• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB INTERVIEW Q&A

MaLDo

Its really weird because he even talks about weather later on the interview as if its a thing.

Maybe they're willing to throw stuff out to get it running at 60.

I guess vertical development now means expand development beyond release date. PS+ version is some kind of cheat for them in order to cut features in the first run and add every promise in the long run. Problem is people that buy retail version because they are interested in offline play, what if they finally buy an half-asset game?

Arukado

There is supposed to be an upgrade and there is supposed to be DLC. I imagine if you buy the former you won't need a PS+ account, but if you buy the latter you will.
More like you can upgrade the ps+ version to the digital version, and only buy the dlc for the digital version.

DBT85

Did any of you here pre-order a PS4 already?

Yes.

Possibly subtle difference between weather effects (rain, snow etc) which is not in yet, and weather (overcast/sunny etc) which is in.

I also wonder if they are talking about rain vs a wet track. Or snowing vs a snowy/ice track.

More like you can upgrade the ps+ version to the digital version, and only buy the dlc to the digital version.

That's not what it's sounded like to me. It's sounded like there are separate choices. If you want to keep the PS+ version and buy a track and a few cars then you can, and if you want to upgrade to the full game then you can too.

Exactly, i used to run a club in TDU 2 and it was painful to manage it beyond 20 members not to mention we had a lot of complains for not having a chance to race for the club and the inactivity tracking was difficult as we increased in numbers so i think 12 is perfect.

Why not raise the club limit, and weight the score accordingly?

Reading the Dev Quotes about this game, about how it will be different from the day one game. Reminds me of the quote from Mark Cerny about "Living Software" about how since games are on the Hard Drive and if you're connected to the internet over time your experience will change with new content already in the game.

_Ryo_

Is there a fixed structure in place for single player?

Yes there is, we have a championship mode that has a good deal of gameplay so if you do choose to play offline, you won’t be disappointed.

Is it necessary to complete the single player mode in order to unlock cars for multiplayer?

Not at all, you can play whatever way you want, whenever you want.

This makes it sound like you don't need the internet at all to play this game, I thought it was always on, but you can apparently play offline now?

DrDamn

Reading the Dev Quotes about this game, about how it will be different from the day one game. Reminds me of the quote from Mark Cerny about "Living Software" about how since games are on the Hard Drive and if you're connected to the internet over time your experience will change with new content already in the game.

I really like what Clap Hanz did with Everbody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf this generation on PS3. Rather than yearly or bi-yearly releases it's evolved with DLC, updates to how you can play online, 3D modes, Move support etc. A lot of game types would fit that model quite well. More of that approach is good. Also announcing a PS4 EG/HSG at TGS would be nice :)

Arukado

That's not what it's sounded like to me. It's sounded like there are separate choices. If you want to keep the PS+ version and buy a track and a few cars then you can, and if you want to upgrade to the full game then you can too.
Could be. Maybe i read it wrong, but that would be weird, i mean, you would be paying dlc for a game locked to your ps+ subscription.

Edit: Well, at least it's weird for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That was my thought. I thought it would be a large scale club experience. Like a GAF club with a hundred people in it.

That would make your personal contributions to the club's progress count for almost nothing, and I imagine that wouldn't be very rewarding. Smaller clubs will make the experience much more meaningful for everyone involved.

Isn't your target framerate something you should be working around fairly early in game development? To say "targeting" 60fps but only managing 30 four months out from launch instills no confidence in me whatsoever.

It's a day to day process. Obviously they are working on a lot of things to make the game really polished along with getting it to 60fps. Game development takes time. You can't just start at 60 without knowing how big it will be and what you will need to get 60

DBT85

Could be. Maybe i read it wrong, but that would be weird, i mean, you would be paying dlc for a game locked to your ps+ subscription.

Edit: Well, at least it's weird for me.

Can do that with loads of games though. I think that';s part of why companies like putting games on PS+, because it'll sell some DLC.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I guess vertical development now means expand development beyond release date. PS+ version is some kind of cheat for them in order to cut features in the first run and add every promise in the long run. Problem is people that buy retail version because they are interested in offline play, what if they finally buy an half-asset game?

How is PS+ a "cheat" if they will also release the full game at the same time? It will be the basic framework with a starter package of cars and tracks, and then you buy more individually if you want to end up with the retail amount.

And I like this idea of growing over time rather than put out sequels that fragment a community over annual sequels. As someone mentioned, Hot Shots Golf did it very well.

Nice to hear about the single player. But..

ibrWwxVIIJtsaW.gif

It better end up looking like that. The E3 build looked like shit (off cam footage, I know)

I wonder how much the content that is missing from the PS+ version will be.
I wonder how much content there will be on the full priced retail version.

Sounds like a lot is being held back.

I'm rewatching the PS4 reveal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8KLN-l86o&feature=player_detailpage#t=3513s

"Pick any time of day, in any weather, at any time of the year."

Boo. :(
Not good. Not good. :(

So, rushed game for launch shifts features to DLC?

GameSeeker

It better end up looking like that. The E3 build looked like shit (off cam footage, I know)

If you go back in time and look at the Motorstorm trailers from E3 2006 and TGS 2006, you will see than the final Motorstorm that shipped in Dec 2006 looked just like the trailers.

So far for DriveClub we have a Feb 2013 reveal trailer and a E3 trailer. We may get new trailers at Gamescom and/or TGS. Given Evolution's history it is very reasonable to assume that the final game will look as good as the trailers.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I wonder how much content there will be on the full priced retail version.

Sounds like a lot is being held back.

Yeah, seems like it. It'll probably be like a larger scale demo. If that is the case, I'll just pick up the full version anyway, even though I have PS+.

Will probably have a dabble with the PS+ version but I'm really not keen on the whole 'club' philosophy - will no doubt wait for GT6 port.

Ding-Ding

So, some surprises with tracks?

What I want to know is will there be point to point. How long will some off the P2P's be. Finally, is Stelvio Pass going to be one of them?

If it is... Fuck 60fps as I'm sold...

Zep

Banned
I'll...just download the PS+ version and go from there. Too many things up in the air with this game.

I don't get what the big deal is about 60 FPS.

The console is surely capable of it.

Hell, Forza is doing 60 FPS and that is on weaker hardware for crying out loud.

GET IT DONE!

Shaneus

In what way?
Because sans weather, it sounds like a new PGR game :)

Only 12 people in a club?

Expected a lot more.
I think it's far better to have more people than less. 12 is a good number because you will actually have a chance to work with and know your teammates rather than just have them as a name that appears on a screen every so often a la Horizon. You'd actually feel like you're a part of a group than just having some prefix before your username.
In a hypothetical situation (obviously), if you're meeting up with a group of friends for any sort of off-the-cuff social gathering, around about 10-12 people is the sort of figure you'd expect amongst a tightly-knit community. Seems like it's perfect for a game like this.

GET IT DONE!
A lot of the Forza stuff isn't dynamic compared to what we saw at E3. Felt more sterile to me, personally.

Shaneus

Special version for PS+ which is missing some shit? That's a first. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.
Kinda makes sense, though. I suspect this will be one of the very few times we see it, mostly because it's a brand new game and they've never released a full, brand new game day 1 on PS+ for free.

amar212

Please tell me Logitech has said anything about the ps4 that is good news about our wheels?

Logitech closed its wheel division in 2010 and ceased any console-related periphery development in 2012.

You will not hear anything from them I suppose.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tracks are based off real locations but tweaked to a point where we’ve used DEM data to get the correct geometry of the landscapes of the particular areas. We are aiming to capturing the heart on the soul of the location, the particular road types found in each type of location, the types of corners, the feel and the wear on the tarmack, the flora etc.

Sounds like evolution reusing their WRC tech for the tracks.

I'm so glad there is a free PS+ version for this, not sure I've ever been so on the fence for a racing game before. They just aren't showing anything that really excites me. Also the recent trend for open world tracks isn't my preference, I like circuits or street racing. I suppose you can make memorable tracks in outdoors scenery but it seems there is more focus on how many miles of road you have in a game - quantity over quality.

DBT85

GET IT DONE!

The PS3 can do 60FPS 1080 if devs want it to. You just have to make design choices to make that happen. Most devs make choices that mean 30fps is the best you will get. They could have run at 60, but it would have meant a lower fidelity. Same with resolution.

I don't understand how so many people don't understand this.

stryke

GET IT DONE!

No one, well at least not me, is not saying PS4 is not capable. What puzzles me is that 4 months out from launch, their demo locks it at 30. Furthermore, they couldn't even give a guarantee. That indicates to me 60fps wasn't even a significant priority in the first place.

While me knowing next to nothing about game development probably undermines any legitimacy in my concerns, I've never seen a console developer so cagey about their fps.

Also, concentrating on things like star constellations, seriously who gives a fuck.

shink

Kinda makes sense, though. I suspect this will be one of the very few times we see it, mostly because it's a brand new game and they've never released a full, brand new game day 1 on PS+ for free.
I think so too. From what it looks like Sony wanted paid online subs but still needs IGC to entice subscribers and not piss off the fan base. So best compromise is a slightly cut version of one of their first party games at launch.
I have a feeling it might be this way for a couple months though or even a year.

KeRaSh

So how does the 2 team member requirement work?
Can I start a club but not compete online until I have at least one other person joining my club? How do I join a club if I can't compete with other clubs and the club I want to join doesn't know if I'm any good?

MaLDo

How is PS+ a "cheat" if they will also release the full game at the same time? It will be the basic framework with a starter package of cars and tracks, and then you buy more individually if you want to end up with the retail amount.

And I like this idea of growing over time rather than put out sequels that fragment a community over annual sequels. As someone mentioned, Hot Shots Golf did it very well.

Because surely it would be more difficult to cut weather effects (after confirmation) in a game that only had a retail release. With the promise of constant evolution and free entry into the product (paying ps+), promised features can be left for after the release and people will see it as an advantage (the game evolves every month).

DBT85

So how does the 2 team member requirement work?
Can I start a club but not compete online until I have at least one other person joining my club? How do I join a club if I can't compete with other clubs and the club I want to join doesn't know if I'm any good?

You can set times and shit without even being online, so I assume you don't have to be in a club to do so. So potential teams could see how good you are before adding you.

What I think would be cool is a GAF league. Since I'm sure there will be more than 12 people that want to play as part of one team, we could have several teams in a league situation like fantasy football. I doubt there would be enough players to have multiple leagues, but that would be cool too.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Because surely it would be more difficult to cut weather effects (after confirmation) in a game that only had a retail release. With the promise of constant evolution and free entry into the product (paying ps+), promised features can be left for after the release and people will see it as an advantage (the game evolves every month).

That makes no sense. Because it will be released in full on the same day. So people will pay full price on day one, which means it needs to be a fully featured product.

PS+ is not an excuse to cut anything because more than likely they will encourage people to pay the "upgrade" fee to get the fully featured game.

enra

Neo Member
Does anyone have information on the controls for this game?
Is it possible to use the D-pad for steering? Can I use the face buttons for braking and accelerating?

Portugeezer

GET IT DONE!

Dynamic lighting and weather in Driveclub.

Prebaked lighting, no night time, no weather in Forza 5.

I'm rewatching the PS4 reveal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8KLN-l86o&feature=player_detailpage#t=3513s

"Pick any time of day, in any weather, at any time of the year."

Boo. :(
Aw that sucks. I remembered that and that was part of why I was excited about the game.

Please tell me Logitech has said anything about the ps4 that is good news about our wheels?
Yeah I wish Sony could say something about wheels. I'm willing to buy one at launch as long as the quality is there, but right now I have no idea what will be supported and what won't.

sunnz

No weather is disappointing.

It seems like since Feburary, my excitement went from like 8/10, to 1030592/10 ( rumour it was an open world game) back to 8/10 when we found it wasn't true to around 6/10 after all the E3 videos and no weather news.

Please impress me Evo.

Top Bottom