• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drift0r (Ghosts leaker) RUMOR: Sledgehammers COD is futuristic?

fasTRapid

Banned
I'm pretty sure Sledgehammer were previously working on an open world Call of Duty before the three-year development cycle was announced/confirmed.

Open world futuristic first person shooter with inspiration from Oblivion with huge guns and good lighting? That could be fucking awesome and completely rejuvenate the franchise. Drift0r is also a pretty trustworthy source as well, so this could get really interesting.
Oh boy, just imagine BO II art and gameplay in an Oblivion universe and open-world!! Haven't played CoD since BO but would jump in immediately!

Didn't this guy only get half of his Ghosts predictions correct? He was right about the plot, but wrong about the whole "scavenged weapons" thing, as well as the Titanfall-style before-mission multiplayer contextual cutscenes.

Same YouTuber?

900bv

Banned
Didn't this guy only get half of his Ghosts predictions correct? He was right about the plot, but wrong about the whole "scavenged weapons" thing, as well as the Titanfall-style before-mission multiplayer contextual cutscenes.

Same YouTuber?

I think so, but I think that can be attributed to the game changing after the leak happening, rather than him simply stating false information. Unless he is a psychic, there is no way he could've guessed the plot details.

Goomba64

Banned
What does that even mean? What huge gun from Titanfall? How are huge guns even something unique to Titanfall?

I could live with that. Allows for more creativity than what we had so far.
I assume he means a gun bigger in size than what you normally see in COD and physically looks like a Titanfall weapon?
Already begins super shady: "Hey you can talk about any of this but don't show it!"
I wouldn't doubt Driftor, his Ghosts leaks were pretty spot on and Activision has flown him out to preview games in the past. I really believe Sledgehammer is using him to get some early feedback

Wasp

I would kill for a CoD that looked like this:

4564-25-978052.jpg

ramuh

Activision feeling that Titanfall pressure.

And so many rumors/leaks today. What gives?

There is a lot going on today. So many threads! Lol. It's good cuz it's a snow day.

TBH this is the next logical step for the universe. Maybe this will showcase some creativity in weapon design.

KORNdoggy

So futuristic shooters are the new hot?

Sadly, this is how the industry works.

Dev 1 strikes gold with an awesome WW2 FPS, every dev after that point copies it until everyone is sick of WW2 and games in that era are never made again.

Same happened to modern, present day, military combat.

Now it's future combat's turn.

Problem i find, is that despite how refreshing it would actually be to have a range of era's and themes. Developers generally won't do that. I think it's why i'm as excited as i am for Wolfenstein. It's basically pissed on all the current fads and trends in the first person shooter space and feels new again because of it. Rather then chase the success of modern military shooters or future warfare shooters. They're doing their own thing and standing out because of it. More developers need to stop following and try to actually lead.

We've all known Titanfall was coming to try to take the crown for a while, so it makes sense Activision would counter it with their own sci fi stuff. And since this would surely have a single player campaign and other non adversarial modes, it'll get my money.

Wasn't Sledgehammer working on a futuristic CoD title in the third person before they were called upon to bail MW3 out?
That was the big rumor.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
didnt vince and that leave infinity ward because activision wouldn't let them make a future warfare game, to which they now allow sledgehammer to make lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Same YouTuber?

Well I mean if he nailed the plot, it's not unbelievable something changed between when he got his information and when the game launched.

kuYuri

CoD going further into the future was a matter of "when" (see Black Ops 2 and Ghosts), Titanfall may have simply accelerated that schedule.

NeoROCK

IMO Ghost was horrrrrrrible so I'm really looking forward to the next CoD and hoping that they get it right

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So futuristic shooters are the new hot?

It's about time, there have been far too many "modern era" shooters this and last gen and not enough taking it further. They jumped slightly in BO2 but it wasn't enough for me, I was expecting a "Future Warfare" only a few years after Modern Warfare came out but no one did.

Ridley327

We've all known Titanfall was coming to try to take the crown for a while, so it makes sense Activision would counter it with their own sci fi stuff. And since this would surely have a single player campaign and other non adversarial modes, it'll get my money.

That was the big rumor.

I'm guessing that they simply resurrected the game, but made it first person. It sounded like it had quite a bit of work done on it before MW3 got in trouble, so this might actually be a pretty distinctive take on the franchise.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So if Infinity Ward has the somewhat apocalyptic near future, Treyarch has the slick tech-y near future, and Sledgehammer has the further future...

What about the past? :(

Archpath1

so like what kind of future are we expecting? in terms on weaponry.
-pew pew lasers
-plasma bullets, rail guns
-fancy looking guns w/ normal bullets
-crazy district 9 guns, dat titanfall moneys

Alienous

So if Infinity Ward has the somewhat apocalyptic near future, Treyarch has the slick tech-y near future, and Sledgehammer has the further future...

What about the past? :(

How the fuck else would you expect them to lens flare wub-wub?

The future is where it's at.

That was the big rumor.
Wasn't a rumour - Sledge said it themselves.

“We came on board to make a third person action adventure game, in the Call of Duty franchise, and we were working on it about six months,” Activision general manager and studio founder Glen Schofield told Gamespot.
http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/02/sle...elling-but-modern-warfare-3-too-good-to-miss/

“It had a lot of atmosphere like, I should say Dead Space a little bit because you were underground in some places. You know, war is hell, war is scary and that’s what we were trying to get across. We did a tonne of research.”
http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/07/sledgehammers-canned-call-of-duty-effort-like-dead-space/

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How the fuck else would you expect them to lens flare wub-wub?

The future is where it's at.

Look, they've got to do Call of Duty: Jurassic Warfare, or else EA is never going to let DICE put dinosaurs in Battlefield!

So Halo was the premier FPS, CoD comes out being more realistic (so people go play it) leaving halo because of the non-realism. now CoD is going futuristic and everyone is freaking out.

Hypocrisy.

Well I mean if he nailed the plot, it's not unbelievable something changed between when he got his information and when the game launched.
Yeah if I recall he got some very specific things correct.

I think he leaked the name, too?

But - he said this information isn't from the Ghosts source and that it was just some random guy messaging with some assets, so him being right or wrong about Ghosts isn't going to mean anything for this info.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sounds like Black Ops 3 from everything he mentions: futuristic weapon, futuristic map, high-tech wrist gadget.

Its kind of weird that this year we will see a COD made by the Dead Space devs who started the franchise and a Battlefeild game made by Dead Space devs that killed the franchise.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So Halo was the premier FPS, CoD comes out being more realistic (so people go play it) leaving halo because of the non-realism. now CoD is going futuristic and everyone is freaking out.

Hypocrisy.

A ton of the CoD fanbase does not overlap with people who would even be interested in playing Halo.

CoD has only been semi-realistic. It's pretty arcadey in a lot of ways.

There is no hypocrisy in people being excited for this (and tbh I don't see anyone that excited yet since this isn't anything substantial like screens, trailer, or meaty info. maybe at E3)

VanWinkle

Hypocrisy.

You're dumb. People probably got sick of the sci-fi look in shooters. Then the realistic look came about. Now people are sick of the realistic look in shooters. Trends come and go. And beyond that, not everybody is into the realistic look, and not everybody is into the sci-fi look. People have varying opinions. Go figure.

Silkworm

So, does this mean with the uptick in future settings for 1st person shooters, someone is eventually going to adapt The Forever War into a first person shooter? *shudder* I joke because I don't think it will happen, but it would be very sad if someone made the book into a bro-shooter, simply glorifying war and thus removing all meaning of the book. Hopefully common sense would prevent such a perversion. :-\

Top Bottom