• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB Season Pass (U.S.) just dropped to $13! PS+ Upgrade Bundle $20!!!

I just got Forza Horizon 2 a little over a week ago. Would have waited if I had known this was coming. I hate you all.
Forza Horizon 2 is by most accounts a great game. Many Driveclub stans really had a grudge against it because it was hogging the positive buzz at the time Driveclub limped out.

(both games are fine)

xeris

Forza Horizon 2 is by most accounts a great game. Many Driveclub stans really had a grudge against it because it was hogging the positive buzz at the time Driveclub limped out.

(both games are fine)

Typed that as I purchased Driveclub and started the download. I figure there can't be too many racing games in my life. The only thing I might not have done was pick up the Storm Island DLC for Horizon 2 right away.

Griss

Wish it had euro and us tracks. Its not the usual popular ones that most of us watch races on. I am sure in India these are famous tracks. I just never heard of those tracks in Chile. So I don't really care about them.

The game is fine. I played the free version. Its not that much content for 20 bucks. Forza has 450 cars this one has 50 something. So lets not get crazy. Its a good deal but its kind of like a DLC pack. If they would include Nurburgring Nordschleife I would be happy to get this. But its 20 wasted on game that will get little use right now. They are doing this to get enough people on board to buy season two. The tracks they are adding between now and Christmas are sprint tracks per the gamestop article, guessing this will be good for fans of drifting.

Nah, you're missing the point. It's not that kind of game at all. The whole idea is to drive ludicrously cool cars in ludicrously exotic places.

You want to race the Nurburgring or Spa get Forza or Gran Turismo. If you're an F1 fan buy the new F1 game, obviously. Your tastes are more than catered for. But if you want to race on some of the most outrageously fun, beautiful and cool tracks in unique locations that rarely feature in games, get Driveclub. These tracks are all fictional on purpose, to allow the artists and track designers to do their thing and make them crazy fun and utterly spectacular. (Yes I know many of them are supposedly 'based' on real roads and locations, but these are fictional tracks.)

The 30fps decision speaks exactly to what Driveclub is. It puts 'fucking awesome' ahead of realism, and it's why I love it so much. Along with the fictional tracks I think it's a fantastic decision, and gives Driveclub a unique niche.

Shaneus

I have the steelbook version, gonna buy the digital just for the ease of use since I play this game alot.
Way ahead of you, I double-bought both as soon as I could because I couldn't wait for the delivery of the steelbook. Happy to support Evo :)

If I get the retail disc + the season pass, is that the same amount of content as this bundle deal? I don't really want to download 15GB on my DSL connection.

Same content. Also the DLCs were already downloaded via the patches, you get them right away after unlocking them.

In the original Driveclub threads there were tons of posts trashing FH2 and people flipping the fuck out in general if the name came up. There was a lot of sensitivity at the time in reaction to the negative buzz around the game, and that contributed to it. I remember in particular the integrity of Jeff Gerstmann of all people being questioned when he didn't like it.

I'm not going to dig up examples so take that as you will.

Amon37

I DID IT.

I love everything about the PS+ version EXCEPT the drifting. Drifting suuuuucks.

I rented the disc version and when I couldn't progress anymore because I had to drift to get stars or whatever, I sent it back. I'd love to buy it if I could complete the game without one single drifting event.

And no I don't want to "git gud"

MattyG

Banned
Is this a permanent price drop or just a 1 or 2 week thing?

Also, this makes me think we'll be seeing a season pass 2 soon. Get people in on the old content and then just when they're finishing, "hey, here's some more!"

In the original Driveclub threads there were tons of posts trashing FH2 and people flipping the fuck out in general if the name came up. There was a lot of sensitivity at the time in reaction to the negative buzz around the game, and that contributed to it. I remember in particular the integrity of Jeff Gerstmann of all people being questioned when he didn't like it.

I'm not going to dig up examples so take that as you will.

Its because there are more PS4 players(also first exclusive racing game and new IP) than XB1 players(existing IP and they had FM5 before) due to almost 2:1 user base so it had more hype and DC is the most beautiful racing game compared to Forza 2 except content at launch.

Mabufu

Banned
I rented the disc version and when I couldn't progress anymore because I had to drift to get stars or whatever, I sent it back. I'd love to buy it if I could complete the game without one single drifting event.

Shameful.

nib95

Banned

Why don't you want to git gud at drifting lol? Once you get it, they're one of the easiest events in the game. I can pretty much gold star most drift events on my first attempt. Like racing, there's just a technique and method to it, that's all, only drift events are easier in that you don't have to learn entire tracks, just a few corners.

Orca

Did they ever add muscle cars to the game? I checked out the 'horsepower pack' and it was just European cars.

nib95

Banned
Did they ever add muscle cars to the game? I checked out the 'horsepower pack' and it was just European cars.

A fair few. Dodge Charger SRT-8 and SRT Viper, Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, ZR1 and Z06, and the Camaro ZL1. I don't generally tend to drive them as much though, as they are often slightly heavier and less planted than some. A few of them sound incredible though, and they can be fun to kick around, tail happy and all. Game needs more Japanese cars now.

I hit level 68 tonight and I've only ever completed the first tour's very first drift event - and even then only two stars. So you can definitely avoid em if you want to.

My entire tour progress, vanilla and DLC, is swiss cheese with holes where there are drift events. Maybe someday I'll give them more of a try, but time trials and races keep me satisfied plenty.

Golicz

Banned
But if you want to race on some of the most outrageously fun, beautiful and cool tracks in unique locations that rarely feature in games, get Driveclub. These tracks are all fictional on purpose, to allow the artists and track designers to do their thing and make them crazy fun and utterly spectacular. (Yes I know many of them are supposedly 'based' on real roads and locations, but these are fictional tracks.)

I like fictional tracks; I remember Gran Turismo on the ps1 was great at the time precisely because tracks like Clubman Stage Route 5 & Trial Mountain gave a real unique sense of adventure to game. When I want 'real' tracks, I want a simulation game like F1, whereas a fictional racing genre requires fictional tracks, IMO.

I have the PS+ edition of Driveclub & I was pleasantly surprised (time trial was certainly addictive).

Elixist

im digging these tracks. the handling man is so much fun. sometimes it feels a little ridge racery to me well worth the twenty.

They've changed the drift mechanic and made the points easier to get, they are all pretty simple now.

bombshell

I bought the season pass but why the other tours are still shown as "coming soon"? No new cars show up as well. I've tried repairing license with no luck.

This post is a couple hours old, but none replied to you. Did you figure it out? After you bought the season pass you still need to go in the store and redeem every piece of DLC. They are now all showing as free for you with the season pass.

God, I wish I enjoyed this game. $20 is an incredible price and the game looks absolutely stunning visually, but I just don't enjoy playing it. I want to, but my love of arcade racers is just too rooted in Ridge Racer and OutRun and their complete abandonment of realism. Driveclub is a great game, but it's like... half-arcade/half-simulation, and the arcade part isn't emphasized enough for the Ridge Racer/OutRun fan in me to enjoy. The turning and drifting feel so restrictive and rooted in realism...

Still, I'm glad it has found its audience. It's certainly deserving.

This post is a couple hours old, but none replied to you. Did you figure it out? After you bought the season pass you still need to go in the store and redeem every piece of DLC. They are now all showing as free for you with the season pass.

Thanks, will try in a bit, this is kinda frustrating lol.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Euro prices down as well it seems :) No guarantees, didn't check for a while, but the prices seem to match the ones from this thread. DE here.

Season pass 12,99€
Full ver + pass 19,99 €

Mabufu

Banned
God, I wish I enjoyed this game. $20 is an incredible price and the game looks absolutely stunning visually, but I just don't enjoy playing it. I want to, but my love of arcade racers is just too rooted in Ridge Racer and OutRun and their complete abandonment of realism. Driveclub is a great game, but it's like... half-arcade/half-simulation, and the arcade part isn't emphasized enough for the Ridge Racer/OutRun fan in me to enjoy. The turning and drifting feel so restrictive and rooted in realism...

Still, I'm glad it has found its audience. It's certainly deserving.

There's nothing wrong in trying to learn something new.
You are missing something great just because you cant make this effort.

You know, accomplishing challenges can be a lot of fun and rewarding that just having a peaceful walk?

I'm talking to you, and to all who finds Driveclub hard. It isnt. Is your mind that is too closed and that is not making you any favours.

You know, accomplishing challenges can be a lot of fun and rewarding that just having a peaceful walk?

I'm talking to you, and to all who finds Driveclub hard. It isnt. Is your mind that is too closed and that is not making you any favours.

Whoa. This is quite a reply.

I'm not sure why you sound so offended. I literally said Driveclub is great and deserves its success even if it isn't for me.

Anyway, I did try. Played the PS+ version for a good while and really tried to grapple with its mechanics before regretfully deciding it wasn't my thing.

MikeyB

I want to kick your soapbox.

Sometimes, people have challenging day to day lives and when they want to relax, they don't feel like being frustrated.

I'm going to buy Driveclub even though it frustrates me (Sega Rally is more my style). But when I have a hard day at work, I'll play games I have already mastered. It's not because my mind is closed, it is because I want to relax.

Mabufu

Banned
I want to kick your soapbox.

Sometimes, people have challenging day to day lives and when they want to relax, they don't feel like being frustrated.

I'm going to buy Driveclub even though it frustrates me (Sega Rally is historically my style). But when I have a hard day at work, I'll play games I have already mastered. It's not because my mind is closed, it is because I want to relax.

Sure you have a point, but a racing game is not for relaxing. For relaxing you have Journey, hohokum...

Plus, DC is not a sim, it takes 20 minutes to learn the mechanics. Then you only have to practice.

Brake before turns, take closed turns from outside, dont accelerate at full at the same time you are turning or you will spin/release throttle when your car is not responding.

And to drift, dont take the turns at full speed, come from outside, hand-brake, spin your car a bit, and control the car with the throttle.

Is just that is beyond my understanding how people finds hard such a simple driving mechanic.

I mean, I'm perfectly fine on not playing DC because you want to relax, but missing a such a great game just because you dont want to practice a bit, well, it's up to the player ofc, as well as it's up to me telling him that's a mistake if he likes to have fun.

Whoa. This is quite a reply.

I'm not sure why you sound so offended. I literally said Driveclub is great and deserves its success even if it isn't for me.

Anyway, I did try. Played the PS+ version for a good while and really tried to grapple with its mechanics before regretfully deciding it wasn't my thing.

Fine, fine. Didnt want to sound like a dick even if I did. I'm a little over-passionate over this kind of things. Sorry.

rawd

So I install the free PS Plus edition first, then it installs that $20 upgrade after I guess? Downloading both now.

Hustler

Is it an issue if I already own the game on disc and bought some of the dlc content already? I want to buy the ps+ package and sell my physical copy.

Sure you have a point, but a racing game is not for relaxing. For relaxing you have Journey, hohokum...

Plus, DC is not a sim, it takes 20 minutes to learn the mechanics. Then you only have to practice.

Brake before turns, take closed turns from outside, dont accelerate at full at the same time you are turning or you will spin/release throttle when your car is not responding.

And to drift, dont take the turns at full speed, come from outside, hand-brake, spin your car a bit, and control the car with the throttle.

Is just that is beyond my understanding how people finds hard such a simple driving mechanic.

I mean, I'm perfectly fine on not playing DC because you want to relax, but missing a such a great game just because you dont want to practice a bit, well, it's up to the player ofc, as well as it's up to me telling him that's a mistake if he likes to have fun.

Fine, fine. Didnt want to sound like a dick even if I did. I'm a little over-passionate over this kind of things. Sorry.

I love DC and have the game and season pass but the game is fucking hard man. I know how it controls and all that but this is the kind of game that if you do one little error, you lose the race completely which i can understand why it's frustrating for most people, including a lot of my friends who come home and try it for a couple of hours.

DriveClub is not in the same vein as a real arcade racer like Ridge Racer or Burnout. It has a sim-like vibe sometimes mixed with fictional arcade tracks and style. Which is a unique package when said and done, but not for everyone. Most people say it's a hard game and a frustrating one at that and i fully understand that, as sometimes i want to progress in the game but so many frustrating moments prevent me from doing so.

Still love the game because it looks amazing and is very rewarding when i complete an event. This is the style of "Evolution Games" games. Motorstorm had the same kind of difficulty.

Damn it, I always do this. I put all of my set aside gaming money into my Steam wallet because there's nothing I thought I wanted on the ps4, and now the season pass is £10. Fml

Mabufu

Banned
I love DC and have the game and season pass but the game is fucking hard man. I know how it controls and all that but this is the kind of game that if you do one little error, you lose the race completely which i can understand why it's frustrating for most people, including a lot of my friends who come home and try it for a couple of hours.

DriveClub is not in the same vein as a real arcade racer like Ridge Racer or Burnout. It has a sim-like vibe sometimes mixed with fictional arcade tracks and style. Which is a unique package when said and done, but not for everyone. Most people say it's a hard game and a frustrating one at that and i fully understand that, as sometimes i want to progress in the game but so many frustrating moments prevent me from doing so.

Still love the game because it looks amazing and is very rewarding when i complete an event. This is the style of "Evolution Games" games. Motorstorm had the same kind of difficulty.

You are right on the frustrating part. I do understand that.

But the thing is, even if I didnt play too many racing games, I've always been an arcade guy too. Loved Burnout and NfS Underground games. And some Colin McRae Rally also.
ANd never played a sim.

But I didnt find DC anything especially difficult. When I started it, I just said, "I want to like this game", and got into it pretty fast. Sure it have its learning curve, but I think some people just over-magnify it because they struggle at the first tries.

And I do also recall the difficulty gap late-campaign when you start driving faster cars. It's noticeable. But again I didnt had any problem getting over it in a couple of days.

So... dont know what to say. I think people exaggerates over the difficulty, and gives up pretty fast, because they just dont like to challenge themselves. I like to, so that may explain my radical point of view.

RiverBed

Banned
I just upgraded the PS+ version. Man, so much content dropped on me at once- and I didn't download a thing to PS4. NOICE!

Top Bottom