• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Droid DNA unveiled: Verizon's first 1080p phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the hell am I supposed to see the quality of the screen over a video that has less resolution than the screen itself?

Quit bullshitting. Those vids are absolutely stunning. And every single tech journalist who has seen the phone in person has said it obliterates the competition.

I really don't know why you're so salty about a beautiful screen.

Edit. I posted this before your edit.

From gizmodo
So what's the verdict? Sadly, from what we can tell, the Super LCD 3 on the Droid DNA is not an improvement over the Super LCD 2 on the HTC One X. The tiny hair of perceptible added sharpness doesn't make up for the poor color calibration or the dimmer screen.

Still buying.

lol, I've got one too. I'm probably going iphone next round but bro fist for putting up with this piece of shit for so long.

You have my condolences. I ran from my Droid X in March (picked up a 4S). That phone fell apart pretty badly at the end of my 2 years.

bozeman

So, I upgrade from a Galaxy S later this month. This, new Galaxy, or iPhone? Seems the big knock on this is memory but I hardly store anything on my phone. No music, a few pics, no movies or TV.

People who are all excited about buying this phone should be aware of several things before they pick theirs up next week.

- 16 GB storage
- no microSD slot
- 2,020 mAh sealed battery

So, assuming you aren't planning on storing anything on your phone and you are okay with what will probably be a 3 hour battery life, then go nuts! The rest of us should probably at least wait for reviews before jumping in on this one. HTC phones are famous for highly questionable battery life, and this phone has a ridiculously tiny battery which is not replaceable, so you can't have a backup battery with you when it inevitably dies. The incredibly tiny non-expandable storage is probably a play by Verizon to force people to upgrade their data plans. Bastards.

ukas

People on XDA that have had the phone for a few days are saying the battery is slightly better, if not comparable to, the S3, which is what I currently have. I have no problems with said battery. Quote from this thread.

Sunday woke up at 7:00am, started playing with the phone and downloads from cloud service. At 9:00am drove to my son's soccer game in Scottsdale Arizona. Son played first game at 10:15am (they lost ) Played with the phone again and Bluetooth music to my truck radio. Son's 2nd game started at 1:30pm, (we won that one ) drove back to the in-laws house around 2:45. Played with the phone again downloaded more apps, played a few games, check out the new HD game that came with the phone, tried out Netflix, tried out my movies from Google Play store and did a little more cloud set up. All this on 4g and I plug the phone on the charger around 8:00pm with 20% battery. So far the battery did it's job with me.

Q&A thread from people currently using the phone, here.

Kiraly

I believe this will be a case of extremely bad benchmarks for the battery, but quite content user experiences due to the chip's very good idle state.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People who are all excited about buying this phone should be aware of several things before they pick theirs up next week.

- no microSD slot.

You people are so stuck in the past it's not even funny. Hoping and praying for SD slots is old hat.

Bets on whether Galaxy S 4 will have SD, anyone?

- 16 GB storage
- no microSD slot

So, assuming you aren't planning on storing anything on your phone and you are okay with what will probably be a 3 hour battery life, then go nuts! The rest of us should probably at least wait for reviews before jumping in on this one. HTC phones are famous for highly questionable battery life, and this phone has a ridiculously tiny battery which is not replaceable, so you can't have a backup battery with you when it inevitably dies. The incredibly tiny non-expandable storage is probably a play by Verizon to force people to upgrade their data plans. Bastards.

This is not the Verizon Galaxy Nexus or HTC Thunderbolt. Stop trolling. All impressions shows good battery life. Of course it could always be better but that S4 Pro is very efficient. Let's at least wait for proper tests (anandtech) before jumping to conclusions and putting out false info.

Alucrid

Banned

- 16 GB storage
- no microSD slot

I have 6.5 gb internal and a 32 gig micro sd. I use less than 1 gig total of that.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
This is not the Verizon Galaxy Nexus or HTC Thunderbolt. Stop trolling. All impressions shows good battery life. Of course it could always be better but that S4 Pro is very efficient. Let's at least wait for proper tests (anandtech) before jumping to conclusions and putting out false info.

Totally agree. The One X and One S both have excellent battery life. HTC got a lot better in that regard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I see apple/nexus marketing is paying off in spades. Keep that head buried in the sand.

I've owned a smartphone while you were still using a walkie talkie.

Fox Mulder

You people are so stuck in the past it's not even funny. Hoping and praying for SD slots is old hat.

How?

The cloud sure is great and all when carriers have their hyped super fast LTE limited to shitty share plans.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've owned a smartphone while you were still using a walkie talkie.

CgQyg.gif

nib95

Banned

Basically they want to force people to use their cloud services, thus save money on the devices themselves and further trap people in their eco system. No thanks.

I'll stick with my memory cards where I can easily access my music, videos or photos irrespective of my data connection and not worry about storage limits either. 64gb sd card on my 32gb S3 FTW.

kmfdmpig

The lack of SD card is going to be the deciding factor for me in choosing a Note 2 over a Droid DNA. A good/large screen cries out for video content. 11GB free space (before any apps are installed) doesn't really allow for that. I suppose I could buy a more expensive data plan and stream Netflix, but that's much more expensive than buying a $42 64GB SD card and having more data than I'll likely ever need.

Verizon hopes you'll upgrade your data plan and they can fleece you for more money every month. I'll just pay $50 once for a 64 GB MicroSD card instead. Plus I will have my music with me even when I don't have signal, imagine that.

ukas

Verizon hopes you'll upgrade your data plan and they can fleece you for more money every month. I'll just pay $50 once for a 64 GB MicroSD card instead. Plus I will have my music with me even when I don't have signal, imagine that.

And I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Imagine that. Take your shit somewhere else. God forbid someone other than you actually likes this phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
How would this work for Bell Canada network and its 4G LTE here in Canada?

It'll use Bell's HSPA signal, instead of LTE

However, I'm pretty sure a Canadian version is in the works...most Verizon exclusives wind up in Canada on one of the 3 big carriers

cube444

It'll use Bell's HSPA signal, instead of LTE

However, I'm pretty sure a Canadian version is in the works...most Verizon exclusives wind up in Canada on one of the 3 big carriers

Ahhhh, I see. That sucks because Bell has a great LTE network and they're tight with Verizon so I'm sure we'll get that here for sure.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So, I upgrade from a Galaxy S later this month. This, new Galaxy, or iPhone? Seems the big knock on this is memory but I hardly store anything on my phone. No music, a few pics, no movies or TV.
If you're not concerned about lte I'd buy a nexus 4 off contract. If you are then I'd get the dna if battery life turns out to be decent. I think i've already exceeded 16gbs on my s3 after 5 months though.

Rengoku

HTC Droid DNA:

141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm
142 grams / 5.01 ounces

Samsung Galaxy S3:

136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
133 grams / 4.69 ounces

Wait a minute... its actually the same width as an S3!?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
This looks nice. If I have an original Droid and am looking to upgrade but don't want to have to pay premium price, would it be worth it to just get something a little lower end after what I've been stuck with over the past 2.5 years? (on Verizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom