• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamhack Summer 2012 Thread: SC2/DOTA2/HoN/LoL/CS/Quake/BF3/SF4AE/SFxT June 16-18

Deadman

So stephano 2-0'd both of the koreans in his group and is through to the next stage. I imagine he will also now beat the unknown foreigner protoss.

Haunted

So stephano 2-0'd both of the koreans in his group and is through to the next stage. I imagine he will also now beat the unknown foreigner protoss.
Looks like I was worried for nothing. That boy is just too good.

I think Puma will pull through against Daisy now.

ksan

So I missed the games, but I'm really happy that aL showed that good teams perform when it matters (I assume? maybe their opponents just went 4-0-1 and failed?)

profit

Bullshit thats a draw.... Dragon has no minerals, only three floating buildings..... If he could not hide his buildings, they would go down anyway.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
That was a pretty wacky game though, even though it did end in a draw.

I am watching the B stream, I liked incontrol's comments on Apollo when he piped in the game to ask if it was a draw.

Is it just me or they're casting the same game in two different streams, with different casters?

Yes they are both casting the same game.

Dragon didn't know about the draw and appolo shouldn't have said anything, i'm a dragon fan but that's disgraceful that appolo interfered in the game like that.

Dragon should have been able to end the game if he hadn't fell to pieces.

Also can i just say again that incontrol/khaldor are a great combo. Incontrol in particular is really fun to listen to. I don't know why so many people are on the main stream, wheat is such a terrible caster.

They should just make some mechanic where buildings have some set amount of "fuel" where if they are midair for too long of a time (like 5 minutes plus), they run out and crash/explode.

Agreed that he shouldn't have said anything, but how do you know Dragon wasn't aware of the draw possibility?

Because he was letting all of his buildings get killed? He wasn't even attempting to fly away.

He also typed T_T like he was about to GG right before apollo said anything and then right after apollo said that dragon lifted off his buildings.

If he knew he would have done that sometime in the 20 minutes prior.

But he was trying to kill the extractors which would have given him a win. The Zerg only had 2 extractors and 150 minerals left so Dragon had to kill (at most) 5 extractors.

Exactly dragon was trying to kill the extractors but he was showing no intention of forcing a draw.

2MF

Exactly dragon was trying to kill the extractors but he was showing no intention of forcing a draw.

Why would he try to force a draw while a win was still possible?

He could have preemptively flew a building to the corner, I'll give you that, but that's not proof that he didn't know about the draw.

Why would he try to force a draw while a win was still possible?

He could have preemptively flew a building to the corner, I'll give you that, but that's not proof that he didn't know about the draw.

Why was he sitting there whilst the last of his buildings were dying? Like i said he even typed in T_T like he was going to GG. I'm not 100% certain he didn't know but ultimatelty it doesn't matter, apollo didn't know that and he shouldn't have said anything.

StayDead

Dragon didn't know about the draw and appolo shouldn't have said anything, i'm a dragon fan but that's disgraceful that appolo interfered in the game like that.

Dragon should have been able to end the game if he hadn't fell to pieces.

Also can i just say again that incontrol/khaldor are a great combo. Incontrol in particular is really fun to listen to. I don't know why so many people are on the main stream, wheat is such a terrible caster.

What? DJWheat is a really good caster when he's with both Apollo and Day9. Day9 and Apollo together I feel are the best casters overall though.

I used to like Tastosis but their casting style relies on far too many jokes and in Tastless' case it feels like the jokes have run out :/

hamchan

Lately Tastosis's casting feels like they're just going through the motions. The best cast they've done recently is when the Kespa players played at MLG and they could talk about old BW strategies. Felt good to actually hear the passion.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Dota should be starting soon, not sure who is organizing this but they've done a pretty awful job.

red731

I haven't had any problem with video or audio yesterday, but today, in 720p+, the video is okay(sometimes not) and audio is cutting itself off after two seconds...

360p is good tho...not quality wise...

Haunted

They should just make some mechanic where buildings have some set amount of "fuel" where if they are midair for too long of a time (like 5 minutes plus), they run out and crash/explode.
Make it use up energy on the CC, and limit floating to a short time (60 seconds at most) for the other major buildings. It's mostly used to quickly switch add-ons anyway, or to move from one base to the next.

Making CC float use up energy adds another risk/reward element to the regular game (do I use the scan/mule now and "ground" myself?) and coupled with the other change makes unlimited floating to force draws at the end impossible.

Cop Top (the noname team) with the level 1 Roshan. Love it.

As I post this, NaVi are now ahead 4-0 and all the advantage has been nullified. Super aggressive tri lane messes them up big time.

StayDead

Make it use up energy on the CC, and limit floating to a short time (60 seconds at most) for the other major buildings. It's mostly used to quickly switch add-ons anyway, or to move from one base to the next.

Making CC float use up energy adds another risk/reward element to the regular game (do I use the scan/mule now and "ground" myself?) and coupled with the other change makes unlimited floating to force draws at the end impossible.

The main use for floating buildings is scouting. If they remove that I'll be screwed as in TvT I use my rax to scout and TvP I use my factory :(

twofold

It seems excessive to change the floating ability just to prevent that one in a thousand draw.

Floating buildings with unlimited flight time are just dumb. They add nothing to the game at all. There is no reason at all why Blizzard can't put a requirement that states that a floating building has to land for 30 seconds to "refuel" after spending five minutes flying.

2MF

Floating buildings with unlimited flight time are just dumb. They add nothing to the game at all. There is no reason at all why Blizzard can't put a requirement that states that a floating building has to land for 30 seconds to "refuel" after spending five minutes flying.

If flying buildings need to refuel why don't flying units also need to?

twofold

If flying buildings need to refuel why don't flying units also need to?

I don't care about lore reasons or whatever. It's just dumb from a gameplay perspective. Terrans can get draws in situations that they shouldn't, and there's plenty of idiotic Terran players on the ladder that like to draw out games by flying their buildings out to all corners of the map.

Deadman

They should just make overlords count as buildings, then everyone is happy.

Well except protoss, but who cares about them.

2MF

I don't care about lore reasons or whatever. It's just dumb from a gameplay perspective. Terrans can get draws in situations that they shouldn't, and there's plenty of idiotic Terran players on the ladder that like to draw out games by flying their buildings out to all corners of the map.

How often does that happen? Their opponent has to be in a position that they don't have flying units and can't make any, which should be very rare.

How often does that happen? Their opponent has to be in a position that they don't have flying units and can't make any, which should be very rare.

The only time this really comes up (draws) is in base trade games so it's much more likely than it might seem

Top Bottom