• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Droid DNA unveiled: Verizon's first 1080p phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that 1080p cell phone screens are here, Gizmodo has started the "Its not an iphone? oh... well PPI doesn't matter anyways" jamboree.

http://gizmodo.com/5960191/techs-new-most-meaningless-spec-ppi

andycapps

By the way, all of these spiffy specs will rely on an embedded 2,020mAh battery for its power supply, but it'll have Qi-compatible wireless charging to help out when it's getting low.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/htc-droid-dna-verizon/

lets see some tests but i don't think it will be great....

The wireless charging is nice, but I'm sure most people would rather have a battery that just lasts all day. I just looked at the pictures again and the design really doesn't seem that great for HTC. Even if they changed all the red accents to just be black that would be a step forward, though it'd look boring.

tumblr_m3d6m9CA1F1qjfwapo1_250.gif

Someone morph this kid into the phone.

Valnen

That's the most beautiful phone I've ever seen. Love that phone screens are getting bigger and bigger too. I'd love a 5.5 inch one next.

andycapps

I thought that post was sarcasm. It's far from even HTC's best design, and I'm not sure how anyone would think it was the best smartphone design. If anything, it's horribly plain and looks like a phone from 2 years ago, if you didn't tell me it had a huge screen on it.

Why doesn't HTC concentrate more on battery life? At this point, adding more beefed up hardware at the expense of battery is a case of diminishing returns now. I had hoped that the Droid Razor Maxx set a precedence!

I have a Thunderbolt and without the extended battery the phone would last like two hours.....so bad...

Sarye

I took a look at the specifications and the battery concerns may be overblown.

note: may... we'll need to wait and see what people are reporting on battery life in their daily use.

Droid DNA
standby: 14.6 days
usage: 12.8 hours

For comparison
iphone 5
standby: 9.375 days
usage: 8 hrs

nokia lumia 920
standby: 13.3 days
usage: 9 hrs

Samsung Galaxy S3
standby 16.6 days
usage 15 hours

It seems like the Droid DNA will definitely last a day, especially when it looks like it'll last longer than the lumia 920 and the iphone 5. Compared to the galaxy s3 it's worse but not that much worse...

Of course that 16gig storage non expandable is inexcusable.. but so is the nexus 4

Shit looks fucking hot. Within a month or so I'll be in the market for a new phone (coming off of a iPhone 4S), and it'll be between this and the Note 2. I think the Note 2 is better in terms of functionality, but holy hell at this fuckawesome screen.

At this point, why even call it "1080p". Yes, 1080 progressive. It's been incredibly irrelevant for a while and meaningless in phones. Now if only desktop screens came anywhere near as good as a phone like this.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
1080p? On a 5 inch screen? I mean if it didn't impact performance in anyway, sure why not. But if it does, wouldn't you rather things just run better?

ukas

I took a look at the specifications and the battery concerns may be overblown.

note: may... we'll need to wait and see what people are reporting on battery life in their daily use.

Droid DNA
standby: 14.6 days
usage: 12.8 hours

For comparison
iphone 5
standby: 9.375 days
usage: 8 hrs

nokia lumia 920
standby: 13.3 days
usage: 9 hrs

Samsung Galaxy S3
standby 16.6 days
usage 15 hours

It seems like the Droid DNA will definitely last a day, especially when it looks like it'll last longer than the lumia 920 and the iphone 5. Compared to the galaxy s3 it's worse but not that much worse...

Of course that 16gig storage non expandable is inexcusable.. but so is the nexus 4

I agree about the battery life. People are freaking out way too much. As far as storage is concerned, once I put all my music into Google Music, my storage woes went away.

Fox Mulder

So a 1080p screen, but only 11GB's of storage, and presumably no sd card support. I love HTC's sleek red and black designs from the incredible days, but I value battery life and expandable memory a lot.

I think the shift to limited storage and using cloud services is stupid when Verizon killed unlimited plans.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So a 1080p screen, but only 11GB's of storage, and presumably no sd card support. I love HTC's sleek red and black designs from the incredible days, but I value battery life and expandable memory a lot.

I think the shift to limited storage and using cloud services is stupid when Verizon killed unlimited plans.

Stupid for whom?

nib95

Banned
Holy fuck that looks great. And the bezel, so thin! Going to be hard for the others to top this in design and physical aesthetic efficiency.

EDIT: Only 11gb useable and no sd card slot? FAIL. Seriously....

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ok, cool. Are we at the point where phone prices can start coming down now though? Almost there? Please?

There's no reason to add a better screen after 1080p. I don't think processing power needs to make any huge leaps at this point. Just do refinements and bring cost down please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom