• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB INTERVIEW Q&A

Yeah, but they did give you $60 retail games for what would equal to about like a buck or two per game. Now they're giving you demos and essentially F2P games for about a buck or two per game.

Do you not realize how greedy you sound?

The Instant Game Collection consists of mostly older games that have already had a shelf life. You can't expect Sony or any other publisher to effectively commit suicide by making their games free to the majority of the PS4 userbase from day 1.

Vita launched with nothing in its IGC. Give it some time.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
If I have the PS Plus version, can I buy additional content?

Absolutely, you can buy any/all of the content that you want. You could download the PS Plus version and then decide that you want to convert this to the full digital version, then you can pay a sum of money and everything else will be delivered to you.

I actually like this idea, that the PS+ version is a full standalone game in and of itself, but that there is a (hopefully reasonably priced) way for me to upgrade it to full digital version. I know it's silly of me to worry about the untenability of PS+, being a consumer and a paying customer of Sony's. Still, I think I'm getting an unreasonable amount of value for the 50€ yearly fee. Not complaining, though.

I assume, that the upgrade makes Driveclub a permanent part of my digital collection, not subject to PS+ membership. On the other hand, this might be a slippery slope at the end of which the PS+ "free" games will be little more than extended demos, and you'll end up unlocking the full versions for extra money. That would make me less happy.

Yes, Evo probably never considered 60 fps and, as Sony was caught off guard by the bunch 60 fps xb1 games, they had this stupid statement "we may have 60 fps eventually". They won't make it, it's not just a flag you set from 30 to 60 in the source code. They should try to make it a post release patch they'll take the time they need to pull out...

No, they mentioned in magazines before E3 that their goal was 60fps.

Kind of early to be jumping to that conclusion isn't it? They're offering a good chunk of a major first party release day one with PS+.
Not to me. Online was free on PS3 so they really had to think of something to make PS+ worthwhile. Now that you need it to play online, they don't really need to do anything more. I can totally see them thinking that demos and F2P versions are a great value add.

Also, what are these other major first party day one releases? Drive Club was the only retail game I knew of. If you're talking about the indie games, those are nice but to me offering those without the real deal stuff is like selling deleted scenes but not including the actual movie.

Do you not realize how greedy you sound?
It's the exact service they offered in the past. Pay $50 a year and get like 20+ $60 retail games. Not pay $50 and get some demos and F2P games that are supposed to be free to play anyways.

And with that, the PS4 version of Plus loses the the one feature I hoped it would retain. I get the feeling every retail PS4 game on PS+ is going to be these demo with save points where you have to microtransaction and DLC your way to actually having the retail quality version.

I'm struggling to understand how the fuck you came to this argument. When has PS+ EVER offered big budget PS3 or Vita games when they first launched? Never. So why the fuck would it retain something that it's never had in the first place?

Feel free to complain if Sony hasn't made any changes 12 months after launch but right now your complaints are fucking stupid.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed that DriveClub never turned out to be an open world racer like I first hoped.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait.

If they hit 60fps and clean up some of the textures by launch.....hnnnnnggggg.

It's the exact service they offered in the past. Pay $50 a year and get like 20+ $60 retail games. Not pay $50 and get some demos and F2P games that are supposed to be free to play anyways.

There's literally nothing on the PS4 right now.

If they stop giving good games out two years after the launch of the PS4, then you've got platform to stand on. Right now, you sound you're expecting Sony to just hand you their entire PS4 software library right now.

Tiops

Of course they won't give you the full game. It's a launch title, available at the release day of the console. Vita took a long time just to get PS+, PS4 will have it day one.

The other games, that are released some time after the release time, like every game we get for PS3 and Vita now at Plus, probably will be the full version.

DrDamn

This is in addition to the $60 games your single PS+ sub gets you on PS3 and additional Vita games. I wasn't expecting anything on PS+ for PS4 for a good year. So this and the Indie games are a pleasant surprise.

DBT85

I actually like this idea, that the PS+ version is a full standalone game in and of itself, but that there is a (hopefully reasonably priced) way for me to upgrade it to full digital version. I know it's silly of me to worry about the untenability of PS+, being a consumer and a paying customer of Sony's. Still, I think I'm getting an unreasonable amount of value for the 50€ yearly fee. Not complaining, though.

I assume, that the upgrade makes Driveclub a permanent part of my digital collection, not subject to PS+ membership. On the other hand, this might be a slippery slope at the end of which the PS+ "free" games will be little more than extended demos, and you'll end up unlocking the full versions for extra money. That would make me less happy.

They have already said that you will be able to buy the upgrade to the full title at a discount. They have not said how much it will be.

I'm sure it will follow other games in that if you buy it, you don't need PS+ to use it.

quickwhips

At day one? You're being unreasonable.
No im not. After ms build i decide ms vision wont get better and thought ps+ and more powerful console was the way to go even though i hate controller sticks. But if ps+ has lost value then i might just go pc...i feel im trying to come to conclusion after ps+ being great now that multiplayer is behind it maybe sony feels they wont put as much value in it.

No im not. After ms build i decide ms vision wont get better and thought ps+ and more powerful console was the way to go even though i hate controller sticks. But if ps+ has lost value then i might just go pc...i feel im trying to come to conclusion after ps+ being great now that multiplayer is behind it maybe sony feels they wont put as much value in it.

What should they do then? It can't be hard to understand that can't give you a full $60 game on day one and continue to give you games for PSVita/PS3. That $50 a year covers three whole platforms.

It's not unreasonable to expect a free $60 game at launch as part of your $50/year subscription?

You can't possibly be this dumb, can you?

quickwhips

Don't offer drive club just indie games then. At least people will understand what they are getting. They didn't offer have a game for ps3 did they?

shandy706

There is no performance customisation in the game.

Boo...

So does this basically mean the people with the fastest car (that are good racers) always win?

Do races online ONLY contain a single type of car for every racer? Does the game use rubber-banding due to say, an 800HP car racing a 450HP car?

raphanum

What is the matter with some of you? How can you be complaining about a service for a product that hasn't even been released yet? Adding to the fact that giving away full retail games at launch would be financially stupid. Sony offers you a launch title as part of PS+ and you complain that it's not enough. How about waiting for more games to be released? It feels like gaf is being populated by entitled teenagers.

Jubern

I'm not big on racing games, but like to play one casually from time to time. I feel like I'll have some good fun with this at launch.

No, they've got plenty of time until launch, so both studios should be able to improve aspects of their titles. Might be more challenging for Evolution though; I'd imagine getting to 60 would be a significant undertaking for them, at this stage.

As far as which one is the true 'next-gen' racer, I think objectively, anyone would agree that Driveclub has a cooler feature set right now with all the social features, but lacks some important things that Forza 5 has, like its 'Drivatar' AI system.

oh thank god, for a moment there I thought you where serious

How in the world of buggery has it lost value? It now has PSV, PS3 and now PS4 content.

Yes I see how it has lost value.

Where's the refund button, quick everyone!

Boo...

So does this basically mean the people with the fastest car (that are good racers) always win?

Do races online ONLY contain a single type of car for every racer? Does the game use rubber-banding due to say, an 800HP car racing a 450HP car?

If anything no performance customization actually makes the game more balanced.

moolhy

Banned
Isn't your target framerate something you should be working around fairly early in game development? To say "targeting" 60fps but only managing 30 four months out from launch instills no confidence in me whatsoever.

True, but this is PS4. With PS3 I wouldn't really get my hopes up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, the retail version is gonna sell about zero copies, right? This game is all about the social online experience, and to play online you need PS+, which means you're already getting the PS+ version of the game. That version can be upgraded to the full version at a discount, according to Yoshida. So yeah, what would the point of buying the retail version be, unless you really want the game on disc (or plan on only playing offline, which seems like a bad idea with this game)?

So, the retail version is gonna sell about zero copies, right? This game is all about the social online experience, and to play online you need PS+, which means you're already getting the PS+ version of the game. That version can be upgraded to the full version at a discount, according to Yoshida. So yeah, what would the point of buying the retail version be, unless you really want the game on disc (or plan on only playing offline, which seems like a bad idea with this game)?

Asynchronous online play is available without PSN+. Meaning the challenging other teams, trying to beat their times, speeds, scores are all available without subscription.

PS+ has never offered full retail games for free on day one. This crusade you're on makes no sense. I think Sony said F2P games don't require PS+ either.

Go easy on him, I don't think english is his first language so he has some trouble articulating his ideas.

I think his ideas are perfectly easy to understand, they just lack any real logic behind them. PS+ has never offered retail games on day one and yet he's arguing that they should and that the lack of them means PS+ is losing value. It doesn't matter what language you write that in, it isn't based in reality.

DrDamn

I was referring to Drive Club PS+ Edition. It's either a paid demo where you DLC your way to the real version or a F2P game where you do the same.

Or a fully featured version where you optionally DLC yourself to a version with more cars and tracks. The PS+ version has the full single player campaign and is fully featured.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I thought they had announced that the game would include weather effects back when they originally unveiled the game in Feb. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Will there be weather effects?

This is actually a question that comes up quite a bit. Obviously, what we’re currently focussed on is getting the game perfect and building a community around it first, but if there is a call for weather effects, nothing is currently off the cards at this point. The game that you play day 1 on PlayStation 4 is not going to be the same game you play a year down the line because it will have evolved a lot. We’re keeping the development architecture of the tracks etc very much open. We’re not closing off anything just yet. Time of day is something that will be implemented at launch.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm glad there is a bit more clarification regarding the PS+ version that's the version I'll be going with and with the ability to buy only the extra content I want it seems like a pretty great deal to me.

As long as the frame rate is locked somewhere between 30 and 60 I'll be OK with it. Obviously great if they can lock 60fps but it doesn't sound like they are overtly confident that they can.

jet1911

I thought they had announced that the game would include weather effects back when they originally unveiled the game in Feb. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Nope I clearly remember them announcing waether and ToD. Now there won't be weather at launch. Great...

I don't think it would. Much like right now, when you buy DLC for PS+ games you only get to keep the DLC if your sub runs out. Otherwise, what would be the point of the retail version of Drive Club?

So, no weather effects at launch. Interesting.

That's a big shock for me.

They had talked about their idea of 2 teams, "clubs", challenging each other over a week on a single track. The 24 hour day/night cycle helping with this idea you have a certain amount of time to set records, high speeds, lap times etc...

but weather would be amazing for that scenario. Someone sets an amazing lap time on the second to last day of the challenge. Then the last day it rains nearly all day, noone can beat his time but the rain subsides, sun comes out, tyres start to warm up....it would be like F1 Qualifying sessions!

GorillaJu

I don't think it would. Much like right now, when you buy DLC for PS+ games you only get to keep the DLC if your sub runs out. Otherwise, what would be the point of the retail version of Drive Club?

For people who don't have PS+? They're probably using it as an incentive to buy the system. Buy our system day one and you get one of our big marquee titles free*!

Microsoft is doing the same with Killer Instinct.

I imagine if you pay the $20 or whatever it costs to expand to the full retail version, it becomes a permanent ownership and not simply treated as DLC like for normal PS+ games.

DBT85

There is supposed to be an upgrade and there is supposed to be DLC. I imagine if you buy the former you won't need a PS+ account, but if you buy the latter you will.

DrDamn

Nope I clearly remember them announcing waether and ToD. Now there won't be weather at launch. Great...

Possibly subtle difference between weather effects (rain, snow etc) which is not in yet, and weather (overcast/sunny etc) which is in.

Top Bottom