sounds disappointing.

I was a fan of the second game (played on 360), so I was looking forward to this, but it's dragging on too long. I guess I'll stop waiting.

Someone send up a flare when the game finally (if ever) arrives on console.

epmode

The first chapter was so promising. I love it love it love it.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game was hamstrung by budget shortfalls. I suppose they wanted to use revenue from the first chapter to build the rest of the game. Didn't really work out.

If you love Tornquist like I do, it's still worth playing. The voice acting and dialogue is mostly as good as anything in Dreamfall. The art design is excellent too.

Ludens

Banned
The game just got new achievements added, the official release date for episode 5 will be revealed on Friday.

I'm looking forward to finishing book 5 when it comes out and then immediately starting a new game. I'm not too sure about some of my choices, especially in book 4. Book 4 spoilers:
I don't know if trusting Brian Westhouse was the right thing to do.
We'll see how it plays out though.

Sober

The first chapter was so promising. I love it love it love it.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game was hamstrung by budget shortfalls. I suppose they wanted to use revenue from the first chapter to build the rest of the game. Didn't really work out.

If you love Tornquist like I do, it's still worth playing. The voice acting and dialogue is mostly as good as anything in Dreamfall. The art design is excellent too.
I think I need to replay it start to finish when episode 5 comes out or shortly after. It's been coming out piecemeal so long that I barely remember most of the plot details, and it felt like episodes 2 and 3 didn't really go anywhere for the longest time, unfortunately.

Lime

Thinking off

By the way, when do backers get their goodies? Have people received their boxes and artbooks yet? I was on the 75 digital tier but have only gotten the game so far.

im looking forward to playing this chapter along with everyone else. i didnt really have a good gaming pc until recently so i had to catch up on the other chapters. at least that meant a lot of the bugs had been worked out by the time i got to them.

jediyoshi

For anyone who hasn't played any chapters yet, I'd suggest holding off until the final part comes out. Given the wonkiness in porting the older parts to the new Unity and them now saying they've been retooling the older stuff, it's worth a wait.

Kimaka

Thinking off

By the way, when do backers get their goodies? Have people received their boxes and artbooks yet? I was on the 75 digital tier but have only gotten the game so far.

I backed the physical copy and I haven't heard anything yet. They are supposed to be shipped after the game is complete. Hopefully they will address this soon after Book 5 has released.

I got the GOG free game reward of this game and I totally forgot I already have it in my Steam library. But it has gotten me to finally start up the first TLJ game and boy is it an adventure game. Pretty much have a guide tab on my phone for some of the item combining (
duck clamp fishing is something I would've never figured out
.) But I am enjoying it outdated graphics and all. The female lead is a really nice and interesting break from the norm.

Lime

Wondering if I should play through TLJ, Dreamfall and then this. It's been almost 10 years since I played them and they were really great experiences.

nubbe

Wondering if I should play through TLJ, Dreamfall and then this. It's been almost 10 years since I played them and they were really great experiences.

I just started and I don't really remember much, if anything from the other games.... been too long and I only did them once

gabbo

I mean, I can't suggest not playing through TLJ again, as it's awesome, but so far this has been Zoe's story, not April's.

jb1234

Getting a six gig update now. I guess this is it. I can finally play this game! I haven't seen anything past the first chapter.

jediyoshi

Book 5

Alright I give up, how do I move past the first room?

Got it. Hint
Continue inspecting the objects in the room

jediyoshi

I've tried twice now and I'm getting a crash to desktop during a specific loading screen moving forward. Time to email some error logs.

Book 5 is out? Sweet! I was waiting for them all to be released to start. Excited :D

Edit: Maybe someone should make a new thread so people like me know it's complete? (And also mention the Book 1 improvements.)

It was a pretty good ending for both Dreamfall and The Longest Journey. And still sets up Longest Journey Home. But if they don't get to that anytime soon with all the other projects they have, I'm still pretty satisfied with where the series was left.

Kinda wonder how the entire game holds together if you play it all at once. I'll probably try it sometime eventually, but not anytime soon.

The one downside is with all the people and locations they have to cover in the endings there's a lot of load screens, which I'm really not used to these days.

ampere

Just beat Book 5, took me 3 - 4 hours.

Overall happy with the conclusion. Some stuff was weird, but still made sense.

Some of my thoughts, Book 5 spoilers:
Really happy with the Lady Alvane explanation, but who are Saga's parents and what was their whole deal with the house? I felt a bit lost on that. The looping timelines thing is neat and works with the lore of the universe.

And who is the baby daddy for Zoe? It says "we will never tell" lol. If it were Reza they could just show him? Or perhaps there's an alternate path where she has a different partner and they just didn't want to have two different scenes.

Brian Westhouse being this big villain did seem like it was coming, but also felt like it may not have been planned during The Longest Journey. He never seemed evil there, could have had a bit better foreshadowing if they had it planned then, but it's been a long time.

It was a pretty good ending for both Dreamfall and The Longest Journey. And still sets up Longest Journey Home. But if they don't get to that anytime soon with all the other projects they have, I'm still pretty satisfied with where the series was left.

Kinda wonder how the entire game holds together if you play it all at once. I'll probably try it sometime eventually, but not anytime soon.

The one downside is with all the people and locations they have to cover in the endings there's a lot of load screens, which I'm really not used to these days.

The Longest Journey Home? Didn't realize they had another game planned, but there's definitely room for more stories to tell.

I actually just replayed The Longest Journey and Dreamfall this past March when I remembered that I backed Chapters and wanted to refresh myself to play it. Dreamfall is still awful from a gameplay PoV, but the story is still good. Almost just better to watch clips on Youtube than to suffer through the fetch quests and awful combat.

The Longest Journey holds up as well as you'd expect. Puzzles are still solid, though it could use a fresh coat of paint I enjoyed playing it again.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see the game got finished. Without going into specifics, Book 5 covered quite a bit of ground.

So, now we wait for TLJ Home Kickstarter? Or how's that working?

The Longest Journey Home? Didn't realize they had another game planned, but there's definitely room for more stories to tell.
One of the last stretch goals on their kickstarter was a second game called Longest Journey Home which would be a 2D follow up to April's story that's more in the style of the original game. They never reached that goal, but still plan to make it some day.

That's why the achievement when April and Crow walk away with each other is called The Longest Journey Home and says they're setting out for their final journey together.

And who is the baby daddy for Zoe? It says "we will never tell" lol. If it were Reza they could just show him? Or perhaps there's an alternate path where she has a different partner and they just didn't want to have two different scenes.
In my case I think
it's because Zoe flirted with her psychiatrist but also never broke up with Reza.
Did you do something different?

ampere

One of the last stretch goals on their kickstarter was a second game called Longest Journey Home which would be a 2D follow up to April's story that's more in the style of the original game. They never reached that goal, but still plan to make it some day.

That's why the achievement when April and Crow walk away with each other is called The Longest Journey Home and says they're setting out for their final journey together.

Ah, gotcha.

In my case I think
it's because Zoe flirted with her psychiatrist but also never broke up with Reza.
Did you do something different?

I did the same as you. I'll have to check back at http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/Choices_in_Dreamfall_Chapters when it gets fully updated

Conezays

Not to depress fellow fans, but Ragnar has said within the past couple weeks not to hold your breath:

https://twitter.com/ragso/status/741008032528801794

http://redthreadgames.com/forum/top...social-media-news-discussion-thread/?p=128687

http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/The_Longest_Journey_Home

"We dearly love this saga, and our fans, and wrapping up Chapters has been an emotional experience for all of us. It's satisfying but heartbreaking, and part of me would love to jump right into TLJH to tell a personal and soulful story about a character I care deeply about…but for many, many reasons I don't think it will happen."

Top Bottom